Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Line Feed posted:

Drunkposting to say Susukichi made me interested in Reversi thanks Squeenix

When I heard he liked them from a press kit I actually played a few games online, I think I might be getting better!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
It made me learn that Reversi and Othello aren’t the same game. I wonder which one he played.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

hyphz posted:

It made me learn that Reversi and Othello aren’t the same game. I wonder which one he played.

I think most of the serious tournament play is Othello, so probably that.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Othello is a branded variation on Reversi with improved and standardized rules. The older game called Reversi isn't played anymore so really any reference to "Reversi" is just talking about Othello without using the official brand and license. Naturally the Othello company doesn't like that but who cares what they think. In modern parlance they're just two terms for the same game.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Is it Reversi in the original Japanese?

Also, how do I get more Azamaru pins to trade with Ryoji for that Fungus pin? I have two but I guess I need three and the mastered one doesn’t count?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Also, how do I get more Azamaru pins to trade with Ryoji for that Fungus pin? I have two but I guess I need three and the mastered one doesn’t count?

You can buy them in the shop on Takeshita street I believe. Also only mastered pins count for trades.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Regy Rusty posted:

You can buy them in the shop on Takeshita street I believe. Also only mastered pins count for trades.

Oh so I need to master all three pins to trade them?

I bought the two you can get from shops in addition to the one you get from the beginning. hosed up that you have to master pins to trade them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Those pins are insanely low level. It'll take you all of one battle to master them.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Regy Rusty posted:

You can trade unmastered pins fine (the only difference is there's no extra prompt of "are you sure" for unmastered ones). The count in shops is total in your inventory, mastered or otherwise. The only thing you can't trade is equipped pins.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
You did have to master pins to trade them in in the original TWEWY, but yeah, NEO don't care.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
NEO doesn't care, also once you reach post-game it stops limiting how many pins you can buy for most of the pins in the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Woah I had no idea they changed that

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Araxxor posted:

NEO doesn't care, also once you reach post-game it stops limiting how many pins you can buy for most of the pins in the game.

Yup, the only pins you still can't get multiples of are the ones that require like Axion, Dilaton, etc. since there's a limited number in the entire game for those.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yes, and both Othello and Reversi were invented in Japan, which was a surprise. Almost all of the stuff Susukichi says like “loud move”, “poison disc” etc is actual Othello terminology.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Ending spoilers
I was expecting Rindo to chuck his mask like Neku did with his headphones in the original, and he did not. I wonder if that was changed due to how it might be perceived in the current pandemic or just because he rarely wore the drat thing properly so it wasn’t as big a part of his design as the headphones

Also the final boss having a cheap move that will kill you fairly fast if you don’t figure out the arena’s invisible loving walls was super lame and forcing players to start from phase 1 was even worse. It’s much easier on the second try, but that’s why it left a bad taste in my mouth. That’s just not good design. Also, a lot of points in phase 2 where you are just standing around waiting for tail feathers to come back.

Pants Donkey fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 4, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Pants Donkey posted:

Ending spoilers
I was expecting Fret to chuck his mask like Neku did with his headphones in the original, and he did not. I wonder if that was changed due to how it might be perceived in the current pandemic or just because he rarely wore the drat thing properly so it wasn’t as big a part of his design as the headphones

Also the final boss having a cheap move that will kill you fairly fast if you don’t figure out the arena’s invisible loving walls was super lame and forcing players to start from phase 1 was even worse. It’s much easier on the second try, but that’s why it left a bad taste in my mouth. That’s just not good design. Also, a lot of points in phase 2 where you are just standing around waiting for tail feathers to come back.

Rindo wears the mask, not Fret

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I am running off five hours of sleep after all-nighting to beat the game :negative:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Getting very angry at this chameleon boss, having to fight the mechanics like that is super loving obnoxious and half the time you react to it it says you didn't dodge anyway.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Justin_Brett posted:

Getting very angry at this chameleon boss, having to fight the mechanics like that is super loving obnoxious and half the time you react to it it says you didn't dodge anyway.

very soon you're going to unlock a social network skill that doubles your dodge i-frames and trivializes those attacks

why didn't they give you the skill before this boss? that's an excellent question

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Oxxidation posted:

very soon you're going to unlock a social network skill that doubles your dodge i-frames and trivializes those attacks

why didn't they give you the skill before this boss? that's an excellent question

To make it's value more clear, probably.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wish nothing but pain and suffering on the person who designed the Week 3 day 4 boss fight. gently caress that fight.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I wish nothing but pain and suffering on the person who designed the Week 3 day 4 boss fight. gently caress that fight.

You just gotta double tap him to open his defenses.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You just gotta double tap him to open his defenses.

Idk what that means

I am very mad that they the boss drops good pins on Easy, Normal and Hard just for maximum cruelty.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Idk what that means

I am very mad that they the boss drops good pins on Easy, Normal and Hard just for maximum cruelty.

Like the original, he dodges any hit going (directly) at him.

Unlike the original, you're capable of doing multiple attacks at once.

So he can only dodge any one hit going at him. So you attack him with two things at the same time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

You got to be attacking with two pins at the same time or else he'll just dodge it. The big aoe zone pins are really good against him because of it.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Also you can just buy the easy and normal mode drops.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Speaking of that boss, I’m assuming I get him back at some point? Probably post-game? Because there are pins only he can mutate.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Speaking of that boss, I’m assuming I get him back at some point? Probably post-game? Because there are pins only he can mutate.

Yes, you get him back during this game’s version of Another Day (and he’s given a pretty decent stat boost to boot)

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Larryb posted:

Yes, you get him back during this game’s version of Another Day (and he’s given a pretty decent stat boost to boot)

And you can do it literally right at the start of AD, too. Only hitch is that you have to swap someone else out for him.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

And you can do it literally right at the start of AD, too. Only hitch is that you have to swap someone else out for him.

True, you only get 6 pin slots maximum. Minamimoto’s pretty good though so I’d recommend swapping out your currently weakest party member (their current pin and any threads they have equipped will automatically be transferred over to Sho)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
W3D6: man, sure is cool that the first mutation pin in the game can only be evolved by the party member that joins like 75% of the main story. I mean, it’s instantly endgame level on mutation but it’s still a dick move.

Also cool that Neku’s here, I knew he was in the game but I figured he’d be like an NPC given how strong even wielding five pins makes you. And also, Neku’s huge, drat.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Double posting, sorry, idk if it was covered in the thread but I don’t wanna get spoiler on endgame stuff, so is there a way to end the roar attack of the pitch-black dinosaurs prematurely? Or to otherwise avoid eating complete poo poo, I’m not picky.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Double posting, sorry, idk if it was covered in the thread but I don’t wanna get spoiler on endgame stuff, so is there a way to end the roar attack of the pitch-black dinosaurs prematurely? Or to otherwise avoid eating complete poo poo, I’m not picky.

Stay behind them and stay well away, otherwise freezing or otherwise immobilizing them cancels it

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
If they managed to eat one of your characters first, well, pick a god and pray

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

Stay behind them and stay well away, otherwise freezing or otherwise immobilizing them cancels it

Oh, that actually kinda makes sense, I just figured it’s an AOE like the Pachiderm’s stomp but a noise shockwave (heh) being in front should have been kinda obvious. Relatively speaking.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Last Celebration posted:

Oh, that actually kinda makes sense, I just figured it’s an AOE like the Pachiderm’s stomp but a noise shockwave (heh) being in front should have been kinda obvious. Relatively speaking.

If it eats a character and turns white, its roar becomes unavoidable and a lot stronger. So don’t get eaten.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jumping back into this after a hiatus and starting week 2, I realize I absolutely loving hate the combat in this game, it feels like poo poo, my brain cannot parse what is going on screen most of the time and I feel like I am completely unable to dodge attacks, using the super move sometimes does no damage or I seem to actually take damage from it, I feel like I am getting punished for teammates getting hit by poo poo even though the game says they should auto dodge if they're not doing anything, all the enemies are just complete sponges at normal or hard, and maybe it's just because there are only three party members right now but it feels like a complete slog

Will I miss anything if I drop to Easy, the promise of rewards at higher difficulty levels is giving me lovely FOMO

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
The game doesn’t keep you waiting for Number 4 for very long but yeah, the only thing you miss is extra EXP/SP and the SP is nowhere near as harsh as it is in the first game where it was a fairly brutal punishment iirc. The puffer fish enemies might fix some of your problems since they drop the first light elemental pin in the game and those heal you.

Oh, from what I’ve heard the Dives automatically put you at one star ranking on Easy.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

In terms of story content, I don't think you can miss anything if you drop down to Easy. Everything including the post-game should be there.

You do miss out on drops (since different difficulties have different drops), and as said above, apparently you can only get Bronze medals on Dives, which is one source of Friendship Points (but you can get Gold on them on Normal). While there is a limited amount of Friendship Points in the game, there's a few that most people don't feel compelled to get, like the clothes items in general, and the "reveal how to mutate certain pins" because Google.

Do note that sometimes the better item might be on the lower difficulty level so it really doesn't hurt to drop it to Easy when you're tired of the combat, and once you feel like you can take a bit more, bump it up to Normal or higher as required.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Also, if enemies feel like they have too much health, I would recommend going to your clothes and making sure you don't have any Jinxed items equipped. Jinxed items increase one stat at the expense of another, i.e. increasing your drop rate but you stop receiving EXP. It's very possible you equipped something that lowers your attack, but only recently achieved enough Style to activate that ability.