Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Wife did the Remy preview last week and loved it. She got to ride it 3 times, but stopped there because she was getting some motion sickness she compared to Spider-Man at IOA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Zero One posted:

I'll be at Epcot on 9/11 because that is my Ratatouille preview day.

That is also my Remy preview day

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

it seems like we are locked in for our 9/30 trip for the 50th. :smithicide: There's no way I can be the one to tell my wife we can't go, and she always makes me make decisions like this. Hospitalizations peaked a couple weeks ago in FL so all I can do is hope things get better. We will do everything we can to stay safe.

At this point I just kind of want to get there, and get back, so she will have had her trip and I can go back to quarantine.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

it seems like we are locked in for our 9/30 trip for the 50th. :smithicide: There's no way I can be the one to tell my wife we can't go, and she always makes me make decisions like this. Hospitalizations peaked a couple weeks ago in FL so all I can do is hope things get better. We will do everything we can to stay safe.

At this point I just kind of want to get there, and get back, so she will have had her trip and I can go back to quarantine.

hospitalizations are peaked because there's no other way to cram more people into the beds. you can't have higher intake rates when people are already dying in tents in the parking lot.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

The funny thing about that is wdwnt was swearing up and down that August/September has never been slow and was trying to attribute the last couple of slow weeks to people boycotting because of Genie+ and not because of an ongoing pandemic + hurricane season + schools returning + hottest loving days of the year in Orlando, or really admitting that precedence has regularly dictated that August/September is pretty drat slow save for the holiday weekends

I saw those monumentally bad takes about attendance being down because of genie+, glad someone else did too.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

hospitalizations are peaked because there's no other way to cram more people into the beds. you can't have higher intake rates when people are already dying in tents in the parking lot.

One of the hospitals here moved back down to code yellow, so it seems like maybe we are over this crest

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Omne posted:

One of the hospitals here moved back down to code yellow, so it seems like maybe we are over this crest

we aren't.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

alg posted:

There were a decent amount of people wearing masks everywhere instead of just indoors at the parks. Most CMs seem to be pretty vigilant still. Had an instance where one refused to start star tours until a single person had their mask all the way up and another where a group was taken aside and threatened to be booted for not complying in the queue for pirates.

If you're really concerned, I recommend getting some n95s and rocking those for the entire trip. Also, obviously get vaccinated if you're not already. As for the kiddos? I dunno, that's not something that has crossed my mind. Hope that emergency FDA approval for 5-12 comes out soon and encourage them to been vigilant with their masks.

I know Disney isn't "necessary" right now, but there's something to be said for a mental health recharge especially during this time where you can't find any reprieve from something negative.

Also, for something a little more positive:
https://mobile.twitter.com/GratDisMemes/status/1435396277047549953

couldcareless fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 9, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

yeah we have no kids, fully vax, n95s....I thought of getting a third shot but for career reasons I can't really engage in fraud =/

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

alg posted:

yeah we have no kids, fully vax, n95s....I thought of getting a third shot but for career reasons I can't really engage in fraud =/

get your third shot anyway. nobody has a big database. unless you got shot 2 3-4 months ago, your vax is waning. look at any of the Israel info.

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
About to board a flight for the first time since Nov 2019 and was not prepared for how uncomfortable I was going to feel crammed into a plane full of people.

Glad to hear the CMs are taking masks seriously.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Braksgirl posted:

While we're talking about Universal, I didn't know this before but one of the people I was with knew about it, you can request a free backstage tour of Race Around New York. It barely has anything to do with Jimmy Fallon, though the guide does give you some inside info on the props that are on display on the lower level. The cool thing is that actually show you around some of the backstage areas like the VIP lounge, the control room where workers monitor the guests on the ride, as well as letting you out on that balcony where Hashtag the Panda has been hanging out and waving to people. It's a great spot to get some photos from a higher vantage point. We got a certificate and got to put a pin on a map to mark where we're from. They also walk you to the front of the line in the ride, which, admittedly is not a huge perk when the wait is 5 min in standby (and the ride is pretty lame anyway) but it was a pretty cool experience. Apparently they have similar tours for The Mummy and Men In Black. They don't always offer the tours so you have to ask. It was a cool way to spend 30 min in the a/c.

The ride is dumb, but the Podcast the Ride Second Gate episode about the ride is top tier

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I think we are all missing out on the excuse of traveling to Aulani as a reason to publicly pee at Disney.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Do any of you have reccomendatiom for place we s to stay or things to do in the keys?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
I've been thinking of going to Disney in early November to catch the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival (and take a look at the Star Wars stuff, and other new stuff they've added). How good or bad of an idea do you think that will be? With the 50th Anniversary celebration having gone on for several weeks at that point, would the parks still be uncomfortably crowded?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
So fun fact about Race Through New York Starring Jimmy Fallon - it's actually in the top 5 highest scoring attractions at Universal for guest satisfaction based on the surveys they conduct. Average guests and kids enjoy it. It's theme park nerds that complain about it. In my opinion it's by no means great, and Jimmy's lines are pretty lame, but it's also nowhere near the depths of the likes of Fast & Furious, or the new WEBSlingers ride at DCA. It also didn't help that they pitted it up against the opening of Flight of Passage.

Though great air conditioning, no hassle to ride, and a kind of cool queue with live entertainment likely help with those scores.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Cockmaster posted:

I've been thinking of going to Disney in early November to catch the EPCOT Food and Wine Festival (and take a look at the Star Wars stuff, and other new stuff they've added). How good or bad of an idea do you think that will be? With the 50th Anniversary celebration having gone on for several weeks at that point, would the parks still be uncomfortably crowded?

Covid aside, it probably will be crowded. If you want to stay onsite, you might want to check availability because it's sparse.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Cockmaster posted:

The Mu variant is just beginning its spread and is showing a lot of vaccine resistance. It's probably a really, really bad idea. The parks are likely to be hell crowded until at least the week after new years', unless Mu just eats like half the population.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The Mu variant is just beginning its spread and is showing a lot of vaccine resistance. It's probably a really, really bad idea. The parks are likely to be hell crowded until at least the week after new years', unless Mu just eats like half the population.

Covid is obviously still very serious but you should stop doomreading cspam. Mu is less transmissible than Delta and the prevalence in the US peaked in June before declining significantly

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

it's also nowhere near the depths of the likes of Fast & Furious

Speaking of the F&F ride, hooooly poo poo. I’d rather ride It’s a Small World 3 times in a row (including waiting in the queue than ride this monstrosity again. What a joke.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Jose Valasquez posted:

Covid is obviously still very serious but you should stop doomreading cspam. Mu is less transmissible than Delta and the prevalence in the US peaked in June before declining significantly

:lol: 1900+ people died today and delta was "less transmissible" at first, too.

the parks should be closed with this level of transmission, but nobody cares.

You have to take into account that the hospitals are overflowing, still, everywhere. So if you get hurt screwing around at a theme park during a massive pandemic, who knows what hospital you'll end up in and getting back could be a nightmare.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yes we all are aware and agree but unless you are going to start posting sources to back up your claims then please stop saying the same things over and over. In fact, your spreading misinformation is doing more harm for your own cause. In July you said "delta is eating vaccinated people alive" which was (as we tried to correct you) misleading at best and flat out lying based on the numbers.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Sep 10, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If I get hurt I’m not gonna go to a hospital anyway because I can’t afford it lol

stabbity
Sep 28, 2004

Braksgirl posted:

Covid aside, it probably will be crowded. If you want to stay onsite, you might want to check availability because it's sparse.

I've never found early November to be very crowded, especially at Epcot. I mean it's busy because there are no slow days anymore, but it's not intolerable levels of crazy. I am wondering how the 50th is going to change that, but I'm not expecting Epcot to be too bad.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

As far as hospital numbers go, my system, the largest of the 2 major ones in Florida are down. At my hospital alone we reached peak highs of almost 100 COVID+ patients everyday last week, our numbers have steadily been in the 60s all week. So while numbers in our system is still high, we are quite a bit down compared to the peak the past couple weeks. It's not quite the doom/gloom as it has been with no rooms, it's bad, but not nearly as bad as it has been. We've moved out of code black status and some of our sites are even back down to a code yellow status.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

Yes we all are aware and agree but unless you are going to start posting sources to back up your claims then please stop saying the same things over and over. In fact, your spreading misinformation is doing more harm for your own cause. In July you said "delta is eating vaccinated people alive" which was (as we tried to correct you) misleading at best and flat out lying based on the numbers.

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/heres-how-many-breakthrough-cases-have-been-reported-in-mass/2486308/ this is one state and vaccines were really only approved for the majority 6-ish months ago. as titers fall, we're gonna see some neat poo poo.

Disney should make ventilators with little mouse ears on top.

mattfl posted:

As far as hospital numbers go, my system, the largest of the 2 major ones in Florida are down. At my hospital alone we reached peak highs of almost 100 COVID+ patients everyday last week, our numbers have steadily been in the 60s all week. So while numbers in our system is still high, we are quite a bit down compared to the peak the past couple weeks. It's not quite the doom/gloom as it has been with no rooms, it's bad, but not nearly as bad as it has been. We've moved out of code black status and some of our sites are even back down to a code yellow status.

that's excellent. the county above mine in GA (Augusta area) is still brick red and total diversion for every single hospital in it. hasn't stopped, hasn't slowed down. it's only getting worse in this area. and every restaurant and entertainment facility is no masks and absolutely packed. they're offering one hell of a bonus for a 10-week sign on, if you wanna go one state north and net some $$$$$

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/heres-how-many-breakthrough-cases-have-been-reported-in-mass/2486308/ this is one state and vaccines were really only approved for the majority 6-ish months ago. as titers fall, we're gonna see some neat poo poo.

Wow, vaccines with an advertised 94% efficacy are actually 99.5% effective in practice and 99.995% effective at preventing death! This is great news, thanks for sharing!

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 10, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Disney should make ventilators with little mouse ears on top.

quote:

111 of the new breakthrough cases resulted in hospitalization, or about 0.02% of all fully vaccinated individuals.

It's about time we stop trying to be nice about it because you're trying to protect people and have your heart in the right place, and just start calling you a dumbass.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

It's about time we stop trying to be nice about it because you're trying to protect people and have your heart in the right place, and just start calling you a dumbass.

call me a dumbass, I'll probably be performing your funeral after you get covid zeta or whatever the hell.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

What, in your opinion, is safe to do right now?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Omne posted:

What, in your opinion, is safe to do right now?

Necessities and nothing else. 3700 people died in the last 48 hours to this poo poo and cases are 150k+ every single day. That's worse than we were popping this time last year by far and we didn't have a vaccine last year. I'm intensely pro vax but it can't do its job when we've got 9.1M active cases running around the country. We're one of the sickest countries in the world and morgues and hospitals are overrun. Like, how bad does it have to be for folks to pause and go "oh no its bad again"?

E: If cases gently caress off and deaths go down, gently caress it, go party. Go to disney. send me pics. I'll cheer you on; I might even be there. but right now, it looks bad and folks are dying a lot.

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 10, 2021

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

And 99.9% of them are unvaccinated, a key point you can’t seem to grasp.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

And 99.9% of them are unvaccinated, a key point you can’t seem to grasp.

-Unvaccinated people are at Disney, too, and the primary spreaders of this poo poo.
-The vaccinated are still getting sick, leading to more variants and illnesses and all sorts of other long-term problems
-The vaccinated are dying at more than 0.1%. but I'm glad the thousands who have died are just a percentage point to you.
-Vaccinated people are still ending up on ventilators. Vaccinated people are still suffering. Vaccinated people are in hospitals and 37% of hospitalizations here in my local area. Of course, who knows if those people are liars or not because there's no database to prove they actually got vaccinated. Just a piece of paper that's easily faked.
-The vaccinations weaken and there is no indication as to when we should definitely get a booster, which means your rear end could go from being vaccinated to not-effectively-vaccinated while on vacation, leaving you unprotected and just as able to get sick as billy bob dickass the ivermectin' suckin' dumbass down the road, or whatever.

And then there's Mu (e: which did not pop up in june and disappear, what? https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210909/mu-covid-variant-qa it's happily hopping around right now, if a bit slower than delta) , the vaccine dodging rear end in a top hat variant, which only has early reporting to read on right now.

You also have to keep in mind the link I linked is best-case scenario. It's a super high vax area. FL is not.

E: I'm shaking my finger at your doctor av

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 10, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

call me a dumbass, I'll probably be performing your funeral after you get covid zeta or whatever the hell.

quote:

it looks bad and folks are dying a lot.
Unvaccinated folks are dying a lot. Get the vaccine and wear a mask at Disney because there’s kids under 12 who can’t be vaccinated all around you. That’s all reasonable. Living forever locked down until other people do things they don’t want to do so you can feel comfortable going outside isn’t great. To the people you’re trying to save, you look like you’re holding a gun to your own head and saying that you’ll ruin your own life if they don’t get the vaccine and make cases go down, and they just don’t care. They want to (potentially) die for freedom and liberty and Fox News.

The morgues don’t bother me because they’re overflowing with conservative Republican voters who won’t take a vaccine when one’s handed to them. People who are right wing don’t typically get my sympathy, so I’m happy to see the movement step off a COVID cliff and enjoy less stressful elections in the future.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 10, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

The morgues don’t bother me because they’re overflowing with conservative Republican voters who won’t take a vaccine when one’s handed to them. People who are right wing don’t typically get my sympathy, so I’m happy to see the movement step off a COVID cliff and enjoy less stressful elections in the future.

"people who aren't like me aren't people" is not okay and is often the core of really harmful beliefs springing into action. a lot of these people are poor, poorly educated, and in areas where it was ostracization or become part of the chud shithole. yes, they suck. they have actively hurt people like me and I'm not their friend, either. it doesn't make their corpses less mourned by their families.

E: I'm not advocating forever lockdown. I'm saying disney when there's 9 million cases running around that we know of (and rapidly increasing) isn't the best idea.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

"people who aren't like me aren't people" is not okay

gently caress you for telling me what is and is not okay. If you don’t like what I’m saying, you are free not to reply to it!

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 10, 2021

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

gently caress you for telling me what is and is not okay.

don't be the thing you dislike then, drat.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Craptacular! posted:

gently caress you for telling me what is and is not okay. If you don’t like what I’m saying, you are free not to reply to it!

Yikes

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

There's nothing yikes about it, Fluffy Bunnies is the worst poster here. They need to go away if all they have to offer is to concern troll about the pandemic and make people feel bad for vacationing with reasonable precautions. I hate this derail myself, but you get tired of the constant nagging whining about how Florida is in bad shape for yet another page when we've had like five of them.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

don't be the thing you dislike then, drat.

You just told me that you'd be celebrating at my COVID funeral. Why do you think I could possibly be angry or spiteful?

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
There's 9 million cases, there's no more monetary support, and evictions are back on the table. Whether you like it or not, this is the hand we are dealt, so life, to some extent, needs to proceed as close to normal as possible.

From now on let's just assume if people want to go to Disney right now, they are doing so because it is within their tolerance for risk. Stop making people feel guilty or like poo poo for trying to go on vacation because they aren't as worried as you are about the virus (because the vaccine is highly effective and I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary). COVID is not going away and lockdowns make no sense at this point when the vaccine is the best and least detrimental option to curb spread and serious illness.