Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I'd argue lack of urgency is the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Yeah if lack of urgency is the worst thing about this game I’m good.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, taking your time to explore and talk to people is basically the whole point of a Life is Strange game so I have no issue with that particular aspect

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The three best scenes in Before the Storm were the scene on the train, the play and the walk home after the play. The scenes that don't have the big crazy stakes are the best ones.

I mean these games have dozens of spots where you can literally just sit down and idle while the camera pans around the environment, I don't think lack of urgency is really a thing the people making these game worry about

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

One common thread among all the positive reviews are really strong character moments, which is what I always look forward to the most in these games. Okay, I'm relieved True Colors will be good, or else 2021 would have really sucked. Can't wait for life to be strange tomorrow!!

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I'm a huge fan of this series (even LiS2, which gets more hate than it deserves - but is still a real downer) and while I knew this game was coming out I purposefully stayed away from all of the previews. With the release date imminent I am now super excited to dive back into this world.

Catching up with the thread and I've been wondering about what makes LiS what it is, what I most enjoy about it, etc. I've played through the first game at least five times over the years but BtS and LiS2 maybe only twice each. What is it about the first game I like so much? I think it has the strongest story and characters, most interesting mystery, best use of power and all that, but a massive part for me is Hanna Telle. I think she's so phenomenal as Max and I never tire of listening to her in the game, commenting on every single little thing you can interact with. Ashly Burch is of course great too but she is a little over the top in terms of her dialogue and delivery, which I know is in line with Chloe's character. Hannah seems so natural as Max.

I do like how LiS2 tried to expand the series with a roadtrip but when I think of my favourite moments of the entire series it's probably just the time you spend in Chloe's house. From lounging in her room and listening to songs to the alternate reality where you have to make that heartbreaking choice, that's what stands out to me the most. I love all the moments of calm in the games but nothing really matches Chloe's room. The OST and songs in the first game are also way above the other games - the moment where To All of You kicks in during that first episode is probably still unsurpassed as my favourite moment in the series, but I'm hopeful that True Colors can match it in some way.

It's too bad the remastered games were delayed because it would have been fun to play through it all before getting into True Colors but oh well...I'm hype! Bring on tomorrow.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

el oso posted:

I'm a huge fan of this series (even LiS2, which gets more hate than it deserves - but is still a real downer) and while I knew this game was coming out I purposefully stayed away from all of the previews. With the release date imminent I am now super excited to dive back into this world.

Catching up with the thread and I've been wondering about what makes LiS what it is, what I most enjoy about it, etc. I've played through the first game at least five times over the years but BtS and LiS2 maybe only twice each. What is it about the first game I like so much? I think it has the strongest story and characters, most interesting mystery, best use of power and all that, but a massive part for me is Hanna Telle. I think she's so phenomenal as Max and I never tire of listening to her in the game, commenting on every single little thing you can interact with. Ashly Burch is of course great too but she is a little over the top in terms of her dialogue and delivery, which I know is in line with Chloe's character. Hannah seems so natural as Max.

I do like how LiS2 tried to expand the series with a roadtrip but when I think of my favourite moments of the entire series it's probably just the time you spend in Chloe's house. From lounging in her room and listening to songs to the alternate reality where you have to make that heartbreaking choice, that's what stands out to me the most. I love all the moments of calm in the games but nothing really matches Chloe's room. The OST and songs in the first game are also way above the other games - the moment where To All of You kicks in during that first episode is probably still unsurpassed as my favourite moment in the series, but I'm hopeful that True Colors can match it in some way.

It's too bad the remastered games were delayed because it would have been fun to play through it all before getting into True Colors but oh well...I'm hype! Bring on tomorrow.

I wrote a whole bunch of words in the Greatest Games Effortpost thread about what makes the original Life is Strange so special, but I think you really hit upon how that game is just so tightly wound thematically. Giving an indecisive teenage girl the ability to rewind time and then repeatedly showing her the limitations of that power is total genius, but in an anthology series where you need a new gimmick and main character for each game, you really only get to do that once. I would say the biggest weakness of Life is Strange 2 for me was the absence of a thematic link between the character and supernatural powers. Sure Daniel was a latent telekinetic, but he could have been anything really, and I think the story could have better explored the foundation of his abilities. I'm hopeful that True Colors establishes a real interplay between Alex's power and her character development.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I suppose you could rationalize Daniel’s power as “the boy who lost control of his life gains the power to control all matter” but it’s not quite as fitting as “introverted girl who’s always second guessing herself gains the power to literally take back her mistakes”.

Also based on the timer, True Colors should be available around 11-11:30 AM today

Larryb fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Sep 9, 2021

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Even though my internet is much better than it used to be I am still bummed there's no Steam preload.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

One hour left to go people! I will not be looking at this thread so much for the next couple days because I am DETERMINED to not get spoiled on anything and I've been surprisingly good about it so far! Let's get some feels!!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It’s out now, have another trailer:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1435996430380851200

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

taking a break from work to start everything, nothing to say yet but the game has great accessability options

e: holy gently caress these load times

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Is it worse than LiS2’s load times or about the same?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Should I play Steph's story first?

edit: Wait a minute, how do I access her story anyway? I only have the option to buy her story, but I got the deluxe that includes it

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 9, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Should I play Steph's story first?

edit: Wait a minute, how do I access her story anyway? I only have the option to buy her story, but I got the deluxe that includes it

That one doesn’t come out until the 30th.

Speaking of, you can apparently view the credits for Wavelengths from the main menu and according to the cast list Chloe and somehow Rachel are back (both played by their BtS actors). Not sure if this is just for a flashback to BtS or some event that occurred between that and the first game but it’s interesting nonetheless

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Ah okay well I guess that solves my problem :v:

edit: Oh my god the lip sync! The facial animations! The character movements! God bless you Deck Nine

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 9, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Apart from the load times being about LiS2 level and some minor frame rate issues I’m liking this so far (and Alex won me over almost immediately so that’s a good sign as well). Her journal has kind of an interesting setup as well.

Odd there’s only one save file this time though

Glad to see Steph hasn’t changed a bit in the last 9 years

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 9, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

If anyone needs help with the collectables/sidequests here’s a handy guide (spoiler warning of course)

https://www.powerpyx.com/life-is-strange-true-colors-all-collectible-locations-memories-quests/

Also here’s a complete episode list for the game:

Chapter 1: A-Side

Chapter 2: Lanterns

Chapter 3: Monster Or Mortal

Chapter 4: Flicker

Chapter 5: B-Side

Bonus Chapter: Wavelengths

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 10, 2021

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Wait so it is five chapters? Weird. I could've sworn it was being advertised as 4 plus the bonus one

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Nyoro posted:

Wait so it is five chapters? Weird. I could've sworn it was being advertised as 4 plus the bonus one

Nope, the achievement list confirms it’s 5 chapters plus the bonus one (all the advertisement said was there were 4 chapters worth of bonus outfits).

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lol the first puzzle is finding a toy to distract a cat. game seems allright

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Just finished Chapter 1. Here are my main choices:

- Told Gabe about Ethan's plans.
- Got involved in the fight with Riley.
- Told Gabe about your time in foster care.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Just finished Chapter 1. Here are my main choices:

- Told Gabe about Ethan's plans.
- Got involved in the fight with Riley.
- Told Gabe about your time in foster care.

Does the game roll credits between chapters/episodes like the others or does it just automatically advance you to the next one (and do you still get a results screen showing how your choices compare to other players)?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You are given a stats screen in between chapters and then have the option to advance.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!
Really love that the decision sound has a faint record crackle wrapped in it

Is the Cinematic setting just their version of Ultra?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Yes and it was enough to cause stuttering on my RTX 3080 with ray-tracing enabled, so I quickly set it back down to Very High. Don't think I missed too much, the game looks really gorgeous at any setting.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I appreciate that they at least try to make Ryan likeable but... I mean. Steph. Like. Come on. I'm sorry dude but come on. Steph.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

exquisite tea posted:

Yes and it was enough to cause stuttering on my RTX 3080 with ray-tracing enabled, so I quickly set it back down to Very High. Don't think I missed too much, the game looks really gorgeous at any setting.

Thanks, had a feeling it would be. How is the RT? I saw on an FAQ it's just shadows.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I appreciate that they at least try to make Ryan likeable but... I mean. Steph. Like. Come on. I'm sorry dude but come on. Steph.

Apparently Ryan isn’t secretly an rear end in a top hat like Eliot and Finn (or weirdly clingy like Warren) so that’s a step in the right direction at least. But still, Steph is an option so the poor guy never had a chance to begin with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

WonkyBob posted:

Thanks, had a feeling it would be. How is the RT? I saw on an FAQ it's just shadows.

You get nicer contact shadows which are noticeable on surfaces like skin but that's about it, reflections aren't RT which I think would have probably added a lot more to this game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Larryb posted:

Apparently Ryan isn’t secretly an rear end in a top hat like Eliot and Finn (or weirdly clingy like Warren) so that’s a step in the right direction at least. But still, Steph is an option so the poor guy never had a chance to begin with.

Yeah I mean like so far from the interactions with him he seems perfectly alright, but it's not even close compared to Steph.

Also I know it's probably gonna cause me trouble later on but Mac can go gently caress himself, I hope he cries forever that his girlfriend dumped him, one of the fastest/easiest choices I've had to make in the one of these games. Also I'm gonna be real mad if it turns out she WAS actually cheating on him with Gabe

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
How's the game in technical terms? I feel like there was always a some aomunt of jank on first release for these games, some choices/decisions not flagging properly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

pentyne posted:

How's the game in technical terms? I feel like there was always a some aomunt of jank on first release for these games, some choices/decisions not flagging properly.

Aside from some longer load times and a few slight framerate issues (moving can be a little choppy at times) I haven’t really noticed any major bugs so far

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I'm still pretty early in the game but the only jank i've really experienced so far is some conversations cut to a default character position when you just run out of things to say and it's pretty jarring. It happened with Steph and it happened with the cop, and the cop was especially weird because it felt like there was supposed to be a whole string of conversations with him but we just drank a shot together and then it instantly cut to "gotta go" as if it skipped ahead. That was strange.

Other than that this is probably the best looking and performing LiS so far. I'm extremely impressed by the face animations and the voice acting.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m glad to see Alex continues the proud tradition of LiS protagonists being massive dorks in some form or another

Katy Bentz gets to show her acting chops a bit more in this game as well, she’s pretty good honestly

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 10, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I lost the jukebox guessing game.

Those fake indie bands are hilarious.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So I assume you have the option to stay out of the fight between Mac and Gabe if you want (personally I beat his rear end down)?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

This is not the direction I was expecting this game to go, but I am all for it.

Twisc
Jul 24, 2004
tehe qt:>
Finished the first chapter. This is great. Haven't felt so into the vibe of a game since the first LiS. The facial expressions, mannerisms and voice acting are so well done, makes the characters feel alive and believable. Audio is also fantastic. No performance issues so far. Perfect for a chapter-a-day storygame, looking forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

important q: do you get to play DnD again