Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

MikusR posted:

Yes. As long as you realize that they are not a replacement for a laptop/desktop. They are great unitaskers.

I love my RPi 0w. It’s hooked up to a 50” Sony ands wireless keyboard/trackpad and came with Raspian on its SD card. I mainly am using it as a $20+ “hands on” Linux box. I bought some modern O’Reily books-for -Kindle and I can read/practice from my bed (it’s slow input, but that’s a good thing when one is learning). Just going through it learning to open/update/fix issues is waaay better than simply reading a book, although trying to pull up a website is torture.

Got 16 big “thick (lol e-book)” manuals from Humble Bundle for $20 and while I might not need Linux Device Drivers for a long time, the shell and basic OS books are well planned and laid out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.

MikusR posted:

There are rumours about pi 5?
not as far as I know, besides those blogspam articles that are basically "here are things we think would be cool"
the Pi Foundation even said in July that they aren't currently working on a Pi 5

did however mention that for a 4A they might get rid of USB3 support and switch from 2x micro HDMI to 1x full HDMI: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/raspberry-pi-4-a-possible-features
that's specifically for a cheaper model than the 4B, though, not as a general change

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Hadlock posted:

I bought a $200 purple air unit after doing all the research and weighing "it just works" against "gently caress it, I'll just do it myself". The purple air unit is basically a $5 ESP8266 wired to a $150 air quality sensor, in a clear 3d printed case with a color led

We've had it about three months now and setup and install was painless. It lives near the window by the TV and it's easy to go on their website and look at it from my phone and see how fast the air filter is doing it's job (a lot faster than I expected). It also has a local data feed you can scrape for whatever purpose on your LAN. The color led is nice because if it's yellow I know to crank the filter up to medium or high for a while until it turns green again

I figured this was likely the case

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I figured it was probably at least in the works, the 4 has been out for 2+ years at this point.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I bought a pi3 recently because I didn’t want to deal with microHDMI.

I think they’re fun and I have a headless one running my network controller software now.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm starting to feel like the Pi 4's reputation suffers from the fact that it's close enough to being a "real computer" that people judge it for the fact that it's bad at being one.

I am absolutely not the kind of person who should be making this decision but I feel like the next model of Pi should probably be split apart into one that's capable of doing things like "running an emulator box" and is intended for people who want to build mono-function PC-like devices, and one that isn't, and is for things like operating devices and running a pihole.

Although, the Pi 3 still exists, so having a simple version is kind of unnecessary. I kind of feel like the Pi benefits from having a lot of people constantly working to wring as much effectiveness out of its hardware as possible, and that effort gets diluted the more different versions of the hardware exist.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Anyone run a Pi as a thin client for a VM via VNC or rdp?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm starting to feel like the Pi 4's reputation suffers from the fact that it's close enough to being a "real computer" that people judge it for the fact that it's bad at being one.

Probably? The pricing also affects this - as you're getting into low-end used (u)SFF territory when you look at the 8GB Pi4. It also suffers from being recommended for tasks that it might not be wholly suited for, like octoprint and some home automation stuff.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

priznat posted:

Anyone run a Pi as a thin client for a VM via VNC or rdp?

I did a ways back, on a pi 2 (using vnc). It was pretty bad at 1080p, the framerate made doing a day of work on it headache material.

It's probably better now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rand Brittain posted:

Absolutely. Plus most of what people do with a "real computer" these days is on the internet, in a web browser. Web browsers suck and the internet sucks. Browsers take up multiple GB of memory and have to sandbox everything, every webpage is 20 MB of javascript and social media buttons, and anything you click tries to load an autoplay video. Lots of cool nerds have done optimization work to make neat projects run well on a Pi. Nobody's optimizing the internet for anything but more poo poo (except the ublock guy, our lone hero).

It's like, that Pi 400 thing is probably pretty decent as a micro-desktop if you used it for word processing and email (with an actual email client). Or a zero-distraction place to write code or whatever. But there are very few people who want that.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

ante posted:

Does anyone actually... Like Raspberry Pis?

This might be the wrong thread to ask in, but just kinda been disappointed in them for years, continually going back and trying again to see if I'm still disappointed

Unabashedly yes. If nothing else they are an amazing learning tool that I would have personally gone ballistic for as a kid. Now compare a full kit for that to somebody's Lego hobby in price. Not that people shouldn't have both if they can.

It also is popular so it generates interest in the field which is good I think.

The first one I had I was running a couple of IRC bots off of and stuff like that and it was really perfect for it.

I think it's good to have a field of affordable low-power consumption devices that probably don't generate that much material waste or carbon footprint compared to other solutions.

Just like most computing devices I suppose there's going to be degrees of tasks that they are suited for and not.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I used a Pi4 4gb as an ersatz desktop for a few months during 2020, first running Manjaro (which would crash once every day) and then Ubuntu (which never crashed but occasionally flubbed an update here or there)

It was a decent enough posting+YouTube (except for the videos that wouldn’t work on any browser)+general web browsing (until you have 30 tabs open like I always do) rig but that’s about it.

Also I have an ICEtower on it so it was getting the El Guapo cooling treatment for a RPi. I can’t imagine how bad the throttling or crashing would’ve been without active cooling. Probably unusable with more than like 10 tabs open

I’m sure I’d have had a much better time with 8gb, but even still I can’t imagine it doing the work of any USFF machine going back like a decade unless you literally only visit like a handful of pages and check your email and that’s it.

Also the audio would crap out a lot and require a reboot, but somebody who *gets* Linux could probably fix it.

But it was a lot of fun to do and it let me get my RGB jollies in without tarting up a “real” desktop and I recommend it as a neat challenge/project. But I can’t really recommend one as a “computer for Grandma” when there are $100-200 Optiplexes to be had on eBay. As a diversion for you or for a techie teen, definitely an awesome thing to tinker with.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ok Comboomer posted:

Also the audio would crap out a lot and require a reboot, but somebody who *gets* Linux could probably fix it.

People who get Linux don't fix audio problems.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Raspberry Pi is unbelievably good for everything except as a daily driver

I remember getting 1/10 frame per second openCV facial recognition working on my Raspberry Pi A+ a million years ago, building my own pirated PS3 controller bluetooth drivers with make and cutting my teeth on a device that if I really hosed things up, was just 3-4 minutes away from reloading the OS from scratch and fijibity wippity new linux computer without days or weeks of accumulated fuckups compounding on top of eachother. Eventually built a semi autonomous wheeled robot with one

Used a raspberry pi to learn about servo control, and an overpowered arduino, especially back in the day when you couldn't get ardunio-class wifi devices for under $150. ESP8266 was a real game changer. Raspberry Pi didn't get wifi until version 3, but you could easily add it with a usb dongle for $25

The other really nice thing about the raspberry pi poo poo, is that things actually work. Currently setting up a raspberry pi k3s (kubernetes mini) cluster, 3 x pi 4-s and I found an old asus tinkerboard S which has a beefy quad core cpu and 2gb memory. I cannot get this drat thing to talk to my wifi network, and i don't want to gently caress around playing cable snake in 2021 so I'm about to throw it away because most of the software is janky as gently caress and super outdated

edit: how old you say? just did an apt update/apt upgrade on that tinkerboard s and saw python 2.7 scroll by, using the latest build available (that would boot, which was summer 2020)

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Sep 5, 2021

ArcticZombie
Sep 15, 2010

ante posted:

Does anyone actually... Like Raspberry Pis?

This might be the wrong thread to ask in, but just kinda been disappointed in them for years, continually going back and trying again to see if I'm still disappointed

I have a couple Zero Ws and a 3A with amplifier boards that I use to turn dumb passive speakers into a multi-room AirPlay setup, and a 4B as a mini NAS + a few services such as a media server and DNS-based ad-blocking. Installing a desktop OS on them is a mistake.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've been using a Pi3 as a Pi-Hole/DNS/DHCP server for ages, it's great.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Rand Brittain posted:

It has more hdmi ports then many "real computers". If it isn't intended as one, that makes no sense.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

"number of hdmi ports" is not the most useful metric for "is a computer"

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

endlessmonotony posted:

People who get Linux don't fix audio problems.

Sure we do, ‘bell-style none’ :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Imaging the sandwich alignment chart but its for computers and how a Smart TV with 3 HDMI ports and Android counts as a Chromebook :v:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

I am not saying it is a computer, I am saying that by putting in the second port they are declaring that it should be a computer. Disapointing everybody who either doesn't need the port or needs the port to show video or something else that the pi sucks at.
But, just tell me: I have always wanted to know what the intended use case for the second hdmi port is if it isn't for use as a "real computer".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

The only reason I've ever seen given for the double HDMI is for connecting to 2 monitors, use as a desktop is pretty much the only reason it has those. It doesn't make sense I know since even the most obvious "this is meant to be a desktop" model in the RP400 doesn't have enough RAM for anything but light multitasking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe they had plans for it to be used for what the NUC is real good at: driving static images to a pair of TV's, such as modern restaurant menus.

That's the best theory I got anyways.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

VictualSquid posted:

I am not saying it is a computer, I am saying that by putting in the second port they are declaring that it should be a computer. Disapointing everybody who either doesn't need the port or needs the port to show video or something else that the pi sucks at.
But, just tell me: I have always wanted to know what the intended use case for the second hdmi port is if it isn't for use as a "real computer".

Because Pis are good for cheap digital signage or video display projects. Which the Pi 4 is absolutely fine at doing, it doesn't suck at video. It sucks at playing youtube through a web broswer. The 2 hdmis are totally about utility as a project device, not a general PC. Making them micro-hdmi made them harder to use for non-maker types.

The number of people using desktop multi-displays is a minority all around, and especially so for low end home use. If they wanted to make a pi that was supposed to be a consumer computer, they'd ditch the GPIO and add a connector for storage that isn't SD or USB.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Does feel like the 400 is a definite step towards them doing a Pi that is a proper PC replacement though, like maybe a future "500" model will make an even bigger jump in that direction, there does appear to be more than enough room in that keyboard to do so without needing to make any major redesigns to the case beyond the holes for ports

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Honestly this would be a much better thread title than the current one

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

drrockso20 posted:

Does feel like the 400 is a definite step towards them doing a Pi that is a proper PC replacement though, like maybe a future "500" model will make an even bigger jump in that direction, there does appear to be more than enough room in that keyboard to do so without needing to make any major redesigns to the case beyond the holes for ports

They could call it the A500 :)

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If they made a “Pi480” with 8gb it would probably go a long way toward being that ideal “toy” keyboard PC.

I understand the need to come in at the price point that they did, but the Pi400 is really hobbled with 4gb as a desktop.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

KozmoNaut posted:

They could call it the A500 :)

That's already coming back!

https://www.pcmag.com/news/amiga-500-returns-next-year-as-mini-game-console-for-139

:haw:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

njsykora posted:

The micro HDMI is by far the worst thing about the Pi 4 and I have never seen anyone actually connect it to multiple monitors.
I've hooked mine to multiple monitors twice. Once to see that it worked and once to see if I could get two copies of Kodi running off the same Pi for a car headrest install (might have been workable but wasn't worth the effort).

That said, IMO the way they chose to implement multiple monitors was the worst of all possible options.

If I were in charge I'd have gone with a standard HDMI port for monitor 1 and then had monitor 2 supported through the USB-C port with a dongle. That offers the most compatibility with existing installations while supporting all the same capabilities.

If we throw out compatibility with existing installs, I'd swap the HDMI port for DP and then use MST for multiple monitor support.

Or if we're still OK with most users needing dongles let's at least make them dongles that normal people have and give it two USB-C ports.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

wolrah posted:

If I were in charge I'd have gone with a standard HDMI port for monitor 1 and then had monitor 2 supported through the USB-C port with a dongle. That offers the most compatibility with existing installations while supporting all the same capabilities.

I think that c port on pi4 is only usb2. The boards are built around the Set Top Box SOC Broadcom gives them.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 8, 2021

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MikusR posted:

I think that c port on pi4 is only usb2. The boards are built around the Set Top Box SOC Broadcom gives them.

The usb c port is power only. It has the two usb 3.0 ports though, and I believe the spec permits being usb-c ports to but they decided not to. Maybe a cost thing. :iiam:

It would be epic if we get a pi in the future that's all usb-c, just a few of those new connectors that all do video, power and peripherals. Usb-a ports are too big and clunky.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

xzzy posted:

The usb c port is power only. It has the two usb 3.0 ports though,

The c port is usb2 (otg or ordinary) connected to the soc. The two usb3 ports are connected through pcie and have their own controller.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

xzzy posted:

Maybe they had plans for it to be used for what the NUC is real good at: driving static images to a pair of TV's, such as modern restaurant menus.

That's the best theory I got anyways.

I worked IT in a venue for a while and all digital signage was controlled centrally on a server running IPTV software with STBs on each TV, some of the later TVs having the software on the STB built in. large LED signs had their own software/controllers. You could in theory run this software on the Rpi and then connect it to this system, although costwise it wasnt much difference as the cost in the STBs was mostly the license.

maybe small sites with one or two displays? but when you have different zones/schedules and multiple displays it becomes a real pain in the rear end, especially when you notice all the TVs are either up high/built into cabinetry where its hard to access the inputs.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

MikusR posted:

HDMI Alternate Mode would usually be implemented through a mux, so the SoC just needs the two HDMI outputs it already has.

Also AFAIK the Pi 4 SoC is specifically built for the Pi instead of being a leftover STB SoC like previous models.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

To answer the question of 'whats the point of a pi' I use my rpi4 as a hifi with a DAC hat in it, running volumio. its good for that

Im using a Zero as a pihole which is powered off the Rpi4

I'll probably get another zero with wireless and the GPIO headers so I can add a SHIM DAC to that, tuck it inside a Speaker and make a wireless speaker/Volumio for my bedroom.

They are cheap computers to make into fun little projects.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

It bears mentioning that a Pi is often readily replaced by a virtual machine assuming you have the infrastructure handy and the gumption to do so. That said for stuff like the HiFi interface and other “I need a small computer physically right here” means it can’t be beat.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Warbird posted:

It bears mentioning that a Pi is often readily replaced by a virtual machine assuming you have the infrastructure handy and the gumption to do so. That said for stuff like the HiFi interface and other “I need a small computer physically right here” means it can’t be beat.

Yeah this is what I’ve ended up doing. Home server stuff that outgrew the RPi 3, and the 4 is close enough in price to an old 8th gen intel optiplex or something that it didn’t make sense to upgrade. In the meantime I just use a VM on my windows PC and some docker containers on a Synology.

I do want to get an old speaker and turn it into an airplay/wifi speaker, though. I’m thinking of how to make it mobile though. How do you handle power delivery with that?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Battery hat, though you may be better off trying to score one of those google puck dohickies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

My Pi3B is getting a lot of use running moode as a music player and audio sink, as well as various software defined radio projects that don't do well under virtualization.