Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Untapping mana on your turn with his +1 or ult encourages you to cast spells on your turn and therefore maintain the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I know I say I don't care about the MTG lore at all, but Teferi is my favourite character (bald solidarity) so it's kind of a bummer this card is a bust. Maybe he'll be a detective on New Capenna or something.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Don't worry he's still good on average

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think of all the PWs that have had 3+ appearances he probably has the biggest hit rate right? Two that are amazing, (5CMC and 3CMC), two that are pretty good (4CMC and 6CMC), three that are bad (the PW deck guys and this one). Plus his creature is cool, too. Jace and Chandra both have had really good planeswalkers but their stats are bogged down by some real stinkers. I think there's only ever been one really good Nissa PW, Liliana has a lot that are casual/commander friendly but IIRC only LotV had a significant constructed impact, but she might be close to Teferi in terms of ratio.

I wonder which PW has the worst ratio of good to bad cards. Garruk?

EDIT: Karn has had 3 and they've all been very good I think, but the Dominaria one is obviously a lot worse the other two.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 8, 2021

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

fadam posted:

I think there's only ever been one really good Nissa PW, Liliana has a lot that are casual/commander friendly but IIRC only LotV had a significant constructed impact, but she might be close to Teferi in terms of ratio.

Nissa who shakes the world was standard defining, Nissa Worldwaker was a huge part of the green devotion decks in Khans standard, Nissa Voice of Zendikar was all the gently caress over those 4 color goodstuff decks in BFZ standard, and Nissa vital force was a big for the transformational sideboard of the aetherworks marvel deck that finally got banned.

Liliana, the Last Hope, OG Liliana, LOTV, and the 6 mana liliana from war were all significant constructed players

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah Lili the Last Hope has largely been eclipsed by W6 for eternal format creature pinging, but she was impactful for a while and still shows up in pioneer.

Chatterstorm and Sojourner's Companion banned in Pauper

MURPHAGATOR!
Apr 6, 2013

Another busy day at the
Fight House.
Chandras had a lot of mediocre to bad printings, but my real guess would be one of the fringe walkers who showed up in WAR and only has like 2 cards.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

A big flaming stink posted:

Nissa who shakes the world was standard defining, Nissa Worldwaker was a huge part of the green devotion decks in Khans standard, Nissa Voice of Zendikar was all the gently caress over those 4 color goodstuff decks in BFZ standard, and Nissa vital force was a big part of the aetherworks marvel deck that finally got banned.

Liliana, the Last Hope, OG Liliana, LOTV, and the 6 mana liliana from war were all significant constructed players

You might be right about the Nissas (WW was the one I was talking about in my post, no it wasn't whatever-the 5 CMC one that makes lands 3/3s and ramps is the one I was talking about), but I played a lot during Khans and I don't remember seeing that much Nissa.

I completely forgot about how good Last Hope was during standard. 6 CMC Lili wasn't played that much though: MTG top 8 only has her in 96 mainboards and 59 sideboards throughout her entire standard tenure for Major+ events.

Incidentally Liliana Vess was only in 41 MD and 80 SB during her standard (compared to Jace who I remember being the most playable of the original 5, who appears in 100+ for each).

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 8, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Katilda, Dawnhart Headwitch - GW

Legendary Creature - Human Warlock (Rare)

Protection from Werewolves

Human creatures you control have "T: Add one mana of any color of that creature's color"

4GW, T: Put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control

1/1

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

quote:

This rocks

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Surprisingly close to Atris for a monocolour common.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm man enough to admit to the half second I was bummed this cost 1 to exile for the mana before realizing I had nearly broken every single format in the game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

This rocks

A little weak for a fiver but very good effect

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Also eaten alive seems v. good especially with all the token generation

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Boo was hoping for another ghost quarter reprint.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Pablo Nergigante posted:

A little weak for a fiver but very good effect

Any more and it would be kind of nuts. A 3/3 that brings in two guys that just got wrathed seems really strong to me. This grabbing a Thalia and a Lieutenant out of the bin excites me. The dream is this bringing back a Charming Prince and something else so you get to double up on it. I reread the card, dream's dead.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 8, 2021

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

A common that will make blue one of the better draft colours.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

fadam posted:

Any more and it would be kind of nuts. A 3/3 that brings in two guys that just got wrathed seems really strong to me. This grabbing a Thalia and a Lieutenant out of the bin excites me. The dream is this bringing back a Charming Prince and something else so you get to double up on it.

I don't think it's a Modern Humans card but maybe a 1 or 2 of in historic? Reveillark dominated standard and this is close enough that I would be surprised if it didn't find a home.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mcmagic posted:

I don't think it's a Modern Humans card but maybe a 1 or 2 of in historic? Reveillark dominated standard and this is close enough that I would be surprised if it didn't find a home.

Especially with modern Modern Humans builds I don't think it's good enough, but definitely worth testing in Histroic.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 8, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The problem is that the format is super hostile to humans in historic and the deck is kinda bad.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

You don't have to run it with just Humans tho, right? I think this effect is playable in a bunch of Wx decks, and after they do something about Jeskai Control it will be even better.

The fact that it can grab two guys simultaneously is what really sells me on it. However, you can't run this and Lurrus in the same deck, and Lurrus is probably just better a lot of the time if you're not in the market to fish two specific guys out the yard at the same time.

The effect is cool, and I'll definitely test it out. I suspect WW is still going to be pretty good in Standard and this is nice in the board.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 8, 2021

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

1 toughness on the front side is annoying, but this seems okay to me. Wish it had a cooler type than Soldier to represent her becoming Batman.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

1 toughness on the front side is annoying, but this seems okay to me. Wish it had a cooler type than Soldier to represent her becoming Batman.

if a bw sac deck has enough enablers besides the minotaur then I'll be interested, but otherwise, 3 mana ughhhhhh

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

You have to play it, have it survive as a 2/1, flip it AND have something to return with it. Pretty sure it's just a limited card.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

A+ flavor text here, plus the effect is nuts. Exile a Planeswalker for 1 (at sorcery speed) is drat good.

Feels like this had Flash at some point in the testing process but still very strong without it. Selesnya Angels in Standard will definitely run this.

For clarity, you can grab up to 2 creatures whose cost add up to MV 2, correct? So either two 1-drops or one 2-drop?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The card is nuts. There's plenty of sac outlets it naturally curves into and it's exciting in any BW aristocrat deck.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Mat Cauthon posted:

A+ flavor text here, plus the effect is nuts. Exile a Planeswalker for 1 (at sorcery speed) is drat good.

Feels like this had Flash at some point in the testing process but still very strong without it. Selesnya Angels in Standard will definitely run this.

For clarity, you can grab up to 2 creatures whose cost add up to MV 2, correct? So either two 1-drops or one 2-drop?
No you can get up to CMC 4.
The wording you're thinking of is "with a total" like on call of the death dweller.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Mat Cauthon posted:

I think you can grab two guys at 2 CMC.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

HootTheOwl posted:

No you can get up to CMC 4.
The wording you're thinking of is "with a total" like on call of the death dweller.

Oh that's crazy good then.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

A+++ flavor callback

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I don't think that's a callback?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/coL_Amazonian/status/1435660439682179079

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
They should use Amyzonian's art tbh

Also hosed up that the Hound Tamer doesn't buff Hounds (Dogs)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Vampires is my jam, card is great.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

drat that's cool

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Neat & I feel that this card looks better than it plays. Good SB card for some matchups though.

Very cool. don't know how good it'll be but compared to other cards that force your opponents to have tokens like clackbridge troll or relic robber, this seems like a big step up.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

BioThermo posted:

Neat & I feel that this card looks better than it plays. Good SB card for some matchups though.

Very cool. don't know how good it'll be but compared to other cards that force your opponents to have tokens like clackbridge troll or relic robber, this seems like a big step up.

2 for a 3/3 with a fairly minor downside and a good power seems great to me