Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

And this is ultimately why your "David didn't create the alien" is a weak interpretation of both Alien: Covenant and the series of films you've grouped together with it. The film shows David very clearly engineering this thing from a space-fungus. There's no evidence of pre-existing designs for him to duplicate, there's no indication of how he could duplicate those designs, it's not in his character to just rip off another design, and the claim that he came up with an identical design on his own through a sort of 'convergent evolution' is pretty ludicrous.

*It also depends on us not remembering that the queen is totally bloated and immobile, with no way of arranging the eggs in the fairly regular patterns as they appear in Alien. Also, there is obviously no indication in Alien of any of the 'hive' stuff: resin, etc.

We can look at them separately, but Covenant is a direct sequel to Prometheus. We know David did not create the Black Goo, he found loads of jars full of it in the previous movie. In the very same place he found the goo, there were artistic depictions of Aliens on the walls.

So, did he come up with it on his own? It appears he did not. He is portrayed as something of a megalomaniac, and I think it entirely fits his character to rip something off and claim at his own genius design. He's not as perfect as he thinks he is - he is shown to be wrong about things, even if he fully believes that he is not.

David uses pre-existing Science Goo, that he did not develop. The end result is a creature that looks a lot like a creature that the Engineers were clearly familiar with - something that they depicted in their art.

It seems more that David is mixing ingredients into boxed brownie mix and then claiming creation when the end result is something that looks and tastes like a brownie.

We get a very Alien-like creature at the end of Prometheus. David's only contribution to this very Xeno-Like creature was to toss a drop of goo into a drink.

EDIT: I don't know how to add images directly to posts. Apologies for talking so much about a mural and not showing it but you can see this mural in Prometheus when they are exploring the Engineer base.

https://imgur.com/a/yZHQMTY

In the center is something that looks very much like our Alien. On the sides you can see things that look very much like facehuggers. It would be strange to conclude that David came up with this stuff on his own when his character saw these things. This seems to point to me that the Aliens existed at least a few thousand years before the events of the films.

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Neo Rasa posted:

Are you saying someone grew (or eggmorphed) a bunch of eggs and placed them in the containment area after the pilot/ship was long dead?

That's one way it could've happened. We know that the containment area should contain a bunch of mutagen jars - they were stored in the same kind of loose grid when the explorers first discovered them in Prometheus. Before Covenant I might've guessed is that an egg is just what you get if you let one of those sit in the wrong environment for long enough. Now it could be that David or someone carrying on his work affected that same transformation, or Daniels transmogrified into the first alien queen produced a series of eggs that David or someone else went on to arrange, or David just went to town on the hundreds of embryos now at his mercy. How and why he and/or the derelict got to that planet specifically is probably its own story.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

The main reason I don't think David developed the Alien really, but is instead recreating/modifying something that already existed, is that in Prometheus you can see murals which show stylized depictions of the Alien. You can even see facehuggers throatfucking hosts in it. The characters seem to conclude that the base in Prometheus was active about two thousand years ago, so the Aliens are at least that old.

There's an actual pre-facehugger throat-penetrating parasite in Prometheus already: the "trilobite". The facehugger-like things depicted actually resemble it more than huggers proper, since they're kind of smooth and tentacular rather than arachnoid and even have these leading trunks that you don't see on either creature. Like the central xenomorph-esque figure, ichneumon-like parasite depositors are just the kind of thing you get if you drive life to develop and recombine too far and too fast.

The claim is not that there's ever been a blind monster that bites you or grabby monster that impregnates you before, but that the specific "Skywalker" line of xenomorphs-we-know, the ones that EU comics assume to just mysteriously be everywhere throughout the galaxy in basically identical form, actually hail from a particular clutch of eggs that came about thanks to several doomed space missions and one vengeful android's artistic sensibilities.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

That's one way it could've happened. We know that the containment area should contain a bunch of mutagen jars - they were stored in the same kind of loose grid when the explorers first discovered them in Prometheus.

We see how they store jars on a ship. It looks like this

The Head room is not on the ship. Its underneath the dome structure.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

banned from Starbucks posted:

Weirdly, what that most resembles is the Nostromo's engine/reactor chamber - not Parker and Brett's little workspace housing the scuttle system, but the massive turbolift dimension it overlooks.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to be so rich I can recreate this in my house but with red bulls

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Baronjutter posted:

I watched a bunch of Fireteam and it looks... really bad. Twitchy movement, bad 3rd person camera, zero suspenseful alien vibes. It's just 3rd person hallway shooter without even a cover system. I'm glad a lot of people like it but man I don't think it's a good game let alone a good alien game.

Everything xeno said is on point. To me the main selling point of the game is getting to be a space marine in very nicely rendered environments that pull from the entire series with a character that is customizable to look like how I'd want my OC marine to look. It probably looks shittier to an observer but there is something special there in playing the game. The third person perspective helps out a ton because you can see your character more often, which lends a certain attachment to them. On harder difficulties you can easily get overrun and its quite difficult, which offers more of something akin to survival horror (you have less resources too). In the end you're ultimate badasses so you can persevere, and look drat good while doing it. The horde mode has 1 map currently, but its the xeno hive Katanga facility which looks loving great when you see the aliens crawling out of the smoke (that looks just like the movie) and you're shooting with your buds. Seeing a hallway full of xenos and lighting em up with a smartgun has yet to get old and I've put a ton of hours into the game.

The devs have promised at least a year of content including new game play modes, customizations, weapons, and classes. If you look at the below video for the new class that drops tomorrow you can see some new customizations including Tennessee's straw cowboy hat and the ear flap outdoor cap from covenant! They are really pulling from all over to bring cool aliens franchise poo poo to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy2HRgCI9uw

I watched a video of it where the guy deploys a sentry turret and it was the size of his boot like wtf.

The big boy turrets are in the game and you have some encounters where you need to get them going again while aliens descend on you.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

True, since the ships are at least able to function as bombers they've got the jars tightly packed in this sort of gatling gun feeder belt arrangement (at least I think you see one in the Covenant flashback that has David actually carpet bombing the Engineer city).

The jar arrangement in the head room is reminiscent of the egg arrangement in the derelict's... I guess you'd call them wings?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ferrinus posted:

True, since the ships are at least able to function as bombers they've got the jars tightly packed in this sort of gatling gun feeder belt arrangement (at least I think you see one in the Covenant flashback that has David actually carpet bombing the Engineer city).

The jar arrangement in the head room is reminiscent of the egg arrangement in the derelict's... I guess you'd call them wings?
Do you have a screen grab of the jar arrangement? I don’t remember what it looked like.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

Do you have a screen grab of the jar arrangement? I don’t remember what it looked like.

You mean in Prometheus? I dug this up off a Google image search:

Here's David launching them in Covenant. It looks like they were hanging upside down in a more tightly-packed grid, but I'm not sure if they were also being fed in and replaced in that launching arrangement or not.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sweet, thanks!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Ferrinus posted:

You are correct. In one of the Aliens Fireteam Elite campaign levels you also see the jars packed into the belt fed bomber arrangement. You can see the jars being prepped for bombing 30s into the clip from Covenant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnOy051aTJo&t=30s

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Ferrinus posted:

You mean in Prometheus? I dug this up off a Google image search:

What Scott’s implying here is that the objects in Alien have a similar religious significance.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Jerkface posted:

Everything xeno said is on point. To me the main selling point of the game is getting to be a space marine in very nicely rendered environments that pull from the entire series with a character that is customizable to look like how I'd want my OC marine to look. It probably looks shittier to an observer but there is something special there in playing the game. The third person perspective helps out a ton because you can see your character more often, which lends a certain attachment to them. On harder difficulties you can easily get overrun and its quite difficult, which offers more of something akin to survival horror (you have less resources too). In the end you're ultimate badasses so you can persevere, and look drat good while doing it. The horde mode has 1 map currently, but its the xeno hive Katanga facility which looks loving great when you see the aliens crawling out of the smoke (that looks just like the movie) and you're shooting with your buds. Seeing a hallway full of xenos and lighting em up with a smartgun has yet to get old and I've put a ton of hours into the game.

The devs have promised at least a year of content including new game play modes, customizations, weapons, and classes. If you look at the below video for the new class that drops tomorrow you can see some new customizations including Tennessee's straw cowboy hat and the ear flap outdoor cap from covenant! They are really pulling from all over to bring cool aliens franchise poo poo to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy2HRgCI9uw

The big boy turrets are in the game and you have some encounters where you need to get them going again while aliens descend on you.

I'm really liking Fireteam so far. Honestly I would have happily paid 20 bucks for more Left 4 Dead campaigns, and this is basically an Aliens reskin so I'm all about it.

I really HATE unlockable/cosmetic/currency cruft that infests games these days (Vermintide2), but Aliens is actually pretty restrained with it. There's only two currencies, one for cosmetics, and the other for buying new guns and such. The most shocking part of the game was how Not-Annoying it was - unlocking stuff for the Pulse Rifle unlocks it for every class, so you can switch classes and still use your pimped out weapons. Screw you, Deep Rock Galactic.

We have only played 3 missions so far but I like how they can actually be pretty difficult - the game really does sell itself when you've got dozens of dots on your motion sensor and your crew can't help but laugh and yell out movie quotes.

It seems low budget, but in a good way. I feel like a bigger budgeted game would have doubled down on all the lootbox nonsense while here it seems pretty laser focused on just running around blasting aliens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Can Fireteam be played single player?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Up to the point of Standard, which is basically easy mode (whereas Casual would be effortless). The bots are essentially useless on Intense+, and a minority of the unlocks require you to be on Intense.

On Extreme and Insane difficulties, which are basically meant as tryhard superchallenge difficulties, the enemies get pretty spongey, but the dev team has already tuned difficulty around at least once in patches. By the way the first content patch came out today.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Neo Rasa posted:

It can, but it's way more fun with people. Especially on the harder difficulties.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Mr. Grapes! posted:

EDIT: I don't know how to add images directly to posts. Apologies for talking so much about a mural and not showing it but you can see this mural in Prometheus when they are exploring the Engineer base.

In the center is something that looks very much like our Alien. On the sides you can see things that look very much like facehuggers. It would be strange to conclude that David came up with this stuff on his own when his character saw these things. This seems to point to me that the Aliens existed at least a few thousand years before the events of the films.

I saw that as more of a blueprint. Meaning, it showed what the Engineers wanted to achieve with their black ooze experiments, not that the aliens already existed in that form.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Ha, those are copies of Giger's draft facehugger designs, nice

e: any future Alien thing that tries to branch out design-wise is really up the creek sans Giger

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 9, 2021

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I dunno, I’ve seen fan art on, like, Deviant and poo poo that looked really close to his style. Like, way closer than Prometheus and Covenant managed to pull off.

Edit— I’m not just talking fan art of the Alien, I’m talking cityscapes, starships, environments, all kinds of stuff.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 9, 2021

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Its less fun for someone to just try and copy Giger's style, though. His art was based on his own nightmares, so it was personal to him.

It would be cool to see someone like Masahiro Ito doing their take on the Alien creature and ship designs.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
The lead creature designer, Neville Page, was trying to deconstruct Giger's style in Prometheus. So separating the bio from the mechanical, basically.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Rewatched Alien today, been a few years since I'd seen it last. Wow what a great movie!

I sort of love all the weird parts where like the editing and cinematography doesn't quite line up with each other. Like when Ash explains about the contract requiring investigating the signal and Parker is pissed off about it. I also like how there's times when you just can't fuckin understand anybody. Like when Parker is yelling about wanting to kill the Alien and Ripley is yelling at him about it. It's really good realistic argument bullshit. "As long as it means killing it" "Obviously that means killing it!"

I realized I was watching the director's cut when the Dallas and Brent are eggs scene came up. It definitely feels somewhat out of place... just a little.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xenomrph posted:

I dunno, I’ve seen fan art on, like, Deviant and poo poo that looked really close to his style. Like, way closer than Prometheus and Covenant managed to pull off.

Edit— I’m not just talking fan art of the Alien, I’m talking cityscapes, starships, environments, all kinds of stuff.

I'd love some links you have any!

Also, I think I was unfair to Fireteam. I'm watching more of it on youtube and I think I just got stuck watching some very spazzy console players that didn't care about the plot at all and didn't understand teamwork in the slightest. I'm now watching some folks who actually stay together, work as a team, and explore all the data and lore and it's much more enjoyable. Totally not a game I'd like to play, but I guess I'm so thirsty for alien media I'm watching some LP's.

Something like Fireteam but first person and with more "movie balanced" aliens would be cool. Actually make them at least as deadly as shown in the movies where you're basically screwed if they get you in melee and their acid will absolutely gently caress you up. Fewer but more dangerous aliens and gameplay that, like Aliens the film, has you doing a mix of wave-shooting and survival horror stuff between the waves.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Xenomrph posted:

That sounds cool, do you have any links to hand? Most of the stuff that riffs or expands on Giger I've seen has not done much for me, probably the best I've seen is Alex "Gutalin" Kozhanov's:

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fireteam is third person because you need to have good spatial awareness and mobility while you are playing it. Dodge-rolling (the correct direction), knowing what direction you are being damaged from, being able to see AOE buff/damage zones around you, being clear on whether someone is near your flamethrower, and a bunch of other stuff is critical. It also has a cover system that seems unimportant outside of a certain section of the game at first, but can be used advantageously elsewhere, especially with the right weapons.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Some of the stuff I’ve seen is very close to that first picture (not so much the other two) but I don’t recognize the artist’s name so I don’t know if I’m thinking of the same guy. I’ll try and track it down and post links later on today.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Fireteam is third person because [...]

Also to see all the cool cosmetics :allears:

Paying extra for the Vasquez bandana and "adios" decal is worth it to support the devs. Still waiting on Drake's cap with the beads and the smartgunner eye piece thing. Will gladly pay for those as well.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm still watching through the game, but there's some great and respectful worldbuilding here. I'm not 100% sure where the game fits in, timeline wise. It seems a good while after Aliens with how much politics have changed and the colonial marines going from hired corporate goons to a surprisingly anti-corporate-oppression colonial police force of sorts. I love all the little lore drops and references like the Three World Empire and "proggies".

I wish there was more poo poo set in this universe. Hell I'd play a space trading/exploration and business game set in the universe. Run cargo, pick up contracts, investigate unknown signals, could be a blast and really explore the universe from a more birds-eye perspective

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

teagone posted:

Also to see all the cool cosmetics :allears:

Paying extra for the Vasquez bandana and "adios" decal is worth it to support the devs. Still waiting on Drake's cap with the beads and the smartgunner eye piece thing. Will gladly pay for those as well.
The smartgunner eyepiece is in the game, I have it. I’m not sure if it was a random loot drop from one of the in-mission hidden crates, but I think it might have been. I’ll check the armory shop next time I’m in-game and make sure it’s not hiding in there.

Baronjutter posted:

I'm still watching through the game, but there's some great and respectful worldbuilding here. I'm not 100% sure where the game fits in, timeline wise. It seems a good while after Aliens with how much politics have changed and the colonial marines going from hired corporate goons to a surprisingly anti-corporate-oppression colonial police force of sorts. I love all the little lore drops and references like the Three World Empire and "proggies".

I wish there was more poo poo set in this universe. Hell I'd play a space trading/exploration and business game set in the universe. Run cargo, pick up contracts, investigate unknown signals, could be a blast and really explore the universe from a more birds-eye perspective
The game is set in 2202 if I remember right.

You might be interested in the tabletop RPG books, even if just for the “lore”. The author of the RPG was a consultant on Fireteam so there’s a lot of overlap and Fireteam references the RPG a lot.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

The smartgunner eyepiece is in the game, I have it. I’m not sure if it was a random loot drop from one of the in-mission hidden crates, but I think it might have been. I’ll check the armory shop next time I’m in-game and make sure it’s not hiding in there.

Ahh, it's definitely not in the requisition/rep stock. So yeah, it's either from a hidden cache or a mission reward from one of the higher difficulties then I guess!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Xenomrph posted:

The game is set in 2202 if I remember right.

You might be interested in the tabletop RPG books, even if just for the “lore”. The author of the RPG was a consultant on Fireteam so there’s a lot of overlap and Fireteam references the RPG a lot.

Oh yeah, I was all over that book before it even officially came out. I'm one of those nerds who just loves lore dumps and worldbuilding.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

lmao @ that giant nutsack resting on the victim's neck. The creature is literally just a dick and balls with legs and a tail

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Baronjutter posted:

Oh yeah, I was all over that book before it even officially came out. I'm one of those nerds who just loves lore dumps and worldbuilding.
I’m the same way, yeah. The Colonial Marines book just came out and I’m a character in it :kiddo: ; the author of the RPG also has supplements planned for space truckers, corporate-folks I think, and I can’t remember what else off the top of my head.

I told him he should write a joke supplement for how to run cats as player characters and NPCs :3:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I just ordered a copy of the game. $33 on Amazon.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

I’m the same way, yeah. The Colonial Marines book just came out and I’m a character in it :kiddo: ; the author of the RPG also has supplements planned for space truckers, corporate-folks I think, and I can’t remember what else off the top of my head.

I told him he should write a joke supplement for how to run cats as player characters and NPCs :3:

Have people send cat pics for the cinematic play scenario

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I want SMG to twitch stream this game

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

SHISHKABOB posted:

I realized I was watching the director's cut when the Dallas and Brent are eggs scene came up. It definitely feels somewhat out of place... just a little.

I like the eggomorphing thing. I suppose if everyone sees Aliens then 'of course, there's gotta be a Queen' but I kind of like the idea of it mutating people into eggs. Seems horrifying, much moreso than some big bug just pooping them out. Makes you think about the giant egg bay in the derelict, and how maybe all of those were once living creatures that got changed into eggs.

Makes the Alien seem more mysterious and dangerous, and gives a reason for it to be capturing people alive instead of just murdering them all.

Covenant brings it back in its own way, in that it looks like David turned his crush into some sort of egg.

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Fireteam is third person because you need to have good spatial awareness and mobility while you are playing it. Dodge-rolling (the correct direction), knowing what direction you are being damaged from, being able to see AOE buff/damage zones around you, being clear on whether someone is near your flamethrower, and a bunch of other stuff is critical. It also has a cover system that seems unimportant outside of a certain section of the game at first, but can be used advantageously elsewhere, especially with the right weapons.

So, does the cover system help make weapons more stable? I never really used it much, though I've so far only fought Aliens. I play as the smart-gunner so it would be cool if resting the gun on some platform would give it some advantage.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Mr. Grapes! posted:

So, does the cover system help make weapons more stable? I never really used it much, though I've so far only fought Aliens. I play as the smart-gunner so it would be cool if resting the gun on some platform would give it some advantage.
The cover system is extremely useful when you’re fighting synthetics that shoot back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Gresh posted:

lmao @ that giant nutsack resting on the victim's neck. The creature is literally just a dick and balls with legs and a tail

At one point Giger wanted the alien's inner mouth to just be a human dick.