Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Grabbed an actual item for scale and they're a LITTLE smaller than mouse poops but still too big to be frass for the usual suspects.

Speaking of there's a possible culprit in these shots but he seemed a little dessicated and didn't respond when poked with a grass blade.

https://imgur.com/a/Y97sJFd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Went kayaking yesterday and saw lots and lots of critters. Kinda hard to take decent pictures with your phone while floating down the river, but between me and my wife we managed a few.

Great blue herons. It was hard to keep track of exactly how many we saw because they kept flying around the next bend every time we caught up to them, but my final count was about 9 or 10 individuals.

Turtles of all sizes. Did not even bother trying to keep count of these, it probably would have neared 100. Also saw 3 softshells.

I think this is a blue-fronted dancer, Argia apicalis. There were tons of these guys...

...many of which had no sense of propriety whatsoever. Get a room!

Our most surprising sighting, a couple of fawns along the riverbank.

Critters I'm disappointed I was unable to get a decent picture of:
-There were just as many red damselflies (American rubyspots I think) as there were blue, but none of them wanted to stop and pose for me.
-3 green herons
-4 hawks
-A larger raptor we couldn't agree on. I think it was an osprey but my wife and father-in-law thought bald eagle. We've seen both on this river before.
-Dozens of vultures
-Something that splashed into the water on one size and left visible ripples as it crossed to the other. Our best guess was a beaver based on the size but none of us actually saw it.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

A lovely outing, a lovely day. :kimchi:

This guy chillin' on our fence. Look at that tiny ruby eye! So handsome!

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Caught this big ole moth above my apartment door. It s almost the size of the palm of my hand.

Any ideas what is called?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

If you want an ID we're going to need a location more specific than "my apartment door".

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Hihohe posted:

Caught this big ole moth above my apartment door. It s almost the size of the palm of my hand.

Any ideas what is called?

Looks like a Banded Sphinx Moth. I thought White-lined at first but that extra band seemed fancier than memory.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This honestly looked a lot more elaborate than what I would expect.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

McGavin posted:

If you want an ID we're going to need a location more specific than "my apartment door".

Sorry, i live in south texas where its hot and humid and i hate it but the critters don't so thats a plus.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

I'm going to say it's a Vine Sphinx, Eumorpha vitis. It lacks the brown bands along the leading edges of the wings that are indicative of a Banded Sphinx.

For reference:

Vine Sphinx

Banded Sphinx

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Scarodactyl posted:

This honestly looked a lot more elaborate than what I would expect.

Ngl looks disgusting, saw the same thing earlier this summer with leopard slugs (Limax maximus) suspended from a tree and their bluish penises out. In my part of Europe at least the leopard slugs are the only species of slugs that mate suspended in the air, all other slugs mate on the ground.

Tangents
Aug 23, 2008

Mantidfly

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Tangents posted:

Mantidfly

Cool, I’ve never seen one of those before

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Just barely missed this one climbing out
https://i.imgur.com/oYD5AxA.mp4

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Spot the two praying mantises!

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Over the last few weeks all of the finches have disappeared from my birdfeeder, as well as most of the cardinals and wrens. Usually therre's a strong population of all of them year round. I've seen a new cat around a couple of times in the morning, is it probably to blame? Not sure if it's a pet or stray.

e: crab neighbor still here though

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 8, 2021

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Went down to the beach, saw a good helping of birds including an osprey

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!
Nice picture of the osprey, it's very cool. I get the impression it's looking miles around.

shiftless
May 18, 2005

A very comfortable Daddy Long Legs

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

lovely picture of a cool bird. Think it's a Steller's Jay.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

This is my spiderfriend. She lives beside my front door.

This spider was hanging out nearby, I assume this one is the wandering kind and just hanging around because of prey drawn in by the porch light.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Spider vision is pretty cool - their eyes work cooperatively, and the different eyes are serving different purposes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/06/science/spider-vision.html

can you not even use incognito windows for this stupid site? i refuse to pay.
and i'm assuming copy/pasting would miss out on videos or something. plz help, i'm dumb

I fed my crows, I had about 8 of them, but they just up and disappeared. I fed them peanuts in the morning on a fairly consistent schedule for more than a few months. And I'd throw some out there when I got home. It's been hot... but I miss my crows.

McGavin posted:

I'm going to say it's a Vine Sphinx, Eumorpha vitis. It lacks the brown bands along the leading edges of the wings that are indicative of a Banded Sphinx.

For reference:

Vine Sphinx

Banded Sphinx

This thing was built for goddamn speed. Like flying through tiny sized canyons and what not.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 9, 2021

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

blight rhino posted:

and i'm assuming copy/pasting would miss out on videos or something. plz help, i'm dumb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61KHdwCekCU

i tried to send it to my mom and she said the same thing, so i have the video still in my messages. alternatively, this works great https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Chard posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61KHdwCekCU

i tried to send it to my mom and she said the same thing, so i have the video still in my messages. alternatively, this works great https://github.com/iamadamdev/bypass-paywalls-chrome

that's awesome, man. I appreciate it.

Also, these folks had a lot of time on their hands. But, still great.

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 9, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

blight rhino posted:

I fed my crows, I had about 8 of them, but they just up and disappeared. I fed them peanuts in the morning on a fairly consistent schedule for more than a few months. And I'd throw some out there when I got home. It's been hot... but I miss my crows.
My crows showed up every day through the spring, and would watch for me to look out the window and swoop over so I would see them and proceed with the ritual every single morning to get a breakfast of dogfood in fresh water. And in mid-june when their kids were flying they just stopped showing up regularly and hung out everyday with the larger group of local crows, which in my case totally ignores me, except right before garbage day when pickings are slim, when Mr. Crow all by himself would come by every other week or so if I looked out for a crow hanging out in a certain tree.

But now it is September, the tourists are leaving, and three days ago my crows started showing up every morning again just like in June. They hang out in one of a handful of spots, looking for me, and when they see me they fly straight over. And by they, I mean Mr. Crow with his gimpy foot and his mate. I'm so lucky that the crow that befriended me has such a distinctive feature or I'd have absolutely no clue, but his left foot is hosed and he walks with a limp on a closed fist, and since his combats with the hawk in June he is still missing a big clumb of tail feathers which makes him really easy to spot. And he's by far the chillest crow in the neighborhood around me. He's metal as gently caress and I'll give him dogfood as long as he wants, especially if he keeps raising his kids in my yard.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 9, 2021

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I've had my first ever birdfeeders up for a couple of months now, and I get the same handful of regular visitors. House sparrows and house finches, cardinals, and mourning doves. It's settled into an easy routine. I got a new visitor today, though.

It only stayed for a moment before flying off into the trees with its catch. Some quick googling has me thinking it's a juvenile Cooper's Hawk but I'd love to know for sure.

e: vvvv lmao

poverty goat posted:

I'd just find a pile of big grey feathers radiating out from a central point, like a meteor had hit a pigeon, once every few weeks.

FBS fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 9, 2021

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

FBS posted:

I've had my first ever birdfeeders up for a couple of months now, and I get the same handful of regular visitors. House sparrows and house finches, cardinals, and mourning doves. It's settled into an easy routine. I got a new visitor today, though.

It only stayed for a moment before flying off into the trees with its catch. Some quick googling has me thinking it's a juvenile Cooper's Hawk but I'd love to know for sure.

Yes, it's a cooper's hawk. Sometimes a birdfeeder dispenses more than just bird seed. For a few years I had one that exclusively hunted the big Eurasian doves, which are an introduced species, so I I mean go hog wild, dude. I'd just find a pile of big grey feathers radiating out from a central point, like a meteor had hit a pigeon, once every few weeks. I never saw evidence of any other bird eaten as a meal.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

FBS posted:

Absolutely divine shot of the tail on this guy/gal :3:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I've got a couple of cool cooper's hawk stories.

A few years ago, for a few years, I had a cooper's hawk around which exclusively hunted these particuarly large eurasian collared doves which are an introduced species. Once in a while I'd find a spot in the yard that looked like a meteor had hit a big pigeon, and never any other bird. So, you know, go hog wild dude. And during the 2017 total eclipse he loving landed next to me on the deck where I photograph the crows and squirrels and hug out for several minutes, watching me warily, until the eclipse was over:

I am starting to realize that I have a weird connection to the nature out here. I should try some druid magic.

Anyway, another cooper's hawk showed up this spring and tried hunting arounnd my birdfeeder and before long Mr. Crow was fighting with him intermittently in the sky all day every single day to keep him well away from the nest. And it was in this time that Mr. Crow lost his foot and his tail feathers and I haven't seen the hawk since.

e: and here's a picture of the short-lived new hawk, spoilered because he has just caught a snack by flushing it into the house

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 9, 2021

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'
It's pretty hard to see, and I'm no critterologist so I may be wrong but I believe I witnessed a Keelback snake showing off its party piece of being one of the few Australian species able to eat the invasive cane toad without killing itself! I couldn't hang around and watch for the entire thing, but when I went back to check again it had a decent sized lump in it, so I think it was successful. Snakes are rad.

https://i.imgur.com/vKm3wZb.mp4

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

tadpole shrimp, from wilcox az

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

1) I love when native species adapt to taking out invasive ones.
2) I both love animals that look like fossils AND find them a little spooky like they forgot they were supposed to evolve into something else.

I don't hate these pigeons exactly, but I wouldn't cry if the Cooper's hawk came back with some friends. There's a bit too many of them but at least they keep the grass clean. Seed doesn't have a chance to rot and if you watch them they seem really methodical about clearing the ground of food. Also, spot the one who maybe had a release dove stop to visit mom on his way home:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Red Queen posted:

1) I love when native species adapt to taking out invasive ones.

Florida needs to teach raccoon class on all the delicious invasive lizards roaming around. As much free protein as your little masked babies can eat!

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

tadpole shrimp, from wilcox az

You can't fool me, that's a babby horseshoe crab

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
Snake (Eastern Milk Snake maybe?)

Hopper (wasn't hopping)

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 11, 2021

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
I have some buzzing friends living on the side of the house! As long as I don't bother them they leave me alone. They're fun to watch

https://i.imgur.com/ST3zUtm.mp4

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

blight rhino posted:

Sorry, I might have landed under the "free articles" limit, or used one of my usual dumb workarounds to get to the article. I browse pretty much exclusively on desktop, and to get around the NYT paywall opening the article in an incognito window, then refreshing the page and stopping it before it fully loads usually works for me.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

El Burbo posted:

Went down to the beach, saw a good helping of birds including an osprey

ospreys are amazing birds. watching them dive on fish will never get old. One cool thing about them compared to most other fishe eating raptors (like bald eagles) is that when osprey catch fish they turn them in their talons to be parallel to their bodies which makes them far more aerodynamic

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

vortmax posted:

I have some buzzing friends living on the side of the house! As long as I don't bother them they leave me alone. They're fun to watch

https://i.imgur.com/ST3zUtm.mp4

I have some on my back porch, they're not nearly so numerous though! The only time I ever saw one seem pissed was when it kept getting tangled in a cobweb and it still didn't generalize that to me.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

My crows showed up every day through the spring, and would watch for me to look out the window and swoop over so I would see them and proceed with the ritual every single morning to get a breakfast of dogfood in fresh water. And in mid-june when their kids were flying they just stopped showing up regularly and hung out everyday with the larger group of local crows, which in my case totally ignores me, except right before garbage day when pickings are slim, when Mr. Crow all by himself would come by every other week or so if I looked out for a crow hanging out in a certain tree.

But now it is September, the tourists are leaving, and three days ago my crows started showing up every morning again just like in June. They hang out in one of a handful of spots, looking for me, and when they see me they fly straight over. And by they, I mean Mr. Crow with his gimpy foot and his mate. I'm so lucky that the crow that befriended me has such a distinctive feature or I'd have absolutely no clue, but his left foot is hosed and he walks with a limp on a closed fist, and since his combats with the hawk in June he is still missing a big clumb of tail feathers which makes him really easy to spot. And he's by far the chillest crow in the neighborhood around me. He's metal as gently caress and I'll give him dogfood as long as he wants, especially if he keeps raising his kids in my yard.

This is great, and awesome and cute all at the same time. Maybe my friends will come back. My time for leaving for work changes drastically now, but we'll see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Sorry, I might have landed under the "free articles" limit, or used one of my usual dumb workarounds to get to the article. I browse pretty much exclusively on desktop, and to get around the NYT paywall opening the article in an incognito window, then refreshing the page and stopping it before it fully loads usually works for me.

I did this and it works great, if you use chrome