Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've been playing around a bit with Far Cry 4, and the vehicles just feel off. I guess the little ATVs are okay, but the cars and trucks just feel like massive floaty hovercrafts that I'm constantly caroming off stuff instead of staying in control. The limited field of view doesn't help either, when the game's map pretty much consists of narrow, winding mountain roads. Mostly I end up crashing into enough stuff that I just end up getting out and walking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THat's something I'm hating about the game too. Also I'm mostly picking missions based on what seems the least pain in the rear end, like seizing the opium farm instead of burning it because it's just easier.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The controls are definitely a part of what doesn't work about the driving for me. Having the left stick be both acceleration and steering magnifies the floatiness issues a whole lot. I know they wanted a way to use the right trigger for shooting while driving, but they simplified the driving controls down way too much while doing that.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Captain Hygiene posted:

The controls are definitely a part of what doesn't work about the driving for me. Having the left stick be both acceleration and steering magnifies the floatiness issues a whole lot. I know they wanted a way to use the right trigger for shooting while driving, but they simplified the driving controls down way too much while doing that.

This would never have been a problem if the Xbox 360 controller didn't have garbage bumpers or developers didn't need to cater to it. We would still have used the R1/L1 for shooting and we wouldn't have needed to play games were all the controls changes because you enter a vehicle and we could still use our index fingers to shoot guns, like normally. Probably not a little thing, but it rings down a ton of games for me.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

BioEnchanted posted:

THat's something I'm hating about the game too. Also I'm mostly picking missions based on what seems the least pain in the rear end, like seizing the opium farm instead of burning it because it's just easier.

I Burned it and was super disappointed that it didn't play out like FC3's weed farm

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dear CRPGs that are based on/inspired by D&D, most recently Pathfinder War of the Righteous: Stop swamping me with single-use spell scrolls. I don't want them. I absolutely never want to use them. I've already got plenty to do keeping the couple dozen spells and abilities of all my party members straight, and I've largely picked those myself. I absolutely cannot be arsed trying to track another thirty completely random spells, making sure they're equipped to people who can actually use them, and then keeping in mind which are still available and which I've used already.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Perestroika posted:

Dear CRPGs that are based on/inspired by D&D, most recently Pathfinder War of the Righteous: Stop swamping me with single-use spell scrolls. I don't want them. I absolutely never want to use them. I've already got plenty to do keeping the couple dozen spells and abilities of all my party members straight, and I've largely picked those myself. I absolutely cannot be arsed trying to track another thirty completely random spells, making sure they're equipped to people who can actually use them, and then keeping in mind which are still available and which I've used already.

These days I just treat those like a power up that I just chuck at the next enemy asap or sell them. They are a pain in the rear end to manage though yeah.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Perestroika posted:

Nenio, the wizard party member, or an Alchemist or Magus, can right click some scrolls in their inventory and permanently add them to their known spells. That's pretty useful. My Nenio has a massive library of spells.

Beyond that, I generally agree. I keep a few scrolls of raise dead for emergencies, but I sell the rest after my wizard is done with them.

WOTR is an outstanding game so far, but what annoys me: party members that leave with no heads-up or foreshadowing, taking all your best gear with them. My longstanding RPG bother. Me and my brothers used to joke when we were kids that, if you had Bastila fight Malak on the Leviathan in KOTOR, and she wasn't only wearing her underwear, you were hopelessly naive.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

William Bear posted:

WOTR is an outstanding game so far, but what annoys me: party members that leave with no heads-up or foreshadowing, taking all your best gear with them. My longstanding RPG bother. Me and my brothers used to joke when we were kids that, if you had Bastila fight Malak on the Leviathan in KOTOR, and she wasn't only wearing her underwear, you were hopelessly naive.

It's happens constantly in Final Fantasy II to the point you'll learn to treat the fourth slot as a guest that gets the scraps. Yet in the GBA port* they added a bonus dungeon/side story that gradually gives you a party with four of these guests... who will initially wield the gear you gave them. So if you were stingy with the gear the start will be a bit harder. Not enough that it will screw you over, but enough that you will curse at the devs at least once.

* Also in later versions, except for the recent Pixel Remaster.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

That sort of things makes more sense in tabletop where you're only controlling one character at a really slow pace so micromanaging scrolls and whatnot is more feasible. If you're controlling multiple characters in real time? Forget about it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

What are games where the translation fails at the worst possible time?

FF7: "Beacause you're a puppet."
Ace Attorney: "The miracle never happen."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The last couple of mission in The Ascent feel like they weren't balanced for single player at all. You just keep getting hit with huge swarms of enemies which normally wouldn't be much of a threat but can easily overwhelm you. Also the last bit involves having to use multiple consoles which takes a couple of seconds each and enemies keep coming.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Wrath of the Righteous isn't a faithful interpretation of the tabletop campaign unless you can turn your character into a ridiculous creature wielding a weapon that can hew a cut in half in a single overpowered strike, or cast every spell ever created, superpowered, without using spell slots.

(Playing the tabletop game was....interesting)

Morpheus has a new favorite as of 23:25 on Sep 8, 2021

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Where's my ten phonebooks of options at level-up, goddammit

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The last couple of mission in The Ascent feel like they weren't balanced for single player at all. You just keep getting hit with huge swarms of enemies which normally wouldn't be much of a threat but can easily overwhelm you. Also the last bit involves having to use multiple consoles which takes a couple of seconds each and enemies keep coming.

The gatling gun is the solution to your 'swarms' problem. Especially if you grab the special gatling-shotgun.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Captain Hygiene posted:

what game would this be

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Morpheus posted:

Wrath of the Righteous isn't a faithful interpretation of the tabletop campaign unless you can turn your character into a ridiculous creature wielding a weapon that can hew a cut in half in a single overpowered strike, or cast every spell ever created, superpowered, without using spell slots.

(Playing the tabletop game was....interesting)

Captain Hygiene posted:

It comes close. Both Kingmaker before it, and WotR are extremely faithful adaptations of the Pathfinder 1e system and two of the adventure paths made for it. They add a bit of connective tissue, and they also added all the party members since you're controlling a whole party instead of sitting around a table with buddies.

Pathfinder in itself is a serial-numbers-filed-off version of DnD3.5 for reasons not important in this thread. But it was the version of the game most obsessed with mathing everything out to the point that you could look up the hit points of a stone wall and its hardness value to see if you could break through it.

About a year or so ago Pathfinder finally decided to release a 2e and catch up with the various advances in game design (tabletop and video) since then.
As is the way of such things, half the playerbase hates that things have changed.

The video games don't use the 2e system for various reasons; one would be that they were in development before 2e was released, two would be that there aren't as many Adventure Paths for 2e released yet, and third is probably that 2e would much more rigidly expect the game be strictly turn-based instead of real-time-with-pause.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

The limited field of view doesn't help either, when the game's map pretty much consists of narrow, winding mountain roads. Mostly I end up crashing into enough stuff that I just end up getting out and walking.
Little thing dragging Far Cry 5 down: when you drive a vehicle and your view out of the windshield is narrowed to the top 1/3 of your monitor/tv screen and moving the camera around doesn't help all that much.

TBH, maybe I'm just bad at driving in FC5, but I find all the vehicles except for the helicopter and the boats hard to control smoothly.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

bewilderment posted:

It comes close. Both Kingmaker before it, and WotR are extremely faithful adaptations of the Pathfinder 1e system and two of the adventure paths made for it. They add a bit of connective tissue, and they also added all the party members since you're controlling a whole party instead of sitting around a table with buddies.

Pathfinder in itself is a serial-numbers-filed-off version of DnD3.5 for reasons not important in this thread. But it was the version of the game most obsessed with mathing everything out to the point that you could look up the hit points of a stone wall and its hardness value to see if you could break through it.

About a year or so ago Pathfinder finally decided to release a 2e and catch up with the various advances in game design (tabletop and video) since then.
As is the way of such things, half the playerbase hates that things have changed.

The video games don't use the 2e system for various reasons; one would be that they were in development before 2e was released, two would be that there aren't as many Adventure Paths for 2e released yet, and third is probably that 2e would much more rigidly expect the game be strictly turn-based instead of real-time-with-pause.

I'm only loosely familiar with pf2e, but it looks like it would loving own as a fantasy XCom crpg.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The combat sections of Psychonauts 2 feel so perfunctory. Like they're only in there because they had combat in the first game.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Rabbit Hill posted:

TBH, maybe I'm just bad at driving in FC5, but I find all the vehicles except for the helicopter and the boats hard to control smoothly.

Thie brings up an issue I had in the game: Once you get easy access to a helicopter, the game's missions start to feel like a point-to-point adventure and not much else. Get in heli, go to mission start, get back in heli, go to mission point, do thing, back in heli, on to next mission. There was one mission I recall that involved going to about four different points, each 1500-2000 meters apart. it took ten minutes, two of which were actually doing something and the rest of which were flying in a straight line.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Is there one of these D&D-based games that's good for learning D&D?

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

muscles like this! posted:

spamming spider-bots while hacking the consoles got me through the final mission.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Byzantine posted:

I've wondered the same thing. I basically know how to play 3.5 but never really found a game that used the turn based mechanics to teach me the finer points of combat. Having the CPU control the rules makes for less arguing about stuff and looking stuff up like a table session usually becomes. Someone recommended Pillars of Eternity 2 to me so I picked that up but haven't tried it.

I'd like to find something like the old Pool of Radiance games.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Byzantine posted:

Not really. Playing a computer game has a completely different flow and style to it than sitting around the table with pencils and dice and talking with the other players, even if the basic rules for seeing if your sword hits are the same.
The most important difference is that in a proper tabletop game you can (try to) do anything, because there's a real human being across from you at the table who can quickly adapt if you go off the rails or try something unanticipated. Even if sometimes the result is "there's no way you can do that", or maybe just "roll a d20... 19? you failed."
I have this spell to turn myself into a tree, can I go up next to the wall and have the party rogue climb me?" "Can I try to shoot an arrow to sever the rope on the bridge?" "I don't trust this NPC, he feels like he's lying to us. Can we talk to the bad guy he's trying to get us to fight and get his perspective? Actually, before we go, let's break into his office and see if he has any cool documents in his desk!"
It's often about that kind of stuff a lot more than it's about your to-hit rolls in combat.

If you do want to learn you could use something like Tabletop Simulator or Roll20 and find an online group that's new-player friendly. Though playing online (over voice or text) is a lot different than being in person too.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I can vouch for the TG Game Recruit thread as being good for finding a game, its how I ended up with my current group of pals, and we've played most fridays since then for the last... six years in another monthish.

As far as little things, I've got a couple.

I hate what the dvs are doing with Hardspace: Shipbreaker. They seem hellbent on putting in all the atmospheric bits for the story mode, while giving very little to the actual gameplay except new and exciting ways for stuff to bug the gently caress out. On top of that, the save wipes with every update means that you have to once again grind through the same six or seven ships you've done 100 times over by now, to reunlock all the poo poo you already unlocked multiple times before. And now it's all constrained behind a lovely, buggy "3D" environment that's literally just a slower, worse performing menu. One update and they've entirely wrecked my chill podcast game :sigh:

Days Gone, what the gently caress is up with the voice acting in this game? Mainly for the main character, Deacon. In the space of 5 minutes on the bike, you can hit 4 radio calls, one of which he'll casually respond to like a normal person, the next he'll be huffing and out of breath for no reason, then all of a sudden he's loving shouting out his reply and over enunciating every word, the list goes on its incredibly inconsistent. And as a little thing that's part of that, gently caress me space your radio calls out more! There's big chunks of just riding around the woods with nothing going on, there's no reason to get back to back to back to back calls from NPCs doing poo poo like "Just calling in to tell you... thanks" kinda poo poo.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm finding a lot of the side-missions in Far Cry 4 to be mostly weird gimmicks rather than normal gameplay, like most of them take away all your stuff and give you a gimmick build to work with, and it's just annoying. Shangri La is fun in concept, but melee in FC4 sucks when it's all you have so only having melee or tiger is a huge hassle. The introduction to the Arena and the first proper Yogi mission had the same problem, just taking all the toys away and making you scramble. I'm getting to the point where all I want to bother with are towers, outposts and story missions.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

ShootaBoy posted:

Days Gone, what the gently caress is up with the voice acting in this game? Mainly for the main character, Deacon. In the space of 5 minutes on the bike, you can hit 4 radio calls, one of which he'll casually respond to like a normal person, the next he'll be huffing and out of breath for no reason, then all of a sudden he's loving shouting out his reply and over enunciating every word, the list goes on its incredibly inconsistent. And as a little thing that's part of that, gently caress me space your radio calls out more! There's big chunks of just riding around the woods with nothing going on, there's no reason to get back to back to back to back calls from NPCs doing poo poo like "Just calling in to tell you... thanks" kinda poo poo.

I think it must be tied to your movement speed, I was coasting down a hill and someone radios in and he is just screaming at them like a lunatic.
Also the game will stack calls from people after a story mission, so post mission its just every camp leader calling, then Boozer. Maybe another person just for fun.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

CitizenKain posted:

I think it must be tied to your movement speed, I was coasting down a hill and someone radios in and he is just screaming at them like a lunatic.

He yells a bunch every time Copeland makes a Radio Free Oregon broadcast.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Pathfinder 2E is probably my favorite "a group of weirdos graverobbing ancient tombs and starting trouble with evil wizards" style of D&D-esque tabletop game, I can't recommend it enough. I only picked it up to page through initially because I had no idea they were even making a second edition since I bounced off the original so hard (D&D 3.5 Except Way More Of It is not a good pitch for me or my regular playgroup). But PF2E is a really interesting evolution of ideas from D&D 4e and some other games less mired in design from 30-50 years ago like 3.5.

Anyway my actual gripe for this thread is I'm kind of going hard at Demon's Souls right now since I'm funemployed and I'm finally further than my initial sad attempt on PS3. The design of this one kind of drags the rest of the Soulsbornekiro games down for me a bit - don't get me wrong, I love the big interconnected worlds and stuff, and other than the very beginning of DS1-3 or BB or Sekiro you generally have at least two different areas you can check out at any given time, but there's something to be said for the world design FROM is known for with an honest-to-god oldschool level select. Okay, I just lost a level and a half worth of souls getting too aggressive with some skeletons, time to unwind somewhere slower-paced like the Prison of Hope, loving up some offbrand Cthulhus, or dig around in the mine for a while for upgrade stones and gently caress with my weapons a bit, whatever.

Bloodborne kind of comes close with its thematically-tied headstones working as the Archstones, but you still need to go through them sequentially (with whatever detours you find, obviously. The first time I found Cainhurst - totally blind - is one of my top-5 gaming moments, I think.) The Chalice Dungeons do provide a nice little distraction if you're really banging your head against an area but it's nowhere near as nice as just saying "you know what, gently caress this, I keep making dumb mistakes in this level so I'm going to go and do a different one right now."

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ShootaBoy posted:

The guy who plays Deacon, Sam Witwer, is a veteran voice actor which leads me to believe that those issues were down to bad voice direction.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Byzantine posted:

There’s a game called Crown of Solasta that cane out recently. The combat is a very close version of DnD v5 rules, so it should do a good job of teaching you the combat mechanics of the game.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Rabbit Hill posted:

Little thing dragging Far Cry 5 down: when you drive a vehicle and your view out of the windshield is narrowed to the top 1/3 of your monitor/tv screen and moving the camera around doesn't help all that much.

I don't remember if it's just Far Cry 5 or if the earlier games also did it, but if you adjust your camera to the side or the back, usually to shoot, the camera lets you do your thing, but if you make smaller adjustments to look where you're going, the camera will spring back to its default position in half a second.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

CordlessPen posted:

I don't remember if it's just Far Cry 5 or if the earlier games also did it, but if you adjust your camera to the side or the back, usually to shoot, the camera lets you do your thing, but if you make smaller adjustments to look where you're going, the camera will spring back to its default position in half a second.

That camera auto-centering thing drives me nuts and it's near-universal when driving a vehicle in any game. Just let me look over there! I know how to look back forward again if I need to!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Honestly they should just pop it to 3rd person for driving, or at least give you the option to. 3rd person just feels more like actually driving, where you have quick glances at mirrors and the feel of the road to give you the sense of where the car is and what’s around you.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
The radio calls in Days Gone often ended up being unintentionally very funny. As mentioned the calls would stack up so you would end up completing a mission and then have all these unrelated calls play out right afterward with wildly varying emotional responses from Deacon making him sound like a complete psycho pinballing between being calm and going into a murderous rage.

You would also go into certain open world activities where he starts losing his mind, muttering about wanting to kill every person he could find where even as the player you're like, whoa settle down buddy. I found it all pretty enjoyable in a very B-movie kind of way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

el oso posted:

The radio calls in Days Gone often ended up being unintentionally very funny. As mentioned the calls would stack up so you would end up completing a mission and then have all these unrelated calls play out right afterward with wildly varying emotional responses from Deacon making him sound like a complete psycho pinballing between being calm and going into a murderous rage.

You would also go into certain open world activities where he starts losing his mind, muttering about wanting to kill every person he could find where even as the player you're like, whoa settle down buddy. I found it all pretty enjoyable in a very B-movie kind of way.

IIRC most of the stuff he says was originally supposed to be internal monologue type stuff and the voice actor was like “no, this dude is isolated and stressed as gently caress, he’d be talking to himself like a nutjob all the time” and they changed a lot of it.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Speaking of Pathfinder: Kingmaker (I haven't played the next game yet, and since I don't play on PC, it will be a while), I very much dislike how little is explained. There is an in-game encyclopedia, but it doesn't explain status effects. On console, there is no way to see what abilities the specific bloodlines give without commiting to them (on PC it's a click away, as it checking what items/abilities affect your Armour/Hit Chance etc.). There is a system to learn what's the meaning behind certain terms in dialogue (glossary), there was no reason not to be able to link that to an encyclopedia with more useful terms. You can choose spell focus and greater spell focus as starting feats, but the game doesn't even provide examples of what spells the schools you choose give, not even a text description. As it stands, I adore this game, but the learning curve is very steep.

Thankfully, fans have made valuable resources, there are wikis available, graphs for which ability enables which etc., but some of this info should be available in the game, and some even is - but only on some versions.

And the glitches, oh dear. I'm lucky to start playing so long after the launch, since the most damaging ones are patched, but the console port is still buggy, and it won't be patched further before they are done with the second game, and who knows when that will be. You can only equip some scrolls from the equipment screen, and some have to be equipped from the inventory screen - I don't know why. There is a bug which blanks your PC portrait, leading to a soft lock a few minutes into the game. On console the companions don't comment on completed story segments. The pathfinding (lol) is rather bad, and if there no straight line to a distand place I want the companions to go, they sometimes try to go through the wall. The party doesn't keep one pace, so faster character - who are supposed to stay behind - dash forward without a care, disrupting the formations. There is a stutter and the cursor sometimes doesn't register movement in menus/dialogue, which can be rather obnoxious if you clicked down from a response you don't want to choose, pressed confirm and the cursor stayed where it was.

And obviously, the PC version has a slew of mods, while the console players have to wait for a patch, which may or may not come. When? It's not a priority.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My friends picked up the newest Destiny 2 expansion and are playing it, i've never played it and it turns out that they've retired the plot levels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

IIRC most of the stuff he says was originally supposed to be internal monologue type stuff and the voice actor was like “no, this dude is isolated and stressed as gently caress, he’d be talking to himself like a nutjob all the time” and they changed a lot of it.

I'd have thought that talking to yourself would be a habit you'd break pretty quickly if you live in a world with hordes of zombies that can hear you.