Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Boba Pearl posted:

So I've always wanted to get into bullet hells, but never did because it seems like it was impossible to figure out where you were getting shot from, or how the gently caress you were supposed to dodge things.

Then about 3 or 4 months ago I find out I was colorblind, and wondered if that might be the issue.

Are there any bullet hells that have a colorblind mode, or high-contrast mode that makes sure the bullets don't blend in with the background?
I think the bullet hells in Undertale are black-and-white, aren't they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I think there's some color, but it's all set against a black and white background and there's never a case where you need to distinguish between two colors to survive anything.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think the bullet hells in Undertale are black-and-white, aren't they?

There are some parts where color is important, but I seem to vaguely recall it might have a colorblind mode

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

ZeroRanger is the greatest shmup and greatest game of all time and has 7 different color schemes to choose from. I recommend it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Another voice for PGA 2k21, that game is great, it's really a sequel to The Golf Club 2 which was also a very solid game. Once you get the hang of it with all the visuals you can start cutting out assists so that you're shooting more blindly and make it harder. Really fun game, although it's mostly just golfing, don't expect a bunch of game modes or some super involved campaign.

Neon Abyss was okay and Narita Boy looks amazing but I still haven't managed to get very far in it, the signposting can be lacking since i got lost and couldn't figure out where I had to go.

repiv posted:

also yeah the 360 dpad was garbage lol

It's actually really good. Best thing about it is how tough it is, it doesn't break and it takes forever to even get a little drift. The fact that it comes with a non-bluetooth dongle is also a huge plus since it is way stronger and more reliable than bluetooth.

With my new Series gamepad that connects through bluetooth it works well for the most part, but if I lean back and cross my legs so they get between the pad and my PC (I play on a couch with my PC next to the bigscreen TV) it tends to lose connection way too easily and be frustrating. 360 in comparison first of all is a drat tank, super tough, and second of all connects better. I wish they still sold them new, seems like they've stopped making them unfortunately and even used ones can be expensive.

Anyone have any suggestions for a third party controller that has the XBOX style of stick layout with the DPAD below the left hand stick? I'm too used to it, I can't use a dual shock now my hands are too big and the stick position feels really uncomfortable. But if there are any xbox style third party gamepads that are good I'd be super interested in those.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

all of my 360 pads died which marks the first and only console ive owned to do that so far. i had all 4 pads develop stick drift

famously small controllers ds4 and dualsense lol just get the dongle for the xbox pad if the bluetooth connection is dropping. the adapter uses wifi direct or whatever it is they use justlike the 360 pads did.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I had a 360 pad die but I used it for like 8 years and it didn’t die as much as the rubber for the thumb stick started falling apart.

My joycons for my switch lasted like two weeks before getting minor problems with the sticks and were unusable within like six months.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

yeah im asuming my switch will join the list lol

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The game isn’t out yet but drat Dice Legacy looks like a lot of fun!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1229460/Dice_Legacy/

quote:

In this roguelike survival city builder, you lead your realm by rolling the dice - literally, because the dice rolls determining your fate aren't happening in the background but are one of the main gameplay elements of Dice Legacy. Discover uncharted lands and guide your loyal subjects.

Put your faith in the dice as you gather resources, construct buildings and expand the borders of your realm. Create a strategy that fits your playstyle as you explore the wilderness. Test your luck as you make contact with the enigmatic factions populating the ringworld. But beware: something wicked is lurking in the mists beyond your realm, waiting for its chance to strike.

FEATURES
Your dice represent the subjects of your realm. Keep them happy and healthy by providing food, ale and medicinal herbs - otherwise they might starve, get sick, be injured in combat or even freeze to death in the unforgiving cold of the winter blizzard.

Adapt your playstyle to the procedurally generated ringworld that is waiting for you to explore it. Chart the wilderness, gather ressources and construct new buildings to establish your rule. Recruit new subjects and research new technologies as you build your strategy to survive the winter.
Your population starts out as humble peasants, but as you roll your way to a clever strategy, they advance and become citizens, soldiers, priests or merchants. Work with the Council and pass new Policies to keep the various dice classes happy and potentially change the course of the game.

Create mighty Constructs by forging dice together and empower faces to unlock unique dice abilities. Create the ultimate dice to ensure your triumph through various playthroughs.

Roll. Die. Repeat. Unlock all 6 rulers and find out which fits your playstyle best. Face different starting conditions and get the hang of varied wager abilities. Every playthrough of Dice Legacy is unique and presents you with the chance to discover the secret that is hidden in the mists of the ringworld.
Discover mysterious civilizations and reveal the secrets of the ring. Defend your settlement against The Others. Find out who they are, how they got to this uncharted land and what lurks in the mists beyond their city.

This is a pretty decent early review of the game

https://youtu.be/z_OapmO-GOA

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

MarcusSA posted:

The game isn’t out yet but drat Dice Legacy looks like a lot of fun!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1229460/Dice_Legacy/

This is a pretty decent early review of the game

https://youtu.be/z_OapmO-GOA

Looks great but taking the RNG out of the background and making it all foreground is a great way to get frothing angry :xcom: response. One of the open secrets for video games based on RNG is that it's not actually random its generally weighted to benefit the player and "70%" actually means like 85% in practice to keep people happy.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Humans are notoriously bad at understanding true randomness and will make up weird narratives like they're "due" for a big payout on the next pull because they failed the last 20 times in a row. This is why the house always wins and you think failing to hit a dude with 90% accuracy three times in a row should never happen. In an open system with many inputs, uncommon events happen all the time. In fact, they will happen an infinite number of times. I feel like my teenage years playing Diablo 2 and Phantasy Star Online conditioned me to embrace the inherent unfairness of the universe in a way that many people never properly develop.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This pile of rocks needs 30 more points in lockpicking than what I have.
Damned tech rocks.

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

bees x1000 posted:

ZeroRanger is the greatest shmup and greatest game of all time and has 7 different color schemes to choose from. I recommend it.

I haven't played many shmups but listen to this person. They're right. Even if you think you're not good at shmups, the game ramps up in forgiveness as you go on.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

exquisite tea posted:

Humans are notoriously bad at understanding true randomness and will make up weird narratives like they're "due" for a big payout on the next pull because they failed the last 20 times in a row. This is why the house always wins and you think failing to hit a dude with 90% accuracy three times in a row should never happen. In an open system with many inputs, uncommon events happen all the time. In fact, they will happen an infinite number of times. I feel like my teenage years playing Diablo 2 and Phantasy Star Online conditioned me to embrace the inherent unfairness of the universe in a way that many people never properly develop.
If Diablo 2 was required education the last 18 months would have been a lot easier.

It's easier to make good games with clamps and assists in your RNG since random stuff is often bullshit but I love a good occasional tyranny of the dice game done well where the systems bolster you enough that 10x failures aren't the end of the world.

Always hate when something really awful happens, I look up the mechanics, put it on a Poisson distribution, and see someone should have known this was going to happen to 1/3 people playing the game.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Speaking of Humble Choice actually being good, I finished Paradise Killer from a couple of bundles ago and thought it was fantastic. It's a ...VN with exploration...game in which you play detective investigation freak Lady Love Dies. As her, you are liberated from a 3 million-day exile to solve a mass murder, investigating immortals and demons, searching for clues or just artifacts that drip-feed really creative lore. It oozes a sort of surreal style that mixes a night club with a lot of mythology and blood-letting. It's really upbeat, but also pretty bleak. I got really strong vibes of "Invisibles" or "The Filth" Grant Morrison. Don't skip this one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Trickyblackjack posted:

Speaking of Humble Choice actually being good, I finished Paradise Killer from a couple of bundles ago and thought it was fantastic. It's a ...VN with exploration...game in which you play detective investigation freak Lady Love Dies. As her, you are liberated from a 3 million-day exile to solve a mass murder, investigating immortals and demons, searching for clues or just artifacts that drip-feed really creative lore. It oozes a sort of surreal style that mixes a night club with a lot of mythology and blood-letting. It's really upbeat, but also pretty bleak. I got really strong vibes of "Invisibles" or "The Filth" Grant Morrison. Don't skip this one.

Oh, I think I'm going to push this to the top of the backlog. It looked interesting, but you definitively sold me on it more.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

ymgve posted:

There are some parts where color is important, but I seem to vaguely recall it might have a colorblind mode
I recall Toby made an update that change all the color bullet in battle to be colorblind friendly.

Edit: His note on twitter

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I put about 3 hours into Forager last night and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I kinda like it but there are things I kinda dislike about it.

First off the fact that each new area you unlock isn’t actually connected to each other kinda drives me nuts.

Second the fact that you can and in my case actually often do end up hitting and damaging your stuff bugs me too.

I dunno I don’t hate it but I’m not sure if it’s quite hitting the right notes for me.

I also played about an hour into Monster Harvest and while it’s a neat take on the Star Dew Valley idea for some reason the controller support is half baked and just seems off for some reason. I’m gonna give it some time before I get back into it and see if they resolve it. It does have potential though.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

MarcusSA posted:

I put about 3 hours into Forager last night and I’m not sure how I feel about it. I kinda like it but there are things I kinda dislike about it.

First off the fact that each new area you unlock isn’t actually connected to each other kinda drives me nuts.

Second the fact that you can and in my case actually often do end up hitting and damaging your stuff bugs me too.

I dunno I don’t hate it but I’m not sure if it’s quite hitting the right notes for me.

You eventually get the ability to fill in those missing squares with landfill, I ended up paving over all the water tiles on the map last time I played because I was out of stuff to do. Hitting your own stuff IS definitely annoying, but eventually you get items that really simplify gathering to the point where you are really never swinging your pickaxe around your base anymore. Honestly I really liked Forager, it's definitely not for everyone but the gradual ramp-up of abilities and automation throughout the game is pretty satisfying. I bought it on Android after the latest update and played through most of it on the phone with touch controls and it actually translated pretty well there, too. Combat was hard but for the most part it was totally playable.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Foliage in every game looks poky/rough/crystalline/whatever. Just like when you apply sharpening to a photograph. Anti-aliasing and all graphics settings are always at highest settings. Why? Is it possible that my PC is applying sharpening to everything the monitor displays?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

explosivo posted:

You eventually get the ability to fill in those missing squares with landfill, I ended up paving over all the water tiles on the map last time I played because I was out of stuff to do. Hitting your own stuff IS definitely annoying, but eventually you get items that really simplify gathering to the point where you are really never swinging your pickaxe around your base anymore. Honestly I really liked Forager, it's definitely not for everyone but the gradual ramp-up of abilities and automation throughout the game is pretty satisfying. I bought it on Android after the latest update and played through most of it on the phone with touch controls and it actually translated pretty well there, too. Combat was hard but for the most part it was totally playable.

Oh that’s good to know! I think I’m gonna stick with it a bit more then.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mescal posted:

Foliage in every game looks poky/rough/crystalline/whatever. Just like when you apply sharpening to a photograph. Anti-aliasing and all graphics settings are always at highest settings. Why? Is it possible that my PC is applying sharpening to everything the monitor displays?

You may have a gfx card software suite that's applying its own settings, overruling in-application stuff.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mescal posted:

Depending on the anti-aliasing settings, many of the more modern implementations have really bad sharpening, blurring or other issues that are super noticable depending on the game. SMAA, TXAA in particular are really bad.

If it's not that then it's probably your nvidia/amd control panel.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Mescal posted:

It's normal. I too noticed that at some point, many years ago. I tried a lot of things and found that TAA is really the only anti-aliasing that does anything to those particular jaggies. With any luck you'll stop noticing at some point and if not then I hope you enjoy your cursed existence.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

Nyaa posted:

I recall Toby made an update that change all the color bullet in battle to be colorblind friendly.

Edit: His note on twitter

There's more then one type of colorblind, I have blue yellow, so telling the difference between blue and green is hard that said I liked undertake which is why I wanted more but I guess that's just not an option with bullet hell games.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Makai Kingdom and ZHP on the PC? Holy poo poo! :dogstare:
https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1435594626950438913

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Holy poo poo! I love Makai Kingdom!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Boba Pearl posted:

There's more then one type of colorblind, I have blue yellow, so telling the difference between blue and green is hard that said I liked undertake which is why I wanted more but I guess that's just not an option with bullet hell games.
Ikaruga is blue/red bullet hell, but it can also have very busy backgrounds.

Amorphous Abode
Apr 2, 2010

We may have finally found unobtainium but I will never find eywa.

Boba Pearl posted:

The Void Rains Upon Her Heart has an option to turn off the backgrounds entirely, and you might not even find that you need to use this setting all the time as the projectiles are all big and chunky, and the game's roguelike elements mean that any given boss is not tied to one particular level background. It's also quite a good game for bullet hell novices as there is a scaling risk/reward difficulty system built into the game's core mechanics. I love it.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Det_no posted:

It's normal. I too noticed that at some point, many years ago. I tried a lot of things and found that TAA is really the only anti-aliasing that does anything to those particular jaggies. With any luck you'll stop noticing at some point and if not then I hope you enjoy your cursed existence.

It's normal? And all these gamers who obsess over graphics and spend money on it don't notice and don't complain? Could I steal their monitors, swap them for a 30fps 1800px one and they wouldn't notice either? What moronic demon decided that you should put a sharpening program inside an anti-aliasing program? Did they have two isolated programmers design them separately, then a third blind person put them together? "This one makes the graphics look better, and so does the other one! Put em together for efficiency." What do they think sharpening and anti-aliasing ARE?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mescal posted:

It's normal? And all these gamers who obsess over graphics and spend money on it don't notice and don't complain? Could I steal their monitors, swap them for a 30fps 1800px one and they wouldn't notice either? What moronic demon decided that you should put a sharpening program inside an anti-aliasing program? Did they have two isolated programmers design them separately, then a third blind person put them together? "This one makes the graphics look better, and so does the other one! Put em together for efficiency." What do they think sharpening and anti-aliasing ARE?

Have you seen the average ReShade preset that people make and advertise as "Ultra Photorealistic Skyrim ReShade!" and it looks like someone slopped high contrast paint everywhere and then fired a flare directly into your cornea?

I've never been able to decide if it's bad monitors or people genuinely don't understand what good aesthetics and visual design are but it's probably both.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Mescal posted:

Sorry, I have no idea how it actually works. But it probably looks something like left, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ufM3SxgyE

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I pirated ZHP years ago and didn't get far in it, but credit to the writers for calling their antagonist The Demon General Darkdeath Evilman.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Mescal posted:

Brave to assume these people know what a tree looks like.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

zedprime posted:

Brave to assume these people know what a tree looks like.

I know that a tree looks like, I just don't understand how people can think Brown / Orange exists.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Obviously the best solution is the one that The Surge 2 has, which is offering two AA options: One is making everything blurrier without removing any aliasing, and the other one just doesn't do anything at all.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
For anyone playing Encased, be sure to have like 15 points or so just ready to use if you come across a locked chest or something that needs more points.
Just like any Fallouty RPG really. Its come in handy for me a few times.
Though I havent seen a way to put points into say Strength yet after character creation.
Some things take force to get into making me kinda sad I went low Str.
There are items like Lockpicks for lockpicking or Floppies for hacking that give you X amount above your stats needed.
Also magazines for temp +stats like light weapons.

And this really is just Fallout mixed with Stalker.
Tells an interesting story.

Pretty enjoyable.

e: Speaking of, I just found some Power Armor

OgNar fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 9, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Oh yeah, I beat Turok 2 thanks to the cheat menu, because no way was I going back to get all the Primagen keys and figure out where the one objective I missed was. Meeeeeeeeeeeh. I think it's a perfect example of a game that actually has aged poorly, and playing it made me remember "right, this was primarily a N64 game, wasn't it." Its biggest problem was definitely its level design, specifically the fact that almost all the fights happened in narrow corridors against enemies with little capability or space to really maneuver. Its other big problem relates to said enemies. You rarely fight more than three at a time, and they're pretty bullet spongy if you don't headshot them, though that's also less of a thing when you get the bigger guns.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Yeah but the Cerebral Bore will always be the best gun in an FPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Squiggle posted:

Yeah but the Cerebral Bore will always be the best gun in an FPS

Wasn't "The Cerebral Bore" Zizek's nickname in college?