Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Tried that and didnt work. What did work was using wsreset as admin to reset the microsoft store cache. FFS MS. YOu should fix your poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Sorry if you tried this already: Navigating to flight sim's store page and choosing "update" has fixed that for me in the past, even when the store's update page is adamant everything is up to date.

I'm phoneposting or I'd attach a screenshot.

Turbo Poggs
Jan 6, 2013
I think this was the update that ruined my install. The updater has been looping for hours, I've closed & restarted it several times to no avail...is my best bet to reinstall overnight or something?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Bedurndurn posted:

Yep. Render qual in that image is 125. When I put it back to 100, everything's fine.
Oh heh. I rarely fly at night. I have render resolution set to 50 because of 4K. I guess I ought to try it to see if it also mangles the lights.

--edit: They're hosed alright. The opposite effect.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Sep 8, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I am very happy with the latest world update. Feels like home.

I can recommend visiting Frankfurt, Helgoland, and some of the little POIs like Wernigerode and Abtei. Oh and Berlin is cool, too - it's a shame they didn't turn Tempelhof airport (smack in the middle of the city) into a landing challenge. The Alps have also become beautiful around the most important summits.

If you look at the world map you kind of start to see where their target demographic is assumed to be, geographically. It's cool that Europe gets so much stuff but it's kind of a pity that Middle and South America, Africa, most of Asia remain a shell by comparison. You don't even need to think about societal implications to find that regrettable.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
:same: Had the store update bug

Update every single available and get the Xbox app
Do wsreset.exe and restart
Enjoy another 2 rounds of updates when you start the sim, plus flybywire

When I got into the sim I noticed it is much less tolerant of alt tab.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
:stare:

I don't know what kind of black magic they did to the simulator but after switching the terrain cache to Ultra these last two updates have almost doubled my average FPS to 50

Still some hitching and stuttering on my slightly old machine at 1440p but seeing the scenery flow past smoothly is a hell of a thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

:stare:

I don't know what kind of black magic they did to the simulator but after switching the terrain cache to Ultra these last two updates have almost doubled my average FPS to 50

Still some hitching and stuttering on my slightly old machine at 1440p but seeing the scenery flow past smoothly is a hell of a thing.

They ripped out some of the legacy FSX code that was still in the codebase and made it more multi-threaded. Yes, there was code from 2006 (and probably earlier!) in there, and I'm sure plenty of it is still there lol

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
Was reading this thread's old posts and discovered smoothtrack. Really a groundbreaking app. I've never used tracking before, is there any way to import a good scheme through opentrack? Messing with the curves myself makes it feel a little janky.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Psycho Society posted:

Was reading this thread's old posts and discovered smoothtrack. Really a groundbreaking app. I've never used tracking before, is there any way to import a good scheme through opentrack? Messing with the curves myself makes it feel a little janky.

Importing someone else's curves directly may not be super useful because it's specific to the layout between your face, screen, and camera. However, I'm gonna quote an awesome post from earlier in the thread that explains some of the logic of how to set yours up:

Sagebrush posted:

Here are my OpenTrack curves, just so you have an idea of a reasonable starting point

Yaw: 1-to-1 mapping in the center of the view, accelerating as you move through 90 degrees, then decelerating again at the corner of the screen looking over your shoulder. This makes it easy to look around the instrument panel while still having full travel. Capped at 160 degrees because that's about as far as you can realistically look sideways without getting out of your chair.

Pitch: Mostly linear with a slight acceleration. Mapped about 2-to-1 in the center, because monitors are wider than they are tall and you don't want to be craning your neck. Capped at values that prevent you from flipping upside down. Faster acceleration in the top half because you want to be able to freely track bad guys, slower in the bottom half for precision when looking around the cockpit.

Roll: 1-to-1 linear because there's no reason for anything else here.

X, Y: slow linear, capped at a value that corresponds roughly with hitting your head on the canopy. If you don't cap these you will be able to stick your head out into the airstream.

Z: also slow, but mapped with deceleration on the backwards motion (you don't want to fling yourself backwards through the seat) but slight acceleration forwards (normally you want to stay at the same zoom level, but sometimes squint at a gauge by sitting up closer).

When you're first starting out, it may help to just disable everything except pitch and yaw, and get those calibrated and feeling right before you go for the full six axes.

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010

plester1 posted:

Importing someone else's curves directly may not be super useful because it's specific to the layout between your face, screen, and camera. However, I'm gonna quote an awesome post from earlier in the thread that explains some of the logic of how to set yours up:

This is perfect, thanks a ton!

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

Is anyone getting the bug where you CTD if you click on the screen of the Garmins?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I picked up the stupid li'l ultralight from Fly Away Home that Asobo sells for a tenner, and that thing is so fun in VR. It's got me looking into the marketplace airplanes a bit, and I'm curious what people think about some of the Carenado planes? They seem to mostly be well received, but it looks like the Arrow has some problems maybe? People don't seem too big on it, but I was looking at the other Piper aircraft or maybe the M20R Ovation? I like flying GA, but was looking for a step up from the Cessnas.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Squiggle posted:

I picked up the stupid li'l ultralight from Fly Away Home that Asobo sells for a tenner, and that thing is so fun in VR. It's got me looking into the marketplace airplanes a bit, and I'm curious what people think about some of the Carenado planes? They seem to mostly be well received, but it looks like the Arrow has some problems maybe? People don't seem too big on it, but I was looking at the other Piper aircraft or maybe the M20R Ovation? I like flying GA, but was looking for a step up from the Cessnas.

Carenado stuff usually follows a pattern of "looks good, flies okay, has some issues".

Basically, they'll release something, issue one patch, and then move on to releasing something else, and the fact that their aircraft are only sold via the marketplace means it's impossible for anyone else to fix the problems.

MSFS breaking stuff with every update has somewhat helped with them issuing more patches, but as an example, the M20 has been broken since SU5 released (over a month ago), and Carenado keeps coming up with excuses why it's not fixed yet.

If you're looking at the Pipers, the Justflight models are going to be much better products, bit they're a bit more expensive.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Whoa, wait, so there's a market/add-on ecosystem beyond the in-built Marketplace? poo poo.

Okay, Justflight's stuff...looks like a nice Turbo Arrow III. Cool!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Squiggle posted:

Whoa, wait, so there's a market/add-on ecosystem beyond the in-built Marketplace? poo poo.

The third-party add-on market for flight simulator has existed since the '80s, and they've moved primarily to online distribution since FSX. The MSFS marketplace is the newcomer on the scene, and many vendors still sell primarily through their own marketplaces.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

One plus of buying direct from devs is they can you release patches whenever they want. It can take a few days to get it on the ms store. This is very handy when asobo releases an update and breaks everything.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Squiggle posted:

Probably the two biggest 3rd party sites are Justflight (they sell their own stuff, and some from other developers), and simmarket.

Justflight tends to be a bit more expensive, but their stuff is usually very good, and the 3rd party stuff they sell tends to be pretty high quality as well.

Simmarket is kind of like the Alibaba or Amazon of FS add-ons, since they'll let basically anyone list anything there, which means there's some really good stuff (indiafoxtecho and Sim Skunk Works come to mind), and some absolute crap, since they've had more than a few products get yanked when it was discovered the developers had stolen content from someone else or released something they didn't have rights to.

The MS marketplace usually works pretty well, and it's probably the easiest to use, but it suffers from MS being very slow to approve content (it's usually a couple weeks behind 3rd party sites), slow to issue updates, and since it has to maintain the same ERSB/PEGI rating as MSFS, there's a ban ok developers selling anything depicting weapons, which means that aircraft like the Corsair, F-15 and F-14 sold there are actually missing content that's contained on the same airplanes sold via other means.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Squiggle posted:

I have the ovation. It's beautiful and it's steam gauge + Garmin combined setup is a lot of fun.

It is also very powerful and I feel they made it a bit too nimble. But I've never seen it IRL so I wouldn't know, it just feels suspiciously powerful and maneuverable.

Sound is excellent. Big part of the fun.

Hope they release a patch soon.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

azflyboy posted:

Probably the two biggest 3rd party sites are Justflight (they sell their own stuff, and some from other developers), and simmarket.

Justflight tends to be a bit more expensive, but their stuff is usually very good, and the 3rd party stuff they sell tends to be pretty high quality as well.

Simmarket is kind of like the Alibaba or Amazon of FS add-ons, since they'll let basically anyone list anything there, which means there's some really good stuff (indiafoxtecho and Sim Skunk Works come to mind), and some absolute crap, since they've had more than a few products get yanked when it was discovered the developers had stolen content from someone else or released something they didn't have rights to.

On the smaller end, OrbX also has their own store where they sell planes from other folks as well as their own scenery packs. Limited plane selection, but what's there is good quality. They also have their own downloader/update client to make managing things a bit easier.

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

azflyboy posted:

I actually reported this guy's stuff to the admin of SimMarket, as it is city photogrammetry that's really obviously ripped from Google Earth. I even sent the admin examples of where the Google Earth scenery matched the scenery screenshots on SimMarket. That was six months ago. Nothing has happened. I suppose they will only remove products if they receive a cease & desist from the actual rights holder.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I endorse stealing from google, but only if you share the results for free. Selling google's photogrammetry as a bunch of individually packaged cities is lame as hell.

edit: Has anyone actually made free mods based on google maps photogrammetry?

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Has anyone actually made free mods based on google maps photogrammetry?

The "cities" category on flightsim.to has loads of photogrammetry from Google Earth. There are tools/guides that make it fairly easy to rip stuff from Google Earth and convert it to MFS scenerey. Only drawback is that it generates tons of small texture files that increase load times massively. There are also guides/tools to reduce the number of texture files, but most modders don't do that because :effort: Also, most Google Earth photogrammetry is noticeably brighter and bluer than the rest of the MFS scenery, and most modders don't bother to colour correct it, because, again :effort:

Sebastian Flyte fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 10, 2021

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Sheesh I wouldn't want to be the guy getting lawyered to death over selling pirated google property

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Man, Google has 3D modeled like 20 times as many cities as Microsoft. I wish we could somehow just stream that data in.

edit: also lol at this poo poo even though they're just using google's work without permission

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Sep 10, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

When FS debuted as a generational leap in scenery fidelity, but using loving Bing map data, a monkey’s paw somewhere started loving convulsing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What this game needs is a repository of community voted content. Letting people create content, given certain size restrictions, run it through community voting, let Asobo have a final say, and then make it available through streaming like the 3D cities. Exclude airports for all I care, if they still want things on the marketplace.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 10, 2021

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I figured out that if I jack up my chair as high as it goes and put my pedals on a small box, I can dangle my legs in the "air" flying the Top Rudder Solo 103 ultralight in VR and it feels VERY weird. Cool sensation.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Combat Pretzel posted:

What this game needs is a repository of community voted content. Letting people create content, given certain size restrictions, run it through community voting, let Asobo have a final say, and then make it available through streaming like the 3D cities. Exclude airports for all I care, if they still want things on the marketplace.

Dunno that sounds like five minutes before someone mods in 9/11 and Asobo gets bombed by the CIA

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

Dunno that sounds like five minutes before someone mods in 9/11 and Asobo gets bombed by the CIA

people have been crashing planes into the pentagon since the game launched (along with a wide variety of other buildings, of course)

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Man, Google has 3D modeled like 20 times as many cities as Microsoft. I wish we could somehow just stream that data in.

edit: also lol at this poo poo even though they're just using google's work without permission

I thought someone found a way to import Google Maps Data?

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

sigher posted:

Has been possible since the SDK came out. Basically rip from google earth, import to 3d software like blender then export in a model file the game can see. Then dip into the SDK to place it in the world. Load of tutorials up, unless they changed recently that is.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sigher posted:

Yes, that's what we're talking about. Having to download and maintain separate mods for every city, and loading them all in when starting the game, is not nearly as convenient as MS's built in world streaming system though.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Lord Stimperor posted:

You do know that the new WTC is in by nature of NY being photogrammetry? Can just train flying into that one.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Zero One posted:

Assuming you are not in the EU... It's an international charge, FYI. Your bank might not be approving it. You may need to call them to unblock the charge.

Also you'll be hit with foreign currency fees if your bank has those.

FWIW the transaction never went through. I called my CC company and they said there wasn't even a charge attempt. Their processor must have poo poo the bed when I tried.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Been working on radio navigation, going from VOR to VOR via airways using the radios instead of GPS and it's a lot of fun.

I also picked up the Just Flight Piper Turbo Arrow and while I enjoy flying it, I'm kinda surprised how slow it is. I'm having a helluva time landing it, the Piper seems really slippery on final.

Also I've had my first CTD in ages. No clue why according to Event Viewer.

Edit: Apparently MSFS can now detect when you CTD? I had a prompt come up on the following launch asking if I wanted to enable Safe Mode.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 10, 2021

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yup. It happened to me when I landed in the Vancouver harbor. I guess the 3rd party scenery made stuff go boom. Very awesome that it gives you the ability to load safe mode to test stuff.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

I'm doing the great Alps bush trip right now. It's a good one. However be aware that some of the areas the game expects you to overfly are above the planes service ceiling, at least for me. So there are some legs where you need to go around vast mountains, which requires some patience.

(It might also be that there's a bug with the xcubs performance but either way)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The service ceiling for the XCub is listed as 14,000 feet. Aside from the tallest peaks, it should be able of fly over most of the terrain in the Alps. The only thing I can think of is if you forgot to lower the mixture, but it also wouldn't be the first sim bug of this type.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I've been doing the Finland bush trip in the XCub but wouldn't know, because Finland is apparently the flattest place on earth.

I also somehow managed to delete my flight plan, so I have to kind of dead reckon anything that isn't an airport that shows up on the map.