Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

MikeJF posted:

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

*scoffs in JJ Abrams*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The problem is it comes off like Voyager's big fancy "failed" super-warp drives, where it fundamentally works, but by some arbitrary measure it fails so the whole thing has to be shelved and forgotten, so sayeth the Captain/Creator.

You know they'd gotten it by me in Threshold until you pointed it out. Tom Paris went Warp 10 and they say a bunch of times could be anywhere in the universe, but they give up on the transwarp drive because he turns into a lizard a few hours later. Which is a condition the holodoctor knows how to cure!

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Anyone watch the new 4K remasters of the TOS movies yet? Dunno if the Blu-Rays are officially out yet, but the :filez: are.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

You know they'd gotten it by me in Threshold until you pointed it out. Tom Paris went Warp 10 and they say a bunch of times could be anywhere in the universe, but they give up on the transwarp drive because he turns into a lizard a few hours later. Which is a condition the holodoctor knows how to cure!

What if the holodoctor evolves into a hololizard? Did you think of that? See, that's why you're not a writer on Star Trek: Voyager.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dabir posted:

What if the holodoctor evolves into a hololizard? Did you think of that? See, that's why you're not a writer on Star Trek: Voyager.

Well don't send the whole ship just send Tom Paris to Earth with a note pinned to him like "Hey if I'm a lizard, here's how to fix lizarditis also Voyager is in the Delta quadrant and we figured out Warp 10"

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
if you had a trans warp lizard baby with a member of the crew you wouldn't want to touch that engine with a 10 lightyear pole

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Janeway voice "We all go or we don't go! That's the Starfleet way!"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PostNouveau posted:

It's very much a recurring thing in Voyager. The predominant issue being, "[Super-Warp Drive of The Week] works, but not well enough to get us to Earth in a single use". And may or may not have shaved a good chunk of their journey off before being put away for being defective.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Having the entire crew turn into lizards and only be able to be turned back into people assuming everything goes right is a terrible plan.

The EMH could go offline. That's happen before. Maybe the cure doesn't work on vulcans. It was only tested on humans. Perhaps they can theoretically be anywhere and everywhere, but in order to actually pick a target to go to they have to travel slower than infinite speed, as is suggested by the fact that there is obvious travel time in the delta flyer and it takes voyager a few days to find them when paris steals it. Perhaps there are long term effects of the cure or the lizardification that are not yet known.

like, there's lots of rational reasons to shelve that technology.

Also it would have ended the show.

PostNouveau posted:

Well don't send the whole ship just send Tom Paris to Earth with a note pinned to him like "Hey if I'm a lizard, here's how to fix lizarditis also Voyager is in the Delta quadrant and we figured out Warp 10"

Hadn't they already made contact with starfleet by this time?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

To be fair about Threshold, they never addressed navigating the drat thing or making it come out where you want. Most of the universe isn't very close to earth.

My favourite is the coaxial warp drive, where the alien had it couldn't make it work but then that fixed it but then... other stuff happened and they never actually got around to even saying "oh no we can't use this because [x]", at the end of the episode they seemingly had a perfectly functional super-warp drive fitted onto one of their shuttles.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Sep 9, 2021

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
In Modern Trek Threshold, warp 10 would permanently break the brain of the pilot and make them like, unstuck in time and space. They would babble mysterious things at the end of the episode that would lead toward the big bad, and during the finale, when the ship is being attacked by time unstuck Borg, they would bravely take up arms and recover for no reason except its dramatic, and they also know all the secrets on how to defeat the Time Borg, and pew pew pew, kabloom! Ratatatatata!!! Booweeee!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Neelix is secretly sabotaging every new engine tech so he can eke out another few precious years with his "friends"

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I feel like the logical conclusion to Voyager’s lack of giving a poo poo would be to make it back to earth in a random episode full of fanfare, and have the very next one be back in the delta quadrant without explanation lol

Maybe they do that multiple times

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CainFortea posted:

Hadn't they already made contact with starfleet by this time?

No that doesn't happen til season 6 and Pathfinder. Starfleet only knows Voyager's in the Delta Quadrant from the Doctor turning up on the USS Prometheus.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
Ensign Suder is canonically the same serial killer played by the same actor in Child's Play. He even finally turns good at the end :shobon:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

HD DAD posted:

I feel like the logical conclusion to Voyager’s lack of giving a poo poo would be to make it back to earth in a random episode full of fanfare, and have the very next one be back in the delta quadrant without explanation lol

Maybe they do that multiple times

Didn't they cold-open to being home for a year once and then it was a fakeout or simulation or some poop? Am I making up trauma plots?

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Brawnfire posted:

Didn't they cold-open to being home for a year once and then it was a fakeout or simulation or some poop? Am I making up trauma plots?

Timeless?

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Oh yeah baby :fap:

Time to get disappointed by those rose-tinted glasses. Well, except Away Team, that always sucked.

Starfleet Command games were all fun although 3 was really dumbed down

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

The one where Harry Kim wakes up on earth, and he's got a cool life, but he feels bad because his friend wound up on Voyager so he tracks down Tom Paris on Earth and they do superscience to send him back?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I would make up a story like that for my superiors like once a week.

Yeah, I did battle with the Time Demons that only I can see again last night. It was all in an alternate dimension though so there's no physical proof. Anyway I saved the whole universe. Give me another medal.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Should they won't even promote him to lieutenant JG. He's not getting a medal

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Getting a promotion on Voyager would be kind of meaningless anyways.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Eighties ZomCom posted:

Getting a promotion on Voyager would be kind of meaningless anyways.

They made a big show of demoting and promoting Tom Paris though! Perhaps they only did it because they knew Harry was watching

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I'm the long lost episode where Neelix trains to become an ensign and takes Harry's post and the ship notably improves in all it's encounters.

B plot: Harry learns to clone his own flesh in a vat, and has great success serving kim burgers to the crew until Tuvok develops an addiction.

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer
The main thing to remember about Threshold is that the writer also wrote the screenplay for In the Mouth of Madness

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mrs. Dash posted:

Starfleet Command games were all fun although 3 was really dumbed down

If you liked SFC games there is a good chance you will also like the Star Trek Online. It is basically SFC 4 married to KOTOR and it is free to play.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

The main thing to remember about Threshold is that the writer also wrote the screenplay for In the Mouth of Madness

I... wait... I refuse to believe that. Was his script like massively re-written, to take out all the awesome elder gods stuff seen in warp 10 or something?

Is a new take on innsmouth, I guess.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
uh, that's an odd take. he wrote a screenplay. that doesn't somehow mean he is lovecraft himself.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What rank is O Brian? I thought he was a non commissioned Chief of Engineering.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Hollismason posted:

What rank is O Brian? I thought he was a non commissioned Chief of Engineering.

Chief of all Suffering

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In TNG he's Transporter Chief, in DS9 he's Chief of Operations, and in both his rank is probably Chief Petty Officer.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Imagine being the only non-commissioned officer in the entire fleet.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's a funny meme, but Starship Down establishes that O'Brien's engineering team on the Defiant are enlisted NCOs.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

uh, that's an odd take. he wrote a screenplay. that doesn't somehow mean he is lovecraft himself.

Pretty sure that's exactly how screenplay writing work. :colbert:

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Worf's abusive Russian stepfather called O'Brien a chief peety officer

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They're Belarusian

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
4K TMP is neat in that 'wow look at the computer panels and :lol: the bathrobe texture on McCoy's disco tracksuit' but it feels like they used some kind of weird filter on it or something at points because you really notice in this print how out-of-focus the background is, like a phone with a bad portrait mode. Of course, some of that might be my not having seen TMP since I got a projector and a big fuckoff 12' screen. :getin:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Imagined posted:

4K TMP is neat in that 'wow look at the computer panels and :lol: the bathrobe texture on McCoy's disco tracksuit' but it feels like they used some kind of weird filter on it or something at points because you really notice in this print how out-of-focus the background is, like a phone with a bad portrait mode. Of course, some of that might be my not having seen TMP since I got a projector and a big fuckoff 12' screen. :getin:

The "unrestored" 75 MM print of 2001: A Space Odyssey is like that too. Like, a big chunk of the Dawn of Man sequence is straight up out of focus.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's a deliberate effect, they had to use fancy cameras and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
The last act, the confrontation with V'ger, is goddamn gorgeous in 4K on a big screen.