Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

was a little bit worried going into FF2 that they changed the mechanics too much (made them comprehensible) but luckily they're still Kawazu as hell, lol

anyway, the only one I'd recommend for the game is FF3 because the DS version is dreadful and this one is actually playable, but they're all worth a pickup on sale if only for the OSTs

i started the ff2 pixel remaster. they did change a few minor things - it levels your spells now if you use them in the menu and sometimes you just get HP, but yeah, it still feels weird and busted, lol. hoping to actually finish it this time, i bounced off it a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

I wish the floating fortress was still in outer space like in NES FF1. They ditched that and the sci-fi tile set in each subsequent version. Big mistake in this gamers opinion.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

the pixel remaster is my first time playing ff2 and I understand that the progress bars are new? even with those I feel like it's only 3-4 fights in an area before everything stops leveling and you just get seemingly random stat increases or magic level ups. kinda kills the getting stronger feels from the normal system because at least there you can see the exp increase.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Sleng Teng posted:

the pixel remaster is my first time playing ff2 and I understand that the progress bars are new? even with those I feel like it's only 3-4 fights in an area before everything stops leveling and you just get seemingly random stat increases or magic level ups. kinda kills the getting stronger feels from the normal system because at least there you can see the exp increase.

there's a hidden numerical ranking for each monster, the higher your stuff gets the less you get from using it against weaker guys. It might be time to move on to stronger enemies?

I think the stuff all raises the same way it used to (HP and Stamina for getting hit, Strength for weapon use, Int/Spirit/MP/Magic from magic use, Agility from dodging attacks, etc.), but it does seem like the conditions for growth are a lot less harsh than they used to be. That enemies target everyone instead of just the front-row people makes it slower to raise Evade though, I used to have one guy with like 9-10 by the end and this time I'm at the cyclone and everyone's still at level 3

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?

Big Bizness posted:

I wish the floating fortress was still in outer space like in NES FF1. They ditched that and the sci-fi tile set in each subsequent version. Big mistake in this gamers opinion.

I agree. The artwork in general is one of the many reasons I prefer the NES version.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

there's a hidden numerical ranking for each monster, the higher your stuff gets the less you get from using it against weaker guys. It might be time to move on to stronger enemies?

I think the stuff all raises the same way it used to (HP and Stamina for getting hit, Strength for weapon use, Int/Spirit/MP/Magic from magic use, Agility from dodging attacks, etc.), but it does seem like the conditions for growth are a lot less harsh than they used to be. That enemies target everyone instead of just the front-row people makes it slower to raise Evade though, I used to have one guy with like 9-10 by the end and this time I'm at the cyclone and everyone's still at level 3

yeah I'm playing the game normally with no grinding and it seems pretty fast is all I meant, like they tuned it too easy or something. what you said makes sense though because so far with maybe a few exceptions it feels like its pretty much the same monsters all the time with the constant backtracking

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

yeah, it got harder to raise evade I think. you used to be able to just equip shields, cast blink at the beginning of combat and level if forever, lol.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

yeah, it got harder to raise evade I think. you used to be able to just equip shields, cast blink at the beginning of combat and level if forever, lol.

lol it took me most of the game this time to figure out that they still have a severe spellcasting penalty; once I stopped using shields on my black magic caster his spell damage went from around 100 to around 1000 so, uh, don't do that!

I finally finished it and the last dungeon requires a well-leveled Life spell or as many Phoenix Downs as you can buy, but the music kicks serious rear end

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Does it have the post game stuff they added in dawn of souls

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

P-Mack posted:

Does it have the post game stuff they added in dawn of souls

nope. at least, final fantasy 1 didn't, I'd assume the same is true of 2.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope the FF6 pixel remaster has the extra GBA stuff.

Also I know ff1 through 3's pixel remasters have redone music, have they said that would or wouldn't be the case for 4-6?

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

nope. at least, final fantasy 1 didn't, I'd assume the same is true of 2.

no extra content for 2, and none of the extra stuff for 3 either

so it's looking likely they won't have any for 4-6 either, but I'm curious to find out what the redone music will sound like

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

All that extra stuff might possibly be DLC at some point?

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Sleng Teng posted:

Wallet primed and ready to buy FFIV After Years again

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

Sleng Teng posted:

someone datamined redone sprites from the GBA ports so this is probably what is going to happen

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

one thing I've noticed that I like is that modern hardware makes the old-school turn-based battles way quicker than the ATB ones, but I could be a bit biased there because the last ATB game I played was 9

but if you play 2 well, most battles can be done in one/two turns, which is cool

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

the extra stuff sucks tbh.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

big This. the dungeon in the ffv remake is ok but the rest sucks poo poo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

flying through ff2. berserk is insanely OP. I don't think the pixel remaster of this worth it if you'd already played it, but having never finished it before, I'm enjoying it. it's not a great game but it's interesting to see what they were trying and where a lot of final fantasy staples got their origin.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

flying through ff2. berserk is insanely OP. I don't think the pixel remaster of this worth it if you'd already played it, but having never finished it before, I'm enjoying it. it's not a great game but it's interesting to see what they were trying and where a lot of final fantasy staples got their origin.

getting toad to level 16 and turning all bosses and annoyng enemies into toad ftw

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i like ff2 for what it tried to do but all the stuff i liked about it went into the SaGa games and got 1000x better and the parts that i dont like are so fuckin obnoxious i will never play it again under any circumstances. the story about ultima pwns though

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I like being able to load the game after beating the final boss and keep the weapons you can steal in that fight.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Started a party with no fighters and no red mages and can confirm, an all fighter/red mage party is still the best FF1 party.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Bicyclops posted:

the emperor is so evil that when he died he took over hell and locked satan in a treasure chest, then rose from the grave = doom e1m1 music playing in my head

but also part of him went to heaven (?) and took over heaven too; he had a good part that took over heaven = doom e1m1 music does NOT play in my head

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!
it's good to have a version of final fantasy 3 that isn't the bad DS remake

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Fungah! posted:

i like ff2 for what it tried to do but all the stuff i liked about it went into the SaGa games and got 1000x better and the parts that i dont like are so fuckin obnoxious i will never play it again under any circumstances. the story about ultima pwns though

I opened up a treasure chest in the... third-last dungeon? and got ambushed by a huge group of cats that wiped out my party with instant death before I had a chance to act, to me this is one of the classic ff2 experiences lol

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Meloncholric posted:

it's good to have a version of final fantasy 3 that isn't the bad DS remake

thats definitely true

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

ff2 and 3 are both turds from my anus

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

I opened up a treasure chest in the... third-last dungeon? and got ambushed by a huge group of cats that wiped out my party with instant death before I had a chance to act, to me this is one of the classic ff2 experiences lol

yesterday i tried to walk to the dreadnought through the desert above it and got in like six exhausting fights that drained my party so bad, i had to walk all the way around the world back to altair instead of doing the dungeon, lol.

but most of the game, the dungeons are so easy, i just have two of the characters sit around and practice their spells on each other while Guy slowly kills everything and Rotating Fourth Slot defends. you're either just hitting Q and not looking up for hours or instantly on the brink of death, it's a bizarre game.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

isn't the pixel remaster of 4 supposed to release today? my steam library just says "coming september 8th" :/

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Bicyclops posted:

isn't the pixel remaster of 4 supposed to release today? my steam library just says "coming september 8th" :/

The game usually unlocks at like 6pm GMT on the given date I think

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bicyclops posted:

Any idea when the ff6 one releases? It's crazy that i can't find a release date for it anywhere

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Any idea when the ff6 one releases? It's crazy that i can't find a release date for it anywhere

they don't have one for 5 or 6 yet. they only announced 4's release date a few weeks ago. i'd guess some time in late october for 5 and november for 6.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The game usually unlocks at like 6pm GMT on the given date I think

but i want it now.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

but i want it now.

same, gonna have to interrupt my P4/SMT3 playthroughs for this. I'm mostly interested to hear what the updated music sounds like, ff4's ost was already top-tier

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Tokyo Sexwale posted:

same, gonna have to interrupt my P4/SMT3 playthroughs for this. I'm mostly interested to hear what the updated music sounds like, ff4's ost was already top-tier

I don't love it so far. all respect because nobuo himself did the remixing, but the town music in particular sounds a bit off. the boss battle music is awesome though.

didn't realize until I'd bought a bunch of arrows that they changed it so you just equip one arrow now, it's not a consumable. I think that's the only difference I noticed so far. just up to recruiting Rosa.

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
They did that arrow change in the DS version, huge QoL improvement. They also made it so nobody but Rosa could equip arrows which was a bummer in dark elf's cave.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
You can check out the ff4 music here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUEB2bYtjBo

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Boss battle sounds pretty good but I think my favorite arrangement is still the Culex battle from Super Mario RPG

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

welcome posted:

They did that arrow change in the DS version, huge QoL improvement. They also made it so nobody but Rosa could equip arrows which was a bummer in dark elf's cave.

yeah, it seems cool. I think the best arrows in the game can only be stolen like 10 at a time from something in the last dungeon so it'll be nice to just steal one and be done with it. one of the achievements is to find all the hidden summons, so I'm kind of hoping they changed the drop rates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

no i can't.