Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andyf
May 18, 2008

happy car is happy

Ah thanks, I found I could research and build the new smelter / assembly buildings so think I'm good there. I assume if any changes to recipes / ratios have been introduced, they will just take effect as soon as I either loaded a game after an update, or saved + reloaded.

The new planet types sound neat. I loaded up and flew around a bit and got extremely overwhelmed by everything, though, so I think I need a decent bit of time to remember what exactly I've done. I have no idea where half my resources are coming from, I hope I don't get a sudden resource shortage before I know what the hell is going on :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I feel you on the "I have no idea where my poo poo is coming from/being made" comments. Next game I'm making I'm 100% making a point to rename systems over what's being made in them. That was the point that broke me, when I just had no idea where the things I was making got off to.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I just grabbed a random system with 4 planets to be my main ore processing area. I think I知 going to leave coal/graphite/diamond for elsewhere, or maybe stuff it on to the stone processing planet somewhere.

My first planet is finally fully paved over (aside from a small area I知 collecting water), but everything there feels like such a mess that I知 going to stop imports and try to do 1-planet-per-type of thing I知 manufacturing.

I知 going to need a lot of planets :gonk:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Just look at everything outside of your current gravity well as a black box which your freighters know how to interact with and refuse to explain to you!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Icon Of Sin posted:

I知 going to need a lot of planets :gonk:

Yep! But it has it's benefits. An extremely clear supply chain for one. Typically speaking, I don't rename systems, but I rename plants for sure. If you're only doing one thing there then it's real easy to not forget where everything is.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I mean, I知 not going to not do it. If anything else, more systems means I can exploit more gas giants for that sweet sweet deuterium that I知 somehow always short on :getin:

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

So apparently polar blueprints don't work the way I hoped they did. As I found out by way of my solar cap blueprint failing to work at all after being copied. That's unfortunate to discover, to say the least. On the flip side, I finally have deuterium supplies out the rear end, which is very helpful!

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

SkyeAuroline posted:

So apparently polar blueprints don't work the way I hoped they did. As I found out by way of my solar cap blueprint failing to work at all after being copied. That's unfortunate to discover, to say the least. On the flip side, I finally have deuterium supplies out the rear end, which is very helpful!

I got mine to work. I basically needs to be almost exactly oriented the way it was when you copied it.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I'm thinking about getting back into this now that blueprints are a thing.

Last time i played, i got up to building the sphere itself but ducked out because it was taking too long. How much of a gamechanger is the blueprint system? Like will it cut down the slog of going through the game considerably?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Blueprints are great! Setting up a new planet as mining outpost takes like 20 minutes if you use blueprints and logistics stations.

Some mods really cut down the tedium: i use infinite ore sources because moving production around is boring to me. I also made the construction bots hella fast, foundations free, give me more detailed info on ore amounts and production statistics, and automatically spread warpers around my station. Oh, and i increased the uptake of sails into the sphere.

My main enemy now is frame rate, the game chugs on my main planet. I might have to spread production around a bit.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Samopsa posted:

Blueprints are great! Setting up a new planet as mining outpost takes like 20 minutes if you use blueprints and logistics stations.

Some mods really cut down the tedium: i use infinite ore sources because moving production around is boring to me. I also made the construction bots hella fast, foundations free, give me more detailed info on ore amounts and production statistics, and automatically spread warpers around my station. Oh, and i increased the uptake of sails into the sphere.

My main enemy now is frame rate, the game chugs on my main planet. I might have to spread production around a bit.
Infinite ore sources don't make the game easy mode IMO - you still have to worry about resource bottlenecks. You just get a bit more bang for your buck when putting the effort into cramming in as many miners as you can.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Shipon posted:

Infinite ore sources don't make the game easy mode IMO - you still have to worry about resource bottlenecks. You just get a bit more bang for your buck when putting the effort into cramming in as many miners as you can.

exactly, ore running out just adds tedium for me: moving around parts of production and such once it runs out. That doesn't appeal to me. I also play factorio with small field with basically infinite ore, forcing me to expand but letting those outposts run for a long time.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Kin posted:

I'm thinking about getting back into this now that blueprints are a thing.

Last time i played, i got up to building the sphere itself but ducked out because it was taking too long. How much of a gamechanger is the blueprint system? Like will it cut down the slog of going through the game considerably?

There is unfortunately still no blueprint system for spheres, so that remains a slog to set up without mods. However, the actual process of setting up machinery got a lot easier (if not necessarily faster, the drones are still slow enough I probably take as long waiting for them as I did setting up plans in the first place). Less careful spacing counts, more slapping down blueprints and going to town. I do wish there was a function to set the products of machines in a given blueprints before pasting it, since I blueprinted generic smelting and 1-1, 2-1, and 3-1 assembler setups; actually setting the production for larger blocks of single items can be annoying, especially when the spacing shifts on a non-hard-break line and refuses to let you paste anything. Happened with my last production block I stamped down, one row had to have all the recipes copied out individually instead of just dragging like normal. Other than that, any issues I've run into have been minor, mostly just things not pasting as expected and the aforementioned spacing varying within "valid" locations.

In short: it makes it easier, it might make it faster even if mass build undercuts that some, but it still has some frustrating issues to get used to.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Do blueprints get saved so they're reusable for a new game?

Manyorcas
Jun 16, 2007

The person who arrives last is fined, regardless of whether that person's late or not.

Demiurge4 posted:

Do blueprints get saved so they're reusable for a new game?

I haven't tried it myself, but the blueprint screen asks "Which folder would you like to save blueprints in?" So I want to say Yes. they also have pastable strings for sharing with others.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
So I gave it a bash and got up to finish the first batch of red research before questioning why i was playing it all again.

I used a few mods this time which sorta helped, but ultimately made me just want to load up my end of game save with mods active to help me finish off the sphere.

One mod i'm eyeing up is a multiplier one (which also ramps up the power consumption requirement). If I'm reading the description of it right, each building can generate multiple more copies of items vs the base product requirements.

I think that should reduce any bottleneck issues i had for end of game components in my original save if I ramp that up

Edit: actually, I think the multiplier thing has only screwed up some of my systems.

Like 3 assemblers now seem to be gobbling up what would usually be enough raw materials for 9 or more of them with a T3 belt/grabber. However those 3 assemblers aren't spitting out as many items for some reason.

Either way, the blueprints were nice but I don't think they're enough to bring me neck back into the game.

Kin fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Aug 9, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I last played back in March and picked it up again the other day and started a new game. Not much has changed but it's still fun. I got all the all the way up to completing all pre-white cube science but now I gotta decide where to put the sphere. I completely skipped solar sails in my starter system this time around - fusion power was already one heck of a lot more convenient than ray receivers, but then they buffed fusion significantly so I really didn't see a reason to mess with solar sails. That means though that I can't get any white cubes at all yet, and without a level or three of repeatable mecha core and warp speed techs, getting to the real juicy systems 25 ly or so away is real tedious. I think I played myself :smith:

I'll probably just try to put mall outputs into the logistics system and make a one way trip, but it's gonna take a bunch of prep work.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Thinking of starting a new game in this.

Anyone able to provide a quick summary of significant features/content that has been added since early March? I know there's blueprints now, just hoping there's a good amount of new stuff to get into. If not, I might hold off for a bit longer.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
There isn't any new content in terms of additional research or buildings, other than the research that unlocks blueprints. There are some new planet types that require fresh world gen. Other than that all they have done so far are bug fixes and quality of life features like blueprints, mass deconstruct and copying sorter placement.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Note that the QoL are massive improvements. The ability to copy+paste a building and its attached inserters, even without blueprints, alone does wonders in making the game more enjoyable.

Sadly nothing hugely new though. Oh if you destroy a warehouse or tank the excess items don't disappear now: they explode as tiles into the world that you have to either hoover up or just click the "destroy all" button. Same if you delete things out of your inventory.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
There's a tier 2 smelter now, I guess? It's twice as fast as a normal smelter, but it's mildly obnoxious to produce (requires unipolar magnets) so I haven't tried it yet.

But yeah the build tools are much better, you can just copy-and-drag to place rows of everything now.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Uni mags are just all-round baffling. They're the least common resource, they tend to spawn at max distance from your start, and the products that use them cost so many that it's honestly easier to make a billion green engines instead.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

They are genuinely fine for the new smelters, mostly because they池e the less annoying ingredient. By the time you池e deciding to siphon off excess plane filters - maybe the most annoying thing to make in the game - for the smelters, adding unipolar magnets to your supply chain is a breeze.

This is already victory lap territory. T2 smelters are a luxury of semi-insane players like me (although the new look and animations they get are pretty neat looking)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I have not played the game in the past few months, so I am sure there are many updates I need to get up to speed on. I think the one change I'll do is make more use of a lot of planets, rather than trying to constantly shoehorn stuff on my starter planet.

First, framerate was a big problem after a while, secondly things got really sloppy. Making ISTs is going to be a bit of a pain in the rear end, but I think having planets dedicated to producing one or two items, being self sustaining with solar power and shipping those end use products back to a central storage planet might be a better way to go rather than having an endless sprawl of belts all over the place.

I have a huge galaxy to play in, why cramp myself onto the starter planet? Expanding that midlevel product line is a hell of a lot easier if i have space on its own planet to grow.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Cimber posted:

I have not played the game in the past few months, so I am sure there are many updates I need to get up to speed on. I think the one change I'll do is make more use of a lot of planets, rather than trying to constantly shoehorn stuff on my starter planet.

First, framerate was a big problem after a while, secondly things got really sloppy. Making ISTs is going to be a bit of a pain in the rear end, but I think having planets dedicated to producing one or two items, being self sustaining with solar power and shipping those end use products back to a central storage planet might be a better way to go rather than having an endless sprawl of belts all over the place.

Using multiple planets is a really fun way to go about things. If you're going to be distributing your production throughout the cluster you don't really need to centralize everything on a storage planet. There's really no need to do so and you'd probably be hurting yourself in the long run. Store stuff on the planet you make it, either in multiple towers or if you're so inclined just add extra storages to increase the buffer. Thanks to the nature of how towers work they will automatically deliver stuff everywhere it's needed. If you add in a storage planet you're just adding an additional destination that will split your throughput until the storages fill. You might be able to get a little fancy and have your production towers limit their deliveries to the storage planet only using the distance modifier in the tower settings, but this is just needless complexity.

The only other thing I'd probably tell you is local solar panels will only support smallish factories. I have solar panel belts on almost all of my major manufacturing planets - some of which require 2-3 gigawatts of power to run at full capacity - but only as a 300ish MW supplement to importing power in the form of either deuterium rods, anti-matter rods or accumulators (I haven't actually used accumulators yet although they've been significantly buffed recently). Just keep in mind that if you go big you're going to be forced to import power.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Interesting, thanks for that commentary. I was more thinking that if i have some production planets 30+ LY away from where I am doing more high grade materials the time lag between the freighters getting to the planet where they are needed could cause production shutdowns. If i have a central planet that received mats from the far flung bases that would provide a buffer, while the manufacturing planets could have their own dedicated freighters going back and forth to the logistics hub grabbing things on demand.

Same concept why amazon doesn't ship directly from China to my house, they ship lots of different things into central warehouses and then distribute them outwards to customers.

What you said about the solar panels is very true however, so I'll take that under advisement.

Cimber fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 17, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They actually haven稚 updated the game much and this is probably what the game will be

I致e played through it three times now and the switch to the logistics towers hurts the game. That whole mechanic needs to be redone in a more interesting way imho.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I知 an hour or so into a new game and I think my conveyor spaghetti might actually be worse now that I know they can go up and down over each other.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

drunken officeparty posted:

I知 an hour or so into a new game and I think my conveyor spaghetti might actually be worse now that I know they can go up and down over each other.

Waiting for Lets game it out to broadcast something about this.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Cimber posted:

Interesting, thanks for that commentary. I was more thinking that if i have some production planets 30+ LY away from where I am doing more high grade materials the time lag between the freighters getting to the planet where they are needed could cause production shutdowns. If i have a central planet that received mats from the far flung bases that would provide a buffer, while the manufacturing planets could have their own dedicated freighters going back and forth to the logistics hub grabbing things on demand.

Same concept why amazon doesn't ship directly from China to my house, they ship lots of different things into central warehouses and then distribute them outwards to customers.

What you said about the solar panels is very true however, so I'll take that under advisement.

Lag time doesn't really matter like it does in real life logistics. You set a production chain up and then it runs forever. The aren't really any kind of dynamic changes to demand. You run out of input to a system if you either aren't making enough of that input product, or you have a logistical bottleneck. Logistical bottlenecks are alleviated by building more towers.

For me, It just seemed easier to build the extra towers on just the production planets than to also have to build them on a warehousing planet that can introduce bottlenecks and makes shipments consume twice as many warpers.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Yeah, the actual logistical coordination is done off-screen by the enormous fleets of drones and freighters which you construct and deploy, so literally just let them handle everything about lag times and supply-and-demand-side storage buffers. Your job is to lay out factory complexes which pull out of one set of towers and output into another.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Lag time only matters if you can burn through a full tower of items before the next shipment gets there. But at that point you can probably just add another tower and balance things locally instead of making a buffer planet somewhere on the way.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
If lag time is killing you, put up several ILS to pull offplanet and deliver locally. Change your factory ILS to local demand only, so that it only tries to pull local and not offscreen. You'd rather have ten buffer ILS dealing with lag than your one factory one.

(This means, of course, you have to beef up supply capability on your distant planet.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Is there a mod to remove the dumb blueprint limit they put in?

GotDonuts
Apr 28, 2008

Karbohydrate Kitteh
Anyone have their favorite seeds for a fresh start?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
So, I finally "finished" the game after buying it on release.
My thoughts:
1) Starting on a relatively watery location is hell, and running out of soil made me rage quit for the day several times.
1a) The modmanager doesn't really work on linux, so I can't cheat in infinites.
2) Starting in a system with sane amounts of starting resources makes this game so much easier then my first attempt at release.
3) Blueprints are nice, but they are horribly fiddly. Steps to paste: Copy something, quit menu, remove excess belts, copy again, quit menu, add foundations, copy again, quit menu, remove stray wind-mine, copy again, paste successfully, connect belts, notice you are missing items.
4) In the end I was just letting the game run for an hour while the last research was finishing.

And the fact that you can't land on top of the tall buildings really annoys me.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

VictualSquid posted:

So, I finally "finished" the game after buying it on release.
My thoughts:
1) Starting on a relatively watery location is hell, and running out of soil made me rage quit for the day several times.
1a) The modmanager doesn't really work on linux, so I can't cheat in infinites.
2) Starting in a system with sane amounts of starting resources makes this game so much easier then my first attempt at release.
3) Blueprints are nice, but they are horribly fiddly. Steps to paste: Copy something, quit menu, remove excess belts, copy again, quit menu, add foundations, copy again, quit menu, remove stray wind-mine, copy again, paste successfully, connect belts, notice you are missing items.
4) In the end I was just letting the game run for an hour while the last research was finishing.

And the fact that you can't land on top of the tall buildings really annoys me.

1. Yeah, I hope/expect they eventually drop the soil pile thing. But at least you can remove/make it infinite. Can you use CheatEngine on Linux? That's how I resolve that, I just memory search for the soil pile amount and set it to 1 Billion then never worry about it again
2. The only thing I've ever been short on in the starting system is Iron, you really need a starting system spawn of over 4 million total if you're new/not rushing research.
3. Belts definitely need to not cause collision with other belts, I'm sure they're working on fixing that. However, there's some tricks to blueprint/copy usage that I've found that make it FAR less fiddly than it seems.
-The belt thing is a problem, but you can right click the belt qty in the copy screen to remove things. Also you don't need to copy in one selection, you can do multiple selection or make singular item selections. But you can place a belt on another belt as long as you are pasting two belt ends (with the gray end of line piece) onto eachother.
-After you do the copy and go into paste mode, you can back out to drop foundations and/or remove other items and then just hit ctrl-v again and it will put you back in paste mode with the blueprint/copy you had in hand. It only clears if you go into copy mode again or open the blueprint menu.
-Do note you will see BOTH warnings if you have foundation and collision, so just scan the area and look for red, so you don't have to back out multiple times.
-You can click and drag a blueprint/copy and use the +/- keys to adjust spacing just like shift click placing

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

A few tries into this game, and probably about 15 hours in, I have realized that I am going about everything the wrong way entirely. Oops. Time to adjust basically everything and see if that changes anything.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Olothreutes posted:

A few tries into this game, and probably about 15 hours in, I have realized that I am going about everything the wrong way entirely. Oops. Time to adjust basically everything and see if that changes anything.

The good news is that even if your starter system is beyond fixing you can just fly to another system and start over but with more tech

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

The good news is that even if your starter system is beyond fixing you can just fly to another system and start over but with more tech

That is good. My starter system sorta sucks. I have four total planets (technically two are moons) with less than 2 million titanium among them. Maybe I don't need very much of it?

Why am I always out of loving electromagnets? Ugh.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 9, 2021