Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

stux is right no human being has ever used the shuffle function on a music player with the misapprehension it was the same thing as a mathematically defined random function what do we think people are stupid or something

althoguth you are being sarcastic, i do believe its true that no one has ever thought its that except extreme nerds who think about math.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Shuffle: like you shuffle a deck of cards. Mathematical definition: Random without replacement. What happens: you get flushes of the same color or suit. This is what your old car stereo or most MP3 players do and instead of flushes you get artists coming up in sequential chunks. It's a valid mathematical form of random and you learn all about it in statistics.

What Spotify does: Make a list without replacement and make sure some factor doesn't repeat. If we did it to a deck of cards, flushes are algorithmically impossible because we purposefully avoid them. We get a result that's more like a curated radio station.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

althoguth you are being sarcastic, i do believe its true that no one has ever thought its that except extreme nerds who think about math.

yes it's the extreme nerds who care about math saying the word "shuffle" IS interchangeable with "random" and the people dosing themselves with horse paste going "ah yes this says shuffle, a clearly different action of sorting items than what is typically defined as 'random'"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

everything ok

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

zedprime posted:

This is what your old car stereo or most MP3 players do and instead of flushes you get artists coming up in sequential chunks. It's a valid mathematical form of random and you learn all about it in statistics.

Incorrect. nice try. and my apologies, but now you must be cut down where you stand.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stux posted:

everything ok

it seemed like a really weird and pedantic jab that the takeaway you got from the post about how people actually like "randomness" is not truly random was "actually everyone on the planet of earth knows shuffle and random aren't the same thing"

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

you dont need to know that to know u want shuffle and not random. thats the power of the common man vs the educated fool.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

what happens when you shuffle a deck of cards stux

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

*pushes glasses up* "Actually that's not really random..." outside of computer science is definitely like an xkcd-level nerd thing

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

codo27 posted:

gently caress, they're still making Postal games? I feel like I may have read about the 3 fiasco at some point but I just discovered 4, which has been in early access for 2 years. What a mess, but I guess thats to be expected. I could use some more senseless fun nonetheless

I went ahead and bought it too, but it looks like they're leaning way heavy on their brand of humor than just senseless violence like Postal 2 was. Apocalypse Weekend and Paradise Lost were less about loving around and more about linear stories and awful RWS humor. And yet I keep buying it, so I guess that's on me.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

what happens when you shuffle a deck of cards stux

typically? it means im $1k up.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
randomness is for cowards afraid of determinism

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Stux posted:

Incorrect. nice try. and my apologies, but now you must be cut down where you stand.
Maybe I'm too undiscerning in my app selection but I remember there being a dark ages from like 2002-10 where every MP3 player gave random songs and didn't even shuffle when you hit shuffle. And every app I've used after the dawn of smart phones since then has given artist flushes.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

my blade is ready

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tamba posted:

It did that, but it was still possible to get multiple songs from the same artist/album in a row, which wasn't 'random enough' for people.
Their new randomizer spreads related songs out roughly evenly, which really is a lot less random, but more in line with what people expect.
Ah that makes sense. It's fundamentally the same principle but extends it further, which I guess is necessary when dealing with a library of hundreds of thousands of songs instead of a CD with a dozen songs or an MP3 CD with a hundred.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Stux posted:

my blade is ready
I don't want to die I just want to know what app to download because YT Music, Amazon Music, and Spotify are all varyingly pieces of poo poo.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

games

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

artist flushes are when i pull the handle on the toilet to wash away my latest sculpture

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

so today is a big games day:

Life is Strange: True Colors
Tales of Arise
a sports game idgaf about
Dice Legacy
Webbed

and then Lost in Random tomorrow

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

zedprime posted:

Maybe I'm too undiscerning in my app selection but I remember there being a dark ages from like 2002-10 where every MP3 player gave random songs and didn't even shuffle when you hit shuffle. And every app I've used after the dawn of smart phones since then has given artist flushes.

foobar2000 gives Random and Shuffle as two different options and bless it

EDIT: Whenever Random would play the same song twice in a row out of my bigass mp3 collection in college, I'd celebrate and chug a beer

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 9, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The 7th Guest posted:

so today is a big games day:

Life is Strange: True Colors
Tales of Arise
a sports game idgaf about
Dice Legacy
Webbed

and then Lost in Random tomorrow

what's the sports game ydgaf about

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Play posted:

what's the sports game ydgaf about
NBA2K22 so it's really not worth giving a gently caress about by anyone

you pay $60 and you still get in-game ads like it's the 90s playing Acrophobia on BeZerk network (at least if it continues from 2K21)

.random
May 7, 2007

All these posts talking about me like I’m not here

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

.random posted:

All these posts talking about me like I’m not here

I know someone who used to go by the username "everyone" and well, he had to give that up when he joined discord.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

In Encased, does anyone know where the weapons merchants are in Junktown? Other than Heinrich, who doesn't sell energy weapons. In general, there seems to be a serious lack of merchants at this point.

I have also found a way to get infinite xp, which I assume is unintentional on the part of the devs

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 9, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

The 7th Guest posted:

NBA2K22 so it's really not worth giving a gently caress about by anyone

you pay $60 and you still get in-game ads like it's the 90s playing Acrophobia on BeZerk network (at least if it continues from 2K21)

o okay well im with you on that one definitely dgaf

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Phlegmish posted:

I have also found a way to get infinite xp, which I assume is unintentional on the part of the devs
?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1436065097215102976

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Yeeessss!
Wait, it's not all the games?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They only announced UC4 and the UC4 standalone expansion thing

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I'm assuming getting the first 3 Uncharted games ported to PC from PS3's bespoke OS is a lot more challenging and they don't think it will make enough money

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

repiv posted:

They only announced UC4 and the UC4 standalone expansion thing

Oh well, I will wait.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

AngryBooch posted:

I'm assuming getting the first 3 Uncharted games ported to PC from PS3's bespoke OS is a lot more challenging and they don't think it will make enough money

Haven't they already ported them to PS4?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

They already ported the first three games to PS4, and from there it's relatively easy to port them to PC if they want to

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

drat i was gonna do a joke about how uncharted is coming to pc and absolutely no one cares

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just want to play the first Uncharted again with better animations and graphics, Uncharted 4 while fine, isn't anything special in my opinion.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Also a Knights of the Old Republic remake was announced. Console exclusive to PS5, so that means a PC release. No idea if that will be at launch or later.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

as a bloodborne fan you've made me cry hot salty tears with the phrase "console exclusive to ps5 so that means a pc release"

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

You sure you want to know? there is a tiny car called Hog in Junktown, once you fix it you can drive it back and forth across town endlessly, getting a few dozen xp each two clicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

as a bloodborne fan you've made me cry hot salty tears with the phrase "console exclusive to ps5 so that means a pc release"

"Console exclusive" is a relatively new phrase that's popped up as Sony and MS are buying exclusivity to keep games off the other console but not the PC. If something is announced as "console exclusive for x" then it means an inevitable PC release.

Bloodbourne was exclusive full stop.