Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

This is lovely, and a definite buy. Glad they’re going back to the human realm rather than gingerbread people and elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!
While I like the idea of what is essentially a buildable Micro Machines or Action Fleet playset now that I've had a better look at it I've got some thoughts;
First off I'm gonna be an annoying pedant, there are no ?-Blocks in Mario 64, there are some in Mario 64 DS but they replace the coloured !-Blocks from the original version but they don't look like this one at all, this design of ?-Block didn't appear until New Super Mario Bros, I guess I can write it off as a possible brand management thing, Nintendo maybe telling them to stick to the current approved design but if you're gonna theme something around a specific game then you shouldn't wrap it up in another game's icongraphy even if it is from the same franchise. It would be weird if there was a Death Star set that opened up to reveal Hoth, Cloud City and Dagobah mini-builds wouldn't it?
Secondly, while the mechanism to open the box and fold out the stages looks neat I feel like it would have been more interesting if the block opened and inverted to become an empty block, like when you jump Mario into one and he punches a Mushroom out. That would probably be difficult to make it work and look good but I think it would be more thematically sound even if it does conflict with my earlier point about ?-Blocks not being in Mario 64(Empty Block aren't in it either). Or it could just open up and splay out, would probably be simpler and might allow for an extra stage
Thirdly, no Bowser boss platform, really?
Also, 170Euros? Strewth...

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

At first I thought eh, not a huge fan of a blue house, but then I noticed all the green Wolverine claws.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
no Thwomp's Fortress? I thought that'd be an easy one.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014
I'm less interested in the cube mechanism than I am in a complete series of all 15 Mario 64 levels in microscale

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

tuo posted:

It's.....kinda cool, but not 170 EUR or whatever it costs cool, and the proportions are just way off in regard to "here are some really cool microbuilds" to "here's a really big yellow super mario block".

If this would be an ideas entry, I'd say "cool and good, but they'll have to completely rework it to make it an actual Lego set".

Maybe I'm just too negative, I don't know...

Naw, I'm with you. Since the NES came out I've been hoping they'd do more stuff that works well as a display piece.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Sep 9, 2021

WaitsUp
Sep 19, 2005
I used to be a deli sandwich

Oxyclean posted:

Naw, I'm with you. Since the NES came out I've been hoping they'd do more stuff that works well as a display piece.

The SMB3 airship displays pretty nicely

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
oh my god the micro mario + peach + lakitu is amazing but I'm not paying $170 for it

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Electromax posted:

https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/status/1435921030619537411?s=20

Here's the actual thing. The mechanism is pretty cool.

Reminds me of the Harry Potter Hogwarts Icon set - a fantastic-looking build on a franchise/theme I have zero interest in.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yay Winter Village.
Boo Super Mario.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

I’d jump all over the vignettes. Don’t care at all for the cube.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Looks like the cube has special interactions with the Mario and Luigi figures

quote:

For interactive play, add the LEGO Mario or LEGO Luigi figure from the 71360/71387 Starter Courses (sold separately) and collect 10 hidden Power Stars to reveal secret reactions and more. Hints for how to find the Power Stars can be found in the Building Instructions

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I was hoping the answer to the box question was pain. DUNE is probably a bit risky for Lego but it'd be cool.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

it's so expensive but I also love mario 64 so much I might buy it anyway :negative:

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Booyah- posted:

it's so expensive but I also love mario 64 so much I might buy it anyway :negative:

I might just crib the mini builds from the instructions once they're online :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

crazy eyes mustafa posted:

I might just crib the mini builds from the instructions once they're online :v:

Price of the mario mustache plate on bricklink: $200.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

bij posted:

I was hoping the answer to the box question was pain. DUNE is probably a bit risky for Lego but it'd be cool.

just stick your hand into the box as it folds, no gom jabbar necessary

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Apparently there's a leak saying a Titantic set will release next month and it'll have over 12,000 pieces.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
4 micro builds, some technic stuff and a block. $200. Ok. That looked like a $50 set to me.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

4 micro builds, some technic stuff and a block. $200. Ok. That looked like a $50 set to me.

Iceberg not included. Minifigures of Jack and Rose GWP.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

RatHat posted:

Apparently there's a leak saying a Titantic set will release next month and it'll have over 12,000 pieces.

that IS a titanic set

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

They should throw everyone off guard by making it a RMS Olympic set instead.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

It's like 2000 pieces.

But yeah, I think it's a bit of an unfocused idea.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
At this rate in 2030 Lego will release a $2000 set with 30,000 pieces

And we’ll still buy it

Also it’ll be another Millennium Falcon

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Hello AFOL thread!

SoonTM we'll be running a special short term RSF for goon collections, would y'all be interested in having this thread moved to that subforum for the duration of the RSF?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

It's like 2000 pieces.

But yeah, I think it's a bit of an unfocused idea.

The block seems like a cute display piece. The micro builds are fantastic.The mechanism is cool. It's just the whole is less than the sum of its parts. It takes a lot of fuckin plastic to make a cube big enough to contain the micro castle, which winds up making for a lot of wasted space, so it needs a fancy folding pop up mechanism to justify the size of the block, which just runs up the cost more and still doesn't really fix the mismatched proportions between giant ? block / tiny micro builds.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

RatHat posted:

At this rate in 2030 Lego will release a $2000 set with 30,000 pieces

And we’ll still buy it

Also it’ll be another Millennium Falcon

Just think of the VIP points!

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

corgski posted:

Hello AFOL thread!

SoonTM we'll be running a special short term RSF for goon collections, would y'all be interested in having this thread moved to that subforum for the duration of the RSF?
What the heck is RSF?

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

corgski posted:

Hello AFOL thread!

That's legitimately a tough call. LEGO is a hobby that involves, or CAN involve collecting, sure. Some of us aren't really interesting in collecting at all, though, and just like to design or build stuff. I guess I'm just unsure how entirely appropriate it would be. Collecting is a focused, specific aspect of LEGO that may have a place in this RSF, but I'm not sure about the entirety of the LEGO thread, I guess.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
No one is saying what RSF is, and until they do, I will just assume it means "resting poo poo face"

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

Cojawfee posted:

No one is saying what RSF is, and until they do, I will just assume it means "resting poo poo face"
rectally stored food
rotating subforum

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Probably No.

Lego isn’t just piling it all up and pointing at it. To be clear being proud of your hoarding is a legitimate part of the hobby, but not the entirety of the thing. Lots of people in thread are interested in and posting about building and designing and arguing about angles of car windshields, not posting their swag room of stuff.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Anias posted:

Probably No.

Lego isn’t just piling it all up and pointing at it. To be clear being proud of your hoarding is a legitimate part of the hobby, but not the entirety of the thing. Lots of people in thread are interested in and posting about building and designing and arguing about angles of car windshields, not posting their swag room of stuff.

I've only been in my swag room of stuff twice in the last year. :smith:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Carbohydrates posted:

That's legitimately a tough call. LEGO is a hobby that involves, or CAN involve collecting, sure. Some of us aren't really interesting in collecting at all, though, and just like to design or build stuff. I guess I'm just unsure how entirely appropriate it would be. Collecting is a focused, specific aspect of LEGO that may have a place in this RSF, but I'm not sure about the entirety of the LEGO thread, I guess.

Anias posted:

Probably No.

These are both good responses, thank you! If anyone does want to show off their wall o' minifigs or collection of every set released in, idk, 1997, please feel free to make a new thread once the rotating subforum launches! This thread will remain here.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Will the thread revert back here when that subforum closes? If so I am in favor. We'd maybe bring some new goons to join us.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

RatHat posted:

And it will be unbreakable!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Habibi posted:

And it will be unbreakable!

*shatters* oh, I was a fool! I should’ve had one more pair of technic beams for floor protection!

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

So will it be an unsunk titanic, a sinking titanic, or a bottom of the ocean sunk titanic

maybe you'll get the parts to build it however you want, like in creator 3 in 1 sets!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I personally like to see people’s collections. I like seeing what people have Curated in their rooms and kept. I don’t care to see a solo set that I can just look at picture sof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Chicken
Mar 23, 2009

Do we think there's much stock in the rumours saying Barracuda Bay will be retired? I've seen a few people saying their sources say it isn't, etc. Don't wanna miss it so maybe I should just get it regardless.