Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thumbtacks posted:

I have a 2016 ford focus and yesterday the transmission basically stopped responding and switching gears automatically, it was unpleasant. i can still drive it but i cap out at like 30 and sometimes reverse doesn't really work so I have to push it. This isn't ideal. I took it to an auto parts store to check the fluid but you have to check it from udnerneath the car because apparently ford hates its customers. so i took it to a transmission shop the guy recommended and they ran the computer stuff and the guy was like "you're really not going to like me if you leave it here to get it repaired" and recommended i contact a ford dealership to run the VIN and see if there's any recalls or active warranties. my control module is still under warranty but the clutch apparently just passed warranty which sucks. the guy sounded pretty convinced that it was a computer problem and that ford wouldn't tell me that because they don't make money off repairing it.

i don't know who's right in this situation but i'm also very unhappy with potentially spending a few grand to get it replaced. is there somewhere i can check like active recalls or warranties online or something? i don't know who i can trust anymore and i have a feeling i'm about to get absolutely hosed either way.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Also type Ford Powershift into your favorite search engine. Sorry lol. You may get a 7 year / 100,000 mile warranty, not sure.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

ah gently caress

well this is going to suck to repair.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Charles posted:

Also search for Ford Powershift. Sorry lol. You may get a 7 year / 100,000 mile warranty, not sure.

clutch had a 7 year 100k warranty and i'm at 103k
module has a 15/150k warranty which is active but probably not the problem.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
why do cars have governors/how can i disable mine?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

pnac attack posted:

why do cars have governors/how can i disable mine?

Get a better car.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Charles posted:

Get a better car.

Don't a significant number of high end German cars have a governor disabled by an extra fee payment? Is there anything the fee is paying for except flipping a bit from a 0 to 1?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Inner Light posted:

Don't a significant number of high end German cars have a governor disabled by an extra fee payment? Is there anything the fee is paying for except flipping a bit from a 0 to 1?

Don't know but if they're talking about a speed governor and not an RPM governor, the answer usually has to do with the speed rating of the tires. For a German car maker like Porsche they charge you for anything they think they can get away with :P

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Charles posted:

Get a better car.

i feel like this one has a lot more to give and suffers mostly from being rudely interrupted by a governor. like it's not even close to revved out, the ignition just cuts completely as soon as the needle passes 110

there has to be One Weird Trick to keep this from happening and i bet someone here knows it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The speed governor on German cars is traditionally set to 250 km/h because the German government made a "gentleman's agreement" with the car manufacturers to do this because they didn't want ever faster cars on the Autobahn (which has no speed limit on most stretches).

And yeah you're paying for someone to flip a bit in the ECU.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

pnac attack posted:

i feel like this one has a lot more to give and suffers mostly from being rudely interrupted by a governor. like it's not even close to revved out, the ignition just cuts completely as soon as the needle passes 110

there has to be One Weird Trick to keep this from happening and i bet someone here knows it

We all know, but we're not going to tell you. :colbert:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

pnac attack posted:

Read the thread title.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pnac attack posted:

Don't drive 110 mph.

If you need to go more than 110 because you're racing on a track, ask around the pits; someone there will be able to help you out.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Yeah. The dumbest thing Ive ever done is driven at ridiculous speeds on public roads. I got my SRT-4 up to 150+ MPH when I was young and stupid and it was a very bad idea.

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i did not consent to be governed

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

pnac attack posted:

i did not consent to be governed
She lost, get over it

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
I just got a recall notice that the plastic Mazda emblem on my steering wheel might shatter and harm/kill me in accident, followed by another statement that they don't have the replacement parts available. Is there anything I can do in the interim to prevent Mazda badges from goring my face should I get into a minor accident?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

DildenAnders posted:

I just got a recall notice that the plastic Mazda emblem on my steering wheel might shatter and harm/kill me in accident, followed by another statement that they don't have the replacement parts available. Is there anything I can do in the interim to prevent Mazda badges from goring my face should I get into a minor accident?

Duct tape, of course.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
take it off the wheel

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Only have major accidents

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
How do you get the brake pads out without messing them/the hardware up? I end up having to pry them out with a screwdriver or something because they won't just come off when pulled by hand, and will inevitably get stuck as they turn ever so slightly sideways. Usually it doesn't matter since they're going in the bin anyway but this time I had to re-install them and it wasn't great.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Pre-gore face

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's a boatload of reasons a car will have a limiter set at a given speed - could be that it's literally a terrible idea to drive that fast in that vehicle no matter the circumstance, could be tire maximum speed rating, could be the maximum RPM of some other component like the driveshaft on a RWD car.

To remove the limiter you're looking at this:

spankmeister posted:

And yeah you're paying for someone to flip a bit in the ECU.

But whether or not it's a good idea to do so depends entirely on why that limiter is there in the first place and what else you've done to the car to mitigate that risk. Otherwise, enjoy dying when your car veers out of control due to a high speed blowout.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
I'm looking to get a slightly used VW Golf to act as a daily commuter for a couple of years. We've noticed that all the newer Golfs are 1.4L, slightly older models (2018 and before) have the option of that or 1.8L.

I care only about getting from A to B, but we're wondering if the bigger engine would have better performance when trying to navigate in snow. I live in Montréal, so heavy snow conditions are common, as is having your street-parked car be blocked in by a wall of snow when the plow goes past.

Would engine size make any difference?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

No.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

NZAmoeba posted:

I'm looking to get a slightly used VW Golf to act as a daily commuter for a couple of years. We've noticed that all the newer Golfs are 1.4L, slightly older models (2018 and before) have the option of that or 1.8L.

I care only about getting from A to B, but we're wondering if the bigger engine would have better performance when trying to navigate in snow. I live in Montral, so heavy snow conditions are common, as is having your street-parked car be blocked in by a wall of snow when the plow goes past.

Can you get a GTI? Why wouldnt you get a GTI?

Theres no reason to get a Golf and deal with Golf/VW problems if it isnt a GTI.

You might as well consider a Mazda3 or a Civic Hatch or Honda Fit or Subaru or KIA/Hyundai or even a Toyota Hatch

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

NZAmoeba posted:

I care only about getting from A to B, but we're wondering if the bigger engine would have better performance when trying to navigate in snow. I live in Montréal, so heavy snow conditions are common, as is having your street-parked car be blocked in by a wall of snow when the plow goes past.

To give you a bit more info, it wouldn't help because the issue isn't getting power to the wheels, it's getting the wheels to have traction. Even the least powerful modern car easily has the power to break the wheels free and have them spinning uselessly on snow or ice.

If I was getting a commuter car and I lived in Montreal I'd get the most fuel efficient engine I could find and buy a set of dedicated snow tires on steel rims (instead of all seasons on the normal rims that you use year round).

Ok Comboomer posted:

You might as well consider a Mazda3 or a Civic Hatch or Honda Fit or Subaru or KIA/Hyundai or even a Toyota Hatch

Montreal is beautiful but also one of the places in Canada where they salt the roads the most. I wouldn't get anything too 'nice' honestly unless the OP has a garage which it doesn't sound like is the case.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

VelociBacon posted:

To give you a bit more info, it wouldn't help because the issue isn't getting power to the wheels, it's getting the wheels to have traction. Even the least powerful modern car easily has the power to break the wheels free and have them spinning uselessly on snow or ice.

If I was getting a commuter car and I lived in Montreal I'd get the most fuel efficient engine I could find and buy a set of dedicated snow tires on steel rims (instead of all seasons on the normal rims that you use year round).

Montreal is beautiful but also one of the places in Canada where they salt the roads the most. I wouldn't get anything too 'nice' honestly unless the OP has a garage which it doesn't sound like is the case.

If theyre shopping used, the price outlay between a Golf TSI and a GTI is pretty minimal, at least thats how they are a few hours south/across the border in New England.

OP asked about getting more power in the same car. A GTI is literally that, and literally the best option IMO unless OP wants to drop 2.5X the money on a Golf R and get AWD. A GTI will get the same fuel economy as a TSI Golf while making a lot more power and moving a lot more quickly. The durability/maintenance costs should be the same. On the used market one might cost $500-3k more than the other depending on options.

Im not a stranger to Montreal in the winter, nor to keeping a car outside in that region. If the goal is to have a car that deals with that sort of winter, 1) a TSI and GTI will do about the same. 2) there are arguably more affordable/harder wearing cars than either. I really cant say enough good things about Hondas, nor about the latest Korean cars.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Winter tires are also mandatory in Quebec.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I will say that one of the reasonable use cases for AWD is a hilly, snowy city where you have to street park. You can do a much more half-rear end job shoveling out.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Aye if you can get something with AWD that will make far more difference getting going in snow/ice/slush than .4 of a litre in displacement would- and any difference there would be increase in weight on the driven axle from a heavier engine not from power

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Guess you gotta get a Subaru, OP. Or an Audi if you want to stay VAG. Or a crossover

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Naw, just go from Golf to Golf R.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Ok Comboomer posted:

2) there are arguably more affordable/harder wearing cars than either. I really cant say enough good things about Hondas, nor about the latest Korean cars.

Maybe I should switch my question over to the car buying thread then, as our decision on the Golf was a pretty arbitrary "I think you'd suit a Golf" from the wife.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

Maybe I should switch my question over to the car buying thread then, as our decision on the Golf was a pretty arbitrary "I think you'd suit a Golf" from the wife.

I mean, if you don't specifically want a GTI or an R there's really no reason to get a Golf, IMO

IDK how it is in Canada, but VW discontinued the TSI in the US because of poor sales

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

It wouldnt hurt to get some feedback from them too. I think the Golf does have a fair amount of redeeming qualities myself, but Im not unbiased. Either engine is pretty good in my experience, but really there are at least a few options out there, and itd be worth checking them out. All four or so hatchbacks for sale in North America. :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nitsuga posted:

It wouldnt hurt to get some feedback from them too. I think the Golf does have a fair amount of redeeming qualities myself, but Im not unbiased. Either engine is pretty good in my experience, but really there are at least a few options out there, and itd be worth checking them out. All four or so hatchbacks for sale in North America. :)

OP might even prefer *shudder* a crossover, or lifted hatch

Montreal gets a lot of deep snow and the roads can be quite rough so having something tall with the body cladding out of the way and AWD can be legit nice, even if the summer drive suffers a bit

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

OP might even prefer *shudder* a crossover, or lifted hatch

Montreal gets a lot of deep snow and the roads can be quite rough so having something tall with the body cladding out of the way and AWD can be legit nice, even if the summer drive suffers a bit

You got me there. OP, keep an open mind. All cars are kind of terrible, but it pays to get something you like and does what you want it to.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Ok Comboomer posted:

What are VW/Golf problems?

I thought they were pretty bulletproof, reliable, held value on 2nd hand market, always parts available at non-silly prices, loads of documentation for working on them, mechanics familiar with them.

But then again, last one I drove was a Mk 3, with one or 2 red letters in TDI (do they still do that?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

simplefish posted:

What are VW/Golf problems?

Replacing a thermostat on my mk5 GTI cost me around $400 because it's a whole assembly.