Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Eimi posted:

I prefer Sompek to the Kobayashi for this event, though I'm guessing any new tfo is going to be stuck with the tedium of timers.

Sompek is very fast and its great.

But a Ground TFO with their current design philosophy? Not looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

So I've finally got the big event reward, but I can't decide whether I should grab the free lockbox ship token or the two C-store ones. I don't really give a drat about optimal builds or ugly-rear end alien melted-plastic ships, so the only premium ship I'd really like to have is the classic temporal Connie. On the other hand, I've done all right without the Connie for years, and two C-store tokens would probably set me up nicely for whatever dribbles Cryptic releases next year. Any advice?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Marshal Radisic posted:

So I've finally got the big event reward, but I can't decide whether I should grab the free lockbox ship token or the two C-store ones. I don't really give a drat about optimal builds or ugly-rear end alien melted-plastic ships, so the only premium ship I'd really like to have is the classic temporal Connie. On the other hand, I've done all right without the Connie for years, and two C-store tokens would probably set me up nicely for whatever dribbles Cryptic releases next year. Any advice?

Fly what you think looks cool.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Marshal Radisic posted:

It depends if you'd ever get the 10th anniversary bundle. If you do you get the miracle worker Connie which is just a better ship than the Temporal. Otherwise unless you're missing some REALLY critical trait like Emergency Weapon Cycle or Entwined Tactical Matrix I'd probably just say splurge on the fun promo ship. It looks like any good releases will be legendary ships which coupons don't work on, or bundles which same.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Teron D Amun posted:

looks like the next TFO is a ground one vs Mirror Universe forces: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11496633

which seems to indicate that the next story arc is Mirror Universe related

quote:

“Captain, I hope you’re ready. Have your team report to Earth Space Dock within the week. Training operations for an assault on the Terran Earth Space Dock will begin as soon as you arrive.”
I'm cautiously optimistic, as this vaguely reminds me of the unintended invasions of ESD/Qo'Nos in the early STO days.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
For people who are here for the Star Trek and not the top-notch MMORPG action that STO provides, GOG has some "new" ST games available. Including Elite Force I/II and Bridge Commander.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Elite Force still holds up imo. I played it last year after ebaying the physical disk.

If they made it work on modern systems that you don't have to jump through crazy hoops to get it to run, i'm going to buy it again.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Oh poo poo someone actually put Bridge Commander up?

I actually snagged that off an abandonware website like a week ago and assumed it was cast to the winds. I'll happily pay :10bux: for a GOG versoin.

Also, bridge commander also holds up. Surprisingly well.

Here's hoping that with a easily available version out there that we get some good mod campaigns (as opposed to the current crop of mods that just put in ships from other sci fi series or let you fly the defiant in the campaign etc)

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I hope someday they can get Armada 1 and/or 2 up.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Bloodly posted:

Armada really doesn't hold up. It's very much generic RTS with a star-trek flavor. Fun for what it is, but nothing to bother with today.

I'll also take this moment to shout out the best Star Trek game out there right now, namely the Star Trek mod for Stellaris. It's easily one of the best modding projects out there today right now and if it was repackaged and sold as a stand alone, licensed game it would be worth buying.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Bloodly posted:

GOG is listed Armada I/II as "Soon". My guess is they couldn't get everything working right for Win10 before today, so we'll see them in the next few months.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Oh Cryptic.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Is something wrong with pw’s servers? The steam client crashes instantly before I can launch the game and the arc client has blank panes when I try to load it.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

wdarkk posted:

Is something wrong with pw’s servers? The steam client crashes instantly before I can launch the game and the arc client has blank panes when I try to load it.

Apparently there is an identified issue:
https://twitter.com/trekonlinegame/status/1435669206909870080

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe
Don't worry, they also have copy/paste errors in the actual items.

Specifically, according to reddit and the official forums, if you try to use the insta-65 boost it will bring you to the Romulan choose a faction screen, and the character is then stuck there unable to be played because you can't actually choose a faction.

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

g0del posted:

Don't worry, they also have copy/paste errors in the actual items.

Specifically, according to reddit and the official forums, if you try to use the insta-65 boost it will bring you to the Romulan choose a faction screen, and the character is then stuck there unable to be played because you can't actually choose a faction.
That sounds about right.

In other news,

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
They accidentally tweeted this earlier and then deleted it

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will be shocked if it's not lockbox/promo. Hoping it isn't but :cryptic:

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I mean, I wouldn't say no to a lower decks-themed lockbox.

But yeah any canon ship is basically guaranteed to be a promo box or $120 legendary bundle bullshit for maximum profits.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pity, the Calis are set up in-show to have Cmd/Sci/Eng variants, with specialty indicated by the color of the stripe. (No Tactical variant because they're explicitly meant to be support ships with slightly less tactical consideration in their design than an Oberth, but this is STO so they'll be gun toting.) A three-pack would be canonical.

A three-pack would be actually canonical.

I wonder if they're going to have the Parliaments and Calis as a mixable kitbashable thing.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 9, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Lorak posted:

That sounds about right.

In other news,

I don't have the TOS miranda but I did my Fleet Mala up to be a lil scoot scoot.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 9, 2021

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Speaking of extra special cartoony nonsense I keep forgetting what sort of beautiful holocausts the tailor is capable of creating:

It might be an anime character or something

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh, you can play with the TOS miranda parts in the tailor? Awesome! Federation TOS Romulan Bird of Prey, anyone?

For bonus points: the worst ship

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I assure you there are much worse ship kitbashes. At least that one has all its parts connected.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

greasythepirate posted:

They accidentally tweeted this earlier and then deleted it

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh drat that post implies the Lower Decks uniforms will be lockbox too, drat.

Also 'the weapons' which I have no idea about because it's all standard Starfleet. Maybe they just made them all look more cartoony.

Asimo posted:

I assure you there are much worse ship kitbashes. At least that one has all its parts connected.

That's not even a kitbash, it's an as-intended Shi'kar, just has a Discovery hull material.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 9, 2021

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Oh drat that post implies the Lower Decks uniforms will be lockbox too, drat.

Also 'the weapons' which I have no idea about because it's all standard Starfleet. Maybe they just made them all look more cartoony.

That's not even a kitbash, it's an as-intended Shi'kar, just has a Discovery hull material.

The way they've always done it in the past is the uniforms go in the lobi store. So not quite lockbox, but lockbox-adjacent. I don't see anything in the tweet to challenge that. Kit modules, ship weapons, the Parliament, and The Dog will all probably be locked in, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For those wondering, since I saw some people worried in discord: temporal recruits get their transponder during the Welcome to Earth Spacedock quest after reaching the 25th century.

With all the good level-scaling ground gear and space weapons and consoles I've gotten, I spent my level 10 temporal bonus gear thing on space gear. Gave a purple mk 4 shield, engine, deflector, and I think warp core, which are nice - don't think they've yet awarded good level-scaling stuff for those.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

All of these recruiting events make me happy that I picked up the tier 1 enterprise back in the day. 2 auto-leveling beam arrays every time you claim it means not really having to worry at all about space weapons.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Taerkar posted:

All of these recruiting events make me happy that I picked up the tier 1 enterprise back in the day. 2 auto-leveling beam arrays every time you claim it means not really having to worry at all about space weapons.

Yup. Kitted my Sheshar out with those, the domino console for accuracy and phaser damage, the defense satellite for more bonus damage, the t6 risan corvette console for more speed and turn, and the Grissom console for the power transfer bonus, and I'm pretty much set for the moment, and everything scales.

I should probably look and see if any of my other universal consoles from events and z-store ships are applicable.

Stonewalljack
Oct 29, 2008

Cythereal posted:

For those wondering, since I saw some people worried in discord: temporal recruits get their transponder during the Welcome to Earth Spacedock quest after reaching the 25th century.

With all the good level-scaling ground gear and space weapons and consoles I've gotten, I spent my level 10 temporal bonus gear thing on space gear. Gave a purple mk 4 shield, engine, deflector, and I think warp core, which are nice - don't think they've yet awarded good level-scaling stuff for those.

The synthwave event earlier this year gave a scaling space set for shield, engine, deflector, and warp core. They aren’t top of the line but definitely better then random gear while leveling. I used them with my Klingon recruit.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Stonewalljack posted:

The synthwave event earlier this year gave a scaling space set for shield, engine, deflector, and warp core. They aren’t top of the line but definitely better then random gear while leveling. I used them with my Klingon recruit.

I skipped that one because gently caress Discovery/Picard poo poo and that one couldn't be afk soloed. :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Honestly I kind of like using the random quest reward and pick up equipment on my event alts. It's fun to gently caress around with poo poo gear for those early missions and actually enjoy gear progression again.

That said I always toss a T6 ship at them from the get go because eeehhh gently caress going to the space dock every few levels.

NuckmasterJ
Aug 9, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Hey goons, brand new STO player here. I can't believe I've never tried STO before, its pretty decent!

So I got some questions, and this game has no loving answers because it was built in the stone age so hopefully a goon can assist. I started playing last week and my federation character is almost lvl 40, and now theres this temporal stuff going on. I made a new ToS character and at lvl 10 it shoved me into modern time.

Am I supposed to just regrind all the stuff I just played through? Going back to New Romulus is making me twitch.

Why? What rewards are there supposed to be for making a temporal agent character person? (I've been looking around but I just see "Special rewards later, cash shop zen Ooooh Aaaaah"

NuckmasterJ fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 9, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Recruits are there to make you grind. However you snagged the best recruit to be. I would recommend just playing your recruit and redoing all that stuff. The big reward is that when you get 10 reps to tier 5 with them, instead of starting at mk12 and very rare, your rep gear will start at mk13 ultra rare which is a big upgrade. As well you can unlock the Improved Critical Systems trait and for a newer player that's a great trait, it gives you crit and crit sev on using an emergency to x power, and every build uses one.

https://sto.fandom.com/wiki/Temporal_Agent_Recruitment the wiki has the full breakdown of rewards.

greasythepirate
Aug 13, 2016
https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/11497213-the-first-ship-from-lower-decks%21

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

More importantly, everything (uniform, new "special issue" phasers, the T88 Kit module, and traits) according to the blog is going to be in the lobi store. The only thing being added to the Infinity Lockbox is the ship itself, which looks... okay. It's really light on dedicated Tac console slots, but with an X upgrade, you get two universals. I think it looks fun enough. The trait and console don't look over-powered at first glance, but the numbers could be too high before they get nerfed :shrug:

NuckmasterJ posted:

Hey goons, brand new STO player here. I can't believe I've never tried STO before, its pretty decent!

So I got some questions, and this game has no loving answers because it was built in the stone age so hopefully a goon can assist. I started playing last week and my federation character is almost lvl 40, and now theres this temporal stuff going on. I made a new ToS character and at lvl 10 it shoved me into modern time.

Am I supposed to just regrind all the stuff I just played through? Going back to New Romulus is making me twitch.

Why? What rewards are there supposed to be for making a temporal agent character person? (I've been looking around but I just see "Special rewards later, cash shop zen Ooooh Aaaaah"

Once you start to get the hang of it and get some account rewards, the first 50 levels are really pretty quick. Yea, the missions are long and potentially annoying, but understanding how to break the game means you can move fairly quickly. Additionally, post your @handle to get invited to TheNextGooneration, our in-game chat channel, and if someone is on, they'll get you into the Fed Goon Fleet, Starfleet Dental and get you some starting resources.

And yes, the Temporal Recruiting Rewards are absolutely worth it. The rewards for the recruit themselves are some of the best in the game, and the account-unlock rewards are pretty awesome too. The big one is the rep gear quality upgrade, but other stuff like rep marks is a huge head-start for alts.

Wizard of the Deep fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Sep 9, 2021

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

The best I can say for the ship is it is miracle worker and that at least makes it better than most ships in the game but drat it has one hell of an awkward layout.

The new kit looks like it has the potential to be strong depending on the numbers, though the risa kit will remain way easier to get even if this is good.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

2 tac consoles and no lt.com tac seat on a cruiser? Is it 2012?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

bij posted:

2 tac consoles and no lt.com tac seat on a cruiser? Is it 2012?

It's c-store level of stats and power, which is hilarious.