Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

disaster pastor posted:

Hasn't there been like one DQ finish in all of AEW history? They're not going to cheap out on Ruby's first singles match.

there's been one DQ and it was the first fall in an ironman match so it wasn't even a finish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonshirt
Oct 28, 2010

a sight for sore eyes
There was also another one on Dark, PPA/Cutler double DQ finish.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

why is everyone so worried about hayter taking a loss? this isn't wwe, a loss doesn't mean she's being buried. she'll bounce back.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Yeah exactly.

I also think it's hilarious that some of y'all are already discussing Hayter breaking from Britt.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

IGgy IGsen posted:

Yeah exactly.

I also think it's hilarious that some of y'all are already discussing Hayter breaking from Britt.

WWE brain, storylines must be paid off in 3 weeks or they're a failure

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

Tony Khan at the post media scrum talked up the one person in the world the truly, truly hates japanese women wrestlers and says no foreign women can ever draw in the united states: Jim Cornette.

"*“As somebody I look up to said, wrestling fans watch the wrestling programme to see the wrestlers wrestle. And even if I don’t always follow everything he says, or haven’t always made him happy, that is probably the person I’ve learned the most about the wrestling business from. I don’t think he would probably take a lot of credit for me as his protege, but the fact is he’s right about that.”"*

Jim Cornette has started to warm up more and more to Khan since Bobby Eatons passing, they've been in communication more and more and one of the things Khan wasnt fan/or didnt know about before AEW was Joshi wrestling. That was Kenny's idea. Now that Khan wants Cornette to say more good things about him so he feels like he has another dad paying attention to him, the joshi are never going to be on tv again.

Ex Champs Riho and Shida? Dark and Elevation

Emi Sakura being able to start a joshi faction? not gonna happen.

Even after DDT's president Sanshiro Takagi said that ANY TJPW (and DDT Women's) talent are available for AEW to use at a moments notice? not going to happen.

Tony Khan working on the other Bushiroad forbidden door to open up talks with Rossy Ogawa even though he has multiple ins through Kenny Omega (helped train them in the early stardom days) , Dave Meltzer (Friends with Fumi Saito who Rossy Ogawa is great friends with and they talk over wrestling frequently. I believe hes even friendly with Rossy himself), Any NJPW wrestler hes currently working with, the njpw and bushiroad backstage people? Nope. Sorry. they arent non-asian enough for Jim Corne- I mean Tony Khan.

In the meantime I recommend to people who like Joshi wrestling but will miss it on AEW to check out TJPW's streaming service, Stardom's streaming service and even some of the smaller promotion's like Ice Ribbon, Oz Academy and SEAdlinning

Asian-american man Tony Khan is racist against asians.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

quote:

Austin, Foley, and the like never got out of wrestling. Wrestling fans love them but even at its peak, the most you got from a non-wrestling fan was "Oh, that is the guy who gives people middle fingers and is on that MTV show? And beat his wife?" for Austin and "he seems nice. Was he on a nickelodeon thing?" for Foley. Like, I suspect the Bellas are more popular among the general public than Austin ever was.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

They turned MJF on Cody very quickly

They turned MJF on Cody because he's such a natural and fantastic heel that even trying to pretend he's a babyface wasn't going to work out for much longer.

Meanwhile both Britt and Jamie are entirely in sync as rear end in a top hat cool heels.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Pylons posted:

I agree though, give your money to Ice Ribbon & SEAdLINNNG

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

feel like more people total saw Austin on Nash Bridges in 1999 than ever watched Total Divas, but I do like the conceit that the man on the street mostly knows about him because he beat his wife

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/jmehytr/status/1432466721957371907

:colbert:

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Pylons posted:

Did some quick back of a napkin calculations, and turns out that the AEW women's title has been held by a Japanese lady for approximately 60% of the time that it has been in existence.

So Tony better shape up his racism, dude seems p bad at it.

E: Apologies, hosed up my math. Turns out it's actually about 70%

Cerebral Bore fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 8, 2021

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I know it's probably been brought up a zillion times itt but I really don't understand the WWE weirdos. This isn't the same as console wars where most people can't afford to buy every console so they buy what their friends buy and then poo poo talk other consoles because of dumbass consumerist tribalism. Everyone can watch all the WWE and AEW content every week if they have the time and they can also watch content from other promotions if they have the extra time. This poo poo makes no sense to me. Even when I was a complete moron college grad 20 years ago my friends and I would have Monday night watch parties and flip channels between Raw and Nitro and then watch ECW we taped off TV and just had a good time without choosing a promotion to defend for no reason.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

What they really need to do is keep teasing a rift between Jamie and Britt but have them always get past it and stay together. Just piss off every idiot fan wanting to telegraph a breakup. Then when people least expect it have one of them turn.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Elephant Ambush posted:

What they really need to do is keep teasing a rift between Jamie and Britt but have them always get past it and stay together. Just piss off every idiot fan wanting to telegraph a breakup. Then when people least expect it have one of them turn.

I think it'll eventually make more sense for Britt to turn on Jamie once Jamie gets more confident and doesn't want to be treated like a sidekick anymore. Again, assuming they ever break them up which they absolutely don't need to do.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i hope they never turn and remain friends forever through thick and thin

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Elephant Ambush posted:

I know it's probably been brought up a zillion times itt but I really don't understand the WWE weirdos. This isn't the same as console wars where most people can't afford to buy every console so they buy what their friends buy and then poo poo talk other consoles because of dumbass consumerist tribalism. Everyone can watch all the WWE and AEW content every week if they have the time and they can also watch content from other promotions if they have the extra time. This poo poo makes no sense to me. Even when I was a complete moron college grad 20 years ago my friends and I would have Monday night watch parties and flip channels between Raw and Nitro and then watch ECW we taped off TV and just had a good time without choosing a promotion to defend for no reason.

When I was a kid in the 1980s, I watched whatever wrestling I could. WWF, NWA, AWA, WCCW, Mid-South/UWF, etc. As I got older I developed specific tastes and I started favoring some promotions over others, but I never had "brand loyalty" where I'd only watch one over the other and that was it. If I quit watching a promotion, it was because their characters/gimmicks weren't to my taste (or, since it's the 1980s we're talking about here, because they eventually folded up), not because "it's not [whatever] brand of wrestling".

E: as opposed to nowadays, where I'm actively rooting for WWE to fail, and have been long before AEW was even a thing :v:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

STONE COLD 64 posted:

i hope they never turn and remain friends forever through thick and thin

I would love this so much, I just don’t expect it

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Elephant Ambush posted:

I read somewhere that for a truly toxic fan culture to form then the fanbase must be aware on some level that the object of their fandom is actually bad on some level. If the thing you like is legit good then you can just argue against criticism, but if you know it's true and what you like is so garbage that you can't just embrace the badness then your options are p much to stop being a fan or get super mad and start denying reality.

The WWE fanbase seem to mostly have chosen option two and three, and by now it's been winnowed down to the most bitter hard core.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

:siren:

STING AND LUGER STORYWATCH 2021.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
'Someone in AEW should be the Sting who gets betrayed by all his friends' I say before immediately realising that's Cody

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Cerebral Bore posted:

I read somewhere that for a truly toxic fan culture to form then the fanbase must be aware on some level that the object of their fandom is actually bad on some level. If the thing you like is legit good then you can just argue against criticism, but if you know it's true and what you like is so garbage that you can't just embrace the badness then your options are p much to stop being a fan or get super mad and start denying reality.

The WWE fanbase seem to mostly have chosen option two and three, and by now it's been winnowed down to the most bitter hard core.
The last ten years of mancave culture has to have entrenched brand loyalty. You can’t just switch over to AEW when you’ve paid to releather the winged eagle belt your wife got you for christmas and have it mounted on the wall above your entire Hasbro figure collection.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just loving love braaaaaaaaaaaaaands

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

keithy george posted:

The last ten years of mancave culture has to have entrenched brand loyalty. You can’t just switch over to AEW when you’ve paid to releather the winged eagle belt your wife got you for christmas and have it mounted on the wall above your entire Hasbro figure collection.

Guess it stings extra hard when you've been telling yourself that The Brand is the best thing that could possibly exist even after they feed you poo poo sandwich after poo poo sandwich and then all of a sudden all those other people over there at Other Brand are clearly having a great time.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

quote:

None of these matches are gonna entice the casual fan to become a regular viewer.

Why not let The Lucha Bro and YB put on another classic match. Only this time a No DQ. You have the talent, allow them to captivate the casual viewer with their amazing spots and in ring work.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
https://twitter.com/MondoBizarro83/status/1434883509479424000

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
TK opens up the floor at his latest media scrum, a fan pulls down his glasses and asks 'Mr. Khan, did you realise that All In was performed away from the ROH banner?'. His tawdry secret shame revealed Tony falls to the floor as he screams 'I'M MELTING! I'M MELTING!'

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Ganso Bomb posted:

Probably not any time soon, but it seems like Hayter's character is that she's there to get paid and beat people up for Britt while Britt and Reba seem to try and want her to become a friend/mindless minion. For instance, not being on board doing the DMD hand sign thing. It kind of feels like on the past couple of shows, she's become less serious and is starting to gel more with them but I could still see them pulling the trigger of Hayter not wanting to deal with the bullshit anymore and breaking away. Again, not anytime soon but they're definitely planting little seeds here and there for possible future stuff if they want to go that way.

She’s been in the company for 5 minutes and been on screen all of what, 4 times. That’s a lot of analysis for basically no time at all.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

This whole exchange:

https://twitter.com/thenightmaker1/status/1435653145481388035?s=20
https://twitter.com/TheOfficialROW/status/1435677775311028228?s=20
https://twitter.com/thenightmaker1/status/1435678220645502984?s=20

Nightmaker got owned.

Like, did he think Booker only trains people for his own promotion? You know, like NXT?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

History Comes Inside! posted:

She’s been in the company for 5 minutes and been on screen all of what, 4 times. That’s a lot of analysis for basically no time at all.

I know, it's fun when a company does some subtle things in the background and some not-so-subtle things with character work so you can care about the people on the show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Weird hill to die on, but at least he's dead.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
AEW is now completely undone.

Pack it in, let's go home.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its primary function is as a school and its actually had a pretty impressive output as most wrestling schools do

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

STONE COLD 64 posted:

its primary function is as a school and its actually had a pretty impressive output as most wrestling schools do

For comparison Bully Ray's best ever student was Leva Bates.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bad opinions about women, bad opinions about wrestling.

https://twitter.com/Stuttsy/status/1435763805468954627

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
One or two matches isn't a feud.

Also I kinda wish AEW feuds/programs were longer but I also don't necessarily want the WWE thing where feuds last 6 months.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the thing with aew feuds is that a lot of feuds aren't really Done and they'll come back in the future if needed b/c it's all "these characters specifically don't like each other." you don't need to have four or five matches between the same two people to underline that

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, a lot of AEW feuds take an organic path. The wrestlers cross paths because they're on their own journeys for titles or to back up friends or whatever. Something like the HFO/Best Friends feud is actually kind of weird and stands out in AEW. Its just two sides constantly battling with no clear goal in mind. The more common and natural path is that like two teams clash in the division and then they clash again in title contention and then they really hate each other so they have a grudge match. And the fun part of that is not only does it flow better and you don't get burnt out on a by the numbers feud but a couple of weeks or months down the line they clash again because of a tournament or battle royal or backing someone up or whatever. So not only did you never get sick of it, but it keeps being fun.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
God forbid they don't beat every feud into the ground with a rematch on every week's show for months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Build the story, have a definitive blowoff match and on to the next storyline. It's great old school booking.