Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What is wrong with Josh Jacobs by the way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Grudenitis

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Anyone mention Brady on this page yet?

Tom Brady plays tomorrow night fyi

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gosh I wish I could watch the Cowboys shock Brady tonight instead of tomorrow

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Joey Freshwater posted:

:911:

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

What's the team most likely to vastly underachieve their season expectations?

Ravens. I think the offense takes a significant step back this year given they had actually good RBs last season and this year only have Gus Edwards and Leveon Bell. They also didn't fix their receiver problem at all unless you think Sammy Watkins is the truth. (???)

I think Lamar Jackson is a great QB. I think their defense will be stellar. I don't think they make playoffs. Browns bounce them out of the division and there are too many other good AFC squads to wildcard in.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
gently caress Tom Brady.
gently caress the Cowboys.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

The fun part of this discussion is nobody is going to suggest an NFC East or AFC South team because no matter how badly they disappoint who the gently caress else is going to run away with that division?

Oh no the Titans suck out loud and only win the AFC South by 3 games over the Jags.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I wish I could legally gamble on football games.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Joey Freshwater posted:

Anyone mention Brady on this page yet?

So who’s the big name pass rusher on the Cowboys who Goons will predict will kill Brady but then be invisible as is tradition?

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Kalli posted:

The fun part of this discussion is nobody is going to suggest an NFC East or AFC South team because no matter how badly they disappoint who the gently caress else is going to run away with that division?

Oh no the Titans suck out loud and only win the AFC South by 3 games over the Jags.

NFCE could go to the Redskins tbh.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

kiimo posted:

What is wrong with Josh Jacobs by the way

https://twitter.com/VinnyBonsignore/status/1435334628840148995

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Wasn't he the one who recovered the infamous fumble where Cam didn't even try?

Nah, that was Malik Jackson. He was on the squad though and was crucial to its success. IIRC he was CB3 behind Harris and Talib, so basically the dude who got thrown to the most unless the QB was ~crazy~

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Was it in the Super Bowl when Talib lost his mind and got ejected?

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Nah, that was Malik Jackson. He was on the squad though and was crucial to its success. IIRC he was CB3 behind Harris and Talib, so basically the dude who got thrown to the most unless the QB was ~crazy~
Malik Jackson recovered Von's strip-sack-fumble for the TD early in the game but I thought it was Roby who recovered the other fumble in the 4th quarter

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Was it in the Super Bowl when Talib lost his mind and got ejected?

Not that season. I think the Crabtree thing was a few years later, during the sad and depressing times

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Malik Jackson recovered Von's strip-sack-fumble for the TD early in the game but I thought it was Roby who recovered the other fumble in the 4th quarter

OH! I was thinking about the Von Miller strip sack. I had to look this one up. He recovered a fumble off the Steelers RB for the winning touch down.

Looking back on this, it's loving crazy how well that defense did against those offenses. The Pats game might even have been the best game of that season, too. I was probably more scared then than I was against the Panthers!

I think I'm gonna watch my DVR recording of Super Bowl 50 :getin:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So who’s the big name pass rusher on the Cowboys who Goons will predict will kill Brady but then be invisible as is tradition?

I looked up Dallas' d-line because I didn't know and I still don't because I don't recognize any of their names but it also made me realize Dan Quinn is the Cowboys DC lol

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Ravens. I think the offense takes a significant step back this year given they had actually good RBs last season and this year only have Gus Edwards and Leveon Bell.

There's a whole lot of charts that indicate that Gus Edwards is basically a top 5 running back in the league (in terms of efficiency, not counting stats). Here's one I saw today:

So either Gus is that good, or it's just Roman's scheme that inflates RB numbers, or it's just Lamar who makes the RBs life easier, but regardless I think he's gonna have another great year.

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 8, 2021

Nov 6, 2002

That sounds like a really baloney stat.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Ravens. I think the offense takes a significant step back this year given they had actually good RBs last season and this year only have Gus Edwards and Leveon Bell. They also didn't fix their receiver problem at all unless you think Sammy Watkins is the truth. (???)

I think Lamar Jackson is a great QB. I think their defense will be stellar. I don't think they make playoffs. Browns bounce them out of the division and there are too many other good AFC squads to wildcard in.

Ravens running game should be ok though we will miss Dobbins' big play potential. I feel like Lamar makes the whole running game work better.

In 2018 when Flacco was QB we had the absolute worst rushing attack in the league. When Lamar took over in the middle of the season we suddenly became the best running team in the league.

We basically cant lose with the Bell signing

Dont forget we drafted Rashod Bateman who looked pretty good before his injury. Brown, Bateman and Watkins with Andrews at TE should be a solid corps

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

here's one from PFF:

I know TFF is curmudgeonly about advanced stats but he 100% passes the eye test, he just didn't get a full workload

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

AndrewP posted:

here's one from PFF:

I know TFF is curmudgeonly about advanced stats but he 100% passes the eye test, he just didn't get a full workload

Rushing Yards Over Expectation is actually really fascinating: they use player tracking data from thousands plays, and feed it into a computer; the computer then generates a probability for the "expected" rushing yards based on where the dots move, and how fast, and how close to the runner they get based on the thousands of prior samples.

Then it looks at the subject play, and says, "Ok, here the runner should get 5 yards" or whatever. If the runner got 7 instead, he gets credited for +2 RYE.

https://twitter.com/NextGenStats/status/1178395198075703297?s=20

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
by aggregating thousands of plays before it, the Computer figures Chubb gets tackled somewhere around the 20, for a 7 yard gain. The model thinks the blocks at the b gap are good enough to get through, but expects the LB, or CB and/or the safety to bring the average runner down.

Instead, Chubb's cutback leaves the CB and safety turned around, and his speed breaks the angle on the LB and he houses it. Thats a +88 Rushing Yards over Expectation.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Its Computers Watching The Tape.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

by aggregating thousands of plays before it, the Computer figures Chubb gets tackled somewhere around the 20, for a 7 yard gain. The model thinks the blocks at the b gap are good enough to get through, but expects the LB, or CB and/or the safety to bring the average runner down.

Instead, Chubb's cutback leaves the LB and safety turned around, and his speed breaks the angle on the CB and he houses it. Thats a +88 Rushing Yards over Expectation.

Since it's an 88 yard touchdown and he was expected to get 7 yards, wouldn't it be +81 RYoE?

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Mr. Nice! posted:

Since it's an 88 yard touchdown and he was expected to get 7 yards, wouldn't it be +81 RYoE?

honestly surprised that a dak Prescott fan would make a mistake while justifying how good a player is with stats

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The only rushing stats that matter are sick jukes and hilarious stiff arms/trucks delivered.

Cue the career highlights of Barry Sanders destroying ankles and Earl Campbell running over entire defenses with his massive thighs.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Who had a better stiffarm than Derek Henry

I can't think of anyone better

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

blarzgh posted:

Instead, Chubb's cutback leaves the LB and safety turned around, and his speed breaks the angle on the CB and he houses it. Thats a +88 Rushing Yards over Expectation.

this makes sense considering this is the game and probably The Run that forced the Ravens to completely revamp their linebackers - went out and signed Josh Bynes and LJ Fort, Patrick Onwausor demoted from starter, Kenny Young eventually traded for Marcus Peters and Chuck Clark got the green dot.

the Ravens front office does not enjoy getting run over

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Barry Sanders not even touching Rod Woodson and causing Woodson to miss the whole 1995 season is all one needs to know about Barry’s sick jukes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

a patagonian cavy posted:

honestly surprised that a dak Prescott fan would make a mistake while justifying how good a player is with stats

he's a lawyer. math is not his strong suit.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

What's the team most likely to vastly underachieve their season expectations?

On the one hand, expectations for the Lions are rock-bottom. On the other hand, they never fail to disappoint.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I don't get how anyone looks at the AFC North and sees a team more likely than the Steelers to explode into a puddle of piss. In a 7 team playoff field Browns and Ravens are nearly guaranteed spots.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Yeah the Ravens can be beset by injuries and not be a full strength team and still easily make the playoffs.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Acebuckeye13 posted:

On the one hand, expectations for the Lions are rock-bottom. On the other hand, they never fail to disappoint.

I intentionally keep my expectations low, so ultimately i’m never let down! It keeps me sane.

Nov 6, 2002

But how low is too low for the Lions this year?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

No one has ever gone 0-17 before.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It feels impossible for a team to have a worse record then either the Lions or Texans this year.

Excited to see someone try for it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

DVOA updated predictions: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvoa-ratings/2021/2021-dvoa-projections-predict-bucs-chiefs-rematch

Mean wins, but even here, how the gently caress are the Lions or Texans supposed to average being a 6 win team exactly?

11.9 - Buccaneers
11.5 - Chiefs
10.5 - Packers / Ravens / Bills
9.9 - Seahawks
9.8 - 49ers / Patriots
9.4 - Rams / Cowboys
9.3 - Dolphins / Broncos
9.1 - Saints
8.9 - Vikings
8.7 - Browns / Steelers
8.4 - Titans
8.3 - Colts