Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

LesterGroans posted:

It is just generally kinda funny that the only surviving member of the main three from the original movies is the only one not coming back.

Morpheus is a character that has no purpose in 2 and 3 - he's like if Obi-Wan somehow survived A New Hope and just kinda stood around in the other Star Wars movies. I mean, the Matrix sequels have other faults, but it shows you how the Wachowskis never planned on making sequels to the Matrix because you have lots of strange hanging threads that don't make sense and were kinda shoehorned in.

It was cool that he got to fight that Agent in the 2nd one though.

I'm not expecting Matrix 4 to be good necessarily, but it will at least be interesting because most everything the Wachowskis do is interesting, even if a good percentage doesn't really land the execution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Mike N Eich posted:

Morpheus is a character that has no purpose in 2 and 3 - he's like if Obi-Wan somehow survived A New Hope and just kinda stood around in the other Star Wars movies. I mean, the Matrix sequels have other faults, but it shows you how the Wachowskis never planned on making sequels to the Matrix because you have lots of strange hanging threads that don't make sense and were kinda shoehorned in.

It was cool that he got to fight that Agent in the 2nd one though.

Yeah and I know the movie has Resurrections in the title but it still stands out that the two who absolutely 100% on screen no ambiguity passed on are the ones in this while the one that didn't die is not.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I’m loving the theorycrafting we have going on, I’m just positively giddy that there’s a new Matrix movie coming out.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I just hope this one is as super duper trans and general queer too.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
The problem with the matrix sequels is that the plot drifted away from man vs machine and instead got derailed by agent smith has gone rogue and is gonna take over the matrix! I kinda hate that they even brought him back in the sequels.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Everyone who has read the leaked script has been saying it’s utterly bonkers and inventive and will probably be quite divisive.

I’m awkwardly trying to look for what people are saying about it without any spoilers whatsoever. Extremely dangerous game

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Jimbot posted:

I have a theory that's completely off the wall!

Neo is going to turn at the camera and state "I am The Matrix", it'll cut to another angle and there will be another, younger Neo and he'd be all "woah". Then it'd cut to another angle and a young Arnold Schwarzenegger will be there and he'd be all "I am John Matrix" then it'd cut to another angle and Bill Duke will be there and yell "This Green Beret will kick your rear end!" then they'll fight the exact same fight they had in the motel room in Commando except with matrix powers and poo poo. They'll explode through a wall, there'd be a couple trying to make whoopie, but it'll be PG-13 nudity as not to offend the fundamentalist demographic. Arnold would have a one-liner and the fight go about the same as in Commando except with matrix powers causing more explosions and what have you. After the fight it'll zoom in on Arnold's eyes then zoom back out and it'll be an old Arnold sitting down with his grandkids telling the story of the events of Commando. It'll smash cut to black and text will slowly appear "John Matrix shall return in Commando 2!"

The resurrections in the title is that of it resurrecting 80's action shlock. The enthusiast press thought fans screaming and frothing over the post-credit sequence of Shang-Chi was bananas, wait until they see what burnt out Gen Xers who grew up on action trash and millennials horny for 80's nostalgia will do! They'd have to burn down the theaters to get rid of all the filth that'd explode from them!

Well we know what the SNL skit is going to be now!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Shiroc posted:

If Sense8 is any indication, you should be good.

According to the IMDB only one of the Wanchovies is working on this one?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maybe Morpheus is dead because Matrix Online is considered canon?

teagone posted:

Who was Terminator Genisys directed by?

Alan Taylor, known for several episodes of Game of Thrones and replacing Patty Jenkins on Thor 2.

codo27 posted:

If Sense8 is any indication, you should be good.

According to the IMDB only one of the Wanchovies is working on this one?

Yes, Lana, with one of the Sense8 writers as co-writer.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shiroc posted:

Yeah, every time I watch the original I'm bummed that they didn't get to execute their original Switch idea. I really want to see that pulled off on screen this time around.

Mr. Stay-Puft
Jul 5, 2007
I tried to think of the most harmless thing. Something that could never destroy us.
boom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ix7TUGVYIo

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

The Jefferson Airplane song is kind of perfect haha

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Very interesting, so yea it does seem that there is a new Morpheus who is out there basically doing what he did before, waking people up and trying to find The One. Makes me wonder if Jada Pinkett-Smith is playing a much younger version of herself that will be CGI'd up to match young Morpheus.

As someone who hasn't really followed the production up to this point, it's a bit of a pleasant surprise that Keanu actually seems to be the main character again. I figured he would be more of a side character who would pop up for a few scenes.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
White Rabbit is so painfully on-the-nose here that I cringed a bit when that intro kicked in, not gonna lie

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So if Neo and Trinity are themselves why they have to replace Morpheus and Smith (the most iconic film villain since....?) and whoever else?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

codo27 posted:

So if Neo and Trinity are themselves why they have to replace Morpheus and Smith (the most iconic film villain since....?) and whoever else?

Lawrence Fishburne's Morpheus canonically died in an alley shooting in a video game, sorry.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Looks like Neo and Trinity were 'rescued' by the machines after their deaths and put back into the Matrix, so it probably literally is them and they're not computer programs.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Necrothatcher posted:

Looks like Neo and Trinity were 'rescued' by the machines after their deaths and put back into the Matrix.

Makes sense, I guess. The gently caress else you gonna do with the bodies? Let them go to waste? :v:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That is a weird trailer. I'm down for whatever crazy poo poo that was. I wonder if general audiences with think that it "doesn't look enough like The Matrix" though.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Necrothatcher posted:

Looks like Neo and Trinity were 'rescued' by the machines after their deaths and put back into the Matrix, so it probably literally is them and they're not computer programs.

Great catch, but it doesn't look like his eyes are burnt out.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

I dunno, looks kinda burnt to me

e:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Doctor Butts posted:

I'd say that's impossible to tell from that image.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Either way, it still makes sense that they are reinserted into the Matrix and hence the Resurrections title.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Doctor Butts posted:

maybe the machines gave him an eye transplant

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Give me more - the wait is gonna be unbearable.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
We already know that Neo had some sort of connection to The Source due to his function as The One. It's possible Trinity did too for the same reason, her importance to the prophecy of The One. So they may not be able to "die" in the same way that regular people do.

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
Looks interesting at least but I'm hoping they don't hit all the same plot beats they did in Matrix 1. Already seeing a lot of parallels from the trailer but maybe they'll end up taking us in a different direction, don't need another ANH/TFA soft reboot situation.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Fine... I will watch this new movie. That looked awesome and I'm hyped up already.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

The Glumslinger posted:

I remember basically nothing about the third one other than it was terrible, did they ever explain how he stopped the sentinals at the end of the 2nd one?

The way I saw it, eventually the simulation became close enough to reality that knowing how to bend the simulation rules translates over seamlessly to bending the rules of reality.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

About 5 seconds in I realized there was very little I needed to be super hyped for this.

I wish Keanu didn't have the beard to make this feel a little less like John Wick in the Matrix but it's nothing I'm super passionate about.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Marx Headroom posted:

The way I saw it, eventually the simulation became close enough to reality that knowing how to bend the simulation rules translates over seamlessly to bending the rules of reality.

It's because of the connection Neo has to The Source that I mentioned above. He has something in him that is kind of like a wi-fi connection to all the machines, because the machines are connected to The Source.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Tsietisin posted:

Fine... I will watch this new movie. That looked awesome and I'm hyped up already.

Same, I just hope they don't try to explain everything this time, that screwed up the sequels because the premise of the first film is so philosophically strange you're not gonna write your way out of that unless you're Philip K. Dick.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Remember when we were all coming up with complex, universe-fitting, theories about how it was possible that Neo could control machines outside of the matrix at the end of Matrix 2, and it turned out that it was because Neo is magic? That's happening again right now.

The Matrix franchise has only one good entry across all media, and that one good entry is the original movie. I would have been excited for this if there was a different director involved, but seeing a Wachowski involved means that nobody has learned anything, and that this movie is going to keep sliding down the same path that the franchise is already on.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

The Dave posted:

About 5 seconds in I realized there was very little I needed to be super hyped for this.

This is kinda where I'm at.

It's the Matrix. Even when it's bad, it's still the motherfucking Matrix.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

The Matrix franchise has only one good entry across all media, and that one good entry is the original movie.

You don't think The Second Renaissance or Beyond are good? Insane.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Whatever filmmaking faults the 2nd and 3rd films had were made up by Speed Racer. Those films felt like they needed more time to bake in the oven and I think 20 years is a pretty good amount of time for an idea to percolate into something decent. I'm picking up what they're putting down with that trailer.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

One thing that surprised me the most with this trailer is how good everything looks. The lighting and cinematography is so different from what they went for in the originals but still looks good. I'm interested in seeing this.

One of my favorite things going into the first Matrix was having no idea what was happening. Like I had no idea it was about being in a computer generated world so I totally bought into the What is the Matrix tag. This isn't quite there for me but I'm excited about the questions I have. And the fact that it looks good makes me interested in finding out.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

The Human Crouton posted:

The Matrix franchise has only one good entry across all media, and that one good entry is the original movie.

patently false. all matrix franchise non-video game media is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Shard posted:

One thing that surprised me the most with this trailer is how good everything looks. The lighting and cinematography is so different from what they went for in the originals but still looks good. I'm interested in seeing this.

One of my favorite things going into the first Matrix was having no idea what was happening. Like I had no idea it was about being in a computer generated world so I totally bought into the What is the Matrix tag. This isn't quite there for me but I'm excited about the questions I have. And the fact that it looks good makes me interested in finding out.
Yeah, the trailer looks spectacular. It's an explosion of pin-sharp hyperreal colours this time rather than murky green (Matrix) and grey (real world), and I'm all for it.

Add me to the list of 'people who went into The Matrix in 1999 knowing almost nothing about it' and being blown away. "Something to do with virtual reality?" was as much as I had. Absolutely the best way to see it for the first time.