Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

FunOne posted:

That's pretty standard. Have them overnight you a new card and dispute the bad charges.once they post.

If it keeps happening I'd take a look at where you're using it to see if you can identify where it is getting lifted.

Yeah I took a look at charges over the last few months and the only place that I would be suspicious of was a self-pay parking kiosk. Or ya'know, any of the national chains I shop at, since they are so secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

I have a bunch of large, charge-able purchases coming up, and am wondering if there are any good sign up bonuses out there other than CSP and AmEx Platinum right now.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Yeah I took a look at charges over the last few months and the only place that I would be suspicious of was a self-pay parking kiosk. Or ya'know, any of the national chains I shop at, since they are so secure.

With the proliferation of chip terminals and tap-n-pay in the US I would think online is one the last options for using stolen card info.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Upgrade posted:

I have a bunch of large, charge-able purchases coming up, and am wondering if there are any good sign up bonuses out there other than CSP and AmEx Platinum right now.

Citi Premier is offering 80,000 points

waloo
Mar 15, 2002
Your Oedipus complex will prove your undoing.
If I'm sitting on a bunch of chase rewards points that I accumulated then totally forgot about, and I'm mostly pretty lazy about rewards redemption in that I'd happily just use them to buy flight tickets through the Chase portal, does it make sense to sign up for a CSR instead of a CSP because of the bigger multiplier when redeeming this way? That is, in spite of the smaller signup bonus?

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

waloo posted:

If I'm sitting on a bunch of chase rewards points that I accumulated then totally forgot about, and I'm mostly pretty lazy about rewards redemption in that I'd happily just use them to buy flight tickets through the Chase portal, does it make sense to sign up for a CSR instead of a CSP because of the bigger multiplier when redeeming this way? That is, in spite of the smaller signup bonus?

Assuming this isn't for a redemption happening right away, why not just sign up for the CSP, get the bonus, and then ask Chase to product change to the CSR before you redeem?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Space Gopher posted:

Assuming this isn't for a redemption happening right away, why not just sign up for the CSP, get the bonus, and then ask Chase to product change to the CSR before you redeem?

I don't believe any issuers will allow a PC until more than a year after the card was opened.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

My partner needs a first-timer credit card that will start off with a limit of at least a few thousand (big TV purchase coming up). She has a credit score of 735ish (mortgage, great payment history on past auto loans, etc) but no credit cards, so it's just the lack of existing history that's holding her back from getting the big ones. My only awareness of a guaranteed reasonable credit limit is the Visa Signature cards that start at $5k, but most of those are military- or state-affiliated credit unions that she's not too keen on.

I thought the Discover It would be a good place for her to start and still get something with long-term usefulness, but I don't have Discover so I don't know what their credit limits are like. Does anyone know what they're likely to start her at?

Also, are there any other classic starter cards or things that have a better-than-usual offer going right now that I'm missing?

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 27, 2021

gregday
May 23, 2003

Unsinkabear posted:

My partner needs a first-timer credit card that will start off with a limit of at least a few thousand (big TV purchase coming up). She has a credit score of 735ish (mortgage, great payment history on past auto loans, etc) but no credit cards, so it's just the lack of existing history that's holding her back from getting the big ones. My only awareness of a guaranteed reasonable credit limit is the Visa Signature cards that start at $5k, but most of those are military- or state-affiliated credit unions that she's not too keen on.

I thought the Discover It would be a good place for her to start and still get something with long-term usefulness, but I don't have Discover so I don't know what their credit limits are like. Does anyone know what they're likely to start her at?

Also, are there any other classic starter cards or things that have a better-than-usual offer going right now that I'm missing?

I like the Apple Card (Goldman Sachs). They seem to approve just about anyone and offer pretty decent limits. And you can see the offer terms before they do a hard pull in case you choose not to accept.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

gregday posted:

I like the Apple Card (Goldman Sachs). They seem to approve just about anyone and offer pretty decent limits. And you can see the offer terms before they do a hard pull in case you choose not to accept.

I appreciate the response, but neither of us are apple users, which ought to be a caveat anytime this card comes up. Without the 3% redemption option (their products only) or an apple device to use apple pay with in order to get that baseline 2%, it's a lackluster 1% cash back that pretty much anyone could just get from their current bank.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've had the best luck getting larger lines of credits from credit unions that I have an established relationship with. My CU was the first one to give me a five figure limit, after that was on my report for a while, it wasn't an issue getting the mainstream cards. Credit decisions are made locally usually, so you can always ask them to reconsider if you don't get what you want, pointing out credit score, mortgage, and vehicle payment history that the automated system might not give enough weight to.

Discover and Capital One are usually two of the easier companies to go through. I think Cap One has a portal where you can do a soft pull and see what you might qualify for before you apply and pull the hard inq.

Alternatively, add her to a couple of your established accounts as an Authorized User, wait a couple months, and they'll have credit card offers pouring in the mail. Chase is worth a shot as well, and if you don't get approved for the limit you want you can always call the recon line and ask for a higher limit. Citi has been good to me as well, nice limits on the Double Cash, and Costco Visa.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Seconding Capital One as an option. Also going to throw out the AmEx Plat. With that score it should be viable, and the sign-up bonus alone is probably worth it if you're looking for a purchase that big. I'd recommend any generic 2% cash back for everything after that though.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

CubicalSucrose posted:

Seconding Capital One as an option. Also going to throw out the AmEx Plat. With that score it should be viable, and the sign-up bonus alone is probably worth it if you're looking for a purchase that big. I'd recommend any generic 2% cash back for everything after that though.

Would AmEx actually consider a first-time credit card holder for a premium card like that?

skipdogg posted:

I've had the best luck getting larger lines of credits from credit unions that I have an established relationship with. My CU was the first one to give me a five figure limit, after that was on my report for a while, it wasn't an issue getting the mainstream cards. Credit decisions are made locally usually, so you can always ask them to reconsider if you don't get what you want, pointing out credit score, mortgage, and vehicle payment history that the automated system might not give enough weight to.

Discover and Capital One are usually two of the easier companies to go through. I think Cap One has a portal where you can do a soft pull and see what you might qualify for before you apply and pull the hard inq.

Alternatively, add her to a couple of your established accounts as an Authorized User, wait a couple months, and they'll have credit card offers pouring in the mail. Chase is worth a shot as well, and if you don't get approved for the limit you want you can always call the recon line and ask for a higher limit. Citi has been good to me as well, nice limits on the Double Cash, and Costco Visa.

All good ideas, thank you! I tried to start her off on a Chase business card to follow the optimal 5/24 flowchart, but they rejected it due to credit file so we moved on from them entirely. I guess it wouldn't be the end of the world to switch up the order and start on the low end with something like the Freedom Flex.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

AmEx plat works differently because it's a charge card, not a credit card, in terms of qualification. It's much more tied to your assets and income IIRC.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Upgrade posted:

AmEx plat works differently because it's a charge card, not a credit card, in terms of qualification. It's much more tied to your assets and income IIRC.

I didn't realize that status changed how they evaluate applicants. Are charge and credit looked at similarly by other lenders on a credit report? Building her credit file for future credit card apps is also a factor I need to keep in mind.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I would guess that a card charge would have a lower effective limit since they know you have to be able to pay it off each month.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

My pay over time limit on my Amex Gold is like $15,000 which is almost 3x my highest limit ($5,200 CSP).

That doesn't show on my credit report, though, so it's not helping me with available credit.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
The trick to big limits is to open new cards with your same institution then consolidate credit lines when you close old cards.

4x 25k cards later with my bank and my main card has almost a 6 figure line attached.

But I'm also a person in here who doesn't micromanage my FICO. Close old cards when I don't use them, open new new when I want, don't churn bonuses, etc. so consider my advice in that context.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

FunOne posted:

The trick to big limits is to open new cards with your same institution then consolidate credit lines when you close old cards.

4x 25k cards later with my bank and my main card has almost a 6 figure line attached.

But I'm also a person in here who doesn't micromanage my FICO. Close old cards when I don't use them, open new new when I want, don't churn bonuses, etc. so consider my advice in that context.

This largely depends on the bank and your income level. Chase, for instance, comes up with a number (usually half of your yearly income) and that's all the credit they'll extend you. If you're at that limit and you want to open a new card, you've got the lower the limit on existing cards.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
If you’re looking to get credit for a specific purchase, you’ll do better talking to a human being and explaining what you want it for and how much it will be

If you do the online only process, the limit is entirely by algorithm and will tend towards being very conservative since that specific no-human-involvement opening of a new account is closely associated with identity fraud. If you talk to a person and have a specific purpose for the new line of credit, they will have more wiggle room to help make it work.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Shroomie posted:

This largely depends on the bank and your income level. Chase, for instance, comes up with a number (usually half of your yearly income) and that's all the credit they'll extend you. If you're at that limit and you want to open a new card, you've got the lower the limit on existing cards.

I think more and more places are doing this now.

Also unless your credit limits are cripplingly low, consolidating generates absolutely no benefit that is worth the FICO score you're giving up to do it (as OP half-admitted). There's almost no single purchase you could actually use an almost-six-figure credit card for, whereas a thicker active credit file opens doors to cards (and even other forms of lending, for some people) that you otherwise may not be able to get. Plus closing cards ironically makes you look like more of a churner than I do on paper. It's almost never beneficial, unless you count the ego boost of having Big Number on one card.

Looking at your post history FunOne, I see a bunch of times that you've recommended closing cards despite the downsides. You've bragged that with your income and credit history you quickly bounce back from the ding and lenders will trip over themselves to offer you the next thing regardless, but that's not the universal reality for everyone and this can be pretty bad advice for people who aren't as established. I'm genuinely a little curious why this is a thing you're so evangelistic about?

Anyway, circling back around:

Squinky v2.0 posted:

If you’re looking to get credit for a specific purchase, you’ll do better talking to a human being and explaining what you want it for and how much it will be

If you do the online only process, the limit is entirely by algorithm and will tend towards being very conservative since that specific no-human-involvement opening of a new account is closely associated with identity fraud. If you talk to a person and have a specific purpose for the new line of credit, they will have more wiggle room to help make it work.

Thank you, this is a good tip that I'd forgotten about because it hasn't made a difference for me in a while. She'll hate it, but I'll have her phone apply to whatever we settle on.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 30, 2021

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Unsinkabear posted:

I'm genuinely a little curious why this is a thing you're so evangelistic about?

I'd be hard pressed to describe myself as "evangelistic" about any of this. I answered the previous post on "how to get big limit credit card" and didn't address any of the reason on "why" you would want one or not want one.

And you're right that would be bad advice for someone not well established. However, "never close a card because MAH FICO" is equally bad advice for many people. Hope you're enjoying my post history.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Minor questions, I’m helping older relatives manage their accounts. Mostly everything is ok, keeping an eye out for any missed bills or weird charges.

Has Bank of America always had an awful app? I’m used to the Chase and Citi apps and while they aren’t groundbreaking I can find what I’m looking for. The BoA app is clunky and I know they have autopay set up but I can’t find it anywhere in the settings.

Also, a bit concerning when I call customer service for accounts (not just BoA) and after I say that I’m not the account holder but he is sitting next to me, and he tells the rep it’s ok for me to make changes, I have full access. How the heck do they know what random person is in the room with me? Not sure of a solution to that.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Minor questions, I’m helping older relatives manage their accounts. Mostly everything is ok, keeping an eye out for any missed bills or weird charges.

Has Bank of America always had an awful app? I’m used to the Chase and Citi apps and while they aren’t groundbreaking I can find what I’m looking for. The BoA app is clunky and I know they have autopay set up but I can’t find it anywhere in the settings.

Also, a bit concerning when I call customer service for accounts (not just BoA) and after I say that I’m not the account holder but he is sitting next to me, and he tells the rep it’s ok for me to make changes, I have full access. How the heck do they know what random person is in the room with me? Not sure of a solution to that.

Yes the BOA app has always been dogshit.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Chaotic Flame posted:

Looks like it's actually time to pull the trigger on getting my second Sapphire SUB. Guidance is to wait a month from converting the Reserve into a non-Sapphire card before applying for the Preferred, right?

You only need to wait like 4 business days. If you want to be extra cautious you can wait until you get your downgraded card in the mail.

If you cancel the CSR instead of downgrading then you have to wait a month.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Are there any Sofi users out there that want to provide a referral for a loan for the bonus? I’d gladly do that with the caveat that I’d pay it back immediately just to get the bonus.

E: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/sofi-loan-300-referral-bonus/

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Cacafuego posted:

Are there any Sofi users out there that want to provide a referral for a loan for the bonus? I’d gladly do that with the caveat that I’d pay it back immediately just to get the bonus.

E: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/sofi-loan-300-referral-bonus/

Here you go: https://www.sofi.com/invite/personal-loans/?gcp=78865e7f-fa25-4ee9-a830-15e71bbafc5d

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

got an email saying my chase amazon card went from 5% to 3% cash back on amazon.com, then 48 hours later they reversed it back to 5%. why did they do this

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Presumably they thought your prime subscription briefly lapsed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's truly great to see the difference of grinding at things for a year or so can make. Due to being a green card holder I had no credit history and getting started was slow and painful - luckily my mother in law was kind enough to have me added as a cardholder to her good standing, as well as secured card through my bank.

Last year after having that stuff in place my own bank grimaced and took weeks to accept me on a regular card with them for $1,500 limit and Home Depot managed to break new lows with a $500 card. Today, BOA instantly accepted and gave me a card with $5,000. It's nice to be treated like an adult again, after having great credit for years in my old country that naturally meant nothing to anyone here.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
I've been planning on buying a new iPhone for some time (mine is 4 years old and the vibration motor thing doesn't work anymore). I was talking to a friend of mine and they mentioned that for large purchases, exceeding 30% of your credit limit can negatively impact your score. As it just so happens, buying this thing is going to just go over that number; however, it also just so happens that I'm planning on using my Apple Card for this. Should I try asking them to raise my limit slightly to avoid hitting that number, or is this not that big of a deal?

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Mike Danger posted:

I've been planning on buying a new iPhone for some time (mine is 4 years old and the vibration motor thing doesn't work anymore). I was talking to a friend of mine and they mentioned that for large purchases, exceeding 30% of your credit limit can negatively impact your score. As it just so happens, buying this thing is going to just go over that number; however, it also just so happens that I'm planning on using my Apple Card for this. Should I try asking them to raise my limit slightly to avoid hitting that number, or is this not that big of a deal?

I'm assuming you're using the Apple Card monthly installments thing. As long as you're not applying for a mortgage in the next two or three months, you'll be fine. You will take a small hit, but it won't be big enough to affect anything that's not extremely credit score sensitive like mortgage applications.

Shroomie
Jul 31, 2008

Mike Danger posted:

You could ask for a CLI if you've had the card long enough. You could also just pay down a chunk of the debt right away.

Alternatively, you could also just not worry about it if you're not applying for for any other credit products in the near future.

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Thanks for the advice, all. (I'm actually planning on just buying it outright rather than paying in installments, which I assume is preferable - I'm just going to pay the entire thing off once it clears.)

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

saintonan posted:

I'm assuming you're using the Apple Card monthly installments thing. As long as you're not applying for a mortgage in the next two or three months, you'll be fine. You will take a small hit, but it won't be big enough to affect anything that's not extremely credit score sensitive like mortgage applications.

Guess who forgot to check their utilization and has an auto loan approval pending.

Goddamn, this better not tank this purchase or I'm gonna loving scream.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Mike Danger posted:

Thanks for the advice, all. (I'm actually planning on just buying it outright rather than paying in installments, which I assume is preferable - I'm just going to pay the entire thing off once it clears.)

It's generally fantastic advice to never ever run a balance, though I let it slide this time because there's no interest on Apple purchases when you use that card and set up the monthly installments. Paying interest on any credit card should be avoided at all costs.

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
I have 2 credit cards. One is $500, I've had it forever it costs nothing and I never use it. The other is the Costco ($4000 limit) card and I make ~$17000/year in purchases on it. ~$4000/year of that is Costco groceries and gas. I have a lot of purchases coming up in the next few months like a laptop, clothes, Christmas presents, maybe travel stuff and maybe a bike. My credit score is ~780. I never carry a balance over. I feel like I am not taking advantage of my spending as much as I should be. I think that I should have another card and then split my purchasing between the Costco card and this new card to better leverage my spending. Is my hunch here correct and is this the smart thing to do? Should I just apply for something like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or is there a better bang for the buck thing out there?

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

I have 2 credit cards. One is $500, I've had it forever it costs nothing and I never use it. The other is the Costco ($4000 limit) card and I make ~$17000/year in purchases on it. ~$4000/year of that is Costco groceries and gas. I have a lot of purchases coming up in the next few months like a laptop, clothes, Christmas presents, maybe travel stuff and maybe a bike. My credit score is ~780. I never carry a balance over. I feel like I am not taking advantage of my spending as much as I should be. I think that I should have another card and then split my purchasing between the Costco card and this new card to better leverage my spending. Is my hunch here correct and is this the smart thing to do? Should I just apply for something like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or is there a better bang for the buck thing out there?

Chase Sapphire and Amex Platinum are the best offers right now. Both are roughly $1000 in cash back - more in travel.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Hotbod Handsomeface posted:

Should I just apply for something like the Chase Sapphire Preferred or is there a better bang for the buck thing out there?

The sign-up bonus on the CSP is at an all-time high and has flexible redemption options. If you can responsibly hit the spending target in the three months allotted, I say go for it.

Have a flat 2% cash back card for things not really rewarded by either CostCo or Chase card (not restaurants, CostCo, gasoline, travel, some streaming). Honestly, the CSP and CostCo cards are both really solid, and please tell me you're taking advantage of the Executive Membership for an extra 2% off at CostCo. They refund you the added sign-up cost if it doesn't pay for itself after a year!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah I'm an executive member. Thanks for the advice. I went with the Chase Sapphire Preferred. I will have to try to hit the spending limit on this card but that will be fine. Got approved immediately with a nice big limit so that's cool. Thanks Goons