Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
COD1 mp was really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Squeezy Farm posted:

COD1 mp was really good.

gently caress yeah it was

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

shoeberto posted:

Yeah that's what I was referring to. I don't really remember any comparison between RTCW and CoD at the time. RTCW also didn't really lean into the cinematics the way the CoD SP did. Like some of the lead-ups to the battles in CoD1 were absolutely butthole-clenching in terms of the tension they set up before you got released from the amphibious landing craft.

MW was definitely the one that made the franchise a huge international phenomenon, but the original CoD was a big leap forward in its own right.

ah, gotcha, I actually missed your post before, lol my bad

MoH: Frontlines had some moments where you had a squad or a disjointed set of AI companions that moved from place to place, but CoD had stuff like the mission in the Russian campaign where you don't even start with a weapon, it's just you and dozens of other poor bastards running into a meat grinder and picking up the dead guy's gun ahead of you

also:

Squeezy Farm posted:

COD1 mp was really good.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

I thought the talk of Titanfall 2 having one of the best single player FPS campaigns in recent memory was probably BS. Then I saw Vince Zampella in NoClip’s Half Life documentary, and it seemed like he knew what he was talking about so I paid $2 for it and had an absolute blast.

Speaking of Titanfall 2, there's a rumour going around that there's a remote code execution vulnerability in the launcher so uh uninstall it until this gets fixed!

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its hard to accurately capture how seismic Modern Warfare was for online console gaming. Pretty much every college age kid I knew dropped Halo overnight.

Raven handled the remastered version a few years ago (highly recommended) and its pretty wild how much the Perks/Loadout has remained unchanged ever since. Other games got there first, but Modern Warfare was the first that made it accessible on a wider scale.

All this Pick 10 loadout noise is still running off that basic formula.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Narcissus1916 posted:

Raven handled the remastered version a few years ago (highly recommended)

yeah that was an excellent remaster

I LOVE Raven, there's an early FPS game I NEVER hear anyone talking about that they made called Necrodome, where you're driving around shooting people. It was the first FPS I ever played and I loved it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc_4XY6Y7vM

look at it!!!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I care little for console FPS players. They ruined the genre.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Groovelord Neato posted:

:ok:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

But Doom64 was (and is) a good game so not everything is ruined.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Guillermus posted:

:yeah:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Give me all the crazy console ports of pc shooters

half life on PS2… with an entirely new co-op campaign
not even enough memory to draw weapon models
I love it

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guillermus posted:

This is true but they also had to do weird stuff with the monsters because of memory limits.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

weird.. and good?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Blue imp is kinda lame.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

Agreed, let's kill them.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

with what lol, a mouse and keyboard? heh, fat chance :cheers:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Give me all the crazy console ports of pc shooters

Duke Nukem 64 must be the weirdest in my eyes, as it's so different from the other versions. I wonder if that'll ever get an official rerelease now Raze is a thing?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Mordja posted:

Agreed, let's kill them.

Kill Deez first

I LOVE Raven, there's an early FPS game I NEVER hear anyone talking about that they made called Necrodome, where you're driving around shooting people. It was the first FPS I ever played and I loved it!

look at it!!!

Oh neat this guy has a Cybermage playthrough.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

The increasing re-canonization and beatification of Doom 64 in recent years has been weird to me when for two decades it was just an odd side entry. I can only assume it's due to the Nintendo-kid glow? I know Hugo Martin has cited it as the only Doom that mattered to him as a kid, and I guess that same situation must be driving a lot of nostalgia.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Convex posted:

Duke Nukem 64 must be the weirdest in my eyes, as it's so different from the other versions. I wonder if that'll ever get an official rerelease now Raze is a thing?

doesn't one of the build source ports actually let you play duke 64?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I was going to say that Carmack's fast inverse square algorithm is probably still present in all games that have a quake lineage, but it turns out it was originally an SGI thing.

I'd be unsurprised if there was still some original quake engine code still holding the thing up in every non-unreal 3D game though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

The fast inverse square root was obsoleted about 20 years ago when Intel introduced a dedicated CPU instruction which computes it faster and more accurately

If anyone is still using it in a game engine, they probably shouldn't be

renzollama
Jul 16, 2017

site posted:

titanfall 2 was fun as hell though terribly short and they left the most fun gun in the game to the final 15 minutes :argh:

If you're talking about the smart pistol, introducing it at that point in the game was one of the best design decisions in the single player experience. Getting it for that long run section fulfills the power fantasy of the entire narrative where you finally become one of the badass pilots your character worships in the intro. I don't think it would be fun at any other point in the game, just overpowered and boring.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
this channel remasters old videogame music by finding the original samples and hardware used, they finally released facility from goldeneye
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSuVmYdcp4M

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Linguica posted:

The increasing re-canonization and beatification of Doom 64 in recent years has been weird to me when for two decades it was just an odd side entry. I can only assume it's due to the Nintendo-kid glow? I know Hugo Martin has cited it as the only Doom that mattered to him as a kid, and I guess that same situation must be driving a lot of nostalgia.

I always thought of it as a weird side thing that was surprisingly good but it carried a bit of a stigma being on Nintendo and was treated more as a strange knockoff Doom for small children. That attitude has mostly evaporated over the years and was always pretty bullshit TBH, now we're left with a totally unique version of Doom that was way better than it had any right to be and people have increasingly recognized that now that it's more widely available.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

look at it!!!
Is this one of those vehicle combat games made with a 2.5d engine?

Groovelord Neato posted:

Blue imp is kinda lame.
Nightmare imp is a good idea and shows up in Project Brutality for good reason

Linguica posted:

Doom 64 is more of a Doom 3 than Doom 3 and it was re-canonized by Doom2K16 and DoomE, so for all its flaws it deserves its comeback. Also having a good modern console and PC port helps too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

repiv posted:

The fast inverse square root was obsoleted about 20 years ago when Intel introduced a dedicated CPU instruction which computes it faster and more accurately

Yeah here’s a good series tracking down where FISR comes from and how useful it was or is today https://youtu.be/uCv5VRf8op0

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

ZShakespeare posted:

I was going to say that Carmack's fast inverse square algorithm is probably still present in all games that have a quake lineage, but it turns out it was originally an SGI thing.

I'd be unsurprised if there was still some original quake engine code still holding the thing up in every non-unreal 3D game though.

I think it was also Michael Abrash that implemented that assembly wizzardry into quake, not carmack? edit -- beaten by the above video

this is definitely an obvious part of quake's code legacy though

https://gfycat.com/jaggedsomeamphiuma

WilWheaton fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 9, 2021

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I was reacting to CoD being revolutionary in any way. There's arguably no original bone in it's body. But it was great. Doesn't matter that your circle played it more than my circle or whatever.

Also I see your Necrodome and raise you BLAM Machinehead. I hate that game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zluNhQ6dueg

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

repiv posted:

Eh I do the less exciting sort of programming, so it just goes to show how much i know about graphics.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Arivia posted:

Speaking of Titanfall 2, there's a rumour going around that there's a remote code execution vulnerability in the launcher so uh uninstall it until this gets fixed!

At the moment it's just a buffer overflow that can crash the client and people are only speculating about RCE but better safe than sorry etc. No need to uninstall, just don't go into multiplayer for the time being.

(Theoretically adding "+communities_enabled 0" to the game's launch options avoids the issue but I'd say it's risky.)

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

All this chat just makes me wish there was a CoD:UO open source standalone in the way that ET:Legacy exists for Wolf:ET, goddamn what a fun multiplayer game

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
It's a crime that they still charge $20 for Cod+UO so there's no playerbase except for heavily modded zombie servers or whatever. ET you can at least still play on weekend nights.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Anyone know how to get KexQuake's higher-quality audio in Quakespasm? Been playing AD, and I'd like to use the better sound effects if possible.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
this elite force game is doooope

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

renzollama posted:

If you're talking about the smart pistol, introducing it at that point in the game was one of the best design decisions in the single player experience. Getting it for that long run section fulfills the power fantasy of the entire narrative where you finally become one of the badass pilots your character worships in the intro. I don't think it would be fun at any other point in the game, just overpowered and boring.
Yeah. Letting you have it outside of that section would have been a mistake.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think I'm one of the few people that didn't really care for Titanfall 2. Like the mechanics were great, but the story and dialogue drag the whole thing down. For every "holy poo poo I'm playing portal and/or wallrunning through a car parts factory" moment there's a bunch of warmed up filler like any other campaign.

I get why people gravitated toward it, but I much preferred Infinite Warfare. (Which, speaking of engines, is still incredible to look at and play).

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Infinite Warfare was the last good COD campaign imo. Cold War had some cool things but its mostly towards the end and the campaign is barely three hours.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think I'm one of the few people that didn't really care for Titanfall 2. Like the mechanics were great, but the story and dialogue drag the whole thing down. For every "holy poo poo I'm playing portal and/or wallrunning through a car parts factory" moment there's a bunch of warmed up filler like any other campaign.

I get why people gravitated toward it, but I much preferred Infinite Warfare. (Which, speaking of engines, is still incredible to look at and play).

Yeah but you don't have BT-7274 on Infinite Warfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Disposable Scud posted:

Infinite Warfare was the last good COD campaign imo. Cold War had some cool things but its mostly towards the end and the campaign is barely three hours.

I liked some bits of MW2019, the large open area on the estate was amazing and it’s a shame the rest of the game wasn’t like that.
I did not like Cold War at all, I was really disappointed.
Infinite was amazing.

Linguica posted:

It’s probably because it’s really good and lots of people are now getting to play it for the first time. I never even heard of it and anyone I tell about it just assumes it’s a straight N64 port of the PC game.