Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Anyone have any pro tips for keeping the cam and crank lined up when you're putting the new belt on? It would be nice if there was some way to lock them in place but I can't think of anything. I'm just afraid of loving up and accidentally spinning a cam gear to the point I don't know where it should be. Maybe that's irrational, I'm just not the most coordinated guy in the world.

Follow the service manual and the instructions with your kit. The new belt should have marks on it so you can line everything back up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Uh I bought a huge chain strap wrench to hold the crank pulley still. I used vice grips to hold the camshafts still. For the crank, you can also rotate the pulley into position (remove the spark plugs for easy mode), put it in gear and then set the parking brake.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

If I can count on anyone to get it, it's this thread.

Today I listed this car for sale, my 2004 Impreza, owned it since 2012.

This car has seen me through a lot. Multiple moves. Tons of abuse. Lumber, furniture, firewood, gravel. I've slept in it a few times. Changed the fuel pump in my driveway, changed the center diff bearings in my driveway, did all the maintenance myself. Love this car and will lament losing it. The rust is getting serious, the rockers are separating; exhaust leaks, every body panel has damage or rust, piston slap gets louder every year. Well and truly got my $4500 worth out of this car.

I'm selling it because I replaced it with this, 2017 Impreza:

Also love this car. Very similar in many ways. I can only hope that it serves me as well as my old one did, the bar is very high.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm guessing the answer is no, but would 215/60R16 tires fit on a first generation Impreza Outback Sport? I've got some Hakkapeliitta 9s that I was going to throw on my SVX but I'm thinking about putting it away for the winter instead. I have some Legacy GT snowflake wheels that I could try putting them on to put on the Impreza. I guess I could jack up each control arm to the maximum and see if it has an extra .65" all around, then steer lock to lock to see if there would be any rubbing there? It looks like the Forester of the same year had a 215/60R16 option on 16x6.5 tires but while the Outback Sport does have Forester springs the Forester is based off the Impreza platform, that doesn't mean the wheel/tire sizes will interchange.

E: Hmmm, I just did the measurements with a pair of calipers, based on the measurements I've got .8-1" between the 205/60R15 tires currently on there and the spring perch so I should be good there, .4" behind the tires to the strut body at the tightest spot, which is enough and I could get a bit more by reducing the amount of negative camber, I'm a little more worried about the extra .2" on the outside, actually. Might need to pull the wheel well liners. Still need to measure at full droop and full load on all four, I just did the measurements when I was already outside for a minute anyway.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 26, 2021

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

edit: Hi folks. Thank you all for the messages letting me know I should blank out the barcode, as my personal information could be pulled from it. I am thankful for the concern, but I am also glad to say that that is not *my* personal information, the image was passed along through discord from a friend who knows that I am a Subaru driver. Further reverse image searching shows that it appears several times on reddit, so uh. RIP that person.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 30, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I figured it was a Reddit repost but just wanted to be sure, without drawing attention to it :P

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Anybody ever run Endless Zeal Function X coil overs? Scored a good deal on a used set. Going to have them rebuilt I think since they have some miles on them.

Trying to get some better track manners in the Legacy. Currently on spec B Bilsteins and frankly I don’t like them that much. They feel stiffer which most people interpret as sporty, but the springs aren’t that progressive and there is a ton of body roll. That doesn’t bother me that much except it’s killing tires even with camber maxed. I added white line swaybars which definitely helps with tire wear, but of course the suspension is less independent. So if I clip a curb mid corner it really upsets the car. With the front set to full soft and the rear full stiff it doesn’t understeer at least. Yeah I know that Cat and Jamal told me this would happen but the sways were a good deal used and easy to put on and off.

Edit: nevermind the Endless coil overs are discontinued and the only way to rebuild them is to replace the shock bodies for ~500 bones each. Total cost then is the same as a fresh set of Ohlins Road and Track, which then come with a warranty and are brand new.

Yanked the old trans last night too. The 170 dollar Amazon trans jack worked flawlessly

i own every Bionicle fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Sep 1, 2021

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Any recommendations for decent affordable tires for a 2017 Impreza sport? I'm very overdue for new ones, and just need some reasonable all seasons. I'm not tracking it or anything.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Funzo posted:

Any recommendations for decent affordable tires for a 2017 Impreza sport? I'm very overdue for new ones, and just need some reasonable all seasons. I'm not tracking it or anything.

Define affordable.
I'm on Continental DWS06, which are $135 from tire rack, which I think is pretty good. They are a good tire. I switched from the Bridgestone Potenza RE960, they are just as good but about 30 cheaper if I remember.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Subaru, why can't I use cruise control on steep hills?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Along those lines, give me cruise control over 99mph you cowards.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Charles posted:

Subaru, why can't I use cruise control on steep hills?

Mine works on hills, it just catches up all that lost speed going downhill.

Also don't try shifting without the clutch with cruise on. I learned today that the engine will just wind itself out if you don't disengage cruise somehow first. Obviously using the clutch pedal would disengage it, but this transmission is smooth as hell upshifting without the clutch and about a half second hesitation before slipping into the next gear. Never grinds, just goes.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Mine works on hills, it just catches up all that lost speed going downhill.

Also don't try shifting without the clutch with cruise on. I learned today that the engine will just wind itself out if you don't disengage cruise somehow first. Obviously using the clutch pedal would disengage it, but this transmission is smooth as hell upshifting without the clutch and about a half second hesitation before slipping into the next gear. Never grinds, just goes.

I don't think I've ever tried pulling out of gear while throttle is applied, but I can't remember. I don't think it's very good for things no matter how perfectly you time it but I used to do that sometimes. Oh well.

This one is a CVT and it's actually pretty smart about "downshifting" down hills and even applies the brakes, to some extent. I guess the camera system can't track the lead car up or down steep slopes, but then I'd like to just use regular cruise control.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Charles posted:

I don't think I've ever tried pulling out of gear while throttle is applied, but I can't remember.

It would rev to the limit. Cruise control in these things is really drat simple. It has no idea what gear you are in, or not any gear for that matter. That's why there are switches on the brake and clutch pedal to disengage it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's funny how Subaru can't even handle a clutch in with cruise, but I could downshift all the way to stop with ACC in my Golf (or upshift back to speed if traffic resumed before I stopped.)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Charles posted:

I don't think I've ever tried pulling out of gear while throttle is applied, but I can't remember. I don't think it's very good for things no matter how perfectly you time it but I used to do that sometimes. Oh well.

Shifting without the clutch is fine, knowing your limitations is the important part. I only upshift without the clutch in higher gears, I'm too lazy to rev match on the downshifts. I can do it, but I'm so used to clutching the way down. 1 to 2 is always clutch, 2 to 3 about half the time, 3 to 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6 almost always without the clutch. I've done this for years over several cars, never blown up a manual transmission. It's fine. If you're grinding and chewing up your synchronizers, you're using too much pressure and trying to shift too quickly. It's faster to use the clutch.

Kia sells manual equipped cars without cruise. Or at least that was the case with my Soul. 120k miles without cruise. I wanted to put a literal brick on the pedal any time I drove more than 10 miles on the interstate.

E: shifting without the clutch often leads to me being in 6th gear, but the display reading 4th or 5th.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 9, 2021

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Motronic posted:

It would rev to the limit. Cruise control in these things is really drat simple. It has no idea what gear you are in, or not any gear for that matter. That's why there are switches on the brake and clutch pedal to disengage it.

I just meant in any car, not even with the cruise control on, hah.

My last manual Subaru was a WRX which had bad syncros from the factory, so not sure it'd be a good idea to shift clutch less, LMAO. Replaced under warranty though.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
If you're trying to drive fast, just use the clutch. Clutchless shifting is for the lazy.

If it's a lazy highway drive home, it's fine though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

If you're trying to drive fast, just use the clutch. Clutchless shifting is for the lazy.

Oh I'm not so sure about that....... it's all about timing and clutchless fast works. And that's when it's not for the lazy

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Motronic posted:

In the eyesight cars, the Cruise control is smart enough to apply the brakes. Pretty cool stuff

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

daslog posted:

In the eyesight cars, the Cruise control is smart enough to apply the brakes. Pretty cool stuff

I find the adaptive cruise control to be too spoopy for me. Then again I haven't done any long distance travelling with it yet, so I'm sure I'd appreciate it then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

daslog posted:

It would be cooler if they didn't tie it to the CVT/automatic.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Anyone here hardwire install a dashcam on their Crosstrek? Just bought a 2021. I've never had something like EyeSight before so between that and not wanting random cables hanging around like it did on my old rear end cars, I'm thinking of doing it. Is that typically something that voids a warranty?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Iron Crowned posted:

I find the adaptive cruise control to be too spoopy for me. Then again I haven't done any long distance travelling with it yet, so I'm sure I'd appreciate it then.

Long distance it's brilliant. So relaxing to set and forget speed and just steer. I tend to set the distance to be max detection for cars in front because I don't trust the auto braking but it will bring you to a stop if cars in front stop. Just a light tap on the accelerator to get the car going again and it'll crawl in slow mowing congestion.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

WerthersWay posted:

Anyone here hardwire install a dashcam on their Crosstrek? Just bought a 2021. I've never had something like EyeSight before so between that and not wanting random cables hanging around like it did on my old rear end cars, I'm thinking of doing it. Is that typically something that voids a warranty?

I put a dashcam in my 2019 Impreza, there are some ok zones for the eyesight. Don't see why it would void the warranty as long as you don't install it in the eyesight FoV. Pretty sure this is what I roughly followed to route my wires too: https://dashcameras.net/dash-cam-subaru-eyesight/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The trickiest part is tucking the cable in to the headliner and above the eyesight camera on a side. If it helps, the plastic housing with the “do not touch” sign is not attached to the eyesight camera so do not fear moving that a tad. You should be able to tuck the cable up into the headliner without touching the actual camera and damaging anything. The forester video in that link before is a good guide but it skips over the actual camera part - just keep tucking the cable up there!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

New WRX info released.
https://www.subaru.com/2022-wrx

Nothing very exciting.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They put in the infotainment system from the Legacy/Outback. Otherwise the main thing is the 2.4L turbo which was very obvious.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

That new styling actually makes the current gen look decent which is saying something.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
At least you can add huge fender flares without cutting the body I guess?

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

The most interesting thing I read was that there's a GT trim which comes with electronic dampers. That could mean some really good suspension for the sti if it's tuned well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

net work error posted:

That new styling actually makes the current gen look decent which is saying something.

It’s got the taillights from the new BRZ/GR86, to further drive home the point that Subaru’s the one who actually built + engineered the bulk of that car (too bad they went with the uglier front end)

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Cool stuff:

-The new 2.4 doesn’t make much power stock but some people have gotten insane power out of it with tunes and bolt-ons. I expect it can be woken up quite a bit.
-Body cladding is dumb on a road SUV but it kind of comes full circle to cool again on a sport compact sedan if you want to slide around on gravel.
-It continues to be an affordable manual non-FWD car with some practicality, which is getting more and more rare.

Bad stuff:
-Bigger
-No wagon
-Any time spent at all developing Eyesight or CVT misses the point of this car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
The orange is nice

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i own every Bionicle posted:

Cool stuff:

-The new 2.4 doesn’t make much power stock but some people have gotten insane power out of it with tunes and bolt-ons. I expect it can be woken up quite a bit.

That’s relatively free because Subaru already sells a sedan on the subaru global platform with the 2.4 turbo, CVT and eyesight.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

i own every Bionicle posted:

Cool stuff:

-Body cladding is dumb on a road SUV but it kind of comes full circle to cool again on a sport compact sedan if you want to slide around on gravel.
-It continues to be an affordable manual non-FWD car with some practicality, which is getting more and more rare.

Bad stuff:
-Bigger
-No wagon

Feeling feisty so I'm going to counter these. Sorry.

-You shouldn't have to spend an extra $600 to unlock what the car should already be
-Body cladding is only useful on an offroad car. The WRX has not been this for a long time. Subaru needs to align its marketing to what the car actually is, a kinda sporty econosedan.
-Please stop with the wagon. The last time it was an option was 7 years ago. Subaru has shown no interest in brining it back and its getting weird to mention at this point.
-Subaru has been quoted as expressing interest in bringing the WRX to a more mature crowd, this means calmer tunes, softer lines, and more luxury features. Eyesight and CVT is exactly the kinds of changes they want. They don't even really like the hood scoop anymore.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

It's getting weird to mention the WRX wagon? Come on, that poo poo was iconic.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

um excuse me posted:

Feeling feisty so I'm going to counter these. Sorry.

-You shouldn't have to spend an extra $600 to unlock what the car should already be
-Body cladding is only useful on an offroad car. The WRX has not been this for a long time. Subaru needs to align its marketing to what the car actually is, a kinda sporty econosedan.
-Please stop with the wagon. The last time it was an option was 7 years ago. Subaru has shown no interest in brining it back and its getting weird to mention at this point.
-Subaru has been quoted as expressing interest in bringing the WRX to a more mature crowd, this means calmer tunes, softer lines, and more luxury features. Eyesight and CVT is exactly the kinds of changes they want. They don't even really like the hood scoop anymore.

ffs the best Subarus have always been wagons

the best (and slowest) Subaru available right now that isn't also a toyota is a wagon

Subaru could make a crosstrek WRX and it would immediately cannibalize 95% of WRX sedan sales, even with the worse dynamics of a lifted car.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

ffs the best Subarus have always been wagons

Let it be know that I don't explicitly disagree, but I've just come to accept that Subaru is no longer the little Japanese outfit it used to be, and they don't really seem to look back all that often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Speaking of WRX wagons, my wife has a 2014 and she loves everything about it except the headlights. I’ve seen posts that we may be able to swap in HIDs from the STI.

Has anyone done it or know where to find a good write up? My googling came up with mostly aftermarket headlight installs and I don’t want to be blinding people when we drive.