Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Good news. Marvel doesn’t know either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Spencer's Spider-Man is turning Peter into loving Hawkman continuity-wise. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if Peter was actually Uncle Ben and the thief was Kaine, and they had to set the whole thing up as a causal loop to satisfy Aunt May who was actually split into two beings as a result of OMD, one of which was projected back to become Harry Osborne (who never existed as Norman's son) and then became Kindred, but Ben Reilly teamed up with Death again specifically to spite Thanos who goes on to gently caress with Mephisto...

ugh.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Spidey's Choice: he can either have his v-card back or he can gently caress Silk every three seconds because pheromones

there's no third option

Don't you be giving Joe Q any ideas.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Just a head's up, Joe Bennett is off Timeless.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Good.

gently caress that guy.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

:toot:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

:toot:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
ronpaulwedidit.gif

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

I was never going to hold something like that against you, as I know you're not responsible and it was a sticky situation to be in, but I'm really happy to hear this.

Never been happier in my life to see Greg Land on a book.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Tensokuu posted:

I have absolutely zero clue what the hell is happening in Spider-Man. Constantly cutting between multiple conversations where it feels like a jumbled mess just made me flip through this issue and go "o-kay." Jesus, I had a feeling I was going to end up having to come here and ask someone to explain it to me like I'm an idiot.

I had to look it up too.

So here's the deal, apparently.

Harry Osborn died and never came back to life. He created an AI of himself when he was evil, and that AI created clones which were Gabriel and Sarah. And he also made LMDs of Peter's parents.

Mysterio hypnotized Norman into thinking he banged Gwen and that Harry came back from the dead.

Norman sold Harry's soul to Mephisto before Harry was born.

Gabriel and Sarah are hosts for Kindred.

Kindred still hasn't been fully explained. Also why and how the evil AI Harry Osborn is working with him hasn't been explained.

It's super convoluted and pretty terrible.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
wow, i didn't think someone could retcon sins past to be even dumber.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

The best news. Happily going back on my pull list.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

I had to look it up too.

Harry Osborn died and never came back to life. He created an AI of himself when he was evil, and that AI created clones which were Gabriel and Sarah. And he also made LMDs of Peter's parents.

Mysterio hypnotized Norman into thinking he banged Gwen and that Harry came back from the dead.

Kindred still hasn't been fully explained. Also why and how the evil AI Harry Osborn is working with him hasn't been explained.

:psypop:

What the gently caress is wrong with having a fun Spider-Man adventure where he teaches kids at the Jean Grey School? And he keeps doing it while foiling bank robbers or something.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jiro posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with having a fun Spider-Man adventure where he teaches kids at the Jean Grey School? And he keeps doing it while foiling bank robbers or something.

Yeah.

Kind of easy to see why they're giving Peter a break and making Ben Spider-Man for a while here. Like, it's good to retcon Sins Past and OMD, but this is a terrible long, convoluted, drawn out way to do it and Peter hasn't even been really featured in his own book because of all this. So shuffling him off to the side for a while so they can tell Spider-Man stories featuring Spider-Man is a good idea.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This is worse than just having Norman sleep with Gwen.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Why can't they just make some clear cuts in those retcons of terrible stories without digging deeper.
"Yeah that stuff? Let's just agree that never happened. End of discussion."

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Traditionally Marvel just doesn't mention extremely bad or unpopular stories after the fact. By not retconing this and just not bringing it up things would have been way cleaner.

Bananaquiter
Aug 20, 2008

Ron's not here.

I have no idea what's going on in Spider-Man. All these retcons and random pulls are way too much for me to follow. Just end this already.

Yeah I'm completely lost, need Otto to pop in with a big wall of text to explain the plot.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Congrats on…. Greg land????

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Congrats on…. Greg land????

If you need some new pages done ASAP, Greg's your guy!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

I had to look it up too.

The Harry AI was always responsible for the lmd of peters parents. It was also a major part of the story the legacy of evil. The twins were a way of loving with Norman since it’s kids that are not Harry.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

I had to look it up too.

Oh wow I didn’t understand this reveal at all actually. I thought this was all part of the twins being evil for [reason] and Father Harry was completely uninvolved. I actually like the real version less though…

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
First Arno and now Harry. I wonder if Mephisto is building himself a Sinister Six.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Traditionally Marvel just doesn't mention extremely bad or unpopular stories after the fact.

Counterpoint: every Hank Pym story post 1981

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Traditionally Marvel just doesn't mention extremely bad or unpopular stories after the fact. By not retconing this and just not bringing it up things would have been way cleaner.

Avengers 200 is still mentioned

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

TwoPair posted:

Scientist Supreme was fun, OK!

bobkatt013 posted:

Avengers 200 is still mentioned

There are flaws in every system, like this book happening in the first place.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

TwoPair posted:

There are a lot of things I don't like about The Ultimates, but turning Hank Pym into a full-blown domestic abuser is definitely in the top 3.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Imagine being such a fascist rear end in a top hat that people are willing to celebrate getting Greg Land instead of you.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
should have just let Sins Past rock and used Sarah and Gabriel for something cool imo

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

just do a No Way Home and be done with it.

radlum
May 13, 2013

I actually understood the whole thing a lot better thanks to this.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Wait, then who's the Harry who came back after OMD and who's currently in the morgue with Carlie in the current comic?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Argue posted:

Wait, then who's the Harry who came back after OMD and who's currently in the morgue with Carlie in the current comic?

That is probably the Harry that resulted from OMD and the deal MJ/Peter made with Mephisto there.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Why do writers feel the need to retcon bad stories with more bad stories instead of just going on as if they never happened?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jiro posted:

The fact that hanging with the X-Men and dealing with their bullshit would be less baffling tells us that something has gone wrong.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Nilbop posted:

Why do writers feel the need to retcon bad stories with more bad stories instead of just going on as if they never happened?

Seriously. This seems to have been Marvel's way of handling bad stories in the past. The current method is the reason why DC sometimes has to reboot and/or reset their continuity, say, three times within a five year period.

Obviously, this is all going to culminate in the mega crossover event Secret Crisis once Disney buys WB

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
The funny thing is, Spider-Man has been a teacher for mutants. It was actually a very good series too, and reveals that Sauron is just an rear end in a top hat.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Nessus posted:

The fact that hanging with the X-Men and dealing with their bullshit would be less baffling tells us that something has gone wrong.

I just want more comics with Spider-Man being repeatedly grossed out at Stegron and Sauron having super explicit public displays of affection for one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

I mean it’s even more baffling because Spencer’s run started out seeming like it was going to be exactly what we wanted, lots of fun stuff with him back in grad school with Lizard as his prof, Boomerang roommate hijinks, MJ back, etc. And then he for some reason felt compelled to tell his own 90s Clone Saga style convoluted “epic”, which sucks.

But the fact that he’s capable of telling better Spidey stories makes it even more galling.