Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Are you calling Deluge a FoF?

4 mana look at 4 cards draw 2 of them is 1 card less than FoF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.

quote:

Modal cards are nice and all but this second mode sucks.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sampatrick posted:

4 mana look at 4 cards draw 2 of them is 1 card less than FoF

It doesn't involve skill-testing pile splitting decisions. It's not very much like FoF beyond being an instant and putting cards into your hand.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

It doesn't involve skill-testing pile splitting decisions. It's not very much like FoF beyond being an instant and putting cards into your hand.

It's a 4 mana instant card draw spell that looks at almost the same number of cards as FoF, of which you choose two to put in your hand. It's not the same card but it absolutely is very similar in actual functionality.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Jabor posted:

It's going to be a 4 of in every blue deck in standard the way FoF was though.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

It's not FoF but it's definitely the closest thing we've gotten in power level since then and I'm really happy to see it. Strong instant draw is a very underappreciated piece of what allows control decks to function well.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

mikeraskol posted:

I'm really annoyed at how bad new Teferi is. The +1 and -2 are loving worthless.

It's cool in EDH!

But ya he stinks

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Before everyone gets sidetracked by the new Fact or Fiction, I love this.
I don't really care that Sphere of Annihilation is basically a better version of this that already sees no play, that name and art is just :kiss:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Shrecknet posted:

I don't really care that Sphere of Annihilation is basically a better version of this that already sees no play, that name and art is just :kiss:

Sphere oh annihilation is a one time effect you play when you need more shadow verdict. This is an grind machine that sticks around and wins you the game.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

A weakish blood artist effect that can wrath in a pinch is worth testing in sac decks. I've been playing a lot of GB citadel and I'd have loved a -2/-2 effect in a few games.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Sampatrick posted:

It's a 4 mana instant card draw spell that looks at almost the same number of cards as FoF, of which you choose two to put in your hand. It's not the same card but it absolutely is very similar in actual functionality.

Right, but so are all the other 4-mana instant draw-2s with extra selection plus a tie-in with the set mechanic, like Glimmer of Genius, Behold the Multiverse, and Contact Other Plane. Is seeing all four cards when you're making the scry decision better than only seeing the first two? For sure yes, but it's not such a huge buff that it makes this particular one comparable to FoF in a way that the others weren't.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 9, 2021

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it seems very much like a zombie stalemate breaker.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Jabor posted:

Right, but so are all the other 4-mana instant draw-2s with extra selection plus a tie-in with the set mechanic, like Glimmer of Genius, Behold the Multiverse, and Contact Other Plane. Is seeing all four cards when you're making the scry decision better than only seeing the first two? For sure yes, but it's not such a huge buff that it makes this particular one comparable to FoF in a way that the others weren't.

I mean, imo it absolutely is that big of a difference, yes.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
An old planeswalker deck isn’t worth much, is it? I’m thinking of using the Dominaria Teferi deck as a fidget toy while I’m watching lectures this semester.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

!Klams posted:

Am I alone in thinking that werewolves are really boring?

Not specifically in innistrad, but in general. I think it's because they're generic like Zombies, they're 'once human but now other' like zombies, but they don't really have any social commentary beyond, 'man is an animal'. They all look the same, there's not really a great deal you can do with it. I think it's a shame, really, that they're tied down to 'wolves'. I think stuff like werebears, werefalcons, wererhinoes etc would be way more interesting. I mean I know this is the classic horror set and not the 'twist on classic horror' set, I get why. I just hate them hanging these sets on 'Dog. Large dog. Small dog. Angry dog. Big angry dog. Big angry dog that for some reason has projectile attacks. Small angry dog that can become massive under specific circumstances' etc etc, when you've got stuff like Thing in the Ice waiting in the wings.

Actually, I'm gonna walk that back a bunch, I think compared to the generic fodder you get in normal sets, Werewolves are fantastically evocative, I think it's just compared to all the other stuff they kind of pale. I always found the day / night mechanic overly fiddly and unengaging, I think this new one looks a LOT better because it's much more to do with 'night creatures vs day walkers' than 'werewolves in human or wolf form'.

I guess what I'm saying is the Vampire Wedding sounds like it's going to be loving incredible.

I'm in the opposite camp, I find vampires kind of boring, but werewolves are my favorite of the classic monsters because they have SO MUCH history. Every culture has folktales of humans that turn into animals, vice-versa, and human-animal hybrids. But that does play into the point you're making here, which is that I think for werewolves to really hit in these sets, Wizards should take a broader approach with other were-animals, or maybe even other non-European versions of these types of creatures. It would be more interesting than the standard Hollywood "wolfman" that most pop-culture werewolves are.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Jabor posted:

Is seeing all four cards when you're making the scry decision better than only seeing the first two? For sure yes, but it's not such a huge buff that it makes this particular one comparable to FoF in a way that the others weren't.

I think this is where people disagree with you.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

mikeraskol posted:

I'm really annoyed at how bad new Teferi is. The +1 and -2 are loving worthless.

I kinda disagree, the plus seems quite strong imo. It's pretty narrow, but it can generate an absolute gently caress ton of mana on the plus. It's just a weird role for a UW Planeswalker to fill.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

HootTheOwl posted:

Before everyone gets sidetracked by the new Fact or Fiction, I love this.

Dope AF

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Jabor posted:

And it doesn’t even dump the rest in the yard

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Thing in the Ice dragon looking pretty rad.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Huxley posted:

Thing in the Ice dragon looking pretty rad.

Thing in the egg

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

how long until the whole set is spoiled? need to inject the limited set reviews into my veins

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Lmao they could have just said Instant Foresee but nah

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Shrecknet posted:

Even if you don't get much value out of the effect on future turns, a black sweeper that potentially gains you some life sounds really sweet in some matchups

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Shrecknet posted:

Did you miss the part where Sphere takes an entire turn to do anything? That's why it's unplayable.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Seems like a stretch for blue, no?

Whyyyy is this a rare lol? And sorcery speed??

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

babypolis posted:

how long until the whole set is spoiled? need to inject the limited set reviews into my veins

Mythic spoiler says there's still 70 cards left so I would expect that there's going to be more cards than spoilers (which end today. Commander start the 13th) so your have to wait for the full set reveal which I would expect tomorrow at 10ish central time.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm with Jabor, it's really weird to call that a FoF when it's a very good variant of the blue instant 4 mana draw 2 that we've gotten a million times since. The piles are an essential piece of FoF. Memory Deluge is the best, at least for Standard, between the dig and the flashback.

Sunrise Cavalier
1RW
Creature - Human Knight
Trample, haste
If it is neither day nor night, it becomes day as Sunrise Cavalier enters the battlefield.
Whenever day becomes night or night becomes day, put a +1/+1 counter on target creature you control.
3/3

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

fadam posted:

Seems like a stretch for blue, no?

It's a reprint from MBS, of a phyrexian card which tend to stretch into black a little.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

It's a reprint from MBS, of a phyrexian card which tend to stretch into black a little.

Oh cool ty

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Just thought about Winota rotating out again and wondering if WOTC ever unbans things because they're not overbearing anymore. Bloodbraid Elf took like 5 years to get unbanned, right?

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

this one is sweet as hell imo. will probably end up being my favorite card from the set.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

these are both really cool, fun cards for limited

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Deathbonnet Sprout could easily be a Standard enabler if the rest of the deck is there.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

fadam posted:

Whyyyy is this a rare lol? And sorcery speed??

This card is so bad and bizarre that I have to think it was a late minute change on something busted

Like this isn’t even good for a common….for one mana!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Tovolar's Huntmaster 4GG

Creature - Human Werewolf

When it enters the battlefield, create 2 2/2 green wolves.

Daybound

6/6

//// Tovolar's Packleader

Creature - Werewolf

When it enters the battlefield or attacks, create two 2/2 wolves

2GG: Another target wolf or werewolf you control fights target creature you don't control

Nightbound

7/7