Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I don't think I've ever seen an Overt Internet Nazi while playing Halo. Hell, I could probably count the amount of times I've been in a game with anyone using voice chat since the OG Xbox days on one hand. Maybe one and a half.

Maybe I'm blessed by the holy light of the matchmaking algorithm? Probably not, though. Be curious to know how common meeting such entities is among people here, and whether or not they're in America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

NumptyScrub posted:

Is there a way to set up potentially problematic costumes that make it obvious you're not one of the lovely people? Or is it best just to steer clear?

Just act with integrity.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Kins posted:

I don't think I've ever seen an Overt Internet Nazi while playing Halo. Hell, I could probably count the amount of times I've been in a game with anyone using voice chat since the OG Xbox days on one hand. Maybe one and a half.

Maybe I'm blessed by the holy light of the matchmaking algorithm? Probably not, though. Be curious to know how common meeting such entities is among people here, and whether or not they're in America.

For me it's still about one obvious one a play session

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

The Kins posted:

I have voice chat disabled for randoms, I haven't seen anything that would be in that realm in any of my matches. Honestly, the only people I've seen are some Twitter personalities that are pointed out pretty quick (and eventually get banned).

I saw way more nazi poo poo in Rust and similar games than I ever have in Halo.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/swaggy_nelson/status/916729824865026050?s=19

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Wow. It's the propeller from his plane. :rolleyes:

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/Razer/status/1435276100444192769

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

:barf:

Speaking of gross things, someone mentioned eSports earlier in the thread which reminded me of Breakout from Halo 5 which is genuinely awesome. Do we know if that's coming to Infinite multiplayer or being dropped? I imagine reverting back to more of a classic Halo feel might make Breakout feel odd since Halo 5 has such refined movement and controls but the whole mode and idea behind it was great, imo. Also an ideal setting for Forge maps rather than having them interfere with map rotation in standard playlists. I'm glad they're focused on Slayer & BTB but I think that Breakout would serve the hardcore eSports crowd well and be a good third pillar for the multiplayer segment of Infinite.

Also, given the updates we've heard about for Firefight in MCC and how awesome Warzone Firefight was in Halo 5, I imagine that's on the development roadmap? Hopefully it doesn't take too long to come to the game but I imagine they'll want a good variety of BTB maps available first. Would be great if we could see it within the first year of post-launch support.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
Breakout is never coming back. it was in the HCS rotation early in H5's life and was removed after pro players reported to not enjoy it.

Warzone FF is 99.9% not getting any other updates. Halo 5 is dying a slow death and has been dying. Once Infinite is out then H5 is going down the toilet for good. The game hasn't had updates for like 2 and a half years.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'd like to see Halo 5 get chucked into MCC just so I could play its multi again (I only played through the dogshit campaign on a friend's xbox more or less), but apparently both Halo 5 and MCC are too unstable for each other and it'd be a huge pain in the rear end

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Shame about Breakout but probably should have been clearer about hoping Infinite just gets a Firefight mode in general :v:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

343 hasn't made one yet. They keep trying to add on to what is already perfect and making it terrible.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
FRIENDSHIP ENDED WITH MONSTER ENERGY
NOW ROCKSTAR IS MY BEST FRIEND

https://twitter.com/rockstarenergy/status/1436011596673961984?s=19

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

The appropriation poo poo sucks. My grandad was a fresh off the boat Norwegian strong man, like for circuses and crazy poo poo. He was awesome, the only trustworthy person in my childhood, and it sucks I can’t celebrate our heritage.

gently caress nazis and gently caress the stupid rear end white supremacists who co-opted the poo poo.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/9/2..._source=twitter

Open flight Sep 24

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

Can't wait!

https://mobile.twitter.com/Halo/status/1436057075466051584

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Happy Hedonist posted:

The appropriation poo poo sucks. My grandad was a fresh off the boat Norwegian strong man, like for circuses and crazy poo poo. He was awesome, the only trustworthy person in my childhood, and it sucks I can’t celebrate our heritage.

gently caress nazis and gently caress the stupid rear end white supremacists who co-opted the poo poo.

This post just after the Monster Energy one made me think they were related, and took me on a strange journey!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
The only flight I've not made it into was the first Infinite one. Hopefully they let me in this one?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Crunchy Black posted:

The only flight I've not made it into was the first Infinite one. Hopefully they let me in this one?
Their Twitter says that "All fully registered Halo Insider profiles as of Sept. 13 are eligible to participate" in the next Infinite flight, so if you're not already reg'd up, you have notice.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Happy Hedonist posted:

Please do not feel ashamed of celebrating your heritage because some Nazi scum co-opted the imagery. If you decide to surrender it then yeah, they win and will then own it, so really if you do value your heritage so strongly then in my opinion you should proudly display and fight for it. The worrying aspect of your mindset and being made to feel shame for something you absolutely should not feel shame for is that if left unchecked, eventually every single aspect of culture around the world would be surrendered to the alt-right Nazis, and that would be tragic and quite frankly horrifying.

The other worrying aspect of this is that it's quite a US-centric problem. Do you see Norwegians or citizens of other Nordic countries burning their history and committing suicide en masse because some turd involved in the Capitol riots (and other supporters here and there) have co-opted their culture? No, and I strongly suspect they would fight tooth and nail to hold onto it rather than let those fuckers have it. Even in wider popular culture within the US itself, Nordic imagery is not associated with Nazis in the public mind. Yesterday Sony unveiled gameplay footage of the new God of War game made by their Santa Monica Studio, which has seen the main character transition from Greek mythology (something else that has been co-opted to a degree) to Norse mythology, and nobody is concerned that it is promoting Nazi ideals. One of Disney's most popular characters right now is Thor, do you think anyone walked out of the Avengers movies or Ragnarok thinking about Nazis or how they promoted Fascism? Last I checked, Love & Thunder is still highly anticipated.

This is a topic that could be discussed at length but in general? If you want to celebrate your heritage (and this goes for anyone else - even if you just think the armor looks cool) then use it and enjoy it. Don't let Nazi scum take that away from you and the world. The only problem is that this armor has not been seen in Halo Infinite and the concern/hostility surrounding it's presence was directed at an update for Halo: The Master Chief Collection. As of right now, no armor like this (or the other armor shown) has been seen in gameplay or screenshots for Halo Infinite, but given the seasonal nature of the multiplayer portion of this free-to-play game, it is certainly reasonable to think that such armor designs will eventually make their way into the game.

When it comes to diversity and being inclusive, Halo has a very particular problem that the vast majority of games do not when it comes to representation, and that is the nature of the game design meaning that everyone is covered head-to-toe in battle armor and so the developers are much more limited than those of other shooters such as Apex Legends or Overwatch, which can provide much greater representation through having specific character designs as opposed to Halo where in multiplayer we never see anyone's face. Even Master Chief himself, one of the most iconic characters in gaming, has never had his face revealed.

So what solutions are there to address this? The people that complained about the existence of the armor did not present a solution to the issues they raised but I think that there are solutions however, even within the limited confines of Halo multiplayer character design. As such, my proposals for addressing this issue within the confines of the game design would be as follows:

-Support the Xbox Adaptive controller. I am unsure if this is confirmed or not yet, but allowing disabled gamers to enjoy the game along with everyone else would be fantastic. Inclusion could also extend to armor design with some prosthetics that would not look out of place, in my opinion. I think prosthetic armor is actually in this game which is excellent if so. Accessibility options such as colorblind settings etc. are thankfully more common in games with each passing year and I would be surprised if Halo Infinite did not have these features as well.

-Armor shaders of greater complexity. We're used to the traditional green that Master Chief sports as well as the old Red vs. Blue that we are accustomed to, but now that 343 is taking steps away from that tradition and moving to outlines to tell friend from foe (and already allowed color selections in a limited degree) - they can now get creative with armor shading and while what we have seen so far has been quite basic, I think, such as maybe blue legs with one red arm etc. they can certainly go much farther and introduce armor coloring to match the Transgender pride flag along with the LGBT flag and others. Let people rock their Norwegian heritage in pride colors. It would be glorious to see a Spartan in Trans pride-colored Viking armor storming across the map wielding the gravity hammer :rock:

-Armor badges. This is generally along the same lines as above but I think players should be able to proudly display badges of their choosing on the armor their Spartan wears. Obvious locations are shoulder pads and chest and I think this would be great - let players rock the pride flag on their armor, a BLM symbol or others of their choosing. Get that in the game and allow it to be displayed. Apex Legends has banners for each player where you can choose what statistics you wish to display (e.g. how many kills in the season) as well as space above to display three badges. Many badges are tied to gameplay-related accomplishments but there are also inclusive badges as well such as BLM etc. and 343 could adopt something similar for player nameplates and emblems, they just need to put some effort into expanding the existing system beyond what's available but the groundwork is there with ranking displays.

-A good reporting system and banning known racist, transphobic, homophobic and Nazi associations (e.g. SS/88/HH/MAGA) from being able to be used in clan tags. Have a list of known choices added to a filter and continue to monitor and update it as time goes by so that people don't enter a game and see that vileness. Ideally any time someone tries to set their clan tag as something like that the game would give them an automatic 24-hour ban and a warning about hate speech so that they cannot actually progress to gameplay and subject people to that stuff. A three strikes rule with permaban that requires review by a 343 employee before said player is allowed back would be excellent. If they can get it right, an automated system such as this could work wonders for weeding out toxic players before they even enter their first game. I also feel this will be quite important as being a free-to-play game available on PC where players can utilize VPNs to get around bans, 343 will need something automated to handle things like this.

-We already have Spartan gender selection and 343 has confirmed that they are expanding Spartan individuality to support more body types and voices. We do not know how deep this will be yet but it is a good step towards expanding how inclusive the game is and sets the groundwork for further expansion in the future. Even if voice selection is not as varied as we would hope at launch? They have laid the foundations for deepening this system to be more inclusive and once again circumvent the limitations imposed by Spartan armor hiding the person within. Voice is an excellent way to circumvent that limitation with gender and racial diversity.

Tldr: Don't let Nazis dictate what you can and can't do. They tried it once before and failed because people took a stand and shot them. Also, while your heart is very much in the right place, your concerns are also currently not an issue for this game! They may be in the future but 343 has ways to circumvent their design constraints to mitigate any concerns people may have and I hope that they would make use of them. Even if they do not, though? That is still no reason to be ashamed of and not celebrate your heritage. Be proud, don't let scum take that away from you. As it stands right now however, 343 is making an effort to expand how inclusive the game is and although we won't know how deep this goes until launch we do know that they are trying, and I hope that they continue to do so and expand on the work they are doing throughout the life of the game. In the meantime, continue to be proud of your awesome grandad - nobody can take that away from you.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

SUNKOS posted:

-Support the Xbox Adaptive controller. I am unsure if this is confirmed or not yet, but allowing disabled gamers to enjoy the game along with everyone else would be fantastic. Inclusion could also extend to armor design with some prosthetics that would not look out of place, in my opinion. I think prosthetic armor is actually in this game which is excellent if so. Accessibility options such as colorblind settings etc. are thankfully more common in games with each passing year and I would be surprised if Halo Infinite did not have these features as well.
I'm pretty sure the Adaptive Controller is a system-side thing that looks identical to a normal controller to games. It's already supported in pretty much every game that doesn't demand a specific controller like Guitar Hero, and those are pretty dead right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Infinite has sci-fi robot-limb prosthetic cosmetics, MCC added them to Reach IIRC, at least for arms.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

The Kins posted:

I'm pretty sure the Adaptive Controller is a system-side thing that looks identical to a normal controller to games. It's already supported in pretty much every game that doesn't demand a specific controller like Guitar Hero, and those are pretty dead right now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Infinite has sci-fi robot-limb prosthetic cosmetics, MCC added them to Reach IIRC, at least for arms.

Reach already had the robotic arm in the 360 version, they just added it to more armor pieces. And Infinite has robotic arms. They want to be inclusive as possible.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Infinite has robot legs too. Also prosthetics aren't tied to armour or anything, they're just an option in customisation. I tried to play around with it in the last flight but I found the customisation screen buggy and it wouldn't apply.

Hope there are options for Spartan voice in Infinite, considering how chatty they are. I couldn't find it when I looked.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Thanks for the kind words Sunkos. I do sorta celebrate our Norwegian heritage at home. My office is full of all his knickknacks, including a Norwegian flag and a kick rear end looking Viking helmet. I’m super conscious of it though, I guess if anyone gives me any poo poo I can use it as an excuse to talk about how awesome my grandad was (cause he was). The dude was a beer guzzling, pipe smoking, buff as gently caress teddy bear.

Also, I’ve been eyeing the adaptive controller because I have lovely early onset RA and some days I can’t use a controller at all. I don’t think it would help though because my problem is that I need a super comfortable switch style split controller, whatever those are called. If I could rest my arms and wrists at a normal angle I could play without any issues but I don’t think such a thing exists.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
A quick search brought me these:

(Disclaimer: Apparently will crash a pc on startup so plug in after that)
https://world.splitfish.com/fragfx-game-controllers/fragfx-fragchuck-pc-mac.html

Also joy con drivers for pc:
https://github.com/fossephate/JoyCon-Driver

I have to imagine a sturdy third party joycon set with those drivers will be your best bet. I do a lot of expirmenting with Halo (and write guides) so please let me know if you'd like me to do a deep dive into this for you, nothing makes me happier than being helpful!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Agoat posted:

A quick search brought me these:

(Disclaimer: Apparently will crash a pc on startup so plug in after that)
https://world.splitfish.com/fragfx-game-controllers/fragfx-fragchuck-pc-mac.html

Also joy con drivers for pc:
https://github.com/fossephate/JoyCon-Driver

I have to imagine a sturdy third party joycon set with those drivers will be your best bet. I do a lot of expirmenting with Halo (and write guides) so please let me know if you'd like me to do a deep dive into this for you, nothing makes me happier than being helpful!

I REALLY appreciate you looking into this for me, god drat. Thank you.

The problem is that I play on a series X. It looks like the adaptive controller will let me use those devices with the console though! I'm going to look into this more too, but yea, if you run into anything else let me know! <3

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this or not, but as someone with pretty severe arthritis I'm going to describe what would work best, because this is going to quickly become an issue for us aging game enjoyers (I'm not even that old). The problem is that modern controllers have to be held in a contorted way. Your wrists are bent, the shoulder buttons require rather unnatural finger movements, and it's all crammed together in such a way you have to hold it on your lap or contort your whole upper body. An ideal controller for someone with arthritis (or carpal tunnel) would be one where you could wrest your arms at your side without contorting your wrists while also being comfortable in the hands. The joy cons are way too small unfortunately, but they are on the right track. I imagine a big, chunky, soft split controller shaped very similar to that fragfx controller.

In the future I think there is going to be a big market for these kinds of devices. If you or anyone else would like to help, I was thinking about putting together an evidence based article to send to MS describing why they should start making these things.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Hedonist posted:

I REALLY appreciate you looking into this for me, god drat. Thank you.

The problem is that I play on a series X. It looks like the adaptive controller will let me use those devices with the console though! I'm going to look into this more too, but yea, if you run into anything else let me know! <3

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this or not, but as someone with pretty severe arthritis I'm going to describe what would work best, because this is going to quickly become an issue for us aging game enjoyers (I'm not even that old). The problem is that modern controllers have to be held in a contorted way. Your wrists are bent, the shoulder buttons require rather unnatural finger movements, and it's all crammed together in such a way you have to hold it on your lap or contort your whole upper body. An ideal controller for someone with arthritis (or carpal tunnel) would be one where you could wrest your arms at your side without contorting your wrists while also being comfortable in the hands. The joy cons are way too small unfortunately, but they are on the right track. I imagine a big, chunky, soft split controller shaped very similar to that fragfx controller.

In the future I think there is going to be a big market for these kinds of devices. If you or anyone else would like to help, I was thinking about putting together an evidence based article to send to MS describing why they should start making these things.

This is the right thread, unless you decide you'd like to make your own. :)

I have had a great experience with the Brook converters, I used to use my Xbox One pad on PS4 in fighting game tournaments, so if there's another controller that has worked with a wired connection, that is an option, too.

I think the biggest problem is getting the Joy Cons to connect to anything that works with an Xbox. I actually wonder if someone could make some sort of wired split controller. In my head you'd just have the PCB branch out to the two "controllers" and the system itself. I have a friend that actually makes controllers for Smash Bros., I might ask him if such a device would be feasible.

Edit: Literally the adaptive controller has a nunchuck for this.

These things actually let you set up two sets of inputs for the buttons, which is insanely cool. I wonder if having something almost like a keyboard for one hand and this nunchuck for the other would be a good fit?

Agoat fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 12, 2021

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So what's going on with the test flight this weekend? Is it pvp or bots again?

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I think it's Big Team Battle time :twisted:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SUNKOS posted:

Hell yeah

Also, bring back multi team

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RBA Starblade posted:

So what's going on with the test flight this weekend? Is it pvp or bots again?

SUNKOS posted:

According to the latest dev blog, the new test flight will be split into two weekends - this weekend will be 4v4 Arena, next will be 12v12 BTB. More info Wednesday.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

I got my "you're in for these 2 weekends" email

:hellyeah:

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica
I'm in!

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Going to be a new Arena map added as well. I like the concept art for that desert BTB map on Zeta Halo too, I wonder if they'll ever add dynamic map events such as sandstorms, for example? Things like that have been entertaining in games that have integrated them and done them right.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm in again woo

E: nothing we get to keep to carry over to December right?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 21, 2021

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Also got my invite, can't wait to see what progress they've made

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

A lot of Big Team Battle streams on Twitch right now and it looks amazing :swoon:

Edit: Turns out everyone's just watching a video and I found it so I'll share here. They show a new Arena map and then also some BTB gameplay at the end before a new cinematic related to the multiplayer story. Aesthetically it really does look like they have gone hard on the classic Halo look which I think will please people a lot as well, but I'm still hoping that we get some more unusual environments akin to what we saw in Halo 4 particularly. Hoping we get a map set in London like we see in the aforementioned cinematic as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hvv5BuXcqs

SUNKOS fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 22, 2021

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Happy Hedonist posted:

you can, just like....don't say nazi poo poo

if some weirdo gets mad at you for wearing something that you think looks cool in a game then they can gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
So to steer the conversation towards Halo Infinite and away from genocide - in the UK it's possible to now download the tech preview. However I'm being told my account is not authorised to play which makes me thing that we're waiting for someone to throw the switch.

Just as a heads up to preload if people want to.