Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the tears, they do flow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It's weird how they just forgot about Bloodborne, it never even got a PS4 Pro update. They're just not interested in doing anything further with it evidently.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I just got a notification that confirmed the PC part from the mobile version of all things

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if i had to guess if it could very well be not sony holding things up as the publisher but From not wanting to spend the manpower porting it and maybe having the prerogative to prevent it from being farmed out to a third party studio

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

This guy got got by the vote for my friend team CSGO thing:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/evfedu/

I don't know who they are on SA but I'm 99% sure I friended them from here.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Picked up a Arboria on a whim, it's a Dark Soul's-y roguelike (yeah yeah I know) where you play as a bunch of plant-based trolls that mutate their limbs into weapons, which I found to be a pretty novel concept.

Combat is fun, there is a bunch of different weapons mutations and spells that you can upgrade with a bunch of different elements (Which seem to affect the way they work sometimes), and the writing is pretty silly, if a bit strange at times.
The devs definitely put a lot of soul into this, can absolutely recommend checking it out if it looks interesting.

Edit: Also, enemies can be infused with any of the 6 different elements, and they made unique skins (not just color variations) for each of them, which is something I appreciate.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 9, 2021

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Webbed is fun but I really wish the map wasn't useless

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

This is going to sound like a silly question but what are some of the current "system benchmark" games that you use to show off your new system? Newest thing I have available is Witcher 3.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
As someone who only played Uncharted 1-4 for the first time in 2019 you're getting the best with 4. The first three are not really worth playing unless you're really into playing games in order or something.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Maigius posted:

This is going to sound like a silly question but what are some of the current "system benchmark" games that you use to show off your new system? Newest thing I have available is Witcher 3.

I got a high end gaming PC earlier this year and to be blunt, there aren't any real "benchmark" games anymore. Cyberpunk is the closest thing you'll find and it's a good looking game but personally I never felt wow'd by it. Most games that look impressively good these days don't do it through high-fidelity visuals but through being heavily stylized in cool ways (Prodeus comes to mind, or Valheim, or Everspace 2) and great environment/art design. Games that are taxing on high-end PC hardware these days aren't taxing because they push the limits, it's mostly poor optimization. I've been considering selling my 3070 because I end up just playing lo-fi indie games anyway :v:

The very poor availability of high-end videocards is probably one of the driving reasons why - why develop games that take full advantage of rtx 30xx level cards when they're impossible to find most of the time?

edit: Jesus, I got this thing before they started releasing low hashrate cards. I paid $1700 for a pre-built PC that had it inside and the card alone is now worth $1900. I'm cashin' out

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Sep 9, 2021

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Maigius posted:

RDR2

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Time to stop playing Encased for today after almost dying to a pack of rats, at level 8

I'm so bad at this game

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phlegmish posted:

Time to stop playing Encased for today after almost dying to a pack of rats, at level 8

I'm so bad at this game

Were they large rats?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Maigius posted:

deep dish peat moss posted:

I got a high end gaming PC earlier this year and to be blunt, there aren't any real "benchmark" games anymore.

What? Red Dead 2, Metro Exodus Enhanced (for RTX), The Ascent, Control, Assassin's Creed, Flight Simulator, Battlefield 1/V, Forza Horizon, that Minecraft RTX thing, The Hunter: Call of the Wild, Division 2, ... I've been doing the rounds after getting my new gpu and there's a ton of games in my library from the last 0-5 years that are great benchmarks. RDR2 is probably the one that stands out though just because of how many options there are to tweak and imo your enjoyment of that game is directly proportional to how good it looks and runs.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Were they large rats?

Two of them shot laser beams from their eyes. However, the rest were just regular rats

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phlegmish posted:

Two of them shot laser beams from their eyes. However, the rest were just regular rats

I don't think theres any shame in getting superman lasered to death by rats

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Maigius posted:

RTX?

if so, then Control is one of the best looking games out right now. Metro Exodus is good too, they redid all the lighting for RTX a few months ago so it looks phenomenal. Bonus, both those games are very fun too and usually go on nice sales

Death Stranding also looks very nice, but it only uses DLSS instead of ray tracing. Its probably the best implementation of DLSS available tho; it manages to look better and run faster than without DLSS. Its basically magic

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

What? Red Dead 2, Metro Exodus Enhanced (for RTX), The Ascent, Control, Assassin's Creed, Flight Simulator, Battlefield 1/V, Forza Horizon, that Minecraft RTX thing, The Hunter: Call of the Wild, Division 2, ... I've been doing the rounds after getting my new gpu and there's a ton of games in my library from the last 0-5 years that are great benchmarks. RDR2 is probably the one that stands out though just because of how many options there are to tweak and imo your enjoyment of that game is directly proportional to how good it looks and runs.

I mean, I ran some of these games buttery smooth at 60+fps on my old 1070 (The Hunter and AssCreed for sure) so I don't think they're particularly great benchmarks. I willingly forgot about RDR2 and hope to forget about it again as soon as this post is posted but that's fair even if it's available on consoles as well. I haven't tried Metro or Minecraft with RTX and I hear Metro is the only game with good RTX implementation so I guess that's fair too but my experience with RTX enabled in other games has taught me that it's just a really GPU-intensive way of making games look worse for the most part.

Maybe it's me and I'm just not impressed by graphics technology anymore though because I've played most of these games and none of them ever caught my attention visually. Except for RDR2 but it has a whole host of reasons to hate it and I played it on PS4 anyway

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Sep 10, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Maigius posted:

Not silly, and Control is very pretty with RTX but has a brutalist look that isn't....flashy, most of the time? Definitely one of the better looking games I've played.

But I got lucky enough to get a 3080 Ti and the answers I found more or less amounted to Microsoft Flight Simulator, Control, and Metro Exodus.

Flight Sim is fantastic, actually, but obviously requires a bit of a setup.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

game sucks but cyberpunk 2077 sure was pretty and you can have all the bells and whistles with raytracing and DLSS and all that poo poo

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cyberpunk looks almost universally better with RTX disabled, for what it's worth. There are a few things that look nicer with RTX but the tradeoff is that it turns random materials into mirrors and that it splays an absurd amount of soft light over every single surface because it's like being inside a funhouse hall of mirrors
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSst2XFtMTU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxCwa-sVres

That game has really, really bad RTX implementation

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 10, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Did not like the DLSS implementation in CP2077 at all. Looked really blurry on my system without turning the sharpening filter up to a million, which created its own problems with hair textures looking super grainy.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

exquisite tea posted:

Did not like the DLSS implementation in CP2077 at all. Looked really blurry on my system without turning the sharpening filter up to a million, which created its own problems with hair textures looking super grainy.

Anno 1800 has that new ATI version of DLSS, whatever it's called for them. I guess it's a "first try", but god-drat does it make the game ugly. It's worse than DLSS 1.0 was. It's like they run the game through a "JPEG saved at 30% quality" filter.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Anno 1800 has that new ATI version of DLSS, whatever it's called for them. I guess it's a "first try", but god-drat does it make the game ugly. It's worse than DLSS 1.0 was. It's like they run the game through a "JPEG saved at 30% quality" filter.

That's AMD FSR, and it's very primitive compared to DLSS or even other modern upscalers used on consoles.

FSR isn't able to add extra detail to the low resolution source, the best it can do is make that low resolution image more presentable at a high resolution by preserving sharp edges then sharpening the image even more to give the perception of extra detail. Some people like it but it's really not in the same league as temporal upscalers.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Well on the upside once you turn off RTX you can afford to run the game without DLSS

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

I am playing Northern Journey and highly recommend it (unless you have arachnophobia)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ftt4YQnUrNg

It's an amazing adventure game where you explore a very beautiful and colorful island filled with strange creatures and doll-like characters. The levels so far have been different in both look and gameplay, like the second where a shadow figure follows you by hiding behind the trees (you can see him on the left in the second picture) or the fourth which has you traversing a steep mountain.

It's a little clunky but I haven't had any problems with it so far and not gotten stuck since there's a character in the beginning of every level that gives you a general idea of what to do that gets added to your journal.

The only downside is that the weapons so far have been a sling, bow and crossbow and combat is mostly shooting bugs which can be annoying to aim at and hit but its not frustrating or anything

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I had a rockstar account years ago for GTAV but have since lost the details and email it was registered to because who gives a crap. Does anyone know if it's specifically coupled to my steam account? Like, if I grab RDR2 while it's on sale can I just make a new rockstar jobbie or will it bounce because a different one is already associated with the same steamID?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Omi no Kami posted:

I had a rockstar account years ago for GTAV but have since lost the details and email it was registered to because who gives a crap. Does anyone know if it's specifically coupled to my steam account? Like, if I grab RDR2 while it's on sale can I just make a new rockstar jobbie or will it bounce because a different one is already associated with the same steamID?

ALERT
Steam accounts are permanently linked to Social Club accounts. If you are having issues with your account please contact customer support.

If you buy the game it should automatically log you into the associated account. You can follow in-game menus to manage the rest of the profile (some are links to the website, which you are auto-signed-in to).

I deleted everything that was Social Club related and it still managed to log me into the game when I launched it.

The logs indicate it signed in to SC before it checked for the local files.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Huh okay, that's what I was wondering- thank you!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Veotax posted:

Also a Knights of the Old Republic remake was announced. Console exclusive to PS5, so that means a PC release. No idea if that will be at launch or later.
From the sounds of things, it'll be on PC at launch. No word on what storefront yet, though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Kins posted:

From the sounds of things, it'll be on PC at launch. No word on what storefront yet, though.

Every Sony published exclusive like that has hit Steam at launch, haven’t they?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Squiggle posted:

Not silly, and Control is very pretty with RTX but has a brutalist look that isn't....flashy, most of the time? Definitely one of the better looking games I've played.

But I got lucky enough to get a 3080 Ti and the answers I found more or less amounted to Microsoft Flight Simulator, Control, and Metro Exodus.

Flight Sim is fantastic, actually, but obviously requires a bit of a setup.

Doom Eternal is pretty sexy with the RTX update it got a couple months ago. First game that made me go "oh poo poo" when I went from a 1060 to a 3070

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Doom Eternal RTX features were a bigger performance hit than I expected though I’ve only tried it on my 4k monitor, I should test it on my 1440p. Especially since I only have a 3060ti.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

what happens when you shuffle a deck of cards stux

Mana weave...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Every Sony published exclusive like that has hit Steam at launch, haven’t they?
Yes, but it sounds like Sony might only the publisher on the PS5 version, and developer Aspyr was recently acquired by Embracer Group, who love them some timed exclusivity deals. So who knows?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Kins posted:

Yes, but it sounds like Sony might only the publisher on the PS5 version, and developer Aspyr was recently acquired by Embracer Group, who love them some timed exclusivity deals. So who knows?

Ohh, I was under the impression it was straight up published by Sony. It might be like the quantum dream games that had a short EGS exclusivity. Which means I’ll end up buying this one twice like Control. I always think “no, this time I’ll actually remember to open the epic store and play it” but I never actually do.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
They updated the Downloads section of the Steam client. New one is more functional.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Ooo, at a glance this seems nice. Need to download a bunch of stuff at once and see how it handles.

Edit: You can rearrange downloads without clicking the "move to the top" button a bunch of times! Yes!

zachol fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 10, 2021

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new downloads page has been in the beta client for... about a month now? It's quite nice. They also updated the "Steam Library Folders" settings page to be a nice interface for uninstalling or moving multiple games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The Kins posted:

They also updated the "Steam Library Folders" settings page to be a nice interface for uninstalling or moving multiple games.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea, this is exactly what I needed, thanks.