Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The best thing I see here is replacing the funding from states for school districts that defy anti-mandate laws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Craptacular! posted:

As one of those liberals, "calling on all states to vaccinate teachers" isn't exactly the strong arm people here were calling for. Some of this amounts to begging for DeSantis and Abbott etc to do the right thing for the millionth time.

I really don't see how those two idiots aren't digging their own graves politically (along with the people who live in their states' graves, actually).

DeSantis is basically the Lord Humungus of Florida at this point.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Professor Beetus posted:

I can't say any more than this but I know of one particular org going about with the intent to abuse this because of their anti-vax beliefs, and it's infuriating.

This is so incredibly frustrating. We talk about masks and studies and poo poo, but I really wish there was something meaningful we could do about these anti-vax shits.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

-Blackadder- posted:

I really don't see how those two idiots aren't digging their own graves politically (along with the people who live in their states' graves, actually).

DeSantis is basically the Lord Humungus of Florida at this point.

They're both up for re-election next year, so we will find out. They sure seem to have decided that the only way forward for them is through the piled-up bodies of their own base.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Does the executive branch have the authority to mandate vaccines for, say, sitting federal judges? I mean, it would sure be a shame if a bunch of Republican-appointed judges resigned their office to avoid getting vaccinated.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah those Aura's were freaking thick, definitely not fun with two of them, but I ended up not being able to get an elastomeric in time since the flight was so last minute. I might try to order an elastomeric in case I have to fly again though. What's the recommended one currently?

Two Auras were where you went wrong I think. A single one would have been plenty, medical staff on Covid wards use the same masks without issue (the only difference between the 1870+ and the 9205+ is the 1870 has slightly higher fluid resistance to keep sprayed bodily fluids off the wearer and has gone through additional testing and paperwork to be cleared for use during surgery).

Indeed wearing two probably risks having a bad seal or leakage since the seal the masks create is designed with the pressure gradient from breathing in mind.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

How are u posted:

They're both up for re-election next year, so we will find out. They sure seem to have decided that the only way forward for them is through the piled-up bodies of their own base.

I really liked your earlier phrasing, because as someone for whom Mr. Hands was relatively local news, filling up their base with horse cream would be relevant in at least two ways to their base and particularly Vice President Pence.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Desantis's approval rating is still about even. Republicans still love what he's doing.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
CNN claims he's going to force large employers to get their employees vaccinated, or weekly tests, as well:

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/09/politics/joe-biden-covid-speech/index.html

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Professor Beetus posted:

Pardon me if I misconstrued, but it sounded a lot like you were essentially saying something to the effect of "oh well if the government won't do anything we'll just shrug and continue to expose a number of people to additional danger and throw our children to the wolves," and being someone of additional risk despite my vaccination status, that really tends to chafe me. So apologies if I was reading you wrong.

Nah, definitely the government should go super strict on requiring vaccinations. There's just an upper limit where the most hardcore, 'find phony doctors, lie to the government on official documents, etc.' can probably slip through the cracks. I think that's just the nature of accommodating disability / religious beliefs, and employment is one spot where I draw the line that outright forcing regardless of disability / religion is going too far (forcing when there's not a legitimate reason is A-OK though)

Absolutely it should not be an easy process to be exempted.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

enki42 posted:

Nah, definitely the government should go super strict on requiring vaccinations. There's just an upper limit where the most hardcore, 'find phony doctors, lie to the government on official documents, etc.' can probably slip through the cracks. I think that's just the nature of accommodating disability / religious beliefs, and employment is one spot where I draw the line that outright forcing regardless of disability / religion is going too far (forcing when there's not a legitimate reason is A-OK though)

Absolutely it should not be an easy process to be exempted.

:hfive:

And here are my cutie cats from last page, check last page for the long version:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Craptacular! posted:

As one of those liberals, "calling on all states to vaccinate teachers" isn't exactly the strong arm people here were calling for. Some of this amounts to begging for DeSantis and Abbott etc to do the right thing for the millionth time.

Multiple people, including myself, said that building national policy on the expected actions of those two is foolish and that a more aggressive national policy would still do a lot of good.

Do you want me to go back and quote my posts, others, or what?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

killer_robot posted:

CNN claims he's going to force large employers to get their employees vaccinated, or weekly tests, as well:

how are they going to enforce weekly testing. it will just turn into, "we have opted to weekly test our employees... we regret to inform our employees we are unable to find or purchase tests and will forgo this week's tests" every week. there's not going to be a clause that says companies have to shut down if they can't test, that would be suicide with today's supply chain shortages

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

-Blackadder- posted:

Yeah those Aura's were freaking thick, definitely not fun with two of them, but I ended up not being able to get an elastomeric in time since the flight was so last minute. I might try to order an elastomeric in case I have to fly again though. What's the recommended one currently?

DO NOT WEAR TWO N95 MASKS. DO NOT MODIFY OR OTHERWISE gently caress WITH N95 MASKS BEYOND USING A SPLASH COVER STYLE MASK FOR SPLASH PROTECTION.

N95 masks are a complete solution for respiratory protection. You should not be putting any other mask above or below them, do not soak them in anything, do not use alcohol on them, do not wash them. Just make sure the seal around your face is good, and the straps are securely in place. That's it. Throw them away when those things are no long true, or the mask becomes soiled.

More detailed answer is that the masks are designed to deliver air to a certain standard of filtration (95% or higher across NIOSH tests) at the tested levels of pressure drop. Adding more layers of mask is pretty much only makes pulling in air harder. Your air is already being filtered sufficiently for covid by one of the best N95 masks on the market, you're gaining nothing and losing tons of comfort and risking breaking the seal by having two masks slip around on your face and each other.

Those Aura masks and every other legit 3M mask has been 99%+ filtration in Aaron Collin's setup, filtration on par with p100s in terms of covid protection. The difference between them a elastomeric respirator is the quality of seal, not quality of filtering. And you hosed with the seal by trying to stack two masks. 3M makes very consistently effective masks, please follow their instructions for use.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

how are they going to enforce weekly testing. it will just turn into, "we have opted to weekly test our employees... we regret to inform our employees we are unable to find or purchase tests and will forgo this week's tests" every week. there's not going to be a clause that says companies have to shut down if they can't test, that would be suicide with today's supply chain shortages

A lot of this is likely to have spotty enforcement, but it doesn't mean it won't move the numbers.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

killer_robot posted:

Have any of the unions that have been resisting mandated vaccinations without new collective-bargaining agreements responded to these new rules yet?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

wear an aura over every orifice

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Willa Rogers posted:

Have any of the unions that have been resisting mandated vaccinations without new collective-bargaining agreements responded to these new rules yet?

This is coming through OSHA, not through management. So it's not ceding unconditionally to a demand from the employer. Hopefully that helps for the unions that aren't being led or filled by anti-vaxxers.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Biden said the federal government will reimburse any educator 100% that had their pay withheld for enforcing mask mandates.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

brugroffil posted:

wear an aura over every aurifice

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
IK Thread Announcement:Thread has been updated and presence of OOCC has been cleansed. Please feel free to check it out at your leisure, please give feedback if you feel like it. This is the first draft, so grammatical errors and typos are helpful as well, (I am breaking myself of editing too much while I write first drafts). Since it's the first draft I'll continue to take submissions as people provide them. Going to leave it open for a week, then I will pack as many good things into the OP as I can. I'm trying to avoid too many contentious things, and when something makes sense to present a multitude of viewpoints, I will do my best to ensure that happens. And I probably won't add much more about masks since there's active and up to date discussion happening constantly both here and in the CSPAM Covid thread. Thanks again for being awesome.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
How can you enforce any sort of vaccine mandate when there is no meaningful record-keeping as pertains to vaccination?
Right now the only proof anyone has of vaccination is a piece of paper - not even laminated - that bears neither a signature nor a stamp or seal of any kind. Not only is this 'proof' trivially easy to fake, but for those too lazy or stupid to do so themselves, cottage industries have already grown up of fascists selling fake vaccination cards to other fascists.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

StrangeThing posted:

Data says otherwise:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/07/briefing/risk-breakthrough-infections-delta.html

In Seattle on an average recent day, about one out of every one million vaccinated residents have been admitted to a hospital with Covid symptoms. That risk is so close to zero that the human mind can’t easily process it. My best attempt is to say that the Covid risks for most vaccinated people are of the same order of magnitude as risks that people unthinkingly accept every day, like riding in a vehicle.

Oregon has a fully vaxxed rate of 58.8% and a population of 4.2 million and here is their report on breakthroughs: https://www.oregon.gov/oha/covid19/Documents/DataReports/Breakthrough-Case-Report.pdf

Some highlights:

quote:

During the week of August 22-28, there were 16,265 cases of COVID-19. 13,673 (84.1%) were
unvaccinated and 2,592 (15.9%) were vaccine breakthrough cases.

And this year they've had 650 hospitalizations and 113 deaths from breakthrough cases, though the vast majority of all cases this year began with the current Delta wave, so I'd estimate around 80% of those numbers are for 1-2 months.

I guess you can decide for yourself if that's rare.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

How can you enforce any sort of vaccine mandate when there is no meaningful record-keeping as pertains to vaccination?
Right now the only proof anyone has of vaccination is a piece of paper - not even laminated - that bears neither a signature nor a stamp or seal of any kind. Not only is this 'proof' trivially easy to fake, but for those too lazy or stupid to do so themselves, cottage industries have already grown up of fascists selling fake vaccination cards to other fascists.

It's potentially something they could start doing down the line with boosters and future vaccinations, presumably, if they can somehow find the will to start getting it underway (or have any loving plans to).

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Shifty Pony posted:

Two Auras were where you went wrong I think. A single one would have been plenty, medical staff on Covid wards use the same masks without issue (the only difference between the 1870+ and the 9205+ is the 1870 has slightly higher fluid resistance to keep sprayed bodily fluids off the wearer and has gone through additional testing and paperwork to be cleared for use during surgery).

Indeed wearing two probably risks having a bad seal or leakage since the seal the masks create is designed with the pressure gradient from breathing in mind.

jetz0r posted:

DO NOT WEAR TWO N95 MASKS. DO NOT MODIFY OR OTHERWISE gently caress WITH N95 MASKS BEYOND USING A SPLASH COVER STYLE MASK FOR SPLASH PROTECTION.

N95 masks are a complete solution for respiratory protection. You should not be putting any other mask above or below them, do not soak them in anything, do not use alcohol on them, do not wash them. Just make sure the seal around your face is good, and the straps are securely in place. That's it. Throw them away when those things are no long true, or the mask becomes soiled.

More detailed answer is that the masks are designed to deliver air to a certain standard of filtration (95% or higher across NIOSH tests) at the tested levels of pressure drop. Adding more layers of mask is pretty much only makes pulling in air harder. Your air is already being filtered sufficiently for covid by one of the best N95 masks on the market, you're gaining nothing and losing tons of comfort and risking breaking the seal by having two masks slip around on your face and each other.

Those Aura masks and every other legit 3M mask has been 99%+ filtration in Aaron Collin's setup, filtration on par with p100s in terms of covid protection. The difference between them a elastomeric respirator is the quality of seal, not quality of filtering. And you hosed with the seal by trying to stack two masks. 3M makes very consistently effective masks, please follow their instructions for use.

I actually did watch some of the mask nerd guys videos before I left and picked up on his point about how critical the mask seal aspect is and how, contrary to what most people assume, seal failure is more often the weak link in the chain rather than filtering. (I also read the CSPAM thread :getin:). So even though I wore two masks, I did make sure to specifically prioritize the inner mask, making sure it was form fitted to my face and sealed properly, and just allowed the 2nd outer mask to be loose back up coverage, rather than trying to seal them both and having them potentially get in each others way.

But both of these points are well made and helpful and a single Aura probably would have been preferable overall. Ironically I was extremely nervous about flying and making plans to try and rent a car to drive there (which would've cost a ton of money) when I came across a tweet from some immunologist double masked on a plane (she was only wearing two surgical masks though so it was more reasonable to be double masked. People were still a bit surprised she wasn't using a KN95/N95 though) that put me more at ease.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
beetus, the only suggestions I'd make about the OP are removing the electronicmaji quote-posts. That person is unhinged enough as it is that we probably shouldn't platform them if we don't have to, and new people coming in or who didn't see it at the time will not really have the right context for why those are funny posts so my feedback is to toss those out. It would also shorten the OP some too, it's fairly lengthy.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Phigs posted:

Oregon has a fully vaxxed rate of 58.8% and a population of 4.2 million and here is their report on breakthroughs: https://www.oregon.gov/oha/covid19/Documents/DataReports/Breakthrough-Case-Report.pdf

Some highlights:

And this year they've had 650 hospitalizations and 113 deaths from breakthrough cases, though the vast majority of all cases this year began with the current Delta wave, so I'd estimate around 80% of those numbers are for 1-2 months.

I guess you can decide for yourself if that's rare.

quote:

The Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccines are highly effective at preventing
severe COVID-19 illness and death. Relatively few breakthrough cases have been hospitalized, and
even fewer have died (Figure 2).

To date, 4.9% of all known breakthrough cases have been hospitalized (n=650), and only 0.9% have
died (n=113). The median age of the people who died was 81 (43 - 101).

I wouldn't say I'm "happy" with that, but yes, that's rare enough for me to not be very concerned about it.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

mod sassinator posted:

Certainly isn't a 100% solution but a decent amount of companies will just do it and that can move the needle.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Yeah, a lot of the benefit of mandates is it lets decent companies with chud employees deflect the blame to the government.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The testing exemption is just going to mean that companies will tell their employees to pay for the tests themselves or get the gently caress out

Unless there's a mandate that companies pay for them that I missed

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Fallom posted:

The testing exemption is just going to mean that companies will tell their employees to pay for the tests themselves or get the gently caress out

Unless there's a mandate that companies pay for them that I missed

I'm finding it hard to care if a free vaccine is the alternative.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

jetz0r posted:

This is coming through OSHA, not through management. So it's not ceding unconditionally to a demand from the employer. Hopefully that helps for the unions that aren't being led or filled by anti-vaxxers.

It's not just police or firefighter unions opposed to vaccine mandates; SEIU for one and the NYC teachers' union for another.

I imagine that neither is "led or filled by anti-vaxxers" which is why I asked.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm glad a lot of this stuff is finally happening but holy poo poo it took an unacceptable amount of time for it to happen. Like PTO to get vaccinated shoulda happened months ago!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Most people are not going to go through the effort (or be willing to face the consequences) of faking a vaccine card. Most hesitant people will shrug their shoulders, say "blah this sucks, i guess I have no choice" and go get the shot.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've got a normally intelligent friend who's big on the "Natural immunity after reinfection is better than vaccine immunity" train right now. "Every study that I've seen shows higher antibodies, higher t-cells, etc".

Does anyone have any strong science based studies on this? Of course googling showed me a ton of results saying vaccine antibodies are better than natural immunity, but I'm curious if there's anything factual behind his position.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Medullah posted:

I've got a normally intelligent friend who's big on the "Natural immunity after reinfection is better than vaccine immunity" train right now. "Every study that I've seen shows higher antibodies, higher t-cells, etc".

Does anyone have any strong science based studies on this? Of course googling showed me a ton of results saying vaccine antibodies are better than natural immunity, but I'm curious if there's anything factual behind his position.

So why not stack the deck and get both? Have some sort of large, super antibody army swimming around inside you.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

How are u posted:

Most people are not going to go through the effort (or be willing to face the consequences) of faking a vaccine card. Most hesitant people will shrug their shoulders, say "blah this sucks, i guess I have no choice" and go get the shot.

Diehard Trumpists might go through the effort of obtaining a fake card or just ignoring every single recommendation to keep them at arm's length from their death cult deathwish, but most people are just sorta dumb and afraid. COVID is new, this vaccine is new, and they haven't gotten sick from this virus thing in a year and a half (other people they know got sick and someone died, but not them), so why risk getting a shot of something they heard makes you feel bad? That amount of soft resistance to getting vaxxed crumples when their employer says get vaccinated or get fired.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Willa Rogers posted:

It's not just police or firefighter unions opposed to vaccine mandates; SEIU for one and the NYC teachers' union for another.

I imagine that neither is "led or filled by anti-vaxxers" which is why I asked.

That's why i mentioned the source, and a reason why non-chud unions would want to oppose employer vaccine mandates. Doing ANYTHING the employer wants without getting something in return weakens their future bargaining powers, and is still agreeing to follow management's rules with any negotiation, effectively bypassing the union. The union needs to keep it's say in the rules its members follow, so they want to bring the mandate to the negotiation table. Maybe its changing some dates, maybe it's adding some PTO or sick days to recover from shots, they want to get to make the sure the plan meets their standards (whatever those are) before agreeing to it.

Now that the order is coming from OSHA, it's no longer a union vs management issue. It's OSHA vs union, and unions usually follow OSHA standards because those standards exist to protect workers.

Since it's no longer a political issue in the struggle between management and workers, the unions that were refusing for non-ideological anti-vax reasons will hopefully agree now.

But no, I haven't seen anything yet.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Ah, good point about OSHA leading the charge!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

So why not stack the deck and get both? Have some sort of large, super antibody army swimming around inside you.

This. Introduce him to the newest MMO, it's called IRL and is all about "min/maxing titers!".

Honestly, do any of these types of people ever change their minds until just before the vent is being lowered onto their face? Arnold's is still the most succinct, laymen accessible argument I've seen. If that logic doesn't work for them, let them roll the dice and possibly end up cursing Facebook/Twitter in vain while drowning in their own lung fluid, their last thoughts being that they're about to die because they thought former stand-up comedian and UFC commentator, Joe Rogan knew more about virology than basically every actual virologist.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 10, 2021