Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

The Shortest Path posted:

Your opponent's turn one, if you're on the play. :getin:

that doesn't work, it only flips on the active player's turn based on what the active player does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

flatluigi posted:

that doesn't work, it only flips on the active player's turn based on what the active player does

They are insinuating your opponent does nothing, its a joke

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

flatluigi posted:

your turn one you play a land and a woof
my turn one i play a land and pass
it's night time now, all your woofs etb in night mode, and stays night time until either of us plays 2+ spells on our own turn

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Unnatural Moonrise
RG
Sorcery
It becomes night. Until end of turn, target creature gets +1/+0, trample and "whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card."
Flashback 2RG

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I guess that card also answers the question of how do you make it night

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Unnatural Moonrise
RG
Sorcery
It becomes night. Until end of turn, target creature gets +1/+0, trample and "whenever this creature deals combat damage to a player, draw a card."
Flashback 2RG

Lol speak of the devil

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
No no, this is for werewolves, not devils

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

// 60 Maindeck
// 23 Creature
4 Blood Artist
4 Blood Seeker
2 Hunted Dragon
4 Varchild's War-Riders
4 Vexing Devil
1 Massacre Wurm
2 Clackbridge Troll
2 Cordial Vampire

// 5 Enchantment
4 Illness in the Ranks
1 Tainted Aether

// 6 Instant
4 Zealous Persecution
2 Bedevil

// 23 Land
2 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Caves of Koilos
4 Forbidden Orchard
1 Mountain
2 Swamp
4 Blood Crypt
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Sacred Foundry

// 3 Sorcery
2 Earthquake
1 Mogg Infestation

It's a hoot, tho not optimized for mana curves or anything. Built largely around Varchild's, cause that card is hilarious.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

whydirt posted:

No no, this is for werewolves, not devils

night time is for everyone!

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So they're are several cards that state, if it is not day or night, then it becomes X.

What do we need to trigger the cycle to start, any day bound creature? Or something that starts the cycle?

Turn one, land, go, it doesn't become night immediately, since there is nothing that cares about it?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Drowning Rabbit posted:

So they're are several cards that state, if it is not day or night, then it becomes X.

What do we need to trigger the cycle to start, any day bound creature? Or something that starts the cycle?

Turn one, land, go, it doesn't become night immediately, since there is nothing that cares about it?

Yeah the day/night token card says if a card says it becomes day or night that’s when you start tracking it and it lasts the rest of the game. Until then it’s neither

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
idk about everyone else, but one reason i disliked the old werewolves is that to me the mechanic wasn't at all evocative. making it explicit, even just by giving the phases names, helps a lot i think, plus makes it easier to track.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Correct. It's like the monarch where no one tracks it before a card instructs you to do so.
A daybound creature entering the battlefield will do it.
As will one of the cards that says "if not day or night, it's day".

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Unnatural Moonrise
RG
Sorcery
Flashback 2RG

I never really played with transform cards before, but I guess this means spells don't fizzle if their target transforms, right? So you can target a werewolf you control, have it flip into night mode, and it will keep the trample/attack boost/curiosity effect?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

goferchan posted:

I never really played with transform cards before, but I guess this means spells don't fizzle if their target transforms, right? So you can target a werewolf you control, have it flip into night mode, and it will keep the trample/attack boost/curiosity effect?

The answer is no. If you target a creature and it transforms before or during the resolution of the spell/ability it's the same target and nothing will change.

But also, this spell can only be cast with a target which means if turning it from day to night invalidated the target the spell would be a complete flavor fail since it wouldn't work on werewolves.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

I would assume so, like it’s still the same permanent if it transforms. I know there’s cards released before with transform mechanics so there are probably rulings about it

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
there are exceptions, like the origins walkers because they get exiled in between flipping. i think technically they never transform, only return transformed.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Rinkles posted:

there are exceptions, like the origins walkers because they get exiled in between flipping. i think technically they never transform, only return transformed.

Technically they're only exceptions because if they transformed they'd have 0 loyalty and just die.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

712.14. When a transforming double-faced permanent transforms, it doesn’t become a new object. Any effects that applied to that permanent will continue to apply to it after it transforms.
Example: An effect gives Village Ironsmith (the front face of a transforming double-faced card) +2/+2 until end of turn and then Village Ironsmith transforms into Ironfang. Ironfang will continue to get +2/+2 until end of turn.

I can’t find any specific examples for spells targeting a transforming permanent but I assume it’s still considered the same target.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Pablo Nergigante posted:

712.14. When a transforming double-faced permanent transforms, it doesn’t become a new object. Any effects that applied to that permanent will continue to apply to it after it transforms.
Example: An effect gives Village Ironsmith (the front face of a transforming double-faced card) +2/+2 until end of turn and then Village Ironsmith transforms into Ironfang. Ironfang will continue to get +2/+2 until end of turn.

I can’t find any specific examples for spells targeting a transforming permanent but I assume it’s still considered the same target.

Correct. It's the same object, so as long as the back side is still a legal target for whatever spell/ability you targeted the permanent with it will resolve just fine.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HootTheOwl posted:

Technically they're only exceptions because if they transformed they'd have 0 loyalty and just die.

Technically they could have written "transform and put X loyalty counters", but it'd be a bit silly to have the starting loyalty that actually matters be printed on the creature side.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
E: nvm

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Sep 9, 2021

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

goferchan posted:

Of course it works, that's literally the primary use case. That is the most obvious reason to cast this.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Exterminate the Lineage 1BB

Instant Rare

Choose one:

Target creature gets -5/-5 until end of turn

Creature tokens get -2/-2 until end of turn

"Forget your human ancestors, now you're part of my family"

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Strong Sauce posted:

Instant Rare

Choose one:

This is pretty dope.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Of course it works, that's literally the primary use case. That is the most obvious reason to cast this.

Well yeah the card itself made that pretty clear for me, but before that I assumed it was worked like a blink effect. I think my only previous exposure to transform cards was the Origins planeswalkers which, as mentioned upthread, were implemented differently for Planeswalkers reasons

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Strong Sauce posted:

Instant Rare

Choose one:

That artwork is extremely playmattable. Card rules, too. I'm building a cube and this will slot right in.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I'm trying to find the history of this or any ruling errata during the "Grand Creature Type Update" but can't find anything. Why is Devoted Caretaker a Human Cleric even though it just says Cleric? I am looking on mtg fandom and I don't see any rulings about Clerics being Human Clerics and the like? The reason I ask is because apparently people are buying that card in anticipation for Innistrad.

edit: bleh on the wizard site.. says all creatures that were errata'd mostly got assigned Human as a race during the renaming..

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Sep 9, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It's because it has a human in the art.

(Generally speaking, nearly the older cards that weren't depicting humans already had Elf or Merfolk or whatever in their creature types, so Human is by far the most common racial creature type to be added.)

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

This is a cool hatebear/anti-hate/value creature combo.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Oblivion Rite is insane, I have so many decks that would love it

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Strong Sauce posted:

people are buying that card in anticipation for Innistrad.

Wut

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i'm guessing for human commander decks?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

3GGG Sorcery (Rare)

Look at the top five cards of your library. Put up to two permanent cards with mana value 5 or less from among them onto the battlefield. Put the rest on the bottom of your library in a random order.

Flashback 7GGG

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Strong Sauce posted:

i'm guessing for human commander decks?

I repeat. Wut.

Its not even any good for that. Where are you getting this from?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

mentioned in the mtg market watch channel that talks about card prices...

you can see it on mtggoldfish here:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Sounds kinda like people buying up Rishadan Brigand for their legacy Pirate decks.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Am I alone in thinking that werewolves are really boring?

Not specifically in innistrad, but in general. I think it's because they're generic like Zombies, they're 'once human but now other' like zombies, but they don't really have any social commentary beyond, 'man is an animal'. They all look the same, there's not really a great deal you can do with it. I think it's a shame, really, that they're tied down to 'wolves'. I think stuff like werebears, werefalcons, wererhinoes etc would be way more interesting. I mean I know this is the classic horror set and not the 'twist on classic horror' set, I get why. I just hate them hanging these sets on 'Dog. Large dog. Small dog. Angry dog. Big angry dog. Big angry dog that for some reason has projectile attacks. Small angry dog that can become massive under specific circumstances' etc etc, when you've got stuff like Thing in the Ice waiting in the wings.

Actually, I'm gonna walk that back a bunch, I think compared to the generic fodder you get in normal sets, Werewolves are fantastically evocative, I think it's just compared to all the other stuff they kind of pale. I always found the day / night mechanic overly fiddly and unengaging, I think this new one looks a LOT better because it's much more to do with 'night creatures vs day walkers' than 'werewolves in human or wolf form'.

I guess what I'm saying is the Vampire Wedding sounds like it's going to be loving incredible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah in my opinion of all the old tired monster movie tropes Werewolves are easily the most boring. They're fine as filler but heavily focusing on them just highlights how little there is to do with them.