Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I rewatched the sequels and liked them more than I expected, probably because they're so utterly different to modern superhero sludge. Reloaded in particular looks incredibly bonkers when compared to a modern mainstream blockbuster. Revolutions was much better than I remembered too.

Now I'm replaying Enter the Matrix on the Xbox. This has not aged well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's funny that one review of Enter The Mateix said "this is why you don't release a game on 4 systems at once" but now that's the norm.

Have you played Path of Neo? It's pretty wild too, especially the sisters interrupting the game to explain the changed ending.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

The MSJ posted:

It's funny that one review of Enter The Mateix said "this is why you don't release a game on 4 systems at once" but now that's the norm.

Have you played Path of Neo? It's pretty wild too, especially the sisters interrupting the game to explain the changed ending.

Yeah, I've played it and remember it being pretty fun. Will probably give it a whirl later this month. Honestly most of EtM's problems are that it was clearly rushed out the door to hit the movie's release plan.

The whole crossmedia story thing is very cool though - I wish it'd have become more of a thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I've watched a clip compilation of all the footage they've used for those teasers and it looks like it has a lot of shots that came right out of the first film. I wonder if this is going to be some sort of remake/sequel to the originals. It starts out super familiar, even shot-for-shot, of the first film before going off the rails.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I've watched a clip compilation of all the footage they've used for those teasers and it looks like it has a lot of shots that came right out of the first film. I wonder if this is going to be some sort of remake/sequel to the originals. It starts out super familiar, even shot-for-shot, of the first film before going off the rails.

I saw deja vu cat so yes.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
My assumption is that this all takes place in a much earlier version of The Matrix (or across multiple versions) and the later events we've seen are "echos" of these earlier events due to these events and characters reoccurring time and time again. But that's just pure speculation.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Necrothatcher posted:

I rewatched the sequels and liked them more than I expected, probably because they're so utterly different to modern superhero sludge. Reloaded in particular looks incredibly bonkers when compared to a modern mainstream blockbuster. Revolutions was much better than I remembered too.

Yeah, when I rewatched the Matrix and POTC trilogies recently I was a lot kinder to the sequels than I used to be purely because they don't look like the MCU house style we get these days.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'm really interested in what the 'real world' looks like after potentially generations of humans being given the option to awaken per the deal at the end of Revolutions. Are they still underground? Has the surface of the earth recovered and become repopulated? Is the new society better or worse than being in the Matrix? I'm thinking the movie will grapple with that question.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Colonel Whitey posted:

I'm really interested in what the 'real world' looks like after potentially generations of humans being given the option to awaken per the deal at the end of Revolutions. Are they still underground? Has the surface of the earth recovered and become repopulated? Is the new society better or worse than being in the Matrix? I'm thinking the movie will grapple with that question.

For me the key question that I haven't seen answered yet is when this takes place relative to the end of the last movie(maybe the answer is out there and someone itt can fill me in). I believe Jada Pinkett-Smith has been confirmed to be in the movie so I guess that probably means it hasn't been that long? Because if not for that bit of casting, I would've guessed they were gonna take us like 500 or 1000 years into the future. It's not like Neo and Trinity are "alive" in the traditional sense, so Pinkett-Smith is the only one really tethering this thing to a specific time period.

Also the fact that Fishburne wasn't asked to return made me think this would be set far enough into the future where Morpheus would be dead.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Yeah I don’t know either about the timeline, I’m just making assumptions. Pinkett-Smith (and Neo and Trinity) could possibly just be computer programs generated by the need for the matrix to have resistance figures in order to perpetuate its existence, and those were the resistance figures that people were drawn to initially so it recreates them. That would be a neat parallel to our political reality, where the appearance of resistance without the will to act serves to perpetuate cycles of control and oppression.

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 8, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's just weird that Niobe(that's Pinkett-Smith's character) would be back but they wouldn't even bother with Morpheus. Like, whatever the story reasoning you're using to have Niobe in the movie, it seems like that same reasoning would work with Morpheus. It's not like they asked Fishburne and his price was just too high, from what I understand he wasn't asked to return at all.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Basebf555 posted:

It's just weird that Niobe(that's Pinkett-Smith's character) would be back but they wouldn't even bother with Morpheus. Like, whatever the story reasoning you're using to have Niobe in the movie, it seems like that same reasoning would work with Morpheus. It's not like they asked Fishburne and his price was just too high, from what I understand he wasn't asked to return at all.

I was thinking that Yahya Abdul Mateen II is young Morpheus but still not entirely sure. I'd love for Laurence Fishburne to just come the gently caress out of nowhere even though it doesnt look like he's cast.

Laurence Fishburne made Matrix what it was just as much as anyone else I think so who knows. Bummed if he doesn't actually show up.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 8, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
If they're planning ahead for more movies I guess having Morpheus sit out of this one and then suddenly return in the next would be great at hype building but if this flops and that's all they get that will be a real bummer

Teaser trailer recording, it looks very good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-L10MgkkhhE

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

dreffen posted:

I was thinking that Yahya Abdul Mateen II is young Morpheus but still not entirely sure. I'd love for Laurence Fishburne to just come the gently caress out of nowhere even though it doesnt look like he's cast.

Laurence Fishburne made Matrix what it was just as much as anyone else I think so who knows. Bummed if he doesn't actually show up.

It is just generally kinda funny that the only surviving member of the main three from the original movies is the only one not coming back.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

LesterGroans posted:

It is just generally kinda funny that the only surviving member of the main three from the original movies is the only one not coming back.

:(

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Morpheus is such an underrated character as well. I mean LF goes from Jimmy Jump to fuckin Furious Styles to Morpheus? Why do you hardly hear his name?

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

don't forget Cowboy Curtis

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Colonel Whitey posted:

don't forget Cowboy Curtis

I don't know how we got onto it but I found out my wife had never seen Boyz in the Hood and I showed her that, which she liked. She thought Laurence Fishburne was great in that.

And then I showed her Cowboy Curtis because , and it broke her brain.

e: King of New York is also a great movie. Laurence Fishburne's great in everything.

dreffen fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 8, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Deep Cover is a very underrated Fishburne movie that I recently discovered.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

I brought a friend who had never seen Apocalypse Now before to a 40th anniversary screening and he was shocked when I told him the kid was Larry Fishburne.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
wrote this elsewhere, but as someone who recently rewatched, my theory on why matrix 2 and 3 were received so poorly is partly bc #3 pays off a bunch of poo poo that no one remembered from 2, which itself feels unfinished. E.g., the Smith-Bane stuff was so freaking good but when I originally watched #3 in theaters I had forgotten all the setup from #2. And #2 kind of just leaves you with a semi-interesting lore dump from the architect, then neo decides to save trinity which we all expected anyway, then closeup on some random guy's face while leaving open the whole "machines are attacking!!" frame. Watching them back to back is a good experience. looking forward to #4

Jay-V fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 8, 2021

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Jimbot posted:

Matrix: Genisys ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Say what you will about the sequels, but I won't hear a word said against the whole highway sequence.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MLSM posted:

Matrix: Genisys ?

Who was Terminator Genisys directed by?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

Cacator posted:

I brought a friend who had never seen Apocalypse Now before to a 40th anniversary screening and he was shocked when I told him the kid was Larry Fishburne.

I actually saw the movie for the first time recently as well, but I immediately noticed how similar he was to Fishburne and then I googled it to confirm it. He was what, 14 iirc? Incredible

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

LesterGroans posted:

I mean he died in the Matrix MMO but they could retcon or ignore that.

Wait, what if Neo and Trinity are both still dead and this is just digital versions of them in some new Matrix? Then an alive Morpheus wouldn't be there, though I guess there's no reason you wouldn't just copy alive people too so I dunno.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I just assumed this isn't going to be a straight sequel, based on where Revolutions left off. I'm thinking it'll be a prequel and sequel that has more of a Cloud Atlas-style timebending narrative where previous versions of characters have ripples into a post-Revelutions world.

Basebf555 posted:

Deep Cover is a very underrated Fishburne movie that I recently discovered.

Just caught that a few weeks ago for the first time, he's terrific in it.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 8, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I can see it being a sequel because I don't believe for one second the likes of the Architect or the big machine thing at the end saw humanity as anything more than fuel, and whatever peace Neo bought was fleeting. The movie didn't earn any other kind of reading from me. Nothing really changed: the power dynamic remains the same.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Sorry

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I just hipe it answers the question that I have been asking for twenty two years:

What happens if you took both pills?

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy

:perfect:

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

David D. Davidson posted:

I just hipe it answers the question that I have been asking for twenty two years:

What happens if you took both pills?

Diarrhoea

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

the trick is that they're both placebos

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

dreffen posted:

Here's my pet theory on the timeline/plot and Morpheus, all based on wild, pre-trailer conjecture

Movie is set after Revolutions, with peace still tense between humans and machines - the machines are slowly allowing humans to be disconnected as they transition to alternative energy sources, a pace with Zion accepts as it scrambles to build infrastructure to feed and house freed humans in a harsh real world. Morpheus has disappeared, and we start on Niobe

Niobe is reluctantly working with the machine in the Matrix to investigate growing instability of the Matrix that is causing sections to break, killing the attached yet-to-be-freed humans. Niobe suspects Morpheus is investigate if this is the Machines intentionally causing small genocides in violation of the truce

Meanwhile the machines are concerned that massive sudden losses of power could cause the collapse of the Machine, rendering them weak, while simultaneously angering the humans.

While traveling with an Agent, Niobe spots a man who appears very similar to a young Morpheus, who acts and behaves like him - this character does not seem to have any memory of who he is or was.

Niobe questions the Agent about this, who admits that in an effort to stabilize the Matrix, they are trying to reintroduce The One cycle. This requires an Anomaly (Neo & predecessors), and effort to free him and resist (Morpheus), and a means to inspire The One to choose to save those he loves and humanity (Trinity) In an effort to jump start this process, the Machines have been growing more clones of Morpheus in the fields and attempting to implant them with backups taken from Morpheus' mind at birth. This revelation causes more tension between humans and Machines

Now, we cut to Neo. he does not remember who he was. Although the audience is initially led to believe he, like the Morpheus we saw earlier, is a clone with backups of Neo implanted on him, we learn from an Agent that Neo, having separated him mind and body for a time in Matrix 3, lives on in the Matrix, though his body has died

He is the cause of the instability - an actual non-AI human mind running on Machine hardware that is not meant to house it. The Machines cannot delete Neo because of his connection to The Source, so the opt for sedating hit with Blue Pills and observing him closely, hoping perhaps he can re-play his role in the prophecy that makes the Matrix equation work

Eventually, A Trinity and the Morpheus we saw earlier cross paths and free Neo again. This causes more instability and more dead attached humans. Worse, this also predicates that introduction of the last missing piece of the Matrix's equation balance - The Smith.

Some stuff happens, while young Morpheus goes through an identity crisis believing he is nothing more than a backup of the original Morpheus upon hearing what the Agent revealed and having a brief encounter with the original Morpheus. At some point later Laurence Fishburne makes an extended heroic cameo, and helps young semi-clone Morpheus re-establish his sense of self.

Somehow this all plays out into a Smith v. Neo part 2, this time 'fixing' whatever is wrong with Neo that causes the instability.

Neo gets to live forever in the Matrix, and Trinity (however she comes back) opts to live there with him and the Machines to keep him company long into the future after the last human is freed

forgot to include the Merovingian in my theory:

he is the initial lead that Niobe and the Agents are investigating early in the movie. he is rumored to have been creating unauthorized lesser AI to use as servants to replace freed humans as labor, but these subroutine AIs have, themselves, began approaching sentience and singularity and are putting increased strain on the Matrix's processing capabilities, and they are beginning to rebel against the Merovingian. This is noted by Niobe or the Agent to ironically mirror the falling out between humans and AI centuries before. After assisting the sub-AIs in defeating the Merovingian's henchmen and stopping his AI creation, the Machines sympathize with the fledgling AIs, and 'upgrade' them into normal programs using resources freed by deleting the henchmen, finally freeing them from the Merovingian's control

text editor fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 9, 2021

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

mllaneza posted:

Say what you will about the sequels, but I won't hear a word said against the whole highway sequence.

I always remember the moment the two trucks collide and I was in the theater, my jaw immediately just dropped and I looked over at my friend and we were both in total :O faces.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

:five:

text editor posted:

Here's my pet theory on the timeline/plot and Morpheus, all based on wild, pre-trailer conjecture
*snip*

That’s a solid theory I like it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

The Dave posted:

I always remember the moment the two trucks collide and I was in the theater, my jaw immediately just dropped and I looked over at my friend and we were both in total :O faces.

The movie was in a pretty cool vibe when the ghost twins were introduced, but it just kept camping up from there. Notice the music, progressively more and more bass, more energy. The music and the editing really made that sequence. Good thing they measured up, just building a replica of Hwy 101 to shoot on was super expensive.

dreffen posted:

:five:

That’s a solid theory I like it.

:same: That'd be a good movie.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

dreffen posted:

What you say here plays into my guess that this movie takes place several years before Matrix 1....and after, like The Godfather Part II

I'm sad about Fishburne not even being asked too, he's amazing in everything and was a majorly important part of the series.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 9, 2021

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I think the plot for Matrix 4 is destined to be disappointing, simply because of the fact that the story was supposedly ended with a bow. And yet here we have another.

It isn't fair to Neo or the viewers because seeing Neo again essentially undoes the sacrifice he made for man and machine.

But, I'll start with a different perspective on how things ended and how that leads to my dumb conjecture:

We are at a post 6th iteration Matrix. Matrix version 7 is what got started after Neo defeated Smith. But we don't know if this is still the 7th iteration or not. From the teaser, the scenes that could be taken as a non-construct and Matrix world seem to bear the hallmarks of Sati's touch: the simulation does not bear the green hue of control.

As early as Reloaded, it was clear that programs/AI were doing things that machines didn't really intend. It should probably also be mentioned that this brings about a big issue: how many machines/programs/ai had actual free will? Smith never had free will. Had he had free will, he wouldn't have just become a virus without purpose other than to propagate after his code got merged with part of Neo's. His code simply just escaped the confines of the intent, it just never gave him free will.

So there's not only programs choosing to hide in the Matrix to escape deletion, but there's also programs (Sati) being smuggled into the Matrix because they were 'created without purpose' by programs who may have not had complete free will.

We don't know how the process of humans being allowed out of the Matrix has played out. But, it's likely, I think, that it isn't going great and another issue is that there are programs sneaking into the Matrix to escape control as well.

I'm sure there are other ways to go about the plot, but this makes sense to me as a way to get around Neo's death.

Neo 'touched' the Source- which is why he was able to control/disable machines in the real world. He had, essentially, joined subconsciously with the AI for whatever reason. But it isn't a one-way street: after Neo's death, the machines could re-create him in the Matrix because of that contact.

Who is he in the Matrix? I want to know. He could have been resurrected as an Avatar by the machines to slow the disconnection of humanity- or to help humanity choose. Or, he could have been resurrected to solve the problems machines have with programs expressing the desire to escape their 'duties' and go into the Matrix.

Now, as far as the teaser goes:

I like to think of this not as the Star Wars greatest hits bullshit where they pull the same beats from previous trilogies. I think Lana is the type of writer/director to turn the tropes we've come to know from the first trilogy on its head- or, at least mirror them.

For instance:

Maybe Morpheus has been inserted back into the Matrix, as opposed to being the person who led so many out.

Perhaps 'young' Morpheus is the 'aggressor' in the dojo construct, where Neo is teaching him.

Neo may very well be a being that is only slightly controlled. Neo's nature is to have free will, but the machines must find a way to subvert it- which is why he's popping blue pills.

Without the pills, he's essentially uncontrollable, like Smith- though not in the viral sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have a theory that's completely off the wall!

Neo is going to turn at the camera and state "I am The Matrix", it'll cut to another angle and there will be another, younger Neo and he'd be all "woah". Then it'd cut to another angle and a young Arnold Schwarzenegger will be there and he'd be all "I am John Matrix" then it'd cut to another angle and Bill Duke will be there and yell "This Green Beret will kick your rear end!" then they'll fight the exact same fight they had in the motel room in Commando except with matrix powers and poo poo. They'll explode through a wall, there'd be a couple trying to make whoopie, but it'll be PG-13 nudity as not to offend the fundamentalist demographic. Arnold would have a one-liner and the fight go about the same as in Commando except with matrix powers causing more explosions and what have you. After the fight it'll zoom in on Arnold's eyes then zoom back out and it'll be an old Arnold sitting down with his grandkids telling the story of the events of Commando. It'll smash cut to black and text will slowly appear "John Matrix shall return in Commando 2!"

The resurrections in the title is that of it resurrecting 80's action shlock. The enthusiast press thought fans screaming and frothing over the post-credit sequence of Shang-Chi was bananas, wait until they see what burnt out Gen Xers who grew up on action trash and millennials horny for 80's nostalgia will do! They'd have to burn down the theaters to get rid of all the filth that'd explode from them!