Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I learned several tries and hundreds of hours in- it doesn't matter how perfect your starting system is. It's never intended to be the center of you production system once you go interstellar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Wafflecopper posted:

The good news is that even if your starter system is beyond fixing you can just fly to another system and start over but with more tech

I dont know how any system is beyond fixing, unless you have wasted a ton of raw materials on things you don't need. You can just deconstruct everything and shove them into crates and then rebuild better.

Khorne
May 1, 2002
I... like soil piles because it stops me from paving over every single world and encourages me to build around terrain and also destroy some more mountainous planets.

My only wish is they'd raise the limit. Which they might have done, because I haven't played in a while.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Olothreutes posted:

That is good. My starter system sorta sucks. I have four total planets (technically two are moons) with less than 2 million titanium among them. Maybe I don't need very much of it?

You do not need very much titanium. The resource usage in DSP is VERY uneven. You're going to need absolute boatloads of iron, silicon and hydrogen compared to other resources like copper, coal and titanium. You need oil in order to progress, but once you're officially out of your starter system your need for oil plummets thanks to alternate recipes.

I'm hoping they balance it out more as they release more content and give these other resources more uses.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Starter systems suck on purpose, ore veins are smaller, there are no rare resources (except fire ice once in a blue moon). There are certainly better starter systems than others but no starter system is going to be as good as one that's 5 LY away. Your goal is to set up warper production such that you can sustainably move resources between stars, then you will get your pick of the finest star systems to serve as your main hub.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I would agree. I have to break myself of the habit of thinking of the starter world as my main base.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

The biggest obstacles you will face trying to clean slate an entire system (and the reason I eventually gave up on it) are titanium and copper.

I do like how items like graphite and hydrogen go in and out as part of your scheme, such as hydrogen going from desperate need (red cubes) to byproduct to store/dispose (oil refining) to desperate need again (casimir crystals) to possibly the most finicky to balance resource in supply/demand.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Give me a vanity project to fill in the canyons and fissures of a lava world with copper ingots, gradually creating a molten-copper ocean

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LonsomeSon posted:

Give me a vanity project to fill in the canyons and fissures of a lava world with copper ingots, gradually creating a molten-copper ocean

I wrapped an entire world in large containers and made it the copper ingot depository. To make it extra silly, there is just one ring of conveyor up at the poles, and it filters down to the equator from box to box.

I gave up on it when I realized what an incredible pain in the rear end it would be to change it from storage mode to supply mode.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

GD_American posted:

I wrapped an entire world in large containers and made it the copper ingot depository. To make it extra silly, there is just one ring of conveyor up at the poles, and it filters down to the equator from box to box.

I gave up on it when I realized what an incredible pain in the rear end it would be to change it from storage mode to supply mode.

Just put a new supply tower on the equator?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Tamba posted:

Just put a new supply tower on the equator?

:doh:

actually I think part of the self-challenge was minimum waste and I would have had to juggle several hundred thousand ingots and just didn't bother. But that is a good idea.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I'd like differently-sized planets.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Cimber posted:

I dont know how any system is beyond fixing, unless you have wasted a ton of raw materials on things you don't need. You can just deconstruct everything and shove them into crates and then rebuild better.

Yeah, I meant more “too much effort to fix”

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Still waiting for the Deconstruction Exterminatus Tower

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Phanatic posted:

I'd like differently-sized planets.
I doubt you’re going to see them because I remember the devs saying that would break the blueprint system.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

GD_American posted:

I learned several tries and hundreds of hours in- it doesn't matter how perfect your starting system is. It's never intended to be the center of you production system once you go interstellar.

I just started a new game yesterday and my starting seed was absolute garbage - very little iron or silicon, but then I remembered that by the time I get warpers automated, that just means burying one of the useless planets by hiding all their veins will just make my production planet easier to build up.

Also still playing on infinite resource mode because I don't want to deal with vein depletion and honestly it's still a challenge just trying to manage your per second flows even if the veins never deplete.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

By the time you start really throwing white cubes at vein utilization, it becomes a non-issue even in a normal game. At worst, you'd have to move around some mining after letting your PC play 24/7 for a few months

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I've always wanted to change the Icarus' color.

quote:

[Version 0.8.21.8562]
Features:
The model of Icarus was remade. It now has high-resolution body modeling and textures!
Now Icarus has more colorways. You can press C to open the Body Panel to change the color scheme.
Added jump animation for Icarus.
Added 6 different standby animations for Icarus.
Added 4 sub-types of gas giants (gas giants that have not been reached in the old version savedata may become new sub-types of gas giants after the update)
Added 1 new main type of gas giants. It produces hydrogen/deuterium at 84%/16% (It can only be visible in the new game)
Added 1 atmosphere sub-type for Arid Desert (Arid Desert that has not been reached in the old version savedata may have the new atmosphere sub-type after the update)
Added 9 types of rocks and 9 types of gravel decoration to the planet Ashen Gelisol (Ashen Gelisol that has not been reached in the old version savedata may have the new types of rocks and decorations after the update)
Added LOD1 / LOD2 rendering levels for Matrix Lab. The rendering frame rate will be improved on planets with dense Matrix Labs.
Added LOD1 / LOD2 for Fractionator. The rendering frame rate will be improved on planets with dense Fractionators.
Added LOD1 / LOD2 render levels for Solar Panels. The rendering frame rate will be improved on planets with dense of Solar Panels.
Remade Space capsule model and textures.

Changes:
Optimized the Icarus animation blending.
Optimized the steering controlling when Icarus running and flying.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I haven't played this game in forever but sort of got the itch recently, if I load up my old save (from like February I think) will it still work or do I need to start a new game?

Please don't tell me that I should just start a new game anyway I just want to know if my old save will work because idk if I want to dedicate another 50 hours to get back to where I left off right now.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The update did not mention needing a new save.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

IcePhoenix posted:

I haven't played this game in forever but sort of got the itch recently, if I load up my old save (from like February I think) will it still work or do I need to start a new game?

Please don't tell me that I should just start a new game anyway I just want to know if my old save will work because idk if I want to dedicate another 50 hours to get back to where I left off right now.

It *should* work I think, but you'll be missing some changes like new planet types and such.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Ice Fist posted:

It *should* work I think, but you'll be missing some changes like new planet types and such.

And I _think_ he's also going to be missing some of the other stuff from the April/May updates as well?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ty friends I'll look up the changes and see if I need to just bite the bullet and make a new save anyway if I'm not gonna get all the new stuff

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Anytime a game is in Early Access, always start a new save after major updates. Who knows if they even test compatibility with old saves, nothing worse than working on an old save and then hours in, the game blows up.

RVT
Nov 5, 2003
I'm using a planet mostly covered in solar panels that charges batteries, then exports those batteries to other worlds to provide most of my power. Any systematic tips to not letting empty batteries back up? I had a case recently where new empty batteries I was injecting into the system caused a backlog. The dischargers couldn't discharge because there was no room to put the empty batteries in the tower and it started choking off my power production on my main world.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
well, the amount of batteries you have charged+uncharged remains constant if you don't add more, so don't make more and export all empty batteries back to the charging planet! Just plop down a interstellar logistic station on your charging planet for each planet you're distributing energy to, and you should always have enough storage space. Or, cheaper, build a couple of large containers as a buffer on your charging planet.

If you build up a new planet just add a couple of thousand batteries and an extra tower, and you should always have enough space.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I wish there was an infinite research to get more total power draw out of Ray receivers, in addition to the efficiency research. I have multiple manufacuring planets where the entire poles are covered with them, and I'm still getting power shortages. (And before you ask, they are orbiting a 1TW dyson sphere, they barely dent total output)

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
I have to say, having played the game with earlier patches and then restarting again to take advantage of the new features, that the first part of the game now is a pain in the butt slog.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

BadMedic posted:

I wish there was an infinite research to get more total power draw out of Ray receivers, in addition to the efficiency research. I have multiple manufacuring planets where the entire poles are covered with them, and I'm still getting power shortages. (And before you ask, they are orbiting a 1TW dyson sphere, they barely dent total output)

Isn't that just photon generation mode? I don't think you're supposed to use ray receivers for power directly after photon generation becomes available, since you get a 5x power boost per receiver if you use them to create antimatter fuel rods instead. I can agree though that it's sort of silly that it works that way.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

BadMedic posted:

Photon mode -> Antimatter fuel rods -> Artificial Suns at 75 MW each and you can plop those down anywhere you set a tower up at

120 hours into this new playthrough and I've got vein utilization up to like level 30 now, spent the past day or two expanding my cube production to 30/s. My goal with this playthrough is to slowly but surely take everything that was on my starting planet and move it all off-world to return it to as pristine a condition as possible (though obviously things like land reclaimed from the ocean can't be reversed))

Shipon fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Sep 28, 2021

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

RVT posted:

I'm using a planet mostly covered in solar panels that charges batteries, then exports those batteries to other worlds to provide most of my power. Any systematic tips to not letting empty batteries back up? I had a case recently where new empty batteries I was injecting into the system caused a backlog. The dischargers couldn't discharge because there was no room to put the empty batteries in the tower and it started choking off my power production on my main world.

I don't remember exactly what my setup was, but I did something similar. My solution was to have new battery construction and empty battery reclamation both feed into the charging loop inputs, prioritizing the used battery feed. This meant that used batteries got brought in for charging first, and new batteries only entered the network if there was space for them on the conveyers. It's fine if new battery production backs up, it's not fine if empty batteries get backed up (as you've discovered)

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
Speaking of batteries, someone mentioned a pretty neat trick to build an excess H2/graphene eater - apparently the power discharge takes top priority so if you have an isolated grid that's constantly eating whatever excess is fed into it you can put an accumulator there to charge up batteries and discharge them into your main grid, then loop back to repeat. You do need a few solar panels on it just to make sure that the sorters can start up from a cold-start if you haven't had excess products, but that's not an issue really

Sure ideally I'd have that hydrogen going elsewhere but you know how difficult it can be to get the ratio exactly right so, say, your oil refineries don't get backed up now and then.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug

Shipon posted:

Photon mode -> Antimatter fuel rods -> Artificial Suns at 75 MW each and you can plop those down anywhere you set a tower up at

Yeah I get that. But I'm fairly certain that if I covered every planet in the system with boosted ray receivers I still wouldn't max out my spheres power output.

The answer to "Can God build a dyson sphere so powerful even he couldn't use all of it?" is "Yes, and so can you".

And that sorta annoys me. IDK, let me build some sort of orbital mega ray receiver around planets to draw even more power.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I think that's a problem of the mixed story metaphor. Are we sending white cube hashes or Dyson sphere power home? Or both?

Milky Way implies the power is the more important thing to beam home so I guess it would make sense in game that you don't use all of it to be able beam it home.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

BadMedic posted:

Yeah I get that. But I'm fairly certain that if I covered every planet in the system with boosted ray receivers I still wouldn't max out my spheres power output.

The answer to "Can God build a dyson sphere so powerful even he couldn't use all of it?" is "Yes, and so can you".

And that sorta annoys me. IDK, let me build some sort of orbital mega ray receiver around planets to draw even more power.

You can fit a hell of a lot of ray receivers on a planet if you have nothing else on it really, and since it takes at perfect efficiency 4 to use 1 GW of power, you can definitely use up a full TW if not more

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Achievements are enabled, get to flurrying through a handful of them on your current saves!

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
TGS Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6xHlPki-jE

Looks like we're finally get to see what the combat will be like soon-ish.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Looking forward to having my construction planet constantly bombarding the sun and my defense planet constantly blasting space invaders.

Considering how precarious the first interstellar stuff feels, needing to clear biters will either be cool or awful.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I have a lot of confidence in this team, everything they've done so far has been top notch. The blueprints system is incredible and even the integration of the achievements into the game UI is something that a lot of games could learn from. They also seem to be maintaining an impressive development pace towards full release. The game already feels pretty complete but combat will be a good excuse for a second playthrough. Can't wait!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Jagged Jim posted:

TGS Trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6xHlPki-jE

Looks like we're finally get to see what the combat will be like soon-ish.

"Check the time. 8 o'clock is suddenly 9 o'clock. Ah, what a productive 25 hours."