Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

RIP to anyone wishing winota would get unbanned in historic

i had never considered the winota werewolf synergy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Rinkles posted:

Is the thread overestimating Fateful Absense a bit? I mean it is card disadvantage.

It's two mana unconditional removal and they have to play off curve for it to be card disadvantage.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
my frame of reference is Declaration in Stone, but this has obvious advantages over that

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

mikeraskol posted:

I'm really annoyed at how bad new Teferi is. The +1 and -2 are loving worthless.

There should never be another playable Teferi.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It’s pretty rare to get white Instant speed removal that’s:
2 CMC
Target agnostic
No significant downside
Straight up destroys instead of some hosed up pacifism variant

This is gonna be the Vraska’s Contempt of this set, the vegetables you gotta craft before you can craft desert.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Lone Goat posted:

It's a reprint from MBS, of a phyrexian card which tend to stretch into black a little.

Besides that, blue's in two tribes that don't mind a sacrifice very much, wu spirits with disturb and ub zombies with decayed. It's a card that supports both in the color they share.

Deranged Outcast from DKA seems super weird like that but it's human tribal support, a morbid enabler, and can deactivate undying, all in one, by doing a green thing somewhat unusually. Sometimes a card seems off but it makes sense in context. Knowing about Madness and Theshold explains Hapless Researcher, another blue card that kills a guy to draw, for example.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Rinkles posted:

Is the thread overestimating Fateful Absense a bit? I mean it is card disadvantage.

you are trading a ton of tempo (the difference between 2 mana and whatever you removed, plus 2 mana to activate the clue) for a card. seems decent agaisnt aggro and basically worthless agaisnt control. I dont think its that good either

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

babypolis posted:

you are trading a ton of tempo (the difference between 2 mana and whatever you removed, plus 2 mana to activate the clue) for a card. seems decent agaisnt aggro and basically worthless agaisnt control. I dont think its that good either

Most removal spells are pretty bad against control decks though? Even if they get a card this lets you snipe a PW game 1 before swapping it out for better stuff.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I want an alt-art where the coffin is replaced with a counter with an empty lunch box clearly labled Sorin.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

fadam posted:

Seems like a stretch for blue, no?

Blue is the main card draw color, so it makes sense to me that it can get any kind of conditional card draw, even if that effect usually shows up in a different color.

Sort of like how dealing damage to attacking/blocking creatures is a white effect, but can also be red, which is the main damage-dealing color.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Rinkles posted:

my frame of reference is Declaration in Stone, but this has obvious advantages over that

Dec was a good card

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

This art is loving terrible. Jfc

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

Rinkles posted:

Path is also card disadvantage.

If your opponent gets the card from Absence, you are probably way ahead on tempo. I can see it being an issue, and it is an actual drawback, but the card seems promising.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Imagine being able to afford to pay for a clue between Thalia, Esper Sentinel and Mana Tithe.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Black aint gonna draw 3 cards so it has to be blue. Sacing a creature is a decay payoff.

It's kinda weird, but things can get a little muddied when a set is playing with themes that generally just fall into black (i.e. horror)

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It'll be good in aggro but awkward in any other deck due to the card disadvantage. DiS is significantly worse than it looks even though it hardcounters tokens and sometimes blows out draws where they draw multiples.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Also didn't Nahiri trap Sorin in stone or something at the end of the last Innistrad story? How'd he get out?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

he cast anguished unmaking on it

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Framboise posted:

Also didn't Nahiri trap Sorin in stone or something at the end of the last Innistrad story? How'd he get out?

the big 'every planeswalker gets pulled here' in war of the spark yanked him out of the stone iirc

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Eej posted:

Imagine being able to afford to pay for a clue between Thalia, Esper Sentinel and Mana Tithe.

you're right, op. the combination of thalia and a two mana instant would be absolutely brutal for an opponent to recover from

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I mean that's how Taxes works yes

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What am I missing

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Can't tell what I'm looking at here

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Human vs. Spirit, Spirit vs. Zombie, Zombie vs. Vampire, Vampire vs. Werewolf, Werewolf vs. Human.

It's the other tribe for the color.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

you can see glimpses of the other adversaries in each card. cuz they are all adversaries

a ghostly claw in the white one, a dainty hat in the green one, etc

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

oh cool

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

It'll be good in aggro but awkward in any other deck due to the card disadvantage. DiS is significantly worse than it looks even though it hardcounters tokens and sometimes blows out draws where they draw multiples.

At least in Historic there are times where you'll have to think twice about casting Fateful Absence, with all the Indomitable Creativity variants running around, but on the whole I'd take it over Dec in Stone any day of the week.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Black aint gonna draw 3 cards so it has to be blue. Sacing a creature is a decay payoff.

It's kinda weird, but things can get a little muddied when a set is playing with themes that generally just fall into black (i.e. horror)

Bankrupt in Blood and similar cards like Village Rites are becoming more common. Vivisection was a great splash for blue to feel more black in MBS and I can respect the U/B zombie flavor here.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

every card has some object that relates to the next card is the WUBRG cycle

W has the Spectral's hand
U has the hand from Tainted
B has Bloodthirsty's bat form
R has claw marks from Primal
G has the hat from Intrepid

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I just really feel like it doesn't matter. Like the fact that you can tag a PW with it makes it so that it's just amazing. I also kinda feel like if you're playing a control deck and cast this against an aggro deck it doesn't really matter if it's card disadvantage because of how it lines up tempowise. Being an instant and especially being able to tag pws is just so crazy good.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Blood Divination is literally the same card in black

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Sickening posted:

This art is loving terrible. Jfc

It perfectly captures the mood of a guy being really fuckin pissed that his gramps got stolen, I think.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Neat.

This seems pretty good, because of the immediate effect. 3/4 across 2 bodies for 3 isn't terrible, the trigger plays well with human sac stuff, the lifelink is nice, and the flavor text is fun.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

This seems pretty good, because of the immediate effect. 3/4 across 2 bodies for 3 isn't terrible, the trigger plays well with human sac stuff, the lifelink is nice, and the flavor text is fun.

Good art at least.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cool art concept with the different perspectives, to make it consistent they shouldn’t show the bishop in the corrupter’s art but that might make the theme less clear

Danger Diabolik
Feb 9, 2014

I love that she's holding an unlucky planeswalker doll

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

^^^ nice catch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I think this set is gonna rock lads, Magic is Kino again.