Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1435706225975496707?s=19

loving laughing at her bring up breaking norms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ASAPI posted:

Everyone needs to read this part:

According to the family the VA of all places prescribed horse drugs. I can't wrap my head around the VA doing this. They are lying, right?

Why do you the Philly Medical Examiner Officer is located right next to the VA Hospital?

My dad actually could have probably gotten some small disability payments, after his time in the Marines, but he never did, as he jokingly put it, "I'd have to let them [the VA] touch me."

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

maffew buildings posted:

drat how much money does LAPD need to stop doing this, there surely is no other solution

Probably a zumwalt per year to each cop

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

I’m not doing that poo poo

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The probable near future: "And in a landmark 5-4 decision, the Conservative Justices, with Chief Justice Roberts dissenting while holding his head in his hands, have formally declared the United States a 'Christian Nation.'"

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Do... Do you jump off from the top?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

So which circuit is doing this and will they be forced to wear their judges robes during it?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Do... Do you jump off from the top?

No, they want you to go up and down 4 times, so you have climbed the same number of floors as were in both towers.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.
jumping off a tower to honor those who jumped off a tower

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Stravag posted:

So which circuit is doing this and will they be forced to wear their judges robes during it?

I see what you did there…

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
How the hell is she "The Honorable?"

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

stealie72 posted:

How the hell is she "The Honorable?"

Counselor to the President is one of like ten million positions to get that style.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/Rjaellis/status/1435714749178675201?s=20

Fun times in Portland

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

keep portland weird lmao

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
silver lining is that more of them will die from it

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

boop the snoot posted:

Some lighter news

I found a reason to cancel Lil Nas X. An ACTUAL scandal.

https://twitter.com/alexwassabi/status/1435361278680133633?s=21

That's hosed up. Unfollowed.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Ok, so if the city can't tell the cops what to do, let's examine who is allowed to tell them what to do.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Their inner morals and god at this point

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Stravag posted:

Their inner morals and god at this point

I don't know which has worse morals, the god they believe in or themselves.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

A Bad Poster posted:

I don't know which has worse morals, the god they believe in or themselves.

But you repeat yourself!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Hear me out, what if we made a Lego wicker man effigy of Donald Trump?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Why not just make a big wicker trump and sell tickets to the burning.

Twigs and branches are cheaper than lego.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

A Bad Poster posted:

Ok, so if the city can't tell the cops what to do, let's examine who is allowed to tell them what to do.

The mayor of Portland is the Police Commissioner

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Lake of Methane posted:

Apparently the Regeneron treatment is free where Joe Rogan lives.

https://twitter.com/GonzalesKristie/status/1435258079701000207

monoclonal antibodies are probably going to be the second element after vaccines that saves us from complete collapse in this whole thing.

Ironically, the research behind the treatment most widely used in texas depended on researchers studying a cell line from aborted fetal tissue.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 9, 2021

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Xpost from TFR but the White House is withdrawing Chipman’s nomination to lead the ATF. The article is short but it says that there was some bipartisan opposition to him; I’m guessing from the Manchin wing of the Democratic Party. Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if they’re pulling Chipman in a bid to get Manchin on board with the infrastructure package.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Xpost from TFR but the White House is withdrawing Chipman’s nomination to lead the ATF. The article is short but it says that there was some bipartisan opposition to him; I’m guessing from the Manchin wing of the Democratic Party. Pure speculation on my part but I wonder if they’re pulling Chipman in a bid to get Manchin on board with the infrastructure package.

I’ll take the trade in a heartbeat. From my understanding he didn’t come off great at his hearing (not quite part that goes up, but similar energy), providing cover for Kelly and Manchin (for different reasons), Chapman being the head agent at Waco (not that I’m on the bandwagon), and him working for giffords, it was really a perfect storm of bad pick.

Edit:

It may have also been Ted Turner….err Angus King (seriously they look kind of similar)

https://twitter.com/eschor/status/1435945520346931205?s=21

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 9, 2021

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

FrozenVent posted:

As a CE thread IK I sometimes have to make hard decisions, such as this one RE fat bear week:

Fat bear content is current events and thus welcome in the CE thread.

If :mcnally: ain’t happy with that he can

Yeah, only a couple more weeks!

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

https://youtu.be/9ix7TUGVYIo

Ok I’m cautiously hyped for this

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I’ll take the trade in a heartbeat. From my understanding he didn’t come off great at his hearing (not quite part that goes up, but similar energy), providing cover for Kelly and Manchin (for different reasons), Chapman being the head agent at Waco (not that I’m on the bandwagon), and him working for giffords, it was really a perfect storm of bad pick.

Edit:

It may have also been Ted Turner….err Angus King (seriously they look kind of similar)

https://twitter.com/eschor/status/1435945520346931205?s=21

I quibbled with someone in discord this morning about his working with giffords. How is working for a non-profit dedicated to ending gun violence after someone tried to assassinate a us senator a bad thing for a nominee to head the agency in charge of guns?

I won't argue that he may be poo poo for other reasons. I don't know anything about him. I do not believe that working for Giffords is a bad thing on the resume of the head of the ATF, though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It’s so weird. I watched and had no reaction or connection to it. Like no excitement. It’s odd.

Like I’m sure the action will be nice and all, but I just can’t force myself to even care.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I quibbled with someone in discord this morning about his working with giffords.

*snicker*

;)

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

The blue pills are memes

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boop the snoot posted:

The blue pills are memes

Honestly with the term red pilling and the last time I saw these movies I can’t even remember which gets you out of the matrix anymore.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I quibbled with someone in discord this morning about his working with giffords. How is working for a non-profit dedicated to ending gun violence after someone tried to assassinate a us senator a bad thing for a nominee to head the agency in charge of guns?

I won't argue that he may be poo poo for other reasons. I don't know anything about him. I do not believe that working for Giffords is a bad thing on the resume of the head of the ATF, though.

Because people heading up big federal agencies shouldn't, nominally anyway, bring their outside agenda to it. His job at the BATFE would be to run the BATFE well and follow their mandate.

His example is just more egregious than others.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Honestly with the term red pilling and the last time I saw these movies I can’t even remember which gets you out of the matrix anymore.

Neither of them.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

CainFortea posted:

Because people heading up big federal agencies shouldn't, nominally anyway, bring their outside agenda to it.

I am being a pedantic nuanced jerk here but in 2021, following science and fact-based evidence and decision making is a political agenda.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

facialimpediment posted:

Oh hey Pauline Bauer is back

With a 114-page motion to dismiss

I made it a sentence before my brain short-circuited, which means see you after I read 114 pages

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1435661762452393991?s=19

Edit: DON'T SKIP THE COVER PAGE OR YOU'RE A PAULINE BAUER-VESSEL

I always enjoy how close these people come to getting it then veer hard right into a brick wall.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I honestly don't know tons about Chipman so just second hand info but my SRA / Leftist gun-type people did not want Chipman involved because of his role in Waco. I haven't heard any other critiques of him related to anything else.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

CainFortea posted:

Because people heading up big federal agencies shouldn't, nominally anyway, bring their outside agenda to it.
Genuine question: why? Hell: how?? Literally everyone has an "agenda" and the status quo at various agencies is just an amalgam of decades of folks coming in with one particular agenda or another (plus pressure being applied from the outside).

I don't think that anyone here would complain about someone outspoken on counteracting climate change taking the top role at the EPA with an "agenda". We would complain, though, that some loving coal baron got the spot. Making the complaint that "federal agency heads shouldn't have priorities that deviate from the status quo" seems just a (perhaps unknowingly) dishonest way to guise the real complaint, which is with their proposed policy shifts.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

MazelTovCocktail posted:

It’s so weird. I watched and had no reaction or connection to it. Like no excitement. It’s odd.

Like I’m sure the action will be nice and all, but I just can’t force myself to even care.

Well, bad news, that means you’re either real old or simply too young.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Good that the government is recognizing that it's vaccine mandate time, no more half-measure bullshit.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1435946452430295043?s=19