Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gripweed posted:

I got one of those G-Frame things for Try New Thingstember/tober, but it turns out it's even less of a model kit than I thought. It's just a toy that comes assembled on a nonposable frame so you have to take the pieces off and put them on the posable frame and then throw away the nonposable frame.

I'm not sure what the point of that gimmick is

It's so they can sell two individual packs in supermarkets, countering the production costs without reducing impulse purchases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.
Today's build, a Leo. Still need to clean it up, but it was a really fun build.

Argas posted:

Honestly, gen 1 was kind of too generic. The Rabiot is where it gets chonkier and the Cielnova is where it gets really good with long arms and huge legs. The Spinatio uses a completely different base for its designs, with the caveat that they're clearly made to be the mechanical cross-series line for 30 minute sisters. The next gen stuff revealed so far are transformable mechs for the UN with the Espossito. I think the best use for them is kitbashing discount versions of Gundams or other mecha series since they're definitely on the cheaper side of things.

I'll try some of the others if I see them. The Spinatio looks interesting. Also the Exa Vehicle (Small Mass Production Machine Ver.) looks really cool.

So far I've only put together HGs, but I'm thinking of trying an MG sometime soon - suggestions on a 1st one are appreciated. I've been thinking either a RX-78-2 or a Ball.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Moai Ou posted:

I just picked up one as well (the EFSF Zaku). On that one, at least, there's instructions on how to turn the non-portable frame into a (questionable) display stand.

OK yeah I saw the display stand thing and I've changed my mind, the nonposable frame is easily the best part of the package

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I finally got around to building a GM Cold District Type that I’ve had for quite some time and decided to try painting for the first time. I’m pretty happy with how it turned out considering I only had some Gundam markers and one really awful brush for that part. I realized early on that it wasn’t going to look good so I started rough sanding parts to make them look worse and go for a battle hardened, battle damaged look. I mostly stuck with the stock colors and repainted, except for the shield which I swapped from red to white. And also attacked it with a file to give it more damage.

The I brushed a bit of red and black mix onto the GM to try and make it look like it had been splashed with some oil or hydraulic fluid.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Gripweed posted:

I got one of those G-Frame things for Try New Thingstember/tober, but it turns out it's even less of a model kit than I thought. It's just a toy that comes assembled on a nonposable frame so you have to take the pieces off and put them on the posable frame and then throw away the nonposable frame.

Do the thing. You tried, you learned, it counts.

I think I may like the certificate more than the prize. This is getting framed, Grassy Gnoll.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
that's brilliant

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

:five: amazing

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

SpikeMcclane posted:

Do the thing. You tried, you learned, it counts.

Kickass thanks. I don't have the prebuilt pic because as I said when I opened it up I discovered it was just a weird toy, but I did fish the box out of the recycling which definitely proves that I built it recently because nobody would be disorderly enough to have an old model kit box just lying around

This'll be fun, there's a bunch of different model lines I've had a vague interest in trying out and Try Something Newtember/tober will be the perfect excuse.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Today's build, a Leo. Still need to clean it up, but it was a really fun build.

I built this one a couple weeks ago. Do the little doodads on the ankles stay put for yours? One clicked in and stays fine but the other falls off so easily.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

...nobody would be disorderly enough to have an old model kit box just lying around

Ho boy, am I breaking rules.

quote:

I just noticed and that's goddamn amazing.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

Detective No. 27 posted:

I built this one a couple weeks ago. Do the little doodads on the ankles stay put for yours? One clicked in and stays fine but the other falls off so easily.

Same. One is in good, the other pops off if I breathe on it. Both pop off easily when posing it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Gripweed posted:

As sold in Japan, they're convenience store/supermarket novelty products. The single piece of gum included allows it to be sold as 'food'.* :v:

*(Legally you're actually paying for the gum and the toy is a 'free gift')

RillAkBea fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 7, 2021

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

RillAkBea posted:

As sold in Japan, they're convenience store/supermarket novelty products. The single piece of gum included allows it to be sold as 'food'.* :v:

I was wondering why they included the most pathetic piece of crappy gum I've ever chewed in my life.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Isn't that the same loophole people use to sell rec weed in legalish states? I wish they'd do that with gunpla.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

I wondered why all the Stand Arts came with a chiclet. :ms:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Alright, next up for my trying new stuff, my first ever Full Metal Panic kit! I haven't looked into FMP at all since Fumoffu, assuming that the franchise had peaked there and it could only be downhill.

Just from a quick glance at the sprues, this basically looks like any HG Gundam. I'll find out in the build.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Are there Zoids kits in stock anywhere in the US for a decent price? I’m having trouble finding anything that isn’t hugely marked up.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Alright, next up for my trying new stuff, my first ever Full Metal Panic kit! I haven't looked into FMP at all since Fumoffu, assuming that the franchise had peaked there and it could only be downhill.

Just from a quick glance at the sprues, this basically looks like any HG Gundam. I'll find out in the build.

That's a fun build. Leans a little too heavily on stickers like a lot of HGs do but it goes together nicely, though I still haven't figured out what to do with the Earthquake Gun.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Are there Zoids kits in stock anywhere in the US for a decent price? I’m having trouble finding anything that isn’t hugely marked up.

If there are any hobby shops that carry Japanese kits near you, you might be able to find those new Zoids Wild ones.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Built the Ramba Ral Bugu from The Origin today. I really love these for HG kits. They’re simple, detailed, have great little sticker kits, and go together really well.

I’m starting to un-action base some of the HG kits. I’m thinking about how I’m going to handle presentation on my shelves and I don’t think I want to end up buying 40 action bases to get everything posed up.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I have to buy more Goufs to make a Gouf Troop.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Detective No. 27 posted:

First, thank you for saying the words that have been in my head for nearly two decades

Second, is the plural of Gouf Goufs or Gouves

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

A flock not not zakus, obviously.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A flock of FLAGS.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Phy posted:

First, thank you for saying the words that have been in my head for nearly two decades

Second, is the plural of Gouf Goufs or Gouves

I watched through the MSG dub a couple weeks ago and the voice actors swap between "Guff" and "Goof" and I swear one did say "Goof Troop" in that episode where Amuro fights a few of them.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I did not know there's a mecha musume offshoot of 30 Minute Missions and that sounds pretty cool.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

In stock for a reasonable price is hard. Usually you need to preorder to get normal pricing.

USA Gundam Store had a growing stock of preorders up:

https://www.usagundamstore.com/pages/search-results-page?q=zoids+model+kit

Otherwise, I've had some luck checking Amazon periodically. Sometimes you can snag a kit for a pretty decent price there, too.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Detective No. 27 posted:

*taps the sign*

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Detective No. 27 posted:

Did someone say Goufs?
https://i.imgur.com/oX4dweh.mp4]

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I did not expect the Bugu to look so good.

Just Dan Again
Dec 16, 2012

Adventure!
I need to remember to keep my eyes open for an MG Gouf 2.0 in case one ever crosses my path. The Gouf was my favorite mobile suit for a long time, and I've always enjoyed the Ramba Ral story arc.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Just Dan Again posted:

I need to remember to keep my eyes open for an MG Gouf 2.0 in case one ever crosses my path. The Gouf was my favorite mobile suit for a long time, and I've always enjoyed the Ramba Ral story arc.

It's probably about due for a reprint.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

My impression of Ramba Ral changed a ton after watching The Origin and his noble battle with Lucifer.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

JoeGlassJAw posted:

I swear I saw a post on instagram earlier of an p-bandai RG Eva 01 reissue (maybe slight recolor?) that comes with the launch dock and the spear of Cassius like in the new movie, but I think it got deleted because now I can't find it, but keep your eyes peeled for that if that sort of thing interests you.

It went up again on some socials so keep an eye on P-Bandai. The launch dock will be a standalone release with an AT Field. Seeing Feb 2022 release date for both. Eva 01 JPY 5,500; Dock/AT field set JPY 2,420

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I'm close to done ordering any kits from Amazon. I had ordered a Sazabi back in July that it turns out was a chinese seller (technically I ordered it before I ordered Epyion). Today I received a bootleg AEUG Mk-III kit instead. Now I get to play the game with Amazon customer service again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

koreban posted:

I think I'm close to done ordering any kits from Amazon. I had ordered a Sazabi back in July that it turns out was a chinese seller (technically I ordered it before I ordered Epyion). Today I received a bootleg AEUG Mk-III kit instead. Now I get to play the game with Amazon customer service again.

The thing with Amazon stock (at least in the US) is there is no seperated Seller A stock and Seller B stock when selling Item A. There's just shelves of Item A in their warehouse that get pulled from for both sellers.

So if you have Good Vendor selling Item A and Dodgy Vendor selling Item "a", you can easily wind up receiving item "a" through ordering from Good Vendor. SD cards and the like are a big victim of this.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Ok, here's my recent project:

http://imgur.com/gallery/em0yk5t

I originally built the kit about a year ago and sort of left it after assembly. Went back and spruced it up with additional pla plating and some detail parts from a jadgpanzer or some such model kit to give it a bit more definition. Naturally disaster struck when the head ball joint snapped off. I managed to drill a hole into the ball joint and wiggle it loose. I used a toothpick to connect the head back to the body. The ball joint still allows full rotation and movement but drat was it a pain.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The thing with Amazon stock (at least in the US) is there is no seperated Seller A stock and Seller B stock when selling Item A. There's just shelves of Item A in their warehouse that get pulled from for both sellers.

So if you have Good Vendor selling Item A and Dodgy Vendor selling Item "a", you can easily wind up receiving item "a" through ordering from Good Vendor. SD cards and the like are a big victim of this.

Now that I’m becoming proficient with this particular issue…

When I spoke with Amazon CS today we did the whole contact the seller, wait 48 hours thing like the last time. This time I pointed out to the CS call center person that if you click on the vendor’s name, they had 4 reviews from no longer than 2 weeks ago, all saying that they sent bunk product. I mentioned that they’re advertising on the product page for the legit product and either sending bootlegs, or else in my case, sending a much less expensive kit. It was the same with the last vendor, and that I, as the consumer, was trusting Amazon’s vetting process when I go to the Amazon page for the legit product and pay Amazon my money for the product I want.

We’re waiting 48 hours to see if the seller refunds first, but likely they’re cutting and running now. Amazon will refund me if the seller doesn’t, so I’m not sweating it.

I ordered one of the recently restocked RG Sazabi’s instead of the MG Ver.Ka, which I think I’d prefer at this point. It’s significantly less than the Ver.Ka was going for back in July anyways, so saving money….

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It's rarely worth the hassle unless the item is both sold and shipped by Amazon. I've bought a few p-bandai kits from Japanese sellers on Amazon and it's worked out, but YMMV and I wouldn't bother for kits that are regularly reprinted.

If you need recommendations for shops to use the gunpla reddit has a pretty decent list.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/wiki/shopping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

Fun Shoe
Fantastic, thanks. That’s really helpful.