Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

MikeC posted:

Canadian goons that are still on watch. Bestbuy camping opportunities available now.

https://blog.bestbuy.ca/best-buy/nvidia

Lol whatever that was crashed the website

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I don't know, I think if you stick to 1080p it'll be fine for a few years. I also expect the 5700 XT to continue being fine. I wouldn't enjoy paying $440 for one, but there's not a card on the market I'm happy with the price for. If your ambitions aren't to great and you're sticking with 1080p, the 6600 XT is fine. Not everybody is trying to run AAA games at high-res ultra settings.

Expect $400 to be the floor for AMD and Nvidia 6-class GPUs in the coming years even after GPU scarcity is over. This is just the beginning. You're going to be overpaying for every GPU for the rest of your life from now on.

Will the 4080 likely be able to do 4K gaming for upcoming next gen titles at high graphics in 60fps? I know you said it's taxing, but I really want such performance and would be willing to pay for it unless it's like $2,000 for such a card (MSRP).

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

3080 can do 4k60 high right now so I'd guess that's a yes.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

punk rebel ecks posted:

Will the 4080 likely be able to do 4K gaming for upcoming next gen titles at high graphics in 60fps? I know you said it's taxing, but I really want such performance and would be willing to pay for it unless it's like $2,000 for such a card (MSRP).

I mean, hopefully. The rumors are saying that it's going to be a big generational leap, but we'll see.

Enos Cabell posted:

3080 can do 4k60 high right now so I'd guess that's a yes.

It can generally do this, though it struggles in some games with ray tracing without DLSS. As ray tracing becomes more common, you'll have to lean on DLSS more. That will not be a huge problem for a many people but it shows that 4K right now is certainly still hard to do.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.
I mean the 3090 and 3080 ti can run most modern games right now at native 4k /60 FPS at high settings if ray tracing is turned off--with some exceptions (Cyberpunk), but even with that exception it's more like 4k/55, which is pretty close.

I think the more interesting question is if consoles can get to 4k/60 performance by next generation.

mA fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 9, 2021

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

interesting that Deathloop one of the few next gen console games being released this year has RT and FSR support but not DLSS

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I mean why would you use an upscaler in your game that the consoles can't use?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I tried AMD Boost on my Aya Neo and lol what a load of garbage.

Also it sure didn't seem to work on a game that supported it and it put some weird grid lines in the game.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

mA posted:

I mean the 3090 and 3080 ti can run most modern games right now at native 4k /60 FPS at high settings if ray tracing is turned off--with some exceptions (Cyberpunk), but even with that exception it's more like 4k/55, which is pretty close.

I think the more interesting question is if consoles can get to 4k/60 performance by next generation.

Microsoft has seem to taken a "smartphone" approach with their consoles of having multiple SKUs and likely will have "upgrades" in the future.

The PS5 will likely have a Pro model.

The issue enters in support for the base models.

I wouldn't be too surprised to see a fair share of "Cyberpunks" in terms of base console performance some years down the line if consumers fully bite on upgrading consoles like other devices.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
while I have absolutely no doubt (as we've already seen from leakers) that they're going to try and sell "Pro" models of the consoles, I think there's not going to be nearly as much of a performance gap as we saw with the previous generation - the PS4 and its Xbox equivalent were really underpowered even relative to contemporary tech at the time (which is why you've been able to stretch your i5-2500 for so long!), and even the PS4 Pro had to rely on all sorts of upscaling just to be able to get to 30 Hz 4k because upping the clocks a little on their dinky AMD laptop CPUs wasn't going to cut it

in comparison, the Pro versions of this generation are reportedly aimed at "8k gaming", which isn't going to be a big deal for anyone who doesn't have an "8k" monitor/TV. And even if you can trade-away that horsepower for a higher refresh rates at a lower resolution, even then that only matters if your monitor/TV can similarly support it

personally, I'm not interested in a mid-gen console upgrade from my PS5 because my TV is 60 Hz 1080p, and even if you have a 4k60 screen right now, then the point still stands that the 3000-series can do that, and the current-gen consoles can do that (with some upscaling), and it's a benchmark that's only going to become easier to hit over time

we're only needing more/better hardware because our milestones themselves keep changing: 4k30, 4k60, 4k144... and even then only if you're also insisting on native rendering

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Actually if you check the desktop graphics card category in newegg and filter by "in stock" and "combo deal", you can see a few other cards being available in combo deals. Though aside from the 6600 XT ones, it's essentially the most laughable of the newegg shuffle deals that they decided to just let you buy straight-up: https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?N=100007709%204131%204812&Order=1

Not enough people signing up for those bundles with $400 motherboards in the shuffle I guess so now they have to sell them openly in the store lol. May be worth checking in on that link every so often since these are listings that won't be watched by bots and they may put something decent in there every now and then.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Sep 9, 2021

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Does Ampere support HDMI Arc? I got a new soundbar for my desk and my aux cable is just a little too short to reach. I'm currently using DP to connect my 3070 to my monitor and it's just one bar, not a full surround setup.

change my name fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Sep 9, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Paul MaudDib posted:

The obvious question there is whether they can do a similar thing on Windows - basically implement a fairly simple/straightforward DX12/Vulkan driver and have a translation layer that uses Proton/DXVK and winetricks to implement DX9/DX11/etc. I've always been told this is not possible on a technical level, windows and Linux are just too different to make it work, but it's an obviously appealing approach, maybe someday Microsoft can make an Xorg on Linux on Windows subsystem lol.

The real answer is that in the same way DXVK turns DX 11 into Vulkan, Microsoft needs to build some kind of interpreter that runs DX9-11 on DX12 natively.

Xorg is probably done in three years, btw. Nvidia finally gave up trying to set their own standards and released a driver that will allow Wayland in time, but booting into Wayland with is very rough for now.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Sep 9, 2021

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Craptacular! posted:

The real answer is that in the same way DXVK turns DX 11 into Vulkan, Microsoft needs to build some kind of interpreter that runs DX9-11 on DX12 natively.

They are, they've been working on DX9-on-12 and DX11-on-12 for a while

https://github.com/microsoft/D3D9On12
https://github.com/microsoft/D3D11On12

Windows 11 requires DX12 hardware, so I could see them eventually slimming down the driver model to just DX12 and using these layers to support legacy software

repiv fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 9, 2021

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rinkles posted:

Pretty steep requirements for Deathloop (notably, the game has no last gen version)

ULTRA 4K SPECS: 4K / 60 FPS WITH ULTRA SETTINGS
    Processor : Intel Core i9-10900K @ 3.70GHz or AMD Ryzen 7 3800XT
    Memory : 16 GB system RAM
    Graphics : Nvidia RTX 3080 (10GB) or AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT (16GB)
    DirectX : Version 12
    Storage : 30 GB available space (SSD)

RECOMMENDED SPECS: 1080P / 60 FPS WITH HIGH SETTINGS

Processor : Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
    Memory : 16 GB
    Graphics : Nvidia RTX 2060 (6GB) or AMD Radeon RX 5700 (8GB)
    Storage : 30 GB available space (SSD)

MINIMUM SPECS: 1080P / 30 FPS WITH LOW SETTINGS

Processor : Intel Core i5-8400 @ 2.80GHz or AMD Ryzen 5 1600
    Memory : 12 GB
    Graphics : Nvidia GTX 1060 (6GB) or AMD Radeon RX 580 (8GB)
    Storage : 30 GB available space (HDD)

Jesus, 8 Core, 16 Threads recommended? I wonder if the 3700x will outperform the 5600x?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Almost certainly not. It's essentially impossible to multithread a game effectively enough that single thread performance isn't of vital importance, and the 5600X has a huge leg up there. In multithreading dream scenarios like rendering or video encoding the 3700X can win, otherwise the 5600X will always be faster.

It's very interesting that they only want 30gb of storage, though. That's tiny for a modern game and is probably the part that concerns me most.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Install sizes are going to be smaller because they aren't duplicating assets to get around low hdd seek times anymore.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Kibner posted:

Install sizes are going to be smaller because they aren't duplicating assets to get around low hdd seek times anymore.

Unless they do what the COD people do and make the game so large you can't install anything else so you're forced to only play that game

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

This 3080 Ti has just been sitting there available for $1479 for the last ten minutes or so: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-gv-n308tgaming-oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932436

edit: and it's gone

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Sep 10, 2021

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

This 3080 Ti has just been sitting there available for $1479 for the last ten minutes or so: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-gv-n308tgaming-oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932436

edit: and it's gone

Is this a sign that stock is increasing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Probably not. I think it has more to do with the fact that there are only so many people in the world willing to pay over $1400 for a video card. There can't be too many of them still holding out at this point.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The 3080 is a $700 card and imo a fair MSRP for the 3080ti is like $900. I know that nVidia jacked it up to $1200 at the last second because they were leaving money on the table otherwise, but it's still wrong.

$1500 is not a smoking deal.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

makes you wonder how 4000 series sales will be impacted as you'll have had a bunch of people paying a premium to get an Ampere card

people who ended up sitting out Ampere might continue to sit out if prices remain elevated

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

That said, there are still people buying them for $1800+ on ebay, so it's at least not a scalper-level price

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Ehh, I'd say the 3080ti is fair MSRP at a grand even, just to keep in line with 2080ti launch pricing.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sagebrush posted:

The 3080 is a $700 card and imo a fair MSRP for the 3080ti is like $900. I know that nVidia jacked it up to $1200 at the last second because they were leaving money on the table otherwise, but it's still wrong.

$1500 is not a smoking deal.

I have to keep reading this thread to remind me that paying +50% msrp(or more!) on a card that's almost 1 year old now is WRONG

please keep reminding me because I've held out this long and I'm at the crossroads of waiting for 4000 series or breaking down and buying a card I don't really need yet

edit:
In fact I'm gonna write this down now, correct me if any price seems wrong

just to keep a list of what should be "fair" prices on cards I'm looking at, because I find myself browsing and going " Hey $2,900 usd for a 3090, it's in stock, that's not bad!!!!!!!!!lol"

3070 $600
3070ti $700
3080 $800
3080ti $1,200
3090 $1,500

edit 2: And may I say again how disappointed I am in Nvidia for all of this

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 10, 2021

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I have to keep reading this thread to remind me that paying +50% msrp(or more!) on a card that's almost 1 year old now is WRONG

please keep reminding me because I've held out this long and I'm at the crossroads of waiting for 4000 series or breaking down and buying a card I don't really need yet

What card do you have currently? How many hours a week do you spend gaming? What monitor do you have? Any particular games you're disappointed with the performance of?

Given how many hours I waste spend gaming, maybe paying an outrageous price isn't so bad if I was in desperate need of an upgrade (and assuming my other financial responsibilities are in good shape). I do agree though on principal that paying so much over MSRP is a tough pill to swallow.

Hopefully there are more goons on the EVGA queue that don't need the card anymore once their number is called, and are willing to flip it to fellow goons for MSRP.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seamonster posted:

Ehh, I'd say the 3080ti is fair MSRP at a grand even, just to keep in line with 2080ti launch pricing.

The 2080 ti MSRP was also bad, though.

That said I'm still the exact kind of sucker who ended up spending an exorbitant amount of money on a 3080 ti, which will get here sometime next week or the week after, depending on how long it takes EVGA to process the step-up RMA.

Shoutout to EconOutlines for letting me have his at cost. A decent Flight Simulator VR experience will finally be had.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

fletcher posted:

What card do you have currently? How many hours a week do you spend gaming? What monitor do you have? Any particular games you're disappointed with the performance of?

Given how many hours I waste spend gaming, maybe paying an outrageous price isn't so bad if I was in desperate need of an upgrade (and assuming my other financial responsibilities are in good shape). I do agree though on principal that paying so much over MSRP is a tough pill to swallow.

Hopefully there are more goons on the EVGA queue that don't need the card anymore once their number is called, and are willing to flip it to fellow goons for MSRP.

I'm running 2x1080ti and I used to game a ton (I prefer 1080p with everything maxed at 60fps) but last year switched to learning 3d modeling, which requires as much horsepower as you can get

So I'm hanging in there, to be honest a new card would be real nice but mostly it's about the principle of the thing

edit: I'm also running a 23inch monitor so 1080p looks great, if I want a big screen I have a 55inch TV on the side and it also maxes at 1080p

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

get a new (bigger) monitor bruv, you'll be surprised by how much better it feels

i have friends with high-end GPUs and do coding/gaming with cramped monitors - don't get it

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I was always afraid of getting a bigger monitor as I live in a shoebox and my desk is about 1.5 feet deep. Moving from a 15" laptop to a 24.5" high refresh 1080p monitor felt like a huge jump at the beginning and I felt uncomfortable, but now I'm super used to it, and am thinking perhaps I could have bought a 1440p 27" and gotten used to it over time. Ah well, 1080p is easier to drive, and at this size doesn't look too bad.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

24.5 inches is plenty of screen space for 1.5 feet distance, and 1080p is plenty of p's for the screen size, don't sweat it. I'm finally moving up to 27 inches along with my 3080 Ti, but I'm usually around 2 or 2.5 feet away from the screen. I think if I sat any closer, it'd feel too big.

What I don't understand is how people deal with 32-inch screens with any desk size. And the people who use the 48" LG C1 (or the Gigabyte monitor variant) as a desktop monitor are absolute madmen. I salute their madness, but ow my neck.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

People still hook up their gaming PCs to a computer desk instead of the living room TV? Weird.

mA
Jul 10, 2001
I am the ugly lover.

24.5 inches is plenty of screen space for 1.5 feet distance, and 1080p is plenty of p's for the screen size, don't sweat it. I'm finally moving up to 27 inches along with my 3080 Ti, but I'm usually around 2 or 2.5 feet away from the screen. I think if I sat any closer, it'd feel too big.

What I don't understand is how people deal with 32-inch screens with any desk size. And the people who use the 48" LG C1 (or the Gigabyte monitor variant) as a desktop monitor are absolute madmen. I salute their madness, but ow my neck.

It's a simple solution. Get a deeper desk.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

mA posted:

It's a simple solution. Get a deeper desk.

Or use a wall-mounted monitor arm and pull the desk back from the wall.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

punk rebel ecks posted:

People still hook up their gaming PCs to a computer desk instead of the living room TV? Weird.

It's an ITX that I move out to the living room to do couch gaming, and back onto the desk for MLG69420xXx noscopes. Benefits of a tiny flat.

NeverRelax
Jul 16, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I get the why for ITX, but for most people it just seems like unnecessary suffering.

That said im totally going itx next build. Its gonna be awful

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Kibner posted:

Or use a wall-mounted monitor arm and pull the desk back from the wall.

A monitor arm helps hugely if you want to reclaim that monitor footprint space. I got a basic one that clamps to the desk and don't regret it one bit.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

NeverRelax posted:

I get the why for ITX, but for most people it just seems like unnecessary suffering.

ITX is pretty easy so long as you don't try to go whole-hog SFF and stick to something like a Thermaltake Core V1 or Lian Li TU150 or whatever the new hotness is. Mostly it just got rid of all the extra crap I didn't ever use anyway. Finding graphics cards with shrouds that fit was the toughest part (only 2-slots for the V1), but that was fixed by not actually being able to buy graphics cards anymore. Plus, anything will fit in a TU150.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

NeverRelax posted:

I used to move an ATX between desk and television, and am so glad I switched to ITX. NR200 makes building a breeze, though it is also on the larger end of the sff spectrum.

So I finally got around to replacing the thermal pads on my MSI Ventus 3080. I'd heard they were bad, but I was not prepared for an 16c drop in G6X junction temps while gaming (Control)! Man... why didn't I do this sooner? And what kind of cheap gross rear end poo poo are MSI using? The thermal pads were oily and sticky and really soft, almost like wet clay, and kind of tore and smudged as I tried to peel them off.

To replace them I went with Thermalright Odyssey pads, 3mm for the lovely plastic backplate, 2mm for the heatsink, and a small dollop of mx-4 in between the memory chips and the pad, and pad and heatsink, because I was worried the pads were looking a little thin compared to the old ones and that they wouldn't make good contact. Not sure if that helped or hurt as the pads are rated for 12.8w W/mK whereas the paste is only 8.5 iirc.

Anyway, happy with the results! Got a decent drop in core temps as well switching to MX-4.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 10, 2021