Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I don't remember exactly but isn't it just a few nazi symbols? Can't you just slap a sticker over them and call it a day? Let the new owner discover the mystery of the nazi bike and have his own "PO" story to post :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Some loving degen just tried to steal my bike. It was parked out front of my work and I heard the alarm go off, so I booked it out and almost caught him before he ditched it and jumped into a truck. The left side fairing is all hosed now, and I was already trying to sell it. :(

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Hopefully plastics aren't horribly expensive.

Man all these stolen bikes posts making me think of upping my insurance to full coverage.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
These were easily the dumbest bike thieves ever. It was at 9pm on a busy main street, they pulled off to a sidestreet right next to a packed patio, and when I rounded the corner chasing the guy, the truck didn't even have its tailgate down and my bike's alarm was still screaming. A couple of patrons hopped the patio to give chase as well, but he dumped the bike right in front of me and got into the truck just in time to get out of there. I'm very lucky to still have the bike, and I honestly don't know what I would have done if I'd been a few seconds faster and caught the guy.

Look how they massacred my boy :(

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

oof

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Russian Bear posted:

Hopefully plastics aren't horribly expensive.

Man all these stolen bikes posts making me think of upping my insurance to full coverage.

My full coverage is only like $100/year. Collision is what’s expensive.

I wonder if that damage would be covered under full coverage because it was a result of theft attempt? I could see it going either way.

edit: spelling!

Toe Rag fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 7, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
In case you can't tell from my posting, I'm not very bright; the bike was not insured for theft or damage (what we call 'comprehensive' insurance in Canada), only for 'liability' (if you gently caress up someone else's ride). Cops said there was basically no point in pursuing 'attempted theft' and they're right.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

My full coverage is only like $100/year. Collision is what’s expensive.

I wonder if that damage would be covered under full coverage because it was a result of theft attempt? I could see it going either way.

edit: spelling!

The jump to comprehensive that would cover theft is 85 -> 450 for me. I'm hoping after 1 year of riding that will go down.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Russian Bear posted:

The jump to comprehensive that would cover theft is 85 -> 450 for me. I'm hoping after 1 year of riding that will go down.

:stare: That seems like the insurance company's way of letting you know your bike is absolutely going to get stolen and they'd have to pay for it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

lol I pay $1400/year for comprehensive on the Ninja 650 and basic liability on the DRZ. I would murder for $450.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Martytoof posted:

lol I pay $1400/year for comprehensive on the Ninja 650 and basic liability on the DRZ. I would murder for $450.

What the hell. I have comprehensive, collision, medpay, roadside assistance, and pretty much every other option. For my Road Glide, Ducati Scrambler, and the KLX together it's $730/yr.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Welcome to Ontario!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Strife posted:

:stare: That seems like the insurance company's way of letting you know your bike is absolutely going to get stolen and they'd have to pay for it.

It's not just theft though, it's replacement if I crash it etc and it being a 2021 and me a new rider, I guess I'm not surprised.

vvvvvvvv

Edit: you're right I'm getting my terms mixed up, but I think how it worked is you couldn't separate collision and comprehensive or something weird. Might just be my insurance because USAA contracts it out to geico in my state

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 8, 2021

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That's cheap, then. Maybe it varies by state but I always understood comprehensive to include theft and damage that is not collision, eg hit and run, vandalism, tree/hail/fire, etc. Damage from while the vehicle is in motion is collision. I do not carry collision on my bike, because it is ridiculously expensive. I have to renew my insurance at the end of the month. Last time I did, collision was well over $1000 extra, closer to 2k iirc. Maybe it's better now that I have been "successfully" riding for 2 years. I guess I'll find out!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Martytoof posted:

lol I pay $1400/year for comprehensive on the Ninja 650

I paid four times that for liability alone on the gixxer

:(

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

What the what?!?!

How many people just ride uninsured where you live if rates are that insane?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Knight posted:

Welcome to Ontario!

I pay a fair chunk more than I would in (some of) the states, but between the relatively low insurance compared to BC and ON, the near total lack of inspections, and the mountain access, I gotta say AB is a good place to own an old motorcycle

Downside: the roads are laser straight everywhere else and also I'm surrounded by Bertans, fuckin Christ help me

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

I think I'm drawing the line at paying more to insure a bike when it approaches what the bike is worth :q:

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Phy posted:

I pay a fair chunk more than I would in (some of) the states, but between the relatively low insurance compared to BC and ON, the near total lack of inspections, and the mountain access, I gotta say AB is a good place to own an old motorcycle

Downside: the roads are laser straight everywhere else and also I'm surrounded by Bertans, fuckin Christ help me

Speaking of, I’m moving to Canada in a few weeks, I have googled s couple of things but how is is riding over there? I’m going to live in Mississauga or whatever is called, any ideas ?

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well, Mississauga is part of the GTA megalopolis, so imma defer to my Ontarian compatriots as I'm no more than an infrequent visitor.

E: "What's riding like in Canada" is about as answerable a question as "What's riding like in the US". The laws are generally the same across the country, though double check on things like being able to pass on the right. I can do it all day, so can Ontarians, I dunno about Quebec. I think Quebecers can't turn right on a red.

As for the roads... TO is just north of Buffalo. I'm a few hours north of Glacier National Park in Montana. There's a lot of Canada!

Riding's fantastic in BC (think Washington/Oregon) when it's not burning to the ground, except that if they catch you doing more than 40 km/h over, they impound your bike for a few days. Another goon and I separately end up riding a pretty similar loop out there every year or so, except he flies out of Ontario to do it and I just throw my tent on the back of the bike. The Prairie provinces are like the Midwest, especially Saskabush. There's an old joke about how if your dog runs away out there you can watch him for a couple of days. I assumed there was some fun stuff out in ON and Quebec cause its older, but there's also driving through cities and highways to get to it. The 401 is insane unless you're coming from LA or Atlanta or some poo poo. I spent a weekend driving around Nova Scotia 15 years ago and it was lovely, but I was also told it was one of the few times that year it wasn't raining.

Phy fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 10, 2021

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

mulligan posted:

I’m going to live in Mississauga or whatever is called

There are a few decent roads around 'Sauga but most are short. The titular road, Mississauga Road, starts right at Lakeshore in Port Credit and has a couple of decent corners - also some boring straights where your view is nothing but McMansions on either side, and unfortunately unless you're riding late at night or very early in the morning it's also quite busy, so expect to get jammed up behind some SUV when you should be enjoying the corners. You can take Mississauga Road about a half hour North into Streetsville; it pretty much ends there but this is right about where I used to start blindly picking roads and found some decent ones mostly devoid of cars - Creditview Road is scenic because it follows the river for a little while. The most popular riding road in the area though is Forks of the Credit Road, which is further North and easier to access in a straight shot up Highway 10. It's got some very fun corners (including a very scary switchback) but it's all of ten minutes long - once you hit the small town with the cafe/ice cream shop, it's basically over.

Also, I regret to inform you that Mississauga sucks rear end in just about every way. Port Credit and Streetsville are picturesque, but the rest of it is benighted suburban hellscape.

In other ranty news (with a Canadian twist), I thought I had trouble with lowballing idiots before the bike was damaged in the attempted theft. Just spent a few minutes with a guy who offered $2000 (to my firm asking $4000, which I lowered by $1500 because of the cosmetic damage), he would not shut up about how I'm "not gonna get any more for it". Checked his FB profile and it's full of 'gently caress Trudeau', racist/homophobic memes, anti-vax stuff, and Punisher skulls. I told him "I don't sell to clowns" and blocked him.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat

mulligan posted:

Speaking of, I’m moving to Canada in a few weeks, I have googled s couple of things but how is is riding over there? I’m going to live in Mississauga or whatever is called, any ideas ?

Plan on an hour or two to get to anything other than mostly flat, straight farmland roads or sprawl. If you head west, there is a little fun along the Niagara escarpment in Burlington, and Hamilton. South and east of Hamilton, on the south side of Lake Ontario is beautiful, and has some interesting roads due to the escarpment. Otherwise you’re looking at the shoreline roads of Lake Erie and Lake Huron for interesting rides. North and east of newmarket gets interesting as you get into Muskoka. Around Haliburton the riding is good; and the roads are usually well maintained. East of the GTA (around the east side of Oshawa) the roads get more interesting. Lots of curvy side roads, but not as nicely maintained as Muskoka.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Yeah there's some good riding in Ontario, it just tends to be not anywhere near the GTA lol.

Friend took me on nice country roads north of Oakville/Burlington, the aforementioned Forks Of The Credit/Mississagua Rd. combo, and Harburn Road from Haliburton to Fort Irwin is a blast if you're out in cottage country:

I've read about Hockley Valley and will try to head there next time I'm on my way to Guelph.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oh yeah, anything in 'cottage country' is pretty good. I used to love riding Highway 118 when I worked near Bracebridge. One thing that I always wanted to do (but never will I guess :() is circumnavigate Lakes Rosseau and Muskoka on a bike. All of that is between two and three hours North of the GTA though.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

All of the above kind of covers the most of it, there are no good riding roads unless you get spend 2-4 hours of traffic hell getting out of town. Also filtering is illegal, but more importantly people will actively try to kill you if you do, so you'd better be pretty good at it if you want to make any progress out of the traffic hell.
There are no scenic routes. There is only the 401. It is eternal. It will either break you or you were already broken.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

There are some nice winding roads around Ancaster but they're like 30km/h and they last for maybe two minutes.

And I can't find anywhere to ride offroad or trails here without joining OFTR or loving off to crown land twenty hours away. It loving sucks. I need to be less reserved about just asking the hundreds of rich people with dirtbikes and muddy dualsports in their driveways where the gently caress they go with them.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Martytoof posted:

There are some nice winding roads around Ancaster but they're like 30km/h and they last for maybe two minutes.

And I can't find anywhere to ride offroad or trails here without joining OFTR or loving off to crown land twenty hours away. It loving sucks. I need to be less reserved about just asking the hundreds of rich people with dirtbikes and muddy dualsports in their driveways where the gently caress they go with them.

If you hear of anything public, let me know; KW has one private area near it, OFTR required. I will probably get it next year, as I want to ride the trail system near Belleville.

I’m curious, is there a compelling reason to not getting OFTR membership? If there’s something wrong with the organization, I’d prefer not to give them money.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
Sure I wasn’t expecting California 1 or whatever, but it’ll be new to me, so I guess I can start exploring a few months after I get settled.

Also loving lol at anything real state related like rent, Airbnb and condos, you guys are truly hosed (and extension, me too) ... Why is everything so insanely expensive? Looking at my budget, NYC was more affordable which is crazy to think about. BC prices got a genuine hearty lol from me so that’s out.

I haven’t gotten into bike insurance prices, but everything I’ve seen makes it expensive as hell, guess it’ll take a few months / years to start even thinking about riding.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

mulligan posted:

Sure I wasn’t expecting California 1 or whatever, but it’ll be new to me, so I guess I can start exploring a few months after I get settled.

Also loving lol at anything real state related like rent, Airbnb and condos, you guys are truly hosed (and extension, me too) ... Why is everything so insanely expensive? Looking at my budget, NYC was more affordable which is crazy to think about. BC prices got a genuine hearty lol from me so that’s out.

I haven’t gotten into bike insurance prices, but everything I’ve seen makes it expensive as hell, guess it’ll take a few months / years to start even thinking about riding.

Long story short, there are like two cities in Canada that have both high paying jobs and that people want to live in. Investors (both foreign and domestic) realized that the demand for property in those cities (greater Toronto and greater Vancouver) was never going to shrink, so the real estate there was a good place to park (launder) money and let it accumulate value. There is no desire or will to remedy this situation at all, because if housing prices ever dropped in those cities, the entire Canadian economy would collapse like the world's did in 2008. Welcome to Canada!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ontario's insurance rates are also based on your postal code IIRC (or maybe this is typical everywhere, I don't know). Supposedly people in like, Vaughn or Brampton pay out the nose even by our standards. I live in Richie Rich old people part of Ancaster (lol I'm not rich) and I think my rates are probably better, but I also only have my M2 and, what, two years of riding experience? So it'll be high for now anyway.

Snapshot posted:

If you hear of anything public, let me know; KW has one private area near it, OFTR required. I will probably get it next year, as I want to ride the trail system near Belleville.

I’m curious, is there a compelling reason to not getting OFTR membership? If there’s something wrong with the organization, I’d prefer not to give them money.

Nothing I know against getting OFTR membership, just one more thing to pay for. The KW one is also my target, but I'm hoping they have some kind of "offroading for beginners" program because I'm really wary of just getting an OFTR membership and showing up and not having the slightest idea of how to actually ride trails vs street.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Sep 10, 2021

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Ontario's insurance rates are also based on your postal code IIRC (or maybe this is typical everywhere, I don't know). Supposedly people in like, Vaughn or Brampton pay out the nose even by our standards. I live in Richie Rich old people part of Ancaster (lol I'm not rich) and I think my rates are probably better, but I also only have my M2 and, what, two years of riding experience? So it'll be high for now anyway.

Nothing I know against getting OFTR membership, just one more thing to pay for. The KW one is also my target, but I'm hoping they have some kind of "offroading for beginners" program because I'm really wary of just getting an OFTR membership and showing up and not having the slightest idea of how to actually ride trails vs street.

If you don’t mind a journey, trailtours.ca south of Peterborough is great. I went a couple of times pre covid and about 300 bucks got me a new ish (0-1 model yr old) Honda rental for the day, insurance, lunch, gear, instruction with low ratios (2 instructors to 3 riders), a trail pass, and the instructors acting as guides in the Ganaraska forest for the day after they teach/ check out your skills. They do dual sport and trail riding and the Ganaraska is a forest and sand mix.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm sold, thanks!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
I haven't really tried it yet, but the Calimoto app has people saving rides In Your Area, and has some sort of trip planner you can tell it to avoid highways and whatnot.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

Chris Knight posted:

I haven't really tried it yet, but the Calimoto app has people saving rides In Your Area, and has some sort of trip planner you can tell it to avoid highways and whatnot.
Curvy Single(track)s In My Area !?

Thread content: I'm riding out to best coast next weekend, I was going to take a yosemite or tahoe route but it's all smoke and fire right now.

This is a followup to doing the same ride 1-2 years ago (I honestly can't remember) where I had to divert from my Yosemite route for fire/smoke.

Living in the end times is the worst.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Don't worry, it gets much worse than this! :buddy:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Copped a minor road rage today for stealing somebody's spot at the petrol station

Daft motherfucker had driven past the open pump and was trying to reverse into it lol

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Copped a minor road rage today for stealing somebody's spot at the petrol station

Daft motherfucker had driven past the open pump and was trying to reverse into it lol

Did this have to do with trying to line the correct side of the car up to put gas in it?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

I may or may not still have to stop and actually think about that when I fill my car up. In those cases though when I flip a coin and it comes up tails I just hang my head in shame and circle back around.

When I discovered this way too late in life a couple years ago it was kind of a game changer

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also if you have a single exhaust car, the filler neck is on the opposite side of the exhaust, although I’m not sure who can’t remember where their filler neck is but CAN remember where their exhaust is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I've always been a little surprised the whole industry didn't just standardize on one side though the existence of LHD and RHD countries means that was probably always a losing proposition.