Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

FiftySeven posted:

I think the sad truth of those films is that given how mindblowing The Matrix was at the time, there was very little chance the sequels were ever going to live up to it, and while 18 years removed from the situation it might be pretty easy to just turn off your brain and enjoy them, I remember keenly how much of a letdown Revolutions was, and how much I hated the apparent lobotomization of Neos personality in both the sequels.

They probably are not all that bad, but I personally will never be able to view them outside of that context.

One thing that Reloaded succeeded in doing was upping the ante on the action spectacle though, people were mostly in agreement on that when it came out. The highway chase and the Neo vs. Merovingian's goons fight were like the stuff from the first movie cranked up to 11.

I've gained an appreciation for Revolutions in the years since it's release mostly because at the time all I wanted was more cool gunfights inside The Matrix, but when I watch it now I can't help but love the massive robot army invasion scenes with the mech suits and all that. It's pretty unique stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Colonel Whitey posted:

why do you care if people discuss the previous movies in the context of this new trailer. like just close your eyes

I guess if you read what I said and leave out the important half you could imagine I said this.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Torquemada posted:

I guess if you read what I said and leave out the important half you could imagine I said this.

I read your post like ten times trying to figure out what you were talking about and I'm still kinda confused.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Torquemada posted:

i don't think any part of your post could be considered an important half

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Basebf555 posted:

I think for me it feels a bit "off" just because it has that super crisp modern digital cinematography which gives me vibes of like, Ready Player One or something like that. Whereas The Matrix trilogy was one of the last big blockbuster action series to still have that shot on film feel.

I've been trying to pin down why the super-sharp look just feels so wrong to me, and I think it's this. The Matrix's aesthetic just seems so wrapped up in the late-90s that it's really odd seeing Matrix code scrolling around that just looks so... smooth and non-pixellated. I almost wish they would have kept the setting in the same year (wasn't there a line about the machines specifically basing the environment on 1999?).

Also the shots of Neo looking alienated with everyone around him on their smartphones/devices and taking prescription blue pills ("Did you see that the pills are BLUE, audience? Did you??") just feel kind of cheesy and I hope they don't lean into it too much. Other than that, I'm cautiously optimistic.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Shardix posted:

Just lol at you nerds complaining about White Rabbit being used in a franchise who's initial entry was 50% Alice in Wonderland references.

All those act 1 scenes that start with him waking up. :aaaaa:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Basebf555 posted:

One thing that Reloaded succeeded in doing was upping the ante on the action spectacle though, people were mostly in agreement on that when it came out. The highway chase and the Neo vs. Merovingian's goons fight were like the stuff from the first movie cranked up to 11.

I've gained an appreciation for Revolutions in the years since it's release mostly because at the time all I wanted was more cool gunfights inside The Matrix, but when I watch it now I can't help but love the massive robot army invasion scenes with the mech suits and all that. It's pretty unique stuff.

I think Revolutions was too bogged down in the politicking regarding what to do about an incoming invasion. That's a lot of time that could have been cut and told in a tighter context. However, it was a really good way to show that not everyone believed in what Neo was.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Basebf555 posted:

Definitely agree about the action in Reloaded, its why I didnt name it specifically as a letdown like Revolutions. It was a promising start to what was ultimately not that great. I said it before and I will say it again, Neo's total loss of personality in the sequels is pretty much the thing I hold against them the most.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Gross, not in the bathtub, Neo

https://twitter.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1435965947685212163?s=20

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 9, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

gently caress me.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Saw this the other day. I had no idea since I've only ever seen the 99 movie on DVD.

https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/1435669763842269187

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

SUNKOS posted:

Just noticed when Trinity does her scream and those ghost copies appear around her that not all of them are her either, some of them look like different people. Can't predict where they're going with that and Neo but it's unexpected and exciting.

Im getting a distinct feeling this is almost going to be like a New Game+ in that theres some alt/new Matrix made by rogue or different machines that they insert Neo and Trinity into it as almost a jump start to the process of ending it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

https://i.imgur.com/LEMLAn6.mp4

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

The original was indeed a throat-punchingly good time.

I find it odd how the city is so obviously San Francisco, since that seems so unlike the Matrix we're used to where it's just "Big City" as far as the eye can see as far as I recall. Obviously the machines may be playing with different Matrix ideas (or maybe there's different programs in charge of running stuff now), but I can't help but wonder if we're in for even goofier twists where this actually is the real world and the machines are running some kind of experiment to see if humans can be trusted or something.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

holy poo poo, could it be?

https://twitter.com/slytherinus/status/1435958675470884864?s=20

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Every scene with Jessica Henwick looks so fuckin' cool. :allears:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Too much. It detracts from the narrative and is like an overlong musical sequence in a musical. It consumes the narrative rather than serving the narrative.

I'm pleasantly surprised by the amount of action in this trailer versus what I expected. Maybe the effects of those sequences just aren't ready yet, but it seemed like action might take more of a backseat in this than the other ones and that has me hype.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dude. Nu-Oracle.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

That twisting shot of the agent coming through the door into the hallway is sick as gently caress

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I feel like I'm probably the only person in existence who actually had a genuinely good time with Enter the Matrix. I've seen lots of people talk about devastating game breaking bugs and such but I never had any issues on the PS2 version. Maybe I lucked out?

Having it properly interlink with the 2 sequel movies and the anime shorts was a really ambitious and cool idea for the time. I feel like we didn't really see that again for a long time. The MCU is doing a lot of that stuff now but I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.

The hacking minigame was sweet too, much more interesting then typing in a cheat code.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

The best Matrix game was the Max Payne 2 Lobby Shootout mod.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Hmmmmm

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

MxO was a good game. I wish I could play it again.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Spalec posted:

I feel like I'm probably the only person in existence who actually had a genuinely good time with Enter the Matrix. I've seen lots of people talk about devastating game breaking bugs and such but I never had any issues on the PS2 version. Maybe I lucked out?

Having it properly interlink with the 2 sequel movies and the anime shorts was a really ambitious and cool idea for the time. I feel like we didn't really see that again for a long time. The MCU is doing a lot of that stuff now but I can't really think of anything else off the top of my head.

The hacking minigame was sweet too, much more interesting then typing in a cheat code.

I loved the game and at that time it's flaws just weren't really apparent to me. I particularly loved the combat where you could press a button and it would do different moves based on the context. I feel like it was a very early version of the Batman Arkham Asylum combat that would become so popular years later. It made you feel like a badass.

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009
Trailer looks pretty loving good.

Lester Shy posted:

Saw this the other day. I had no idea since I've only ever seen the 99 movie on DVD.

https://twitter.com/capybaroness/status/1435669763842269187

I am also perfectly fine/happy with a shift in the visual approach. If this is a new iteration of the Matrix it makes narrative sense. More importantly, the divide between digital and analog was much clearer in 1999 when Matrix 1 came out and so much less clear today in 2021; I mean the movie itself is going to be shot on digital for goodness sake. It makes sense to represent that blurred division visually with modern cinematography. Sticking with the “old style” would just be indulging childish nostalgia as opposed to a new exploration of old ideas.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

The best Matrix game was the Max Payne 2 Lobby Shootout mod.

No, it was Conker's Bad Fur Day

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

this looks hella bad

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

Jay-V posted:

Trailer looks pretty loving good.

I am also perfectly fine/happy with a shift in the visual approach. If this is a new iteration of the Matrix it makes narrative sense. More importantly, the divide between digital and analog was much clearer in 1999 when Matrix 1 came out and so much less clear today in 2021; I mean the movie itself is going to be shot on digital for goodness sake. It makes sense to represent that blurred division visually with modern cinematography. Sticking with the “old style” would just be indulging childish nostalgia as opposed to a new exploration of old ideas.

They can't do the old thing again, it was a visual narritive that was very much buried in the late 90s internet boom and everything that surrounded it - they have to play on our current set of visual narritives which are all clean, hard and well, stealth plane shaped.

That last bit of modern graphic design has confused the crap out of me for about a decade, why the hell does every car have a backend that looks like an F117? bit more demoscene, a bit less aol is neat.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Looks to me like His and Hers...

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Mean Bean Machine posted:

this looks hella bad

Counterpoint: it looks hella good

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm optimistic about this movie. Trailer was good.

FiftySeven posted:

Looks to me like His and Hers...

I got the same impression.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Martman posted:

I find it odd how the city is so obviously San Francisco, since that seems so unlike the Matrix we're used to where it's just "Big City" as far as the eye can see as far as I recall. Obviously the machines may be playing with different Matrix ideas (or maybe there's different programs in charge of running stuff now), but I can't help but wonder if we're in for even goofier twists where this actually is the real world and the machines are running some kind of experiment to see if humans can be trusted or something.

I always hated the choice to set the sequels in one big city, and to imply that the entire matrix world was just that city. In the first film it was supposed to be that our own world was a simulation, wasn't it? And some of the coolest parts of the Animatrix were set in simulations of other places, like Japan.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Conrad_Birdie posted:

Counterpoint: it looks hella good

:hmmyes::agreed:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Is that Moss in every echo?

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I like the way this new matrix has super bright and vivid, even lurid sunshine after what Sati did when it was rebooted. Sort of this day-glo “everything is perfect this time please don’t ask too many questions it certainly isn’t hanging on by string and gum” vibe

Zesty posted:

Doesn’t look like it - I really hope we get more backstory on the previous iterations of the one and trinity and Morpheus archetypes, and that turns out to be an example of it

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY

Zesty posted:

Definitely not

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spalec posted:

Enter the Matrix was very bad and I enjoyed it very much. "Hacking" it to make it easier and cheat or unlock dumb fighting mini-games owned

Aidan_702 posted:

I like the way this new matrix has super bright and vivid, even lurid sunshine after what Sati did when it was rebooted. Sort of this day-glo “everything is perfect this time please don’t ask too many questions it certainly isn’t hanging on by string and gum” vibe

Patch notes: Cats walking in the alley no longer crash the server and kill a thousand people at a time

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 9, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

e: oops

Jay-V
Nov 8, 2009

Hexyflexy posted:

They can't do the old thing again, it was a visual narritive that was very much buried in the late 90s internet boom and everything that surrounded it - they have to play on our current set of visual narritives which are all clean, hard and well, stealth plane shaped.

That last bit of modern graphic design has confused the crap out of me for about a decade, why the hell does every car have a backend that looks like an F117? bit more demoscene, a bit less aol is neat.

Yep, a big part of the Matrix is the idea that “looks are deceiving” and that normal things we see in our day-to-day can in fact be prison walls. This thesis doesn’t make sense in a modern movie unless it uses our modern visual vocabulary/vernacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

codo27 posted:

Interesting seeing the scene in the elevator with everyone on their phones. The Matrix has always been an obvious and great metaphor for our society already, but the introduction of the smartphone plague since the initial run definitely provides a lot to draw from

Also that angle is awesome, cause its intentionally loving with you