Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

Gonna travel back in time to 2008 and tell people the next three presidents will be Obama, Trump, and Bernie, just so they can be extra angry when 2020 happens.

when the first three elections happen exactly as you say, biden drops out of contention to support sanders and be on the right side of history

also butterfly effect etc etc covid has a 90% death rate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Echo Chamber posted:

Gonna travel back in time to 2008 and tell people the next three presidents will be Obama, Trump, and Bernie, just so they can be extra angry when 2020 happens.

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Tubgoat posted:

I'd kill Edward Bernays like any responsible human.

(In the Adam Curtis voice) But then something strange happened. PR executives arose in the thousands in continents throughout the world, hundreds of years before their emergence in our previous timeline...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Judakel posted:

sense8 was garbage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH6BGcxIykM

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

i say swears online posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIjAXVIIhY

bizarre interview. i like mulaney, but is this a man on the upswing or a messy bitch who says he's good now and then immediately gets someone pregnant

drat his ex wife must have sucked bad

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

drat his ex wife must have sucked bad

"Annamarie Tendler (born June 9, 1985),[1] known professionally as Anna Marie Tendler, is an American artist known for her work in the fields of makeup and hairstyling as well as textile crafts, with a notable specialty in handmade lampshades.[2]

According to an interview with Architectural Digest, Tendler studied hairstyling at Vidal Sassoon and the Make-up Designory after graduating from high school, and then studied photography at Parsons School of Design before dropping out.[3][4] She received her bachelor's degree from The New School in writing and psychology. In 2018, she began pursuing a MA degree from NYU Steinhardt in costume studies."

the waves of smug radiate from my screen

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Every chapter has a Q&A where he answers the dumbest fan questions and he just says whatever the hell he wants and it's great. That's also where we first got confirmation that every part of Luffy stretches, that Zoro can speak with a sword in his mouth because he speaks with his heart, and that all the clouds he draws in the manga are actually his farts.

disgusted drake: i dont think about whether ranma can get pregnant and neither should you

approving drake: buggy does indeed have the power to detach his penis from the rest of his body and send it flying wherever he wants

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

Tubgoat posted:

I'd kill Edward Bernays like any responsible human.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Tubgoat posted:

I'd kill Henry Kissinger like any responsible human.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i say swears online posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRIjAXVIIhY

bizarre interview. i like mulaney, but is this a man on the upswing or a messy bitch who says he's good now and then immediately gets someone pregnant

Why are people so angry at him for laying pipe?

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
because for some reason, legions of people have developed a parasocial relationship with a stand up comedian, and have created an 'uwu softboy' image of them in their mind and get REALLY mad when that doesnt line up with reality

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
This is like those parents that get upset when voice actors or actors of their kids' favorite shows do R-rated stuff in other media or real life.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Because Tugg Romney is a good mormon boy and wouldn't do that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGwY62p6xbE

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

DesertIslandHermit posted:

This is like those parents that get upset when voice actors or actors of their kids' favorite shows do R-rated stuff in other media or real life.

Bob Saget noo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

incel/pedophile bob saget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dv0O_Qrwm0

edit drat this has some cumtown-rear end jokes lol

watching a few vids he seems like if ben from parks and rec did coke

i say swears online has issued a correction as of 06:48 on Sep 9, 2021

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

lol cspam when they read dnd

Serf
May 5, 2011

well it's here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ix7TUGVYIo

i mean why not. what's the worst that can happen

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Serf posted:

well it's here

I’m fully on board this looks like the kind of trippy 90s pulp sci fi that made me fall in love with the genre

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Serf posted:

well it's here

So is this basically the first movie again? More power to them if it makes a lot of money and I'm glad Carrie Ann Moss is back from Hollywood's middle aged limbo, but this doesn't hint at a new story.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Actually like how the John Wick looks works with this. Everyone had to look so goddamn clean in the 90s and 00s. This, he looks like someone interesting.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Eric Cantonese posted:

So is this basically the first movie again? More power to them if it makes a lot of money and I'm glad Carrie Ann Moss is back from Hollywood's middle aged limbo, but this doesn't hint at a new story.
I feel the last scene does hint at a new story; finding out why he/they went back in. Definitely leaning hard on the original in the trailer though.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
*listening to Beethoven’s fifth* so this is basically the first movement again?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Randomly reminded of Birds of Prey where it's implied Black Mask is a Clintonite, because there's absolutely no one else in the world who'd hate Harley Quinn because she voted for Bernie Sanders

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Randomly reminded of Birds of Prey where it's implied Black Mask is a Clintonite, because there's absolutely no one else in the world who'd hate Harley Quinn because she voted for Bernie Sanders

what? how is Harley eligible to vote isn’t she an escaped prisoner, also why would she vote for Sanders and why would Black Mask vote for Clinton lol

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Serf posted:

well it's here

Maybe the last several years of blockbusters have put my expectations in the toilet, but this looks way more appealing than I'd expected. The angle they seem to be going for is that Neo and Trinity were somehow re-inserted into the Matrix and don't remember their past lives or it's some kind of new iteration of the Matrix/alternate timeline where there are ghosts in the machine because the events of the previous version weren't totally overwritten. You can do a lot of neat character work with that framing so it's promising at least. Keanu shines as an actor when he's unsure and in a haze like the first Matrix or A Scanner Darkly so it's a smart decision.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
yeah I like that it’s a story about two people and doesn’t seem concerned with “The Matrix” - all that poo poo is just m happening in the background of a love story

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Maybe the last several years of blockbusters have put my expectations in the toilet, but this looks way more appealing than I'd expected. The angle they seem to be going for is that Neo and Trinity were somehow re-inserted into the Matrix and don't remember their past lives or it's some kind of new iteration of the Matrix/alternate timeline where there are ghosts in the machine because the events of the previous version weren't totally overwritten. You can do a lot of neat character work with that framing so it's promising at least. Keanu shines as an actor when he's unsure and in a haze like the first Matrix or A Scanner Darkly so it's a smart decision.

Yeah, right now at least it looks pretty appealing to me based on that. They get to hit some of the story beats that worked in the first movie, but with the added layer of deja vu on top because both they and the audience have already experienced the first movies. It's an interesting take and will hopefully get away from some of the pitfalls of the second and third movies by getting back to a smaller story about a few people engaging with the Matrix/reality conundrum

anyway it looks like it'll be free on HBO Max so there's no reason not to watch it

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they met with Keanu and said "we want to make another matrix" and he was like "ok but i'm not cutting my hair."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
also the added layer of the last 10 years of Culture War. I’ll be shocked if redpilling isn’t addressed somehow

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

indigi posted:

what? how is Harley eligible to vote isn’t she an escaped prisoner, also why would she vote for Sanders and why would Black Mask vote for Clinton lol

why would harley being eligible to vote matter at all to her actually voting

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

indigi posted:

also the added layer of the last 10 years of Culture War. I’ll be shocked if redpilling isn’t addressed somehow

the shrink scenes definitely give the impression that keanus going to be treated as a bad person or at bare minimum crazy if he doesnt regularly gobble down his blue pills

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I'll reserve judgement, ultimately, and I'm not going to pretend I won't see it, but I don't think it's a great sign that one of the Wachowskis chose to bow out of getting involved with this one.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Falstaff posted:

I'll reserve judgement, ultimately, and I'm not going to pretend I won't see it, but I don't think it's a great sign that one of the Wachowskis chose to bow out of getting involved with this one.

quote:

"[Lana] had come up with this idea for another Matrix movie, and we had this talk, and it was actually — we started talking about it in between [our] dad dying and [our] mom dying, which was like five weeks apart," Lilly said. "And there was something about the idea of going backward and being a part of something that I had done before that was expressly unappealing. And, like, I didn't want to have gone through my transition and gone through this massive upheaval in my life, the sense of loss from my mom and dad, to want to go back to something that I had done before, and sort of [walk] over old paths that I had walked in, felt emotionally unfulfilling, and really the opposite — like I was going to go back and live in these old shoes, in a way. And I didn't want to do that."

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I can see it working thematically if Lana really dials into the identity problems that are inherent in the franchise. You have a main character with an innate sense that everything feels wrong/artificial and him coming to grips with yet another identity being foisted upon him. Then even that doesn't actually reflect reality, and he can only find peace by reconciling all these disparate aspects of himself and the world. If this is a new iteration of the Matrix program then she could do some neat hauntology stuff too what with this promised revolution/reconciliation between humans and machines having been rolled back. That's a separate theme from the identity stuff but there's a lot to work with.

Sense8 dealt with a lot of these themes really well but mostly I enjoyed that show for how ludicrously expensive it was and how attractive the cast was

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Some Guy TT posted:

the shrink scenes definitely give the impression that keanus going to be treated as a bad person or at bare minimum crazy if he doesnt regularly gobble down his blue pills

given her express opinions on the subject I don’t think Lana’s going to portray “taking the red pill” as some unambiguously good thing. I think it could be presented along the lines of another betrayal/trick or false hope/false binary. something like this maybe

MeatwadIsGod posted:

If this is a new iteration of the Matrix program then she could do some neat hauntology stuff too what with this promised revolution/reconciliation between humans and machines having been rolled back.

he took the red pill and here he still is, having his strings pulled

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Too bad Hugo Weaving isn't in this one, I half-expected the trailer to end with a "It's been a long time... Mr. Anderson" or something along those lines.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
he was gonna be in it but Lana didn’t want to delay filming so he could finish up his other movie

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
RIP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J_3yJx7v88

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

indigi posted:

As said, both are criminals. And there's explicitly a scene where Harley goes over the reasons Black Mask would want to kill her just on principle and that she voted for Bernie Sanders is one of them

And Black Mask is a somewhat Bateman-esque wealthy corporate freakjob, despite being coded as extremely misogynistic I find the idea of him being a hardcore #StillWithHer both plausible and hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
the scene where everyone on their phone seems to imply that there's going to be a "social media is the REAL matrix" angle, like black mirror or some poo poo, and i am loving it