Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
It's my birthday so I ordered a Breedlove:

(My guitar but not my picture, it's supposed to get here tomorrow.)
I tried one when I was at Guitar Center the other day and really liked the way it felt, and I like the look of those myrtlewood sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gregday
May 23, 2003

BDA posted:

I tried one when I was at Guitar Center the other day and really liked the way it felt, and I like the look of those myrtlewood sides.

Sup Myrtlewood Breedlove buddy

Mine is by far the best acoustic I’ve ever played. I’ve tried more expensive ones but for feel, fun, and tone, I’d be happy if I never played another.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

BDA posted:

gregday posted:

Sup Myrtlewood Breedlove buddy

Mine is by far the best acoustic I’ve ever played. I’ve tried more expensive ones but for feel, fun, and tone, I’d be happy if I never played another.

Hello friends. I have a rosewood/cedar Breedlove that I got as a stupid deal of the day and I love it, too. I was looking at Yamaha LSs, 2x/3x Taylors, etc before the deal popped and I have no regrets at all.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

gregday posted:

So the PRS case photos were actually from the seller. Mine just arrived so here it is with my CE24, which also counts as a recent purchase being less than a month old.

Nice man! Makes me want to get a case for mine too except I'd never take it anywhere.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook
I bought a pretty nice new strat back in early summer. Decided to destroy its value by slapping on an amazon Chinese metal pickguard which I instantly regret doing. But for now, I present, the ersatz "hitmaker"

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

It looks alright to me. Keep the old one, and you can switch it up when you get tired of it.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Basic Poster posted:

I bought a pretty nice new strat back in early summer. Decided to destroy its value by slapping on an amazon Chinese metal pickguard which I instantly regret doing. But for now, I present, the ersatz "hitmaker"

Erzatz Hitmaker is a name of power

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook
I readjusted all my pickup heights and I hate it less now.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

In true "Hitmaker" fashion you can never run it through an amp, always DI'd.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I'm very inexperienced with DAWs and I managed to put down an EZDrummer track and rhythm that I like. But now I'm trying to improvise a melody over it on another track, and the guitar distorts in a bad way when I'm recording and monitoring the rhythm and drums. I'm thinking what's happening is the rhythm guitar is being processed through the ampsim and effects on playback and then my melody track is also real-time going through its own effects chain and all that gets rammed through the interface's monitor out and it just gets garbled?

I'm thinking I need to "flatten" my rhythm track down so the DAW is just playing back a processed .wav rather than real-time playing it, but I don't want to commit to that effects chain. Maybe there's a way to "flatten" and hten undo it? Is there a term or simple method for doing what must be this common-rear end thing in all studios? I want to record a bunch in my DAW, but I really over-think this crap and get lost in the weeds until all my musical motivation dies.

:negative:

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

former glory posted:

I'm very inexperienced with DAWs and I managed to put down an EZDrummer track and rhythm that I like. But now I'm trying to improvise a melody over it on another track, and the guitar distorts in a bad way when I'm recording and monitoring the rhythm and drums. I'm thinking what's happening is the rhythm guitar is being processed through the ampsim and effects on playback and then my melody track is also real-time going through its own effects chain and all that gets rammed through the interface's monitor out and it just gets garbled?

I'm thinking I need to "flatten" my rhythm track down so the DAW is just playing back a processed .wav rather than real-time playing it, but I don't want to commit to that effects chain. Maybe there's a way to "flatten" and hten undo it? Is there a term or simple method for doing what must be this common-rear end thing in all studios? I want to record a bunch in my DAW, but I really over-think this crap and get lost in the weeds until all my musical motivation dies.

Turn down the levels?
I don't know anything about DAWs, either, but I definitely find I need to turn down the outputs of my tracks to stay out of the red zone on the output.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

I may be way off base here but I had a similar experience with my MPC and record players. I had to get a record player that doesn’t have an internal pre-amp or else it just sounds like I have the volume all the way up on blown out speakers.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

former glory posted:

I'm thinking I need to "flatten" my rhythm track down so the DAW is just playing back a processed .wav rather than real-time playing it, but I don't want to commit to that effects chain. Maybe there's a way to "flatten" and hten undo it? Is there a term or simple method for doing what must be this common-rear end thing in all studios?
This is called 'freezing' a track in a number of daws.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

On Facebook

former glory posted:

What DAW are you using? There is probably some tweaking you can do in terms of buffer size adjustment or "drive error compensation". As someone else noted, you can also freeze the track.

Two other things to try, you could record the tracks you want to play back to separate audio tracks. So if you ezdrums are on one, set two's input to be track one and just record it. That way it's just a wave instead of an effect chain running. Then mute track one.

Oddly enough I had some horrible crackling recently that was fixed by updating all the software including and especially windows. This is fairly common

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
This week's arrivals

Pair of 60's DeArmond Toaster tops, one with the base is ~8.9K, the other 8.1K. Bought separately, not sure what I'll do with them.

Maestro by Gibson SG. These were blown out on WalMart.com a few years back for $70-$80 and I always wanted one. Playable but needs work, pickup sounds surprisingly good. Cat sticker stays.

Also, I don't know how many of these I've seen sold as Maestcos because, well, the headstock logo sure looks like Maestco

Will put this alongside my apparent prototype Maestro non-reverse Firebird

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

widefault posted:

This week's arrivals

Pair of 60's DeArmond Toaster tops, one with the base is ~8.9K, the other 8.1K. Bought separately, not sure what I'll do with them.

Maestro by Gibson SG. These were blown out on WalMart.com a few years back for $70-$80 and I always wanted one. Playable but needs work, pickup sounds surprisingly good. Cat sticker stays.

Also, I don't know how many of these I've seen sold as Maestcos because, well, the headstock logo sure looks like Maestco

Will put this alongside my apparent prototype Maestro non-reverse Firebird

I saw that cat sg on shopgoodwill I briefly considered bidding on it :catstare:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

I saw that cat sg on shopgoodwill I briefly considered bidding on it :catstare:

That cat's the only reason I bid and it turns out it's a real sticker and not something printed out and taped or glued on.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Basic Poster posted:

What DAW are you using? There is probably some tweaking you can do in terms of buffer size adjustment or "drive error compensation". As someone else noted, you can also freeze the track.

Two other things to try, you could record the tracks you want to play back to separate audio tracks. So if you ezdrums are on one, set two's input to be track one and just record it. That way it's just a wave instead of an effect chain running. Then mute track one.

Oddly enough I had some horrible crackling recently that was fixed by updating all the software including and especially windows. This is fairly common

I'm on Reaper. I think you guys hit it with "freezing." I call it flatten, like photoshop layers, but that looks like the exact analogue in a DAW. I'll also check the levels. I meant to post this in the guitars thread and got distracted while trying to juggle making pancakes and posting at the same time. :v:

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

former glory posted:

I'm on Reaper. I think you guys hit it with "freezing." I call it flatten, like photoshop layers, but that looks like the exact analogue in a DAW. I'll also check the levels. I meant to post this in the guitars thread and got distracted while trying to juggle making pancakes and posting at the same time. :v:

Not sure how Reaper handles it, but there is a distinction between 'freezing' and 'flattening,' at least in Ableton. Freezing is temporary and can be reversed, flattening is the extra step that is destructive and 'burns' all of your plugins, automation etc. down into an audio track.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

former glory posted:

Freezing and bouncing are both useful ways of looking at it. And in REAPER I think using different takes may be really helpful for what you're looking at too.

Also, a neat little REAPER thing is if you render the project to .wav or whatever, you're automatically given the option of putting up the new render in its own track in the project.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Aug 29, 2021

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

Cool! Thanks for the help, guys. Knowing the terms is half the battle it seems. I'll dig into it tonight and maybe publish this thing on soundcloud if I can get it sounding OK.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Picked up an Epiphone SG Express. Ever since I found out they existed, I’ve wanted one. Couldn’t justify the big prices I saw on Reverb ($200+ before shipping), but found one on FB Marketplace for $75. I cleaned it up, treated the fretboard, put 11s on it so it comes to standard pitch under normal tension, and adjusted the bridge saddles way down. They appeared to be untouched, at the top of their range, making for action up at 2.5mm+. (I wonder how many guitars just get discarded because the setups are lovely, makes me sad.)

I’ve played it for like 3 hours now so my grubby paws have left some smudges where I anchor my fingers and such.

Next to a full sized SG for comparison.

Post adjustment, I don’t like the saddle screws sticking so far up.

edit: the upper knob is correct, the lower one is a replacement. I have 2 fresh ones on order to put it back to spec.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

former glory posted:

Cool! Thanks for the help, guys. Knowing the terms is half the battle it seems. I'll dig into it tonight and maybe publish this thing on soundcloud if I can get it sounding OK.

I think there are more than a couple ways of doing what you want and I think the simplest is to render tracks that you can to audio files and insert them in and mute the track they came from. It's totally undoable and it's what I think I'd do, though I've been playing with DAWless hardware lately. To contribute to this thread, I'm waiting to take receipt of this:

I intend to try using this as a drum, for starters.

former glory
Jul 11, 2011

I'll definitely try that render to track feature as well. Anything that lets me just dive into playing over a track without losing the raw information of the original will work for me and that sounds solid.

Neat looking bass box.

Kush Limbaugh
Oct 10, 2012

added a couple things to my pedalboard:

i got the RV-6 after the behringer knockoff, the DR600, proved to be almost completely useless. luckily the real thing is awesome. the torpedo captor i got because i suddenly had to move and ended up somewhere that i can't turn up my amp, and it works okay. i think i need to try out some more impulse responses to find something that works for me.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Bought a tin whistle in C (on top) to not have to transpose sheet music on the fly. :toot:

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Another old DeArmond for the future project box

Very early 60s, used on Harmony guitars. Same pickup was available with a diamond-shape grille on Harmony-made Silvertones, and with diamond cut-outs on Harmony-made Airline guitars. These are the absolute best sounding of the Dearmonds, in my opinion, and beat the pants off the Japanese gold-foils. This one measures just shy of 9.5K. Foil is beat up and that chunk is missing, but who care what it looks like when they sound great.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

Have been squirrelling money away for ages with the intent of upgrading my Custom 24 SE. Wasn't really intending to go this deep, but the moment I saw this particular guitar I just had to.

35th Anniversary Custom 24 in fire red. It is bloody fantastic.

Spectral Elvis fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Sep 4, 2021

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Spectral Elvis posted:

Have been squirrelling money away for ages with the intent of upgrading my Custom 24 SE. Wasn't really intending to go this deep, but the moment I saw this particular guitar I just had to.

35th Anniversary Custom 24 in fire red. It is bloody fantastic.

Great looking guitar. I've played a bunch of PRS models and literally all of them were world class, top tier instruments.

Congrats!

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Picked up a Hammond organ from the thrift store for cheap.

It smells like a grandma and it's not a "cool" hammond but my partner wanted to get it so we did. She's looking at having surgery soon and wanted something to plonk around on while recovering.
The built in drum rhythms are interesting and it at least has a built in Leslie speaker.

The volume pedal is stuck in the full on position so it's currently loud as poo poo. I gotta take it apart and figure out what's going on there.

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Every Hammond is a cool Hammond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRhajLix0Lo

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

You had me at built in Leslie. That's the good stuff.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Thumposaurus posted:

Picked up a Hammond organ from the thrift store for cheap.

It smells like a grandma and it's not a "cool" hammond but my partner wanted to get it so we did. She's looking at having surgery soon and wanted something to plonk around on while recovering.
The built in drum rhythms are interesting and it at least has a built in Leslie speaker.

The volume pedal is stuck in the full on position so it's currently loud as poo poo. I gotta take it apart and figure out what's going on there.

Oh super nice. There's a Yamaha BK-5C organ for $35 AUD in our local Facebook marketplace that has been very tempting, though we have no space for it.

I've been enjoying watching this dude shred Hammonds at the Keyboard Exchange International in Florida:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33EwlFef2jE

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I could listen to that guy play anything holy poo poo.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I'm just fascinated by that channel at the moment. That guy, I feel, is the best but there's a whole bunch of cool organists and there's a two Hammond organ jam in there.

Even the white guy who owns the store steps out once or twice.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

NGD! I don't intend to have them very often but it was so cheap! And it feels nice in my hands too, though it has a bad pot, the cable jack is incredibly loose, and who knows what else.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Sep 7, 2021

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i spenda too mucha da money on-a da guitar knob!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

My rhetorical guitar body has left the virtual realm and I still need advice on what neck to get

sorry, wrong thread. But this is my next instrument and I need advice on what neck to get for it.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 8, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

petit choux posted:

My rhetorical guitar body has left the virtual realm and I still need advice on what neck to get

sorry, wrong thread. But this is my next instrument and I need advice on what neck to get for it.

For a while I was thinking of making a premium parts caster and the neck I eventually settled on was a fender elite neck. Compound radius, easy truss rod access - location is at the bottom of the neck but doesn't require taking off the guitar to adjust. Some people don't like the look but I prefer a cleaner headstock. Anyway that's my 2c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Carth Dookie posted:

For a while I was thinking of making a premium parts caster and the neck I eventually settled on was a fender elite neck. Compound radius, easy truss rod access - location is at the bottom of the neck but doesn't require taking off the guitar to adjust. Some people don't like the look but I prefer a cleaner headstock. Anyway that's my 2c

Whoah, thanks for the input, bigtime. I will reward you with more pics later.