Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/ABC7Chicago/status/1433243297846382593?s=20

apparently this school district in NW indiana cancelled their school board meeting last night for the same reason. Parents refused to wear masks at the indoor meeting place so it adjourned immediately.

the last meeting went great too
https://twitter.com/Broad/status/1427424194795646986?s=20

This is essentially suburban/exurban Chicago btw

edit:

lol wtf
https://twitter.com/93wibc/status/1435627760647606280?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

zegermans posted:

so I discovered r/hermancainaward over the weekend and now you have too in case you didn't know about it, it covers all your schadenfreude needs

probably a lot over overlap, but there's also r/covidatemyface

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

it's so loving stupid that the head of the WHO doesn't have the most basic grasp of political economy

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Vaxx 3, moderna army 3ever

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-04_frVkcY

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Nothing makes me believe in the concept of an organization "seeking to kill most of the world" being true quite like WHO's entire response to COVID.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
867 students in my school district in quarantine, wonder why it’s not in the news. probably has nothing to do with how the district is mostly black

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

On a postive note this probably increases the likely hood of America rolling booster shots out broadly.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

This is the last straw. We I am now officially anti-TPLF

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1435628983538880517?s=21

is this like the thing where if you keep a combo multiplier the gently caress up does not actually count

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
KappaPride

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Is it me that is wrong? no of course not it’s 2/3rds of the experts

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
haven't checked in for a few days. how are things going? bad, i assume.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Joementum posted:

things are trending very positively, in the direction of negative

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

https://twitter.com/natesilver538/status/1435628983538880517?s=21

is this like the thing where if you keep a combo multiplier the gently caress up does not actually count

Why won't these experts just say the things that I, an idiot economist, want them to say? It doesn't make sense!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

looks like he's British based on how he wrote it

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The US is such a cool country. You can go to look up a schools COVID rates and find out they have an active shooter situation.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Experts should stop behaving in ways informed by their expert knowledge and instead OPEN BIDEN so that more people go to loving brunch

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

If nate got covid that would be pretty funny

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

ram dass in hell posted:

things are trending very positively, in the direction of negative

the positive of the negative upshot is that it was a negative for positive today

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Joementum posted:

im legit surprised my 18 year old, vaxxed cousin was coughing so bad from covid she almost went to the hospital. i'm sure that bodes well for everyone else who isn't at their peak lifetime health

in other news, my work project just ended, so i went to file unemployment. Illinois apparently just made a new site which breaks as soon as i log in
stop updating websites that work!! gently caress!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Paradoxish posted:

Ultimately none of it matters, because the whole point of this kind of messaging is the optics. It's an idealized "adult in the room" idea that can't work for a million reasons, but the WHO isn't going to comment on logistics or wasted doses in top-line messaging because those are hard problems. All they really want to do is prove that they're adults who care about equity and fairness and welp you guys figure out the rest on your own.

this is the other leg of things that this pandemic has hosed with me on. the first is everything is so stupid.

but all the rear end covering we want to appear competent and in charge while never ever doing what is necessary, even the barest minimum while simultaneously knowing what should be done.

we have these institutions to figure it out, their job and expertise is in the hard problems. they have both ability and knowledge to be acting, and instead are paying games with appearances and platitudes. these are real serious leadership failures they should be held accountable for that or it’s intentional.

no one will make a hard choices that might risk their position. instead responsibility is differed. and that’s what we now select for in institutional leaders.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Joementum posted:

We've vaccinated the sloths.
https://twitter.com/AmandaVinicky/status/1435280228977287170?s=20

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Uh no

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
cat vaccination when

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
why are americans fearful of getting sick with a virus which has killed one million people in their country? I cannot think of a reason. mental illness on the rise?

not_superiority posted:

cat vaccination when

no really though I really want to know how covid has effected pets because nearly everyone I know who has pets has lost one in the last year and a half and all 3 of my cats got terribly sick right after I had covid

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Bar Ran Dun posted:

we have these institutions to figure it out, their job and expertise is in the hard problems. they have both ability and knowledge to be acting, and instead are paying games with appearances and platitudes. these are real serious leadership failures they should be held accountable for that or it’s intentional.

It's because we're facing the first problem in probably close to 80 years that can't be "solved" through purely political means. Even recessions can be willed away to some degree with the right messaging and a willingness to ignore a ton of suffering.

The current messaging makes a lot of sense if you assume that politicians earnestly believed this would be over by last summer. Democrats in the US clearly bet the farm on Biden riding in on a wave of assured victory, but COVID just won't go away because it's a virus and it doesn't give a poo poo about any of this. Nate Silver and his increasing anger at experts who won't side with him is a perfect representation of how most western democracies actually operate.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

We do have cohesive policies in the US, those policies are just "ignore the problem and it'll go away" though.

It's how we handle poverty, crumbling infrastructure, stagnant wages, a housing market taken over by investors, gun violence, etc. No surprise we're handling covid the same way.

those aren't problems that have been ignored

they are the solutions, to the problem of rich people needing more money as quickly as possible, and also the problem of them having to look at undesirables

you ignore the "problem" and then u get to buy golden robot legs and are provided with some laughs as the peons die

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

empty whippet box posted:

why are americans fearful of getting sick with a virus which has killed one million people in their country? I cannot think of a reason. mental illness on the rise?

https://twitter.com/wallmansam/status/1435068714018217986?s=20

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

nexous posted:

so we can die as an act of solidarity with the 3rd world we refuse to give the IP rights to so they can make it themselves

no, see, we are actually protecting the third world by not allowing them to produce their own medicine, the covid vaccine is actually poison when not manufactured by superior western countries

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

empty whippet box posted:

no really though I really want to know how covid has effected pets because nearly everyone I know who has pets has lost one in the last year and a half and all 3 of my cats got terribly sick right after I had covid

When we had covid in December 2020, our cats didn't seem symptomatic if they caught it from us (more than likely they did???)

I also would like to see more info about covid in pets :/

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Did you get your custom title from editing off the drop in recent reported cases/deaths/hospitalizations that everyone keeps complaining about on charts?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

hey kid, I'm the WHO, stop all the vaccinating

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

What does any of this mean?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

two more breakthrough infections at work this week, both mild symptoms

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

open biden!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Rah! posted:

open biden!

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Sunny Side Up posted:

hey just for my own comprehension

for general immunity, it's normal for antibodies to spool down after vaccination and then spool up in reaction to infection, correct?

so it's ok and normal for your titers to decrease, but your body should produce more in the face of infection

but the problem with Delta is that you're specifically trying to arrest symptomatic infection (because symptomatic infection results in similar hospitalization/death as unvaccinated?) and Delta moves so drat fast that your body can't spool up antibody production

is this right????

There's a race between covid spreading and your body's antibody response. After a recent immune event (infection or vaccine), your body has a bunch of antibodies waiting around in the blood that are ready to kick covid's rear end. In those cases, the immune system probably wins before covid can really do anything. After a while, those go away and it becomes a race between covid and your body's longer term memory anitbody systems, which delta has a much better chance of winning.

So yeah, basically that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
covid is pretty cool