Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

FilthyImp posted:

Dr. Strange's ep really, truly hosed one reality and left Strange Supreme holed up in the M'krann Crystal. Zombies! technically can affect the Multiverse with the infinity gauntlet.

So I'm glad that Spidey made it through. I don't think I can take Zombie Parker in this fashion. The cliffhanger leaves us with a possible Zombie Hulk taking on Zombie Thanos, or maybe will finally pay off that dumb Infinity War thread of "Hulk scared of Thanos" and we get Zombie Apocalypse Warhulk beating down Zombie Thanos.

I think the MCU is going with the idea that the Infinity Stones can't affect other realities outside their own, so Zombie Thanos probably can't gently caress up another reality. That said, I do wonder how Thanos even got zombiefied given he's apparently superhumanely strong on a level comparable (or even superior) to the Hulk, even without the stones. Like, how did anyone even manage to bite him with enough force to penetrate his skin? And how did he not just blast the entire sea of zombies surrounding him to dust with the stones once he realized what was going on?

Also, according to director comments the idea isn't that Hulk is scared of Thanos, it's that he's annoyed at how Banner only calls him out when he's in trouble and basically has no life/agency of his own; something that became especially apparent to him after a year or more on Sakaar as Hulk. It definitely wasn't well communicated though, if that was the idea.

tsob fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
I don't think that it was setting up zombie Thanos to be the problem, but more cured Thanos is gonna instantly know where the mindstone is and no one is left to protect it except for Peter and the Wakandan army. So the Universe is hosed, but as a brightside, Earth probably improves a lot!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Well, people all come back with their injuries intact, so Thanos might simply get cured and then immediately bleed to death from all the chunks of his body that are missing.

That was a good episode! Nothing too stand out but more Bucky is always great stuff. The only issue is, like, the Whedonistic quips happening at every single death, I couldn’t shake the feeling that literally no one was taking this seriously…

But Bucky still making GBS threads on Sam even into Death was awesome.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

tsob posted:

[Latest What If? Episode spoilers]

That said, I do wonder how Thanos even got zombiefied given he's apparently superhumanely strong on a level comparable (or even superior) to the Hulk, even without the stones. Like, how did anyone even manage to bite him with enough force to penetrate his skin?

In Thanos' case, it is probably just a case of progressively stronger people becoming infected until one of them is strong enough to penetrate his skin. Like, if one of the Black Order succumbed, they could probably inflict a wound that could turn Thanos.

I'm more confused by Iron Man, since he's shown getting jumped by normal people even though he was wearing his nanotech suit - which can withstand a moon getting dropped on it. I understand they want to focus the story on different characters each episode and don't want Tony hogging the limelight, but that was some real bullshit.

E: Also, the best part of the episode was when the Wacther said "Oof". It was so nonchalant that I had to rewind to make sure I hadn't imagined it.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 8, 2021

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hulk getting chumped by Thanos and never getting to truly redeem himself is probably the single greatest flaw in the MCU. I understand it’s meant to serve a role, to establish Thanos as this powerful entity, but once you’ve set up “you h this guy can beat the hulk in a 1v1 no sweat” it just means that I absolutely do not feel any tension from any encounter because of course Thanos can win, and essentially that is what happens, everyone gets owned and dies until Captain Marvel shows up and Deus Ex Machina’s the entire thing.

Also this is dumb but this thread is way off about RLM. They really enjoy most of what marvel has to offer and you folks act like they are blatantly misogynistic or racist in their reviews of Marvel and Panther but that’s absolutely not the case, I went in expecting the worst and they approach it with the same evenhanded critique they approach everything.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

I'm more confused by Iron Man, since he's shown getting jumped by normal people even though he was wearing his nanotech suit - which can withstand a moon getting dropped on it. I understand they want to focus the story on different characters each episode and don't want Tony hogging the limelight, but that was some real bullshit.

Yeah, I wondered that also.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, I wondered that also.

Tiny, tiny ant man zombie

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I usually don't skip episodes of shows unless they're a clip episode or occasionally a musical ep, but as soon as I got to the how to survive a zombie apocalypse part I reached the maximum level of I'm out.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

*gasp* How dare you skip a musical episode.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
ReBoot and Buffy are the only two shows with good musical episodes. This is a fact.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
I'm sorry I'm a monster

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

ReBoot and Buffy are the only two shows with good musical episodes. This is a fact.

You forgot Batman: the brave and the bold and their Music Meister episode.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mike the TV posted:

Scrubs

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If that’s true it would be the only good episode of Scrubs.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bust Rodd posted:

The hottest of takes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Wow.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Honestly I’ve got no beef with the entire supporting cast, I just can’t stand Zach Braff , mostly because of Garden State. The rude doctor is a good character

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Scrubs is the mac and cheese of TV. It's not the most amazing thing ever but it's good enough and can be just the thing you're craving at the time.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Mike the TV posted:

Regardless of what people's opinion is of HIMYM, I can't believe you wouldn't include Girls vs. Suits with this.

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!
I liked how the previous episode title was "What if Heavy Handed Metaphor" and this was was just that Simpsons Halloween episode where Bart said "We had a story that was far too intense, so we just threw together something with zombies."

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Seriously one of the most emotional reactions I’ve ever had from a tv show from this episode.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

GigaPeon posted:

I liked how the previous episode title was "What if Heavy Handed Metaphor" and this was was just that Simpsons Halloween episode where Bart said "We had a story that was far too intense, so we just threw together something with zombies."

Don't make me go full Andy Rooney on how we're apparently starting Halloween on September 1st, now.

Also, has anybody every pointed out that the Green Goblin, Spider-Man's most iconic foe, is basically a Halloween themed villain? I know he's supposed to be 'our' Joker...but he throws loving pumpkin bombs.

I loving love it.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SourKraut posted:

Regardless of what people's opinion is of HIMYM, I can't believe you wouldn't include Girls vs. Suits with this.

That wasn't a musical episode, it just had a musical number in it. HIMYM featured a ton of original music, but they never did a full on musical episode.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Bust Rodd posted:

Hulk getting chumped by Thanos and never getting to truly redeem himself is probably the single greatest flaw in the MCU. I understand it’s meant to serve a role, to establish Thanos as this powerful entity, but once you’ve set up “you h this guy can beat the hulk in a 1v1 no sweat” it just means that I absolutely do not feel any tension from any encounter because of course Thanos can win, and essentially that is what happens, everyone gets owned and dies until Captain Marvel shows up and Deus Ex Machina’s the entire thing.

I disagree. Hulk absolutely got to redeem himself against Thanos. Since the first Avengers movie, there was this idea that Banner was cursed with being the Hulk for a reason... but why? So he goes through the different movies trying to be Banner for the sake of using his genius or because he wants to repress his other self and just be human. Hulk only shows up to ruin Banner's day or to be Banner's weapon. Then he meets Thanos and we see that even Hulk has a limit. He's up against someone physically on his level by default, smarter, more experienced and with an artifact that multiplies his strength to a ridiculous degree. The easy win button has met his match.

Banner merges himself to become what fate created him for. We get a nigh-invincible gamma monster with the brain of one of the world's smartest men. His destiny is to undo Thanos' life's work and do it competently. The version of Thanos that kicked his rear end didn't live long enough to see that, but the other one got to spend his final moments stewing in failure.

Anyway, in terms of follow-up to this week's episode, it's simpler than it looks. If they can get that Gauntlet off Thanos, they could just wish the whole outbreak away like that. Sounds hard, but luckily there's a god who's on his way with an overpowered axe and an obsession with using it on Thanos.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Gavok posted:

Anyway, in terms of follow-up to this week's episode, it's simpler than it looks. If they can get that Gauntlet off Thanos, they could just wish the whole outbreak away like that. Sounds hard, but luckily there's a god who's on his way with an overpowered axe and an obsession with using it on Thanos.

Oh yeah Thor and the Guardians of the Galaxy are still alive.

Or are they?

lol if the virus was somehow spread to space via Thanos. I dunno, I love the idea of space zombies.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

After all the talk of Spider-Man dying violently in What-Ifs, I thought he was going to let go of the slingshot but not be able to get out of the way of the train in time.

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

I usually don't skip episodes of shows unless they're a clip episode or occasionally a musical ep, but as soon as I got to the how to survive a zombie apocalypse part I reached the maximum level of I'm out.

I mean, the goofiness of the video was because it was put together by Peter Parker. It felt in very tone with the Favreau movies, but you might still enjoy the rest of the episode after that.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

fractalairduct posted:

After all the talk of Spider-Man dying violently in What-Ifs, I thought he was going to let go of the slingshot but not be able to get out of the way of the train in time.

I mean he has been smacked in the face with a train before

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

That was awesome. I would seriously have enjoyed it if that last episode of What If had been a feature-length movie.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/SjwSpiderman/status/1435777527751061505?t=MhGObJSQ21K-aT7qEGwEZw&s=19

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
One would almost think that The Quartering and other gaters had a problem with women who weren’t traditionally feminine, and men who weren’t white…

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

As someone who was pretty harsh on the first 2 what if episodes I gotta say the recent run of episodes has really redeemed the show. I do still think they could stand to be a bit longer, but 3, 4, and 5 were great! Michael Douglas actually killed it in the VO department which helped elevate #3 and the Dr Strange episode was just super solid, a nice little self contained story with an incredibly dark ending.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Mike the TV posted:

Are we all just forgetting Clone High here

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Community had a musical episode that I really liked. Also, Scrubs is a good show, definitely above average. Its the most accurate show, not just in the sense of medical practice, but in depicting daily life in a hospital. The last season was bad, but it was also a very accurate depiction of medical school.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Mike the TV posted:

Galavant

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It was very embarrassing that in a season of TV where The Flash was touting that it would be doing a musical, it was Once Upon A Time of all the stupid shows that had to step up and tell them "this is how you do a loving musical episode of TV". Show was bad but that ep was good.

Of course, The Magicians had a single song that year and even that was better than the Flash musical.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Argue posted:

It was very embarrassing that in a season of TV where The Flash was touting that it would be doing a musical, it was Once Upon A Time of all the stupid shows that had to step up and tell them "this is how you do a loving musical episode of TV". Show was bad but that ep was good.

Of course, The Magicians had a single song that year and even that was better than the Flash musical.

the Flash/Supergirl crossover musical was simultaneously pretty good (imo) and also the single most disappointing tv musical in history.

how do you have THAT much broadway talent between the two shows and come up with the lackluster poo poo they came up with

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Glee

...It's ok, I'll see myself out

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Community had a musical episode that I really liked. Also, Scrubs is a good show, definitely above average. Its the most accurate show, not just in the sense of medical practice, but in depicting daily life in a hospital. The last season was bad, but it was also a very accurate depiction of medical school.

I’ve always heard that about Scrubs being the most accurate of daily life in a hospital and I just adore that. :allears:

Definitely top 3 of my favorite shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://twitter.com/PhaseZeroCB/status/1435806679321436162

bring it back

and make it even gayer