Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Was watching Simpsons and s8 e12 came on, the one where Marge finds a Chanel suit and joins the country club. On the way to the Ogdenville outlet store, there's a callback to Ogdenville appearing near Califormia on Lyle Lanley's map which also serves as a "Springfield isn't in any discernable place" gag: a sign that says "Paved Road ends 64 miles", then "Former Japanese Internment Camp 90 miles", then "Ogdenville 277 miles".

The inclusion of Internment Camp feels so weird to me now. I get that they might have included it as a kind of dark joke about American history, and it serves the purpose of the callback and gag, but it's like the bros in a Euro trip movie driving by a big "Auschwitz-Birkenau 10 km" sign with no comment.

Most likely this is just a reference to the Japanese internment camps all being way out in the middle of nowhere. I don't think it aged badly so much as it never worked well in the first place unless you lived in Southern California (Manzanar was a historic site by then).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

flatluigi posted:

okay, seriously, holy poo poo why is everyone in here seriously acting like 'not wanting to be spoilered' is some Gay Agenda style conspiracy theory. nobody's trying to kill the concept of discussing media at all lmao

It depends if you're one of the people who think spoilers about literal advertisements are big deal, I guess.

It definitely gets pretty annoying in video game communities.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Tiggum posted:

Who gives a gently caress? Why let the people who consider inconsequential details "spoilers" quash all discussion of media for everyone forever? gently caress 'em.

I mean, in my situation it's less that I was advised to be as vague as possible and more told to choose my words carefully because "hey, the movie/show/whatever you're reviewing treats the particular thing you just mentioned as a secret for first time viewers, so maybe don't give that away as part of your synopsis". I don't disagree with the notion that I shouldn't let a listener's negative reaction be a reason to not discuss something but in my case the format of an episode is to introduce the media to the audience and give a brief overview for the sake of those who haven't seen it or even heard of it before and then give them a chance to stop listening if they want to go check it out before my friend and I dive into themes and narratives that are, by their nature, major spoilers.

My original comment was more that I am so involved in the stuff I talk about that I'm not aware of how even saying which actor plays which character might ruin a narrative surprise for a first time viewer, sort of like what started this whole conversation to begin with, and my co-host has helped me be better about that

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

hawowanlawow posted:

I loved frisky dingo, but didn't really like Archer. Archer was definitely going for broader appeal, and did that by just heaping on more dick jokes

I think Frisky Dingo feels more natural because it wasn't a huge production and the voice cast basically wrote the episodes. The inside jokes that develop over the course of the show seem natural probably because they were actual inside jokes. IIRC, Mr. Ford was the landlord of their building when they were working on FD, and they added him as a character because they thought it was funny. Apparently the dude liked it enough to come back and voice a cameo in Archer, so hey.

(Also, the literary geek in me still thinks Antagone is the best supervillain name by far)

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

rodbeard posted:

True Lies sucked and the stunt coordinator molested the child actress playing the daughter nobody even remembers being in the movie.

Eliza Dushku?

EDIT: Just checked google. That's loving horrible :(

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!

nonathlon posted:

If you think about True Lies at all while you're watching it, it's a crappy movie. Man neglects his wife, she gets unhappy, he entraps her. The villains are comically ineffectual to that point that it didn't seem like a fair fight. Our hero solves it all with overkill via a jet fighter in the end. Wife is happy now she knows her husband is a professional killer, because it's more interesting? Family stays together. It's the story of a man who is awesome badass, but other people don't know that, but belatedly come to agree.

When I watched True Lies couple of years ago it was a weird experience. Yes, it is a comedy, but it was sometimes hard to figure out what I'm supposed to laugh at.

Ok, car salesman is a sleazeball, funny. Arnie mindfucks and tortures him just for kicks? Played like a joke, so ha ha, I guess?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Khizan posted:

Archer has largely avoided aging poorly because the show was always well aware that the characters were all horrible people and it always treated them as such. There's not a lot of "How did they think that was acceptable?" stuff because it obviously wasn't acceptable and you weren't meant to think that it was.
Maling a ton of t-shirts with ISIS on them turned out to be a mistake though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Fish of hemp posted:

When I watched True Lies couple of years ago it was a weird experience. Yes, it is a comedy, but it was sometimes hard to figure out what I'm supposed to laugh at.

Ok, car salesman is a sleazeball, funny. Arnie mindfucks and tortures him just for kicks? Played like a joke, so ha ha, I guess?

He pissed himself also.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Eliza Dushku?

EDIT: Just checked google. That's loving horrible :(

I remembered Dushku being in the movie but never heard about the abuse.

Of course Dushku is best known now for her work with Joss Whedon. Woman can't catch a break.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I remembered Dushku being in the movie but never heard about the abuse.

Of course Dushku is best known now for her work with Joss Whedon. Woman can't catch a break.

Also she got fired from a show Bull when she went public with harrasment she suffered from Michael Weatherly.

If she ever decides to burn entire show business down to ground, no one could ever blame her.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gervasius posted:

Also she got fired from a show Bull when she went public with harrasment she suffered from Michael Weatherly.

If she ever decides to burn entire show business down to ground, no one could ever blame her.

CBS settled with her and still kept that show on the air a decision that just ages badly from the start. I am glad she semi-retired and moved back home because she seems way happier if social media is to be believed.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

In Willow at one point they are literally saved and escape the bad guys because of one dude's weaponized gay panic at having sexually harassed Val Kilmer in a dress.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

CBS settled with her and still kept that show on the air a decision that just ages badly from the start. I am glad she semi-retired and moved back home because she seems way happier if social media is to be believed.

They settled by paying her something north of $20 million, that's absolutely "semi-retire" money for someone who's not clearing 7 figgie movie paychecks.

Micheal Weatherly got a studio babysitter to follow him around and make sure he didn't continue harassing women.

pentyne has a new favorite as of 13:10 on Sep 9, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Fish of hemp posted:

That's a good way of describing it. Like it has the shape and form of a comedy and you can imagine a different version where the jokes are more clearly jokes and less "I'm going to mess with you because I can".

I recollect it was based on a French film and I wonder if that played out differently or if it was just ... very French

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I don't really watch television any more so when people started talking about an awful CBS show where the lead harasses women my brain immediately went to Shark, a James Woods vehicle that apparently was mercy killed by the writers strike in 2007.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

NorgLyle posted:

I don't really watch television any more so when people started talking about an awful CBS show where the lead harasses women my brain immediately went to Shark, a James Woods vehicle that apparently was mercy killed by the writers strike in 2007.

Bull was like 95% the same show, I think.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So it was a Bull Shark?

:dadjoke:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

pentyne posted:

They settled by paying her something north of $20 million, that's absolutely "semi-retire" money for someone who's not clearing 7 figgie movie paychecks.

Micheal Weatherly got a studio babysitter to follow him around and make sure he didn't continue harassing women.

Weird amount of studio babysitters out there

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

In Willow at one point they are literally saved and escape the bad guys because of one dude's weaponized gay panic at having sexually harassed Val Kilmer in a dress.

You could just as easily read it as Llug realizing his wife was cheating on him, though.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Khizan posted:

Archer has largely avoided aging poorly because the show was always well aware that the characters were all horrible people and it always treated them as such. There's not a lot of "How did they think that was acceptable?" stuff because it obviously wasn't acceptable and you weren't meant to think that it was.

Well, other than ISIS.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Phylodox posted:

You could just as easily read it as Llug realizing his wife was cheating on him, though.

Dunno I'm prob not gonna give the man in dress joke much leeway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

hallo spacedog posted:

Well, other than ISIS.

And not really like you can blame them for that. (the name is a reference to an ancient Egyptian goddess, hence their rival being ODIN)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Obama was an Archer fan which is why he was trying to hard to get ISIL to catch on.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CharlestheHammer posted:

Weird amount of studio babysitters out there

It would be nice if we lived in a world where the abuser was the one fired, rather than the victim. But that's just crazy talk.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gervasius posted:

I'm still confused that anyone gave enough of a poo poo about Dr Phil to make a multi-season tv show based on his early career

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And not really like you can blame them for that. (the name is a reference to an ancient Egyptian goddess, hence their rival being ODIN)

Oh definitely, just in light of the subsequent events it has aged poorly.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
My two cents on the Isis name change : This feels like its a exec or some other suit worrying that the LCD public is soooooooooooooo god drat stupid that they think that a single word or name is always the same THING.

You dont have to hand it to a broken clock.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

PhazonLink posted:

My two cents on the Isis name change : This feels like its a exec or some other suit worrying that the LCD public is soooooooooooooo god drat stupid that they think that a single word or name is always the same THING.

It's the name of a terrorist organization dude

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

hallo spacedog posted:

Well, other than ISIS.

So basically, the problem is phrasing? ;)

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PhazonLink posted:

It wasn't just Archer, tbf - the blowback was bad enough to convince critically-acclaimed seminal post-metal band Isis to also change their name for reunion shows. People get poo poo for having named their cats Isis.

We live in a stupid world.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

PhazonLink posted:

But like, people ARE that stupid. I just learned a great example the other day. Some time back when, evidently, A&W introduced a 1/3 pound burger and priced it the same as McDonald's Quarter-pounder and featured that fact prominently in their marketing for it, and it failed, and the reason was that people are idiots and thought they would be getting a smaller burger because 3 is a smaller number than 4.

I wonder sometimes if movie and TV execs put too little faith in the media-consuming public as well, but I mean, the numbers speak for themselves, assuming you can read them, which most people can't.

ReidRansom has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Sep 9, 2021

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Khizan posted:

it probably helps that Archer had a long-running gag about the show's timeline being impossible to pin down from the start

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've gotten multiple people to watch Archer just by showing them that first-season scene where they're trying to defuse a bomb, something that in a Mission Impossible movie would take thirty seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNYMQpcqscA

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Fun fact: that scene served as the inspiration for Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. No, seriously.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

And speaking of Archer, this new season and the last one have really felt kinda back on form. It was losing its way for a while there. But I guess with Jessica Walter gone now (and I feel like Aisha Tyler has sounded a bit rough in places, though that may have been down to an altered recording process back in the peak of the pandemic last year? Iunno), they're probably going to be wrapping up soon.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

AceOfFlames posted:

Fun fact: that scene served as the inspiration for Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes. No, seriously.

That's perfect, thank you for this information.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

ReidRansom posted:

A&W introduced a 1/3 pound burger and priced it the same as McDonald's Quarter-pounder and featured that fact prominently in their marketing for it, and it failed, and the reason was that people are idiots and thought they would be getting a smaller burger because 3 is a smaller number than 4.

This explains why the 1/2 pounder is so unpopular.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The "Idiots thought the 1/3 pounder burger was smaller" story is probably a myth. The primary support for it is the then-head of A&W, who claimed that half of the customers in a market survey gave that response. He also claimed that customers vastly preferred the "superior" A&W's patty, while most blind taste tests found little difference. No third party evidence to support the claim has ever been found.

The simple fact is that A&Ws has never been more than a middleweight in the saturated burger market, while McDonald's is and always has been the reigning emperor. Competing against them is very hard.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Tell us you don't live in Canada without saying you don't live in Canada:

Gnoman posted:

The "Idiots thought the 1/3 pounder burger was smaller" story is probably a myth. The primary support for it is the then-head of A&W, who claimed that half of the customers in a market survey gave that response. He also claimed that customers vastly preferred the "superior" A&W's patty, while most blind taste tests found little difference. No third party evidence to support the claim has ever been found.

The simple fact is that A&Ws has never been more than a middleweight in the saturated burger market, while McDonald's is and always has been the reigning emperor. Competing against them is very hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Tell us you don't live in Canada without saying you don't live in Canada:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing, you'd have to be insane to turn down A&W for McDonalds. (For people who don't know, Canadian A&W is a completely different chain in all but name and some minor branding details.)