Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
There are other reasons to support a team, like who owns it, who coaches it (which can correlate to a certain style you like to see) etc. The Penguins for example are easy to like for me because my favorite player growing up (Lemieux) now owns them, and also they are consistently very good which helps. I was born there so I did grow up being "supposed" to like them but I haven't lived there in decades. I see other teams that are better in the NHL and NFL and I can enjoy watching their games but sports are just more fun to watch when you feel "invested" (emotionally or financially) in the outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Feel good when your team wins but there’s no need to be crushed when they lose.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's immoral to like the southern NHL teams. How much does it cost to keep Tampa's ice going? (go habs)

Gaius Marius posted:

Basketball is awful to watch. Way too many points, to hard to follow, and the horrible squeaking noise from their shoes. Boxing is pretty much the only sport I'll actually sit down to watch. I basically only ever see clips of it from the Olympics but Gymnastics is easily the sport I'm most impressed by, the sheer level of physicality is a beautiful thing to see. That said I think It's also one of the most morally bankrupt of sports, My cousin was heavily into it and it hosed her up for real.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elena_Mukhina

Told her coach "If I try this move right now I will snap my neck," snapped her neck trying the move. Quadruplegic for life, dead in 40s. And she was one of the best ever.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tiggum posted:

I'd never go out of my way to watch it, but whenever I happen to be in a room where an AFL game is on the TV it's generally pretty fun to look at during lulls in the conversation.

Liking or "supporting" a particular team is crazy. It's just a brand. It's like being heavily invested in whether General Mills outsells Kellogg's when you don't have a stake in either. If you like this team this year because of the players that are currently in it, that makes sense. But if you just like whichever random people happen to be wearing the right colours just because those are the colours you happened to pick for whatever dumb reason back when you were six, that's insane.

I generally root for the teams where I live. You're right that it's totally arbitrary so while there's no particularly good reason, there's not really a bad one either.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

nurmie posted:

every single artistic endeavour in existence is a frivolous, pointless affair that should not be monetarily encouraged under any circumstances. better yet, any attempts at art should be sharply punished; perpetrators shamed and exiled from polite society; fruits of their unholy labour reduced to dust and scattered to the heartless wind

Your posts are art.

Therefore, go on, delete your account I dare you

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

alexandriao posted:

Your posts are art.

Therefore, go on, delete your account I dare you

my posts are science :smug:

this particular post, for example, is actually nothing but a model of a spherical post in a vacuum

nurmie has a new favorite as of 19:03 on Sep 7, 2021

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

I'm sick of art being used as positive descriptor. Anyone who says "x isn't art" is always a doofus. Anything that someone finds artistic value in is art. It doesn't mean it's good. Art can be bad. Saying something isn't art is like saying a movie you don't like "isn't a movie" because you think it sucks.

Everything is art by this definition.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Similarly when someone doesn’t get a joke and says “jokes are supposed to be funny” in response it says more about themselves than the joke.

You can substitute posts for jokes and nothing changes

These are milquetoast middle of the road centrist opinions and while true, in practice meaningless because not only everything good is bad and everything bad is good and everything is morally relative blah blah blah, but also because if someone says "X isn't art", they are correct, because if you fill in the missing words what they mean is "X isn't art in my opinion".

The whole "art is subjective" take is like 40 - 80+ years old, it probably goes back further to the beginning of Bentham and Mills' Utilitarianism where we realised as a society that it's ok to shoot someone if they're gonna kill 5 children or whatever, that morals are not absolute and universal (Utilitarianism is shite and "moral relativism" is a lovely loving dogwhistle for nazi scum 99% of the time, however)

That doesn't stop art criticism because there are standards of what is better or worse, and more importantly, what is effective at conveying the story and emotional state and whatever, and what isn't.

alexandriao has a new favorite as of 21:06 on Sep 7, 2021

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: The penny whistle is the finest instrument for the average person to own

1. It's easy to learn
2. You are culturally primed to respond emotionally to it (at least in the west)
3. It's small
4. You can get the best ones in the world for like thirty bucks

There are cooler instruments and there are better sounding instruments but I don't think you can beat the time/monetary cost to enjoyment ratio

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Manager Hoyden posted:

1. It's easy to learn
2. You are culturally primed to respond emotionally to it (at least in the west)
3. It's small

There are cooler instruments and there are better sounding instruments but I don't think you can beat the time/monetary cost to enjoyment ratio

The skill cap is super high too

https://youtu.be/OzyTfHHRv1c

this is basically an ordinary pennywhistle

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The only way I would find it acceptable to play a penny whistle is if you are currently André 3000.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

alexandriao posted:

Everything is art by this definition.

Whoosh

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

No I mean, I agree in some sense. The whole point of William Morris' stuff and the art deco movement was that ordinary things are art too. But I think that also makes "art" a nonsensical term in and of itself

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Manager Hoyden posted:

1. It's easy to learn
3. It's small

Penny whistles are like unicycles, magic tricks, and juggling - only cool in the mind of the person doing it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

alexandriao posted:

No I mean, I agree in some sense. The whole point of William Morris' stuff and the art deco movement was that ordinary things are art too. But I think that also makes "art" a nonsensical term in and of itself
Meaning is created by the observer. A thing is art if it is perceived as art. Therefore, most things, in most contexts, are not art. But anything can be art if its context causes the viewer to perceive it as art. That doesn't make the term meaningless or nonsensical, just nuanced.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Sweevo posted:

Penny whistles are like unicycles, magic tricks, and juggling - only cool in the mind of the person doing it.

True but also there are like two universally cool instruments and a few conditionally cool ones (the condition is that the person playing them is a professional musician in a band that specifically requires that instrument)

Also the venn diagram of things that are fun and things that are cool has very little overlap

Also who in the world chooses things to do based on how cool they are, especially at the average age of SA posters

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

True but also there are like two universally cool instruments and a few conditionally cool ones (the condition is that the person playing them is a professional musician in a band that specifically requires that instrument)

Also the venn diagram of things that are fun and things that are cool has very little overlap

Also who in the world chooses things to do based on how cool they are, especially at the average age of SA posters

gather round goons get a load of this nerd!

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

*nods* Church organs and glockenspiels

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Americans who support a European soccer team should have their citizenship revoked.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gripweed posted:

Americans who support a European soccer team should have their citizenship revoked.

Buy me a one way ticket to France and deal. Deport me daddy.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Gripweed posted:

European football is ok though. :)

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Buy me a one way ticket to France and deal. Deport me daddy.

pfft, I don't even consider you as an american. more of a cranky canadian.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

christmas boots posted:

European football is ok though. :)

Absolutely loathsome.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

alexandriao posted:

It’s not nonsensical. It doesn’t mean everything is art, but everything has the capacity to be art. If someone sees artistic value in something, it’s art as far as I’m concerned. But I don’t see the word “art” as a compliment. If a child expresses themselves by scribbling on a wall, it’s art. If I see a slurpee spilled on the sidewalk and find it interesting to look at, it’s art. It doesn’t mean that either of those things has monetary value, or even that anyone on earth cares about them or finds them interesting, but someone found artistic value in them which makes them art.

It honestly makes life a lot easier if you don’t equate “this is art” with “this is good”. There’s a ton of art that in think is straight garbage but I don’t concern myself with whether or not it’s worth caring it art in the first place.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Gripweed posted:

Absolutely loathsome.

Hold on, are we saying that all soccer is bad or just when the Europeans do it?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Are there people in Europe who get way into American football? poo poo is bizarre how can you be into rooting for a team that's thousands of miles away.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

Are there people in Europe who get way into American football? poo poo is bizarre how can you be into rooting for a team that's thousands of miles away.

It's growing. There are multiple NFL games in London every year now because they've been successful. And I've heard Germans really like it? They wound up having like half the teams in NFL Europe back when that was a thing, probably because there are so many Americans over there.

As for your other point, many people root for teams hundreds of miles away from them in America. People root for teams because they are on TV and win a lot. That's why most American soccer fans root for the same handful of teams. You don't get born into rooting for Fulham or whatever. You see Chelsea on TV every week and get into them that way, just like people used to get into the Cubs or Braves despite not living anywhere near Chicago or Atlanta because of their long range broadcasts.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My german friends and family are all weirdly into tacky americana. My friend from the former DDR the most of all. I don't get it but more power to them, let's get a german team in the NFL.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gaius Marius posted:

I know a handful of people who really like it in the UK, most of them otherwise kind of nerdy. I think they like following a glamorous sport without the baggage of dealing with loud, chanting, drunk men.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

That song Applebees is using in their latest commercials isn't that bad. The dumb tiktok dance associated with it is, sure, but I don't mind the song.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My german friends and family are all weirdly into tacky americana. My friend from the former DDR the most of all. I don't get it but more power to them, let's get a german team in the NFL.

I really don't think the average American appreciates the extent to which Germans are big fans of American culture.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

veni veni veni posted:

It’s not nonsensical. It doesn’t mean everything is art, but everything has the capacity to be art. If someone sees artistic value in something, it’s art as far as I’m concerned. But I don’t see the word “art” as a compliment. If a child expresses themselves by scribbling on a wall, it’s art. If I see a slurpee spilled on the sidewalk and find it interesting to look at, it’s art. It doesn’t mean that either of those things has monetary value, or even that anyone on earth cares about them or finds them interesting, but someone found artistic value in them which makes them art.

It honestly makes life a lot easier if you don’t equate “this is art” with “this is good”. There’s a ton of art that in think is straight garbage but I don’t concern myself with whether or not it’s worth caring it art in the first place.

Can something not made or in some way influenced by humans be art? Could, say, the constellations be art?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

Can something not made or in some way influenced by humans be art? Could, say, the constellations be art?

Constellations don't exist per se* without being observed as such by someone (presumably a human or humans). Is the act of observation an influence? In this case it would seem undeniable.

*) Tsihii :finland:

e: That is not to say they're art, just that they're not an example of something that hasn't been influenced by humans.

ee: Not to mention the act of naming.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Sep 9, 2021

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Disco Pope posted:

I know a handful of people who really like it in the UK, most of them otherwise kind of nerdy. I think they like following a glamorous sport without the baggage of dealing with loud, chanting, drunk men.

Ngl this is a strong motivation for why nerds like things.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Muscle Tracer posted:

constellations are made by humans, though. the stars aren't, but you kind of need to perceive and understand things the way humans do (or at least sufficiently close) to have the concept make sense. ergo yes, constellations are art

same goes for stuff like beautiful vistas and so on - the defining component of an object (a collection of objects, a story, a concept, anything really) being art is the observer who decides to perceive that object as art. if there is no one to observe and perceive it, than it can't be art

the moment the last human dies, all art made by all humans over the entirety of human history will cease to be art. this will be the true death of humankind, the moment its soul is extinguished

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Red Delicious apples are good.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ego-bot posted:

Red Delicious apples are good.

gently caress you

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

semi-related: mangos are better if you eat them like an apple, skin and all. Who has time to cut a mango? It's complicated, there's the bigass seed in there, just chomp on it. The skin tastes good.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Cheese in a salad always makes the salad at least slightly worse. Unless it's this:

(But it never is.)

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Cheese in a salad always makes the salad at least slightly worse. Unless it's this:

(But it never is.)

Feta in Greek salad. Or halloumi in couscous salad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Feta in Greek salad. Or halloumi in couscous salad.

What are you trying to do, make me :barf:?