Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

it's actually from robocop

I can’t believe I didn’t catch that! I saw that movie in the loving theater when it debuted! Not to mention like a billion times on VHS growing up. I guess not seeing it for 20+ years makes you forget, even though I still can cite the entire script of Airplane! (of course I can’t remember a cool rear end sonnet or Bible verse to quote at Brad before I shoot him), but my brother and I can still recite Ferris Bueller lines like a secret code…

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Jose Valasquez posted:

it’s worked for cryptobros so far, so why not?

Do you think the tulip grifters knew it was going to both be lucrative and last a while? It truly is exactly like that: imagine if the Beanie Baby fad had lasted at its peak for a decade? Even Madoff was called a liar (with evidence!) for multiple years before any government agency looked seriously at his books.

Coinbase execs probably figured to milk a few million and exit scam (exactly what Binance waited just a bit too long to do), and the money was so good from dolts they just probably could not break away cleanly.

I liked what someone here (forgot who) said, “Just because you won the Lotto doesn’t make you smart.”

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Shageletic posted:

Seeing the pod’s nascent form, I felt a boringly pragmatic urge to ask Romundt what happened if, once afloat, you needed to buy a pint of milk. My question seemed to miss the point, too wedded to old-fashioned notions of locality and human connection. The Pods had been designed to have a hatch in the roof, Romundt said. He was talking to some drone creators and imagined people flying to their pods independently, landing on the roof and entering through the hatch. Perhaps that’s how you’d get your milk.

in case you missed it it's important to keep in mind the way you get to the hatch on the roof is by climbing up the rock climbing wall, which is itself located in the shower

i know it was just brought up on the last page or whatever but it's a very important point everyone needs to know

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DerekSmartymans posted:

I liked what someone here (forgot who) said, “Just because you won the Lotto doesn’t make you smart.”

and that poster, was albert einstein

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

a.p. dent posted:

how the gently caress does el salvador expect to make bitcoin their legal tender!! it doesn't work!! you can't do transactions with it. wtf is going on???

At least Robert learned to play the blues guitar real good…

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Shame Boy posted:

in case you missed it it's important to keep in mind the way you get to the hatch on the roof is by climbing up the rock climbing wall, which is itself located in the shower

i know it was just brought up on the last page or whatever but it's a very important point everyone needs to know

because the primary entry to your home should be about whimsy and novelty

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

a.p. dent posted:

how the gently caress does el salvador expect to make bitcoin their legal tender!! it doesn't work!! you can't do transactions with it. wtf is going on???

love for the national currency of my country to fluctuate wildly in value based on the tweets of some insane guy who's claim to fame is poor quality cars, exploding batteries and wanting to stuff children into an underwater death tube to protect them from pedophile divers

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

a.p. dent posted:

The president is hoping to make money off it and he doesn't care if the entire country burns.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

Matt Levine of Bloomberg's Money Stuff has some thoughts on the Coinbase thing, and after reading it I've got some more thoughts on just how many ways in which Coinbase is being dumb and bad:

1) Levine points out that the lending program itself counts as an investment contract and thus a security, independent of the type of assets that the users will lend under the program. But...

2) Levine actually explains the lending program incorrectly. He seems to think users invest bitcoins (not a security, probably), but they would actually invest USDC (an unregistered illegal security offering, probably), per Coinbase's statement. So Levine is correctly identifying one problem (the lending program constitutes an investment contract and thus a security), but he's missing a second problem: Coinbase is soliciting investments by swapping them for unregistered securities issued by a Coinbase affiliate. So now I'm curious - is the SEC focusing on the lending program alone, or are they looking at the lending program and USDC?

3) He also points out that if the lending program isn't ruled an investment contract/security, then it's must be thought of as a interest-bearing deposit account - but then they intend to avoid banking regulations by accepting USDC instead of USD. How can the regulators let that stand? What the hell is Coinbase thinking here, can they really expect the financial regulators to allow them to play this hide-the-dollars shell game, did they think the feds would just throw their hands up in bewilderment and say "welp you got us, you found the one weird trick to escape securities and banking regs!"

Well, USDC is a stable coin right? The tea leaves we're getting from regulators point to any stable coin that has an underlying asset that is a security, than is a security. USDC presumably tracks the dollar...wondering why they left that space there (according to previous comments by Gennsler) to say that it might not be. Maybe if its algorthmic, and sufficiently decentralized? The Hinman comments seem to hint at a way that ICOs and crypto coins can possibly, if they're decentralized enough, not be considered a security.

Wondering if one will ever do so tho

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Maybe if its algorthmic, and sufficiently decentralized? The Hinman comments seem to hint at a way that ICOs and crypto coins can possibly, if they're decentralized enough, not be considered a security.

Wondering if one will ever do so tho

"Securities" take many forms but at the end of the day, they all typically represent some kind of claim (sometimes explicit, sometimes implicit) to some underlying thing that has value. So yes, if you make a token or coin that is clearly and demonstrably not tied in any way to some other thing that has value, you can probably argue that it's not a security.

in other words, yes, they already did what you suggest, it's called bitcoin

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
more like insecurity

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Shageletic posted:

Seeing the pod’s nascent form, I felt a boringly pragmatic urge to ask Romundt what happened if, once afloat, you needed to buy a pint of milk. My question seemed to miss the point, too wedded to old-fashioned notions of locality and human connection. The Pods had been designed to have a hatch in the roof, Romundt said. He was talking to some drone creators and imagined people flying to their pods independently, landing on the roof and entering through the hatch. Perhaps that’s how you’d get your milk.

the pods look like they'd make a cool hotel or something but yeah maybe some sort of boat access would have been a good idea for your ocean house?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

HappyHippo posted:

the pods look like they'd make a cool hotel or something but yeah maybe some sort of boat access would have been a good idea for your ocean house?

on some of the designs they show a door at some position in the "stem" thing so presumably you could drive a boat up to that, when the tide is at the right level (they're fixed to the bottom remember!) and the ocean is perfectly calm and flat like in that picture

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Shame Boy posted:

on some of the designs they show a door at some position in the "stem" thing so presumably you could drive a boat up to that, when the tide is at the right level (they're fixed to the bottom remember!) and the ocean is perfectly calm and flat like in that picture

and in some the stem is an elevator that takes you to the underwater part of the house!

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Shame Boy posted:

maybe they need to go all supervillain and have submarine access instead

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

HappyHippo posted:

maybe they need to go all supervillain and have submarine access instead

I used to dream about having a house like that when I was like 7

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

why wouldn't it be a seafloor tether. I mean I can only imagine what going through a storm in one of those would be like then, but it seems like it would be safer in terms of being able to leave.

E: Actually during storms (presuming you had a good air supply, and the pod was really watertight), maybe just reel the tether in and go below-surface to ride it out. If you had a tether and a stem that acted as a ballast/counterweight.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

They haven't even worked out how you leave to get food, there's no way they've thought about such abstract things as "weather"

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

i mean, i'm perfectly okay with a bunch of pods far out to sea where libertarians of their own free will are hermetically sealed into a capsule away from the rest of civilization for all eternity.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Beelzebufo posted:

why wouldn't it be a seafloor tether.
those aren't backed by anything either

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Boxturret posted:

They haven't even worked out how you leave to get food, there's no way they've thought about such abstract things as "weather"
look if it turns out the bubble deathtraps are unsafe you just wait until the storm is over rise from your watery grave and then leave negative feedback for the builder. then the free market will produce a safer seastead for your next playthrough

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
anchorchain

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
boatcoin

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
:sureboat:

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
you know what's a great idea in a time of climate change and rising sea levels?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Antlerhill posted:

you know what's a great idea in a time of climate change and rising sea levels?

chaining bazingas to the ocean floor

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lomarfs continue
https://twitter.com/bennetttomlin/status/1436029698396536834

https://twitter.com/bennetttomlin/status/1436035217035300865

https://nicolaborzi.medium.com/the-lawless-rollercoaster-of-bitcoin-enriches-few-investors-while-many-often-lose-everything-f9b4789444c2

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

cio? more like ciao

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

lol, it turns out it was the literal babagool italian mafia all along.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I am Ludovicus Jan van der Velde. Not necessarily in that order, somehow.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You may call me Jan Ludovicus, you can call me Ludovicus Jan, you can call me Jean-Louis, you can call me JL, but never call me to appear in court.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Baldassarri is a pretty bitcoin name

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

kw0134 posted:

i mean, i'm perfectly okay with a bunch of pods far out to sea where libertarians of their own free will are hermetically sealed into a capsule away from the rest of civilization for all eternity.

oh no the internet connection to the libertarian pod cluster has been cut, how will we hear all the wise advice from the perfectly rational supermen? where will all the world-saving wisdom we so badly need come from oh nooooooo

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Boxturret posted:

Baldassarri is a pretty bitcoin name

agreed. pls add to the official List of Funny Bitcoin Names

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Paladinus posted:

You may call me Jan Ludovicus, you can call me Ludovicus Jan, you can call me Jean-Louis, you can call me JL, but never call me to appear in court.

i can call you pally, and pally when you call me you can call me sir

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

kw0134 posted:

the problem is that the entire reason for all libertarian seasteading projects is the tiny aquatic micronations have no age-of-consent laws

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

well the ones on land tend to be disrupted by bears, so obviously you wanna go where

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

and then discover that sharks are the bears of the ocean

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Beelzebufo posted:

lol, it turns out it was the literal babagool italian mafia all along.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i don't know what SAFEMOON is but twitter thinks i need to pay attention to it, and i take that as a personal insult

what the hell do any of these words mean:
https://twitter.com/SuccessSafe/status/1436257834765889547

lol ok:
https://twitter.com/SafemoonHodle11/status/1436289501144436756

twitter put that tweet like 3 above this one:
https://twitter.com/BABYtrumpMOB/status/1436315607071350785

the only tweet i can find that gives any semblance of indication of what's actually going on that isn't just yelling idiots is this one:
https://twitter.com/jackhainesuk/status/1436305326521864194

so about what you'd expect, i guess