Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

B33rChiller posted:

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the strategy. Time to bleep some bloops.

Bleeping and blooping over here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

I got a thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

petit choux posted:

Of the latest cheap keyboards I've taken in lately, here's a couple I like. this is what the above keyboard evolved into:

Yamaha had the PSR-7, 27, 37, 47 which evolved in the 8, 28, 38 and 48. Each gained more voices, more styles, stereo speakers and MIDI. DASS is just (2-op) FM + AWM, which is also found in the SY-22 and SY-35 synths.

Around the time the 48 was released, you could have a Juno-60 for 200 bucks or so. Keyboard prices age like milk.

If you really wanted to impress the ladies, you'd get the PSR-4500 which is a beefed up 47/48 with a really weird pitch bender and modwheel, and limited access to the synth engine, too.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like the old 2 op yamahas and would have loved to have one before I got the reface dx, which is simply amazing little board, nice velocity feel, great envelope editor and will go up to 4 operators. Wish the speakers were louder tho. I take a Bluetooth with me and plug it into the aux jack for micro jamming with my friends

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Mad Dragon posted:

I got a thing.

Very nice! All those knobs and sliders! How are the keys?

I have been enjoying this PO-20 more than I thought I would. I was correct, I hate the fact that its a circuit board but I can fix that by making a wooden box for this thing. I like a project.....so I donno maybe thats a plus for these things? :shrug: It seems to have some patterns built in, or maybe these were made by the original owner? I fed It through the worst ring modulator on my Casio Wk7600 as a test :black101:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yioOMJ_BRXc

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 9, 2021

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Laserjet 4P posted:

Yamaha had the PSR-7, 27, 37, 47 which evolved in the 8, 28, 38 and 48. Each gained more voices, more styles, stereo speakers and MIDI. DASS is just (2-op) FM + AWM, which is also found in the SY-22 and SY-35 synths.

Around the time the 48 was released, you could have a Juno-60 for 200 bucks or so. Keyboard prices age like milk.

If you really wanted to impress the ladies, you'd get the PSR-4500 which is a beefed up 47/48 with a really weird pitch bender and modwheel, and limited access to the synth engine, too.

I'll keep my eyes peeled. Wave shaping on this would be so great.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I like the little rubber case they made for them. You have to snap off the top part tho

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

I like the little rubber case they made for them. You have to snap off the top part tho

What, the POs? Not with the case I got. It has a slot for that to fit in if you want.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Mine had space for the nubbins but you still had to snap the top off

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

I like the old 2 op yamahas and would have loved to have one before I got the reface dx, which is simply amazing little board, nice velocity feel, great envelope editor and will go up to 4 operators. Wish the speakers were louder tho. I take a Bluetooth with me and plug it into the aux jack for micro jamming with my friends

they should add in the envelope copy feature from the old dx, it makes it less annoying

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

Oh yeah… now that you told me that exists I want envelope copy lol. It’s not too annoying to dial in though

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

petit choux posted:

Of course, now that I've posted it everybody will want it for gaming or something.

fight sticks are a dime a dozen, don't break a relatively uncommon PS1 peripheral if you don't have to.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Back to this trumpet thing, I need to build my chops back up. My lips get worn up pretty quick and I can't cleanly tongue a note too well RN, hopefully I'll get it back.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

fight sticks are a dime a dozen, don't break a relatively uncommon PS1 peripheral if you don't have to.

Yeah, well better late than never.

But that fight stick looks pretty ideal for a simple drum machine design.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 9, 2021

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Very nice! All those knobs and sliders! How are the keys?
Very piano-like, which is what I wanted to learn with. It has a ton of inputs and outputs (CV, MIDI, pedals), so it's probably going to be the last keyboard I'll need for a long time. Synths, on the other hand...

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

all the bendables have inspired me. we were at the dented can store today and me and the kid picked up halloween 9 sound sound maker things.

innards are pretty straight forward. surprisingly, instead of a black blob for the chip it's a 16 pin surface mount chip of, like, surprisingly big pitch. haven't probed it yet, but it looks like one pin for each of the trigger buttons, power, ground, speaker and I would guess clock. weirdest thing is that there are no markings on the chip. kind of a bummer because I would like to know what the other 6 pins on the chip do. I should be able to make the clock speed variable, that's about it, but that should also be plenty

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Rutibex posted:

Did you know that it is possible to haggle with Amazon? The other day I was looking through warehouse deals and I left a piece of lab equipment in my digital "shopping cart" for a couple days. When I checked back this piece of lab ware (which had stayed at the same price for months) suddenly had $15 knocked off the price. I thought "heck may as well check out now before someone else grabs this" and bought it.

Well a few days ago I was checking out the synth section of amazon warehouse deals and I saw a Pocket Operator PO-20 (used) and decided to test out my theory. I placed the PO-20 in my shopping cart but didn't check out. Right on schedule the next day the price for the PO-20 decreased by an additional $10. Either amazon has some AI that has figured out my buying patterns or there is a warehouse manager giving out discounts to people on the fence buying used things! In either case I now have a PO-20 to make video game noises (it didn't come with a box and there was already a song on it when I powered it up :v:)

Amazon adjusts all their prices dynamically using an algorithm (maybe with the exception of items where the supplier disallows discounts?) It's more likely you were seeing regular fluctuations in the price rather than something targeted at you.

But yeah, it is definitely worth looking at a price tracker for anything on there and waiting until the price goes down.

The dark side of this is that the algorithm dynamically jacks up prices on less common stuff, especially if they're the last place that still has stock, because their algorithm knows they can hook at least some people. I've seen things listed at 2-3X more than retail. Synths, at least in Canada, are a super mixed bag, often 2/3 the price at an actual music shop as on Amazon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

petit choux posted:

Yeah, well better late than never.

But that fight stick looks pretty ideal for a simple drum machine design.

Wouldn’t it be easier to get a USB-compatible one for like $20 and just hook it up to MIDI or whatever?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

Wouldn’t it be easier to get a USB-compatible one for like $20 and just hook it up to MIDI or whatever?

I paid about 20-25 for this piece. Pay me the same to do nothing with it and you've got a deal. I picked up a noisemaker from Lady Ada months back and haven't found the ideal enclosure yet, until this day, and here you stand against me like a giant crab.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

for the giant crabs just use a crushing attack and circle strafe to the side with the claw

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

A MIRACLE posted:

for the giant crabs just use a crushing attack and circle strafe to the side with the claw

Except you used your fightstick to make a drat dumb drum machine. Where is your circle strafing now you dingbat, you say?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

petit choux posted:

I paid about 20-25 for this piece. Pay me the same to do nothing with it and you've got a deal. I picked up a noisemaker from Lady Ada months back and haven't found the ideal enclosure yet, until this day, and here you stand against me like a giant crab.

I dunno dude, try putting it on Craigslist/eBay? I just plugged “PS1 fight stick” into eBay and I’m getting a lot of $40-$70 listings and none of them look exactly like yours, which might either mean that it’s rare and worthless or rare and possibly worth something to somebody, but you do you.

You went through the trouble of posting a pic of it here, you might as well post it in the appropriate Games thread and see what they tell you.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

I dunno dude, try putting it on Craigslist/eBay? I just plugged “PS1 fight stick” into eBay and I’m getting a lot of $40-$70 listings and none of them look exactly like yours, which might either mean that it’s rare and worthless or rare and possibly worth something to somebody, but you do you.

You went through the trouble of posting a pic of it here, you might as well post it in the appropriate Games thread and see what they tell you.

No seriously you can find this on ebay for about 20-25 ea no problem. It's a fairly solid chassis for making poo poo IMO. Those buttons may be real arcade buttons. This is begging to be made into something useful.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=fighter%27s+choice+playstation&_sacat=0

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

petit choux posted:

Back to this trumpet thing, I need to build my chops back up. My lips get worn up pretty quick and I can't cleanly tongue a note too well RN, hopefully I'll get it back.

you should check out The Buzzing Book if you want to get your chops back, it's a really great series of systematic exercises

if you wanna check it out PM me :wink:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'm doing me to the best of my abilities! What's funny is I did a similar search and I was blown away at how many permutations there are and how high quality too, and what great musical toys I might make out of them.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I've been doing really well with GAS lately, haven't bought anything in quite a while and really enjoying what I have currently! Still haven't made anything that could be generously called "music" but whatever.

And then I see the Syntrx... first GAS I've had in a while, I would love to have a Synthi clone, it's something I wish existed ever since playing around with one years ago, before I really had any idea what it was. That said, the price on the Syntrx is probably too steep for me to ever get one, even if they're going for about $500-$600 less used.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Like I have watched a few dozen circuit bending youtubes over the past few months and almost all of them I keep thinking, you need to spend some real time with this thing, maybe find its sweet spots, and put down some tracks. Nobody does, they make a few cool beeps and move on, and everybody concludes that the thing sounded like rear end and moves on. One of the main limitations to circuit bending is once again the human element.

Johnny Truant posted:

you should check out The Buzzing Book if you want to get your chops back, it's a really great series of systematic exercises

if you wanna check it out PM me :wink:

Cool. this silencer mute still does gently caress up my intonation, BTW, just not as bad as my brief attempt at DIYing it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

petit choux posted:

No seriously you can find this on ebay for about 20-25 ea no problem. It's a fairly solid chassis for making poo poo IMO. Those buttons may be real arcade buttons. This is begging to be made into something useful.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2047675.m570.l1313&_nkw=fighter%27s+choice+playstation&_sacat=0

ok rad

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Has possibilities anyway! Maybe I'll give it up and move on to something more useful, I dunno. I mean one of the main advantages novelty instruments like electric kalimbas and rubber band harps have is they're nice and small. This is not so small.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 9, 2021

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
DIY and circuit bent poo poo is rad and it makes me wish I wasn't terrible at electronics. My only experience with building something electrical was making a weed vape that died a fiery death.

I can only cope by buying a crave to go with my neutron because I need more poo poo to patch around.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Just sitting here dooting away on this trumpet. It's funny how things come back to you. I have barely touched a trumpet for about 30 years, it's gently coming back to me, I think, like memories. I think maybe my tongue is coming back now.

What this means of course is that I can use any audio source for the SY-300, really. I'm kind of eager to see what I can do with a conventional MIDI keyboard.

CatBlack posted:

DIY and circuit bent poo poo is rad and it makes me wish I wasn't terrible at electronics. My only experience with building something electrical was making a weed vape that died a fiery death.

I can only cope by buying a crave to go with my neutron because I need more poo poo to patch around.

Every day is another day to get out the old soldering iron and learn. And when you do, remember to not solder over your bare feet. Also do not shake excess solder off the tip if you are not wearing long pants.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wire up the fight stick so it outputs PS1 control signal and MIDI simultaneously, then hook it up to a drum machine and play some Street Fighter.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

I was saying this thing is like Sun Ra in a can. But also John Hassell. If anybody remembers him. I could just do John Hassell impressions all night here.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I've been playing around with a volca modular, just having fun figuring out how all the controls work. I was experimenting with different patches and tonight I stumbled upon a sound that jumped out at me from a tune I've been listening to quite often lately. Just super pleased with a minor surprise victory!

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

petit choux posted:

I was saying this thing is like Sun Ra in a can. But also John Hassell. If anybody remembers him. I could just do John Hassell impressions all night here.

Vernal Equinox is one of the things that got me into synth adjacent music like 15 years ago. Just bought the reissue on vinyl!

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

CatBlack posted:

I just started DIY modular with a $40 soldering station, and some Kester leaded solder. Having access to YouTube ... You can do anything.

The last time I soldered, I used my dad's soldering iron to try and mod a PlayStation... I failed.

Turns out a 140W iron is a bit much to attach a couple wires to a PCB.

If only YouTube existed in 1998.... I wouldn't have had to buy a new PlayStation.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Teenage Engineering has their modular kits back in stock. How are those guys?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any recommendations for OP-1 travel cases? Everything official is out of stock and the stock box plus rubbers bands thing is huge. TSA was like wtf is this thing.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

dexefiend posted:

Thanks! I am really excited about this whole project.

I went for 126hp to leave plenty of room after including the full Hexmix setup. This leaves me 182hp after that.

My excitement level is probably too high. I am trying to hold myself to only possessing at most two unassembled modules at a time.

I have five on order...

As I learn more this will probably change, but I am trying to do this in a intentional way. Thank goodness for ModularGrid.

I would have preferred to start Muxlicer + EvenVCO + Rampage + Hexmix VCA, but I am having trouble finding the kits.

Synth cube has the Even VCO kit in stock. I realize that may not help if you’re not in the U.S. though.

I just now panic bought a HexMix VCA kit for fear of them going out of stock soon. I really need more VCAs. I bought a Befaco Dual Attenuverter kit thinking it could double as two VCAs and it really doesn’t. I misunderstood what “offset” does. :hurr:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Rolo posted:

Any recommendations for OP-1 travel cases? Everything official is out of stock and the stock box plus rubbers bands thing is huge. TSA was like wtf is this thing.

I have the unit portables one but they look to be out of business. Mentioning it just in case you find someone selling a used one.