Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Did people think I was joking when I said the ruling class are Marxists?

in that context is the same thing

the ultimate philosophical goal of Marxism, at least in the sense of dealing with each individual, is to turn ourselves into historical subjects(people capable of making History) rather than being historical objects (bystanders to History). I get your gist, but that is an important distinction to emphasize

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Isn’t that unnamed senior advisor Karl Rove?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

dead gay comedy forums posted:

in that context is the same thing

the ultimate philosophical goal of Marxism, at least in the sense of dealing with each individual, is to turn ourselves into historical subjects(people capable of making History) rather than being historical objects (bystanders to History). I get your gist, but that is an important distinction to emphasize

True, yes, thank you. Well I phrased it the way I did because of the ongoing subjection of the global working class, but you're right.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Trabisnikof posted:

Isn’t that unnamed senior advisor Karl Rove?

Yep lol

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Did people think I was joking when I said the ruling class are Marxists?

Crucially, as part of this same game, the aide neglected to mention that Ron is also an actor in history. This little detail is left out because it's best for them if you consider yourself, instead, a historical subject. Do not be confused.

Yea. I loved Ron's response to mumble something about empiricism. very telling.

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Reality's forceful merger of the Reactionary Movements & Epstein threads continues
https://twitter.com/brooklynmarie/status/1435658058412146691

Edit: Here comes the France thread dragging in the Eurasia thread by it's ear and hold on- BY GOD THAT'S THE MIDDLE EAST THREAD'S MUSIC!!!
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1435250251523317761

staticman has issued a correction as of 19:51 on Sep 8, 2021

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
The Earth is Flat[tened by an Immense Clandestine Cartel Who Mostly Uses Its Infinite Power to gently caress Children]

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

[Epstein]The Earth is Flat[tened by an Immense Clandestine Cartel Who Mostly Uses Its Infinite Power to gently caress Children]

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Danger posted:

Yea. I loved Ron's response to mumble something about empiricism. very telling.

yeah libs absolutely interperted that line as a declaration of like antiscientific fundamentalism and proudly proclaimed themselves "in the reality based community" not realizing the actual meaning of what Rove was saying because it would involve questioning their fundamental world view

animist
Aug 28, 2018
my hot take is that the modern distinction between "science" and "magic" draws a lot from settler Christianity. Throughout history most societies haven't had fully distinct notions of "religion", "science", and "government", they blur together. If I tell you "lightning comes from Zeus and he hates tall stuff", might not be literally "true", but it contains digestible information in a memorable way. It's handy for rulers to have religious mandates, it's just generally useful for people to have a shared conceptual frameworks. Religion is a tool for maintaining social networks.

When settlers showed up in places, they needed to disrupt those networks, and one of the best tools for doing so is Christianity. Settler Christianity is a psyop, its main technique is going "everything you believe is heathen nonsense, you're just worshipping painted chips of wood, here come check out the Real God." You say that enough times, and also give out free food to anybody who shows up, then bam, you've got a nice little insurgent force ready to go against the local government. (I read Things Fall Apart recently, thinking of that here.)

nowadays the Christianity in our society is a little subtler, but modern science has held onto the notion of anything that it didn't invent being "heathen nonsense." So they hook some electrodes up to a yogi or a buddhist monk and go "wow! Look at these new brain patterns we've just discovered!"

like no you dipships some monk discovered those in a cave three thousand years ago.

so idt science is incompatible with "magic" if you recontextualize "magic" as "poo poo non-europeans discovered." especially in the context of stuff modern science is bad at, like, say, psychology or economics.

that being said you can't get free energy by vibing your chakras super hard or whatever. thermodynamics is hard to beat. but aside from that

nut
Jul 30, 2019

haha totally, so about this Real God you mentioned…

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

animist posted:

my hot take is that the modern distinction between "science" and "magic" draws a lot from settler Christianity. Throughout history most societies haven't had fully distinct notions of "religion", "science", and "government", they blur together. If I tell you "lightning comes from Zeus and he hates tall stuff", might not be literally "true", but it contains digestible information in a memorable way. It's handy for rulers to have religious mandates, it's just generally useful for people to have a shared conceptual frameworks. Religion is a tool for maintaining social networks.

When settlers showed up in places, they needed to disrupt those networks, and one of the best tools for doing so is Christianity. Settler Christianity is a psyop, its main technique is going "everything you believe is heathen nonsense, you're just worshipping painted chips of wood, here come check out the Real God." You say that enough times, and also give out free food to anybody who shows up, then bam, you've got a nice little insurgent force ready to go against the local government. (I read Things Fall Apart recently, thinking of that here.)

nowadays the Christianity in our society is a little subtler, but modern science has held onto the notion of anything that it didn't invent being "heathen nonsense." So they hook some electrodes up to a yogi or a buddhist monk and go "wow! Look at these new brain patterns we've just discovered!"

like no you dipships some monk discovered those in a cave three thousand years ago.

so idt science is incompatible with "magic" if you recontextualize "magic" as "poo poo non-europeans discovered." especially in the context of stuff modern science is bad at, like, say, psychology or economics.

that being said you can't get free energy by vibing your chakras super hard or whatever. thermodynamics is hard to beat. but aside from that

according to kwame ture, citing darwin's final book, monotheism originated in africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN8oq7lF9FA

I think it's important to listen to non-white revolutionaries, lest one chases the ouroboros of bourgeois ideology past the event horizon of the end of history, straight into the singularity of capitalist realism

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

staticman posted:

Reality's forceful merger of the Reactionary Movements & Epstein threads continues
https://twitter.com/brooklynmarie/status/1435658058412146691
I smell astroturf and if I had to guess, Arena is behind it.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

animist posted:

I mean wasn’t this conflict resolved by Marx via Hegel? Like it’s the reason for the rejection of empiricism without being reduced to vulgar idealism.

animist
Aug 28, 2018

Centrist Committee posted:

according to kwame ture, citing darwin's final book, monotheism originated in africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bN8oq7lF9FA

I think it's important to listen to non-white revolutionaries, lest one chases the ouroboros of bourgeois ideology past the event horizon of the end of history, straight into the singularity of capitalist realism

no that's my point. like the Ibo in Things Fall Apart have a notion of God, they just regarded their spirits as his messengers. The christian settlers fail to understand this and see any worship of God that doesn't match their template as nonsense, a lot like modern science rejects any system of knowledge that doesn't precisely align with its preferred formatting requirements and ideology. like, say, Marxism.

refusal to see through differences in presentation to grasp underlying compatibility, is what I'm trying to say.

animist has issued a correction as of 04:04 on Sep 9, 2021

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Danger posted:

I mean wasn’t this conflict resolved by Marx via Hegel? Like it’s the reason for the rejection of empiricism without being reduced to vulgar idealism.
I'm not sure if I would say "resolved," but I would just be writing a bunch of paragraphs that boil down to nitpicking semantics. Dialectical materialism is a scientific theory that can be applied to history, material conditions, etc. to understand the underlying basis just like more easy quantifiable theories like, say, gravity, can be applied to watching something fall and determining where it will end up hitting the ground.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

nut posted:

haha totally, so about this Real God you mentioned…

new meme the Christian Groomer: haha your gods are so Christ-like ...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/StevenBeynon/status/1435590133458296834

nut
Jul 30, 2019

genuinely thought he was about to announce a blues clues for ~adulting~

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Woah Texas schools are giving out free gender fluids?!

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Asproigerosis posted:

Woah Texas schools are giving out free gender fluids?!

I decline your offer of gender fluid, please dispose of it properly.

I thought Steve got done for simple possession? Or was that another children's television host?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Good God drat this depressed me. All you did was assist in confirming that the enemies of all that is good at least think in the way I'm trying to describe and mere confirmation is depressing, because i still take solace in mental illness as an explanation for the weird fringes of my perception. Oh well back to this 10 hour shift i guess.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Tubgoat posted:

I thought Steve got done for simple possession? Or was that another children's television host?

That was the rumour but not actually true. He was going bald and figured he would look too old to be a children's TV host

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

GWBBQ posted:

I'm not sure if I would say "resolved," but I would just be writing a bunch of paragraphs that boil down to nitpicking semantics. Dialectical materialism is a scientific theory that can be applied to history, material conditions, etc. to understand the underlying basis just like more easy quantifiable theories like, say, gravity, can be applied to watching something fall and determining where it will end up hitting the ground.

:colbert:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

thread, please don't loving convince yourself of the efficacy of magic rituals and poo poo. jesus christ. you're supposed to be leftists. focus on material conditions, not the frothiness of the semen some rear end in a top hat bonesman ejaculates into a coffin

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

that's not to say that no super rich person does weird-rear end occult poo poo, by the way. just, you know, don't loving assume that it must work because the practitioners are rich and powerful, what the gently caress lmao

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

World War Mammories posted:

thread, please don't loving convince yourself of the efficacy of magic rituals and poo poo. jesus christ. you're supposed to be leftists. focus on material conditions, not the frothiness of the semen some rear end in a top hat bonesman ejaculates into a coffin

I don’t understand why you’re so offended. it’s just another realm of understanding that people should be able to look at.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Higher resolution of bottom right shelf:

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

why is the coffee table so surprised

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Excelzior posted:

why is the coffee table so surprised

Good question. It shouldn't come as any surprise that white supremacy is on top. Ignorant table.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Good question. It shouldn't come as any surprise that white supremacy is on top. Ignorant table.

Lol! now you explained the Thing

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Widen your horizons dude

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

The_Rob posted:

I don’t understand why you’re so offended. it’s just another realm of understanding that people should be able to look at.

things do not, for example, "reverberate backward through time" in any meaningful sense, op. thinking about fiction is fine, thinking about the weird poo poo people do that has no bearing on material reality is fine, thinking about how that affects their perceptions and therefore their actions and therefore material conditions is fine. good, even! but thinking that there's an entire universe, unknown to all but an elite few, of crap like blood sacrifices measurably affecting empirical results - that's no better than joel osteen preaching prosperity gospel. and moreover it rejects material conditions, ie. the concept that actually describes empirical reality because those conditions are empirical reality. this woo poo poo is like looking at how a puddle perfectly fits into its hole and concluding that the falling rain reverberated backwards through time to create the perfect container for itself.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

shut up

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

things do not, for example, "reverberate backward through time" in any meaningful sense, op. thinking about fiction is fine, thinking about the weird poo poo people do that has no bearing on material reality is fine, thinking about how that affects their perceptions and therefore their actions and therefore material conditions is fine. good, even! but thinking that there's an entire universe, unknown to all but an elite few, of crap like blood sacrifices measurably affecting empirical results - that's no better than joel osteen preaching prosperity gospel. and moreover it rejects material conditions, ie. the concept that actually describes empirical reality because those conditions are empirical reality. this woo poo poo is like looking at how a puddle perfectly fits into its hole and concluding that the falling rain reverberated backwards through time to create the perfect container for itself.

the past only exists in people's heads

things do "reverberate backward through time" in a meaningful sense

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

the past only exists in people's heads

drat those dudes pretending the holocaust never happened are doin gods work then

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

Anime Bernie Bro posted:

drat those dudes pretending the holocaust never happened are doin gods work then

exactly

holocausts can easily be forgotten, erased from history

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

wish I could erase this derail from history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Bernie Bro
Feb 4, 2020

FUCK MY ASSHOLE, LOL

Excelzior posted:

wish I could erase this derail from history