Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Huh, interesting. Thanks for the knowledge being dropped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xsf421 posted:

My 2016 RS was shipped with sync 2, but with hardware capable of running 3 if you flashed it yourself.
I'm not aware of this being a thing, they're very different hardware. As far as I'm aware all 2016s are Sync 3 across the board.

Sync 3 1.0 was pretty different from the current form though, and did not support Android Auto or CarPlay at all. 2016 models needed a software update to support Android Auto and a new USB hub to support CarPlay. This is probably what you're thinking of.

Speaking of the upgrade, I just did mine and it was exactly as easy as the internet said. Taking the pictures literally more than doubled the amount of time it took me to perform the physical install. Low single digit minutes. Updating the software from 1.0 to current was a lot more time consuming since Ford doesn't make it easy, but thankfully there is some third party software that automates most of the process.

Album for those who care: https://imgur.com/a/ueUTW1l
For the rest, the money shot:

...and yes my car is dirty as gently caress, I need to clean it.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 17, 2021

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

For general discussion: what’s the next hot hatch after a FiST? Obviously, in your opinion.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Depends on what you want out of it, and what is available in your part of the world.

For me I think I'd likely be an i30 N but I'm not sure whether I'd choose the hatch or the liftback, or the manual or auto

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wolrah posted:

I'm not aware of this being a thing, they're very different hardware. As far as I'm aware all 2016s are Sync 3 across the board.

Sync 3 1.0 was pretty different from the current form though, and did not support Android Auto or CarPlay at all. 2016 models needed a software update to support Android Auto and a new USB hub to support CarPlay. This is probably what you're thinking of.

Speaking of the upgrade, I just did mine and it was exactly as easy as the internet said. Taking the pictures literally more than doubled the amount of time it took me to perform the physical install. Low single digit minutes. Updating the software from 1.0 to current was a lot more time consuming since Ford doesn't make it easy, but thankfully there is some third party software that automates most of the process.

Album for those who care: https://imgur.com/a/ueUTW1l
For the rest, the money shot:

...and yes my car is dirty as gently caress, I need to clean it.

I used that same updater tool in my 2018 Mustang to get up to 3.4. Newest officially supported version was 3.0 or 3.1 I think, and 3.4 looks a lot nicer.

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

dissss posted:

Depends on what you want out of it, and what is available in your part of the world.

For me I think I'd likely be an i30 N but I'm not sure whether I'd choose the hatch or the liftback, or the manual or auto

In the US the pickings are getting pretty slim. GTI/Golf R, Veloster N and uhh? I guess the turbo Mazda 3 if you don't mind it being not particularly sporty? Civic Si/Type R if you consider that a hatch?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The Ionic 5 looks like a hot hatch, but will cost more than a Golf R I am sure. Hyundai is also making a Kona N which will have the Veloster drivetrain and is kind of hatchy / compact SUV.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The normal Kona is really nice. The Kia Niro as well.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

MunchE posted:

In the US the pickings are getting pretty slim. GTI/Golf R, Veloster N and uhh? I guess the turbo Mazda 3 if you don't mind it being not particularly sporty? Civic Si/Type R if you consider that a hatch?
John Cooper Works Minis (GPs are unicorns though)

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Aug 18, 2021

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

MunchE posted:

Turbo 3 is nice but it's more like a mini luxury car than a hot hatch.

Shame you don't get the Focus any more, the current version is legitimately nice (not that I've driven the ST, while it's technically available here I've never even seen one)

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
The chatter I've seen on American FiST groups I'm a part of seems to go three main directions. Veloster N, GTI, and Stinger. Obviously the Veloster N is aimed at those looking for a car that begs to be floored, the GTI's ability to competently be almost anything to anyone is well established, and then the Stinger delivers a Kia-ified take on the Audi Sportback offerings.

Obviously on the international groups a lot of people have just moved on to newer ST cars.

Personally if I decide to get rid of mine the Stinger is the likely answer.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
A buddy recently picked up a 2019 G70 with the 3.3T. It’s a very nice place to be and stock it was pretty quick. We did plugs, intake and a JB4 and it’s a riot. I haven’t driven a Stinger to compare but if I was looking to spend ~40ish the G70 would be on the list of considerations for sure.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
As I recently bragged ITT, I got a Veloster N. Brand new, with 45km on board. Now I got 1000km on it (was away for a week) and it seems to have changed a bit. At the beginning the steering was a bit stiff, the shifting seemed a bit harder too. Now, either I got used to it or it got a bit smoother. Both the steering and the shifting. Is it normal for a new car (never had a brand new car before)? Or is it just me being "broken in" by the car?

I also read on the internets (and the internets never lie ...) that maybe it would be a good idea to have the first oil change sooner than recommended (1-2k km), to get rid of whatever small impurities there may be in there from manufacturing. Is that a thing?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Volguus posted:

As I recently bragged ITT, I got a Veloster N. Brand new, with 45km on board. Now I got 1000km on it (was away for a week) and it seems to have changed a bit. At the beginning the steering was a bit stiff, the shifting seemed a bit harder too. Now, either I got used to it or it got a bit smoother. Both the steering and the shifting. Is it normal for a new car (never had a brand new car before)? Or is it just me being "broken in" by the car?

I also read on the internets (and the internets never lie ...) that maybe it would be a good idea to have the first oil change sooner than recommended (1-2k km), to get rid of whatever small impurities there may be in there from manufacturing. Is that a thing?

I bought my FiST with 1,400 miles on it, but have never heard that you need to do the first change earlier than average. If that’s a thing, I haven’t heard of it anywhere.

Speaking of things though, does anyone have a recommendation for FiST compatible mud flaps? I bought some molded ones off the Ford Parts website that claimed to be compatible, but they are molded for the base Fiesta body lines, so now I have to pursue the return process.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Aug 19, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Volguus posted:

Yes, anything that has rubber bushings involved will soften up a bit as it breaks in and then slowly decline from there until said bushings need replacement some years down the line.

quote:

Hyundai still has the 10y/100k mile warranty, right? If so, I'd be pretty comfortable following whatever they say without a worry. They don't want to be replacing a bunch of engines down the line, if it was important they'd make it part of the official schedule.

That said, an oil change is cheap and there's never anything wrong with doing one ahead of schedule. As long as you don't totally gently caress it up the worst case is it gains you nothing and you're out the cost of the oil change. If you want to know for sure take a sample and ship it off to Blackstone, let them tell you exactly what came out.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
You guys are most likely right. If they would have wanted me to do an oil change sooner, I'm sure no dealership would have objected.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I bought my FiST with 1,400 miles on it, but have never heard that you need to do the first change earlier than average. If that’s a thing, I haven’t heard of it anywhere.

Speaking of things though, does anyone have a recommendation for FiST compatible mud flaps? I bought some molded ones off the Ford Parts website that claimed to be compatible, but they are molded for the base Fiesta body lines, so now I have to pursue the return process.

RokBlokz and Rally Armor both make popular ones for the FoST, they probably make them for the FiST too. RokBlokz are hard plastic composite, Rally Armor are more of a soft rubber that kinda flap a bit in the wind when you drive. I think they both offer them in varying length in case of lowering and whatnot. I've had the RokBlokz on my FoST for over 5 years now with no problems.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
I also have the RokBlokz on mine

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the impurities thing is mostly a holdover from when cars were made on lovely tooling with insane tolerances but it won't hurt the car in any way to do an early oil change

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

wolrah posted:

The chatter I've seen on American FiST groups I'm a part of seems to go three main directions. Veloster N, GTI, and Stinger. Obviously the Veloster N is aimed at those looking for a car that begs to be floored, the GTI's ability to competently be almost anything to anyone is well established, and then the Stinger delivers a Kia-ified take on the Audi Sportback offerings.

Obviously on the international groups a lot of people have just moved on to newer ST cars.

Personally if I decide to get rid of mine the Stinger is the likely answer.

Personally I was looking Stinger then ended up in a used S4. No Regrets

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN

Quite A Tool posted:

A buddy recently picked up a 2019 G70 with the 3.3T. It’s a very nice place to be and stock it was pretty quick. We did plugs, intake and a JB4 and it’s a riot. I haven’t driven a Stinger to compare but if I was looking to spend ~40ish the G70 would be on the list of considerations for sure.

I was looking at these awhile back. I wonder how well the 2.0L cars drive, which are significantly less. I didn't realize there was a mod market, I bet those are monsters. The 3.3T is in Golf R price ranges which is a pretty good deal for what you're getting. I don't like the way the front looks but those interiors are so nice and seem like they would make a really smooth daily. I may have to test drive one.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Nomyth posted:

Facelift was for model year 2014, I have one of the first examples of a base model Fiesta from that model year and it still had SYNC 2

By the way, it's mostly broken now and can no longer play media of any kind, and I'm now too lazy to go try and reflash the software again

Turns out my SYNC 2 was broken because I forgot to turn it on :downs: I usually never leave it off so it looked weird when I hit the power at one point for some reason and forgot about it

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Amending my original Veloster N post a bit: The Android Auto USB port turns out is not always live. It is live for about 5-ish minutes after I turn off the car, it becomes live if I lock/unlock the car from the key or if I open the door. But, it turns off after that. Was confusing as hell at first. Happy though that I can leave the AAWireless device plugged in all the time and not have to worry about it. Another unexpected advantage is that since the port becomes live when I open the door, by the time I actually start the car and get moving (20-ish seconds later) the AAWireless device is ready to connect and it becomes available on the screen. Not having to wait 1-2 minutes for it like I did in the Golf is cool as cucumbers.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I just bought an ep3 for £300. I’m sure this will end well.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
300?? Jesus Christ. Let’s have a look then.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

so I just tested a manual i30 N. Pretty interesting car, especially coming from an 06 GTI.

Lots of good stuff - thing hauls rear end in 2nd and is quite torquey low which is good because 1st is very short. All the silly pops and bangs and poo poo are quite amusing and childish in a good way and I like that you can put the car in eco and it goes soft and quiet and slow - and then is a very easy calm drive.

BUT the clutch is... weird - especially when I highly value the mechanical, manual feel of my older cars clutch. There is basically no discernible bite point. It feels uniformly smooth the whole way through its throw. You can kind of just dump the thing and it basically works or more gradually release it and listen for the engine to lose revs but it feels more vague than I would like. I am going to have to drive a couple more modern manuals to see if this is common or specific to the i30 but it was a bit off putting.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Despite my best efforts, I can’t seem to break an average mpg of 24-26 in my FiST.

Is this normal? Looking online people seem to be reporting anything from 27-32.

It’s a mix of highway/city, different levels of hoonage vs light touch driving don’t seem to really make that much difference. Clutch doesn’t feel like it’s slipping, brakes feel fine/nothing seems to be sticking, etc.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Ok Comboomer posted:

Despite my best efforts, I can’t seem to break an average mpg of 24-26 in my FiST.

It’s a mix of highway/city, different levels of hoonage vs light touch driving don’t seem to really make that much difference. Clutch doesn’t feel like it’s slipping, brakes feel fine/nothing seems to be sticking, etc.

Gonna go with the basic IT route and ask if you've cleaned/replaced your air filter recently.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Qmass posted:

BUT the clutch is... weird - especially when I highly value the mechanical, manual feel of my older cars clutch. There is basically no discernible bite point. It feels uniformly smooth the whole way through its throw. You can kind of just dump the thing and it basically works or more gradually release it and listen for the engine to lose revs but it feels more vague than I would like. I am going to have to drive a couple more modern manuals to see if this is common or specific to the i30 but it was a bit off putting.

I think this is just the norm in newer manual cars. My 2017 Si was exactly like this. Nice and easy in traffic but no feel.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Night Danger Moose posted:

Gonna go with the basic IT route and ask if you've cleaned/replaced your air filter recently.

I literally picked up the car two weeks ago and it should have a new filter, I would expect it to have a new filter, but I will check. You’re probably onto something.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

I never got more than 26-27 average from new, but I also never really tried to get any better.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

This sounds pretty normal. For 32 I’d expect that to be a full highway tank on an already warmed up engine. I’ve gotten as high as 27 on my RS in that situation.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

prom candy posted:

I think this is just the norm in newer manual cars. My 2017 Si was exactly like this. Nice and easy in traffic but no feel.

This is due to either a clutch delay valve (GTI/Civic Si/etc) and/or a clutch assist spring (GTI/BRZ/etc).

Pull em and get your normal clutch pedal back.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
I have a 2015 FiST and get 27ish city and 30ish highway. Car has a lot of bolt-ons and an adjustable tune (6psi, 18psi, 22psi) on the stock turbo, I normally drive it around on the 18psi map.

Check your air filter and maybe change the spark plugs and see how it does.

EDIT: Thinking about this a bit, I have a friend who owned a 2016 FiST. He always got very low 20's, and I would say he drove the car aggressively and had a on/off style of driving with the throttle. It may just be how you're driving it.

4/20 NEVER FORGET fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Sep 7, 2021

grahm
Oct 17, 2005
taxes :(

Ok Comboomer posted:

I have a 2016 and average 26-27, mix of highway and city. I would say I drive "normally." If I do a tank of mostly highway driving I'll get 31-32.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Have any of the FiST people here done the reverse camera install or anything else that had you running wires in/out of the hatch? I am having a hell of a time getting any cables to pass through the rubber thing. I can get a screwdriver through but nothing too soft to push like a stranded copper cable, and pulling it through isn't working either thanks to the size of the connectors.

Normally I'd just go around it, but this seems like an area where not compromising the weather seal would be important.

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

wolrah posted:

Have any of the FiST people here done the reverse camera install or anything else that had you running wires in/out of the hatch? I am having a hell of a time getting any cables to pass through the rubber thing. I can get a screwdriver through but nothing too soft to push like a stranded copper cable, and pulling it through isn't working either thanks to the size of the connectors.

Normally I'd just go around it, but this seems like an area where not compromising the weather seal would be important.

Post a photo of the connectors? With those rubber boots I tend to use mechanics wire, a wire coat hanger or a large zip tie to fish wires through. Pull the boot off, stick your fish tape of choice all the way through the boot to the other side, tape your connector/wire really well to the fish tape, use a little lube and pull it through.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wolrah posted:

How bad is the paint back there?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

Post a photo of the connectors? With those rubber boots I tend to use mechanics wire, a wire coat hanger or a large zip tie to fish wires through. Pull the boot off, stick your fish tape of choice all the way through the boot to the other side, tape your connector/wire really well to the fish tape, use a little lube and pull it through.
The two cables I was initially trying to get through were a mini-USB for my dashcam and the RCA coax for my reverse cam. I gave up on the idea of putting both through and will be running the dashcam cable direct in to the headliner inside the car, but the RCA from the reverse cam is going to have to get through there somehow.

The reverse camera has a narrow four pin cable coming off it that's too short to leave the hatch, I'm looking for an appropriate extension for that which would make this a lot easier. It's barely larger than the diameter of the cable, where the RCA is almost the same size as the entire rubber connector it needs to go through.

Ok Comboomer posted:

How bad is the paint back there?
What do you mean by this? Are you suggesting I just drill another hole? I'm up for it if you can suggest a way that doesn't leave it likely to leak or have the wire get pinched up in the hinge. I put NMO mounts for ham radio antennas through my BMW so I'm certainly not afraid of attacking a car with power tools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

wolrah posted:

What do you mean by this? Are you suggesting I just drill another hole? I'm up for it if you can suggest a way that doesn't leave it likely to leak or have the wire get pinched up in the hinge. I put NMO mounts for ham radio antennas through my BMW so I'm certainly not afraid of attacking a car with power tools.

I mean that Ford notoriously beefed the paint application on pre-2017 FiSTs and mine has a couple of bald spots back there that the PO had clearcoated over. I was curious about yours.