Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

low key sex master posted:

Mandatory sex for all married citizens

You will comply, or you will die

Look, there are two ways to solve the problem "more old people than young people", and one of them is "have more babies".

Help one way or help the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
What do chinese people think about potatoes anyway?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02230-1

quote:

China’s ambitious plan to make the potato a staple crop could slash greenhouse-gas emissions — if the country’s diners sacrifice some of their rice consumption.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

still better than swedens tho

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Ailumao posted:

this was actually one of the reasonable claims of why china just annihilated all training schools and after school classes for kids. theyre also supposedly cutting back on homework. i got no idea what will actually happen here or how long it'll hold or any other various side effects and other things that may happen.

of course 2 weeks ago they also made it so kids can only play video games 3 specific hours a week so idk what they want kids to do with all the free time?? maybe sports or smth idk.

If you wanna get kids to gently caress, making sure they aren't just stuck inside playing games or doing homework but instead spend time hanging out in person (possibly with alchohol) is one way to do it.

Does sound like they are squashing the negative aspects without giving guidelines on positive replacements though, so they'll probably just spend their time on streams or social media instead.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

His Divine Shadow posted:

:mad::hf::(

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

The most aggressive antivaxxer on my Facebook feed is Swedish so I guess this tracks.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Devils Affricate posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-58506598

Welp, these people are hosed. Honestly this didn't happen earlier, though.

Every time this happens, I'm glad we didn't return those artefacts from the British Museum.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Let's not be crazy, South Korea has like, eight megacorps that run everything.

I love how the Korean word for their giant corporations, Chaebol, is literally just the Korean reading of the characters for Zaibatsu (财阀/財閥cái fá if you're curious). Not even pretending to be anything less than a megacorp.

Also related but reading Samsung in Japanese is funny, unless my Japanese is completely gone then I'm pretty sure the Hanja are read as Mitsuboshi, or Three Stars.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Sep 10, 2021

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Don Gato posted:

I love how the Korean word for their giant corporations, Chaebol, is literally just the Korean reading of the characters for Zaibatsu (财阀/財閥cái fá if you're curious). Not even pretending to be anything less than a megacorp.

Also related but reading Samsung in Japanese is funny, unless my Japanese is completely gone then I'm pretty sure the Hanja are read as Mitsuboshi, or Three Stars.

Doesnt Samsung just mean "three stars" in Korean so isn't that what it should be in Japanese if they use characters? The Chinese name is 三星 which is also three stars.

A weird company naming thing I found out only recently is how Panasonic is called 松下电器 in China and that's cuz "松下" was its Japanese name until like a decade ago when they lost the old Japanese name to just be Panasonic, but it lives on in China~

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Sep 10, 2021

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Ailumao posted:

Doesnt Samsung just mean "three stars" in Korean so isn't that what it should be in Japanese if they use characters? The Chinese name is 三星 which is also three stars.

Yeah it's all just literally the same, and probably used 三星 in Korea more often as well when it first opened, esp since it was opened during Japanese occupation so the Japanese name was maybe the primary name it used? Dunno so much about how thoroughly they suppressed using Korean during that era.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Swedish schools suppress Finnish. Finnish schools don't suppress Swedish. So you're wrong.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

LimburgLimbo posted:

Yeah it's all just literally the same, and probably used 三星 in Korea more often as well when it first opened, esp since it was opened during Japanese occupation so the Japanese name was maybe the primary name it used? Dunno so much about how thoroughly they suppressed using Korean during that era.

Samsung is basically the only chaebol from the colonial era and the name is a deliberate reference to Mitsubishi, which means 3 diamonds. In modern times both aspects are downplayed. I wasn't commenting on the meaning i was commenting on how it basically is pronounced the same in Japanese as Mitsubishi, my kanji is just really bad so i forgot exactly which pronunciation of 星 was the right one.

Also the era that Samsung was born was also the beginning of greatest repression of Korean culture during the entire colonization period. So basically no one is learning Korean in official schools and everyone needs a Japanese name. Also the era when future Korean dictator Park Chung Hee joined the Imperial Japanese army and learned about how military dictatorships under a veneer of democracy is the best system of government, which he took to heart when he ruled South Korea.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Sep 10, 2021

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Ailumao posted:

this was actually one of the reasonable claims of why china just annihilated all training schools and after school classes for kids. theyre also supposedly cutting back on homework. i got no idea what will actually happen here or how long it'll hold or any other various side effects and other things that may happen.

of course 2 weeks ago they also made it so kids can only play video games 3 specific hours a week so idk what they want kids to do with all the free time?? maybe sports or smth idk.

I'm working at one of those bullshit private schools and the new regulations are affecting how I teach the failsons and faildaughters of China.

We can give homework, but it somehow has to add up to one hour, tops. Oh, and no grades below second get homework.

Atopian posted:

It seems pretty clear that many people in charge of educational policy in China are aware that the standard approach hasn't been helping, and that the current "race to get better results on bullshit standardised tests" isn't working.
But it seems equally clear that they can't or won't fix the problem themselves, instead just trying to shuffle pressures around so that others fix their problem for them.

That is the essence of Chinese Management. It's always someone else's problem.

Nothingtoseehere posted:

If you wanna get kids to gently caress, making sure they aren't just stuck inside playing games or doing homework but instead spend time hanging out in person (possibly with alchohol) is one way to do it.

Does sound like they are squashing the negative aspects without giving guidelines on positive replacements though, so they'll probably just spend their time on streams or social media instead.

I know a few Chinese folks who don't have a partner because, "they don't have the time."

Is Hihikimori a thing in China as it is in Japan?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Atopian posted:

But it seems equally clear that they can't or won't fix the problem themselves, instead just trying to shuffle pressures around so that others fix their problem for them.

welcome you to China

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

What do chinese people think about potatoes anyway?

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02230-1

Unironically one of the top five things I ever ate in China was this fried potato thing from a local chain in Chengdu called People's Cafeteria. I had to ration myself to avoid eating it seven days a week.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Swedish schools suppress Finnish. Finnish schools don't suppress Swedish. So you're wrong.

They absolutely do not, but this is the wrong thread to analyse where or who you got that insanity from

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

They absolutely do not, but this is the wrong thread to analyse where or who you got that insanity from

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/13/swedens-finns-fear-minority-language-rights-are-under-threat

(The original source isn't The Guardian, obviously.)

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=the+guardian+sweden+immigration

It's the guardian. The only articles about Sweden they want to reprint are spurious horror stories. If you want to believe them, then go ahead, knock yourself out I guess.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Grand Fromage posted:

Unironically one of the top five things I ever ate in China was this fried potato thing from a local chain in Chengdu called People's Cafeteria. I had to ration myself to avoid eating it seven days a week.

My inlaws do potatoes that are half tornado potato, half Halal snack pack. Left alone, I would probably eat them until I exploded.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

My inlaws do potatoes that are half tornado potato, half Halal snack pack. Left alone, I would probably eat them until I exploded.

Ffffffffffd I need these so bad

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I've never had a potato dish from Chinese cuisine that I didn't like. China knows how to do potato.

It'll never, ever replace rice, though. I'm pretty sure a lot of Chinese people think they literally can't live without rice.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
material inroads in rice have been made in korea cuz korean peeps got rich

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I don't like the half cooked potato strips thing. I don't want crunchy undercooked potatoes.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Devils Affricate posted:

I've never had a potato dish from Chinese cuisine that I didn't like. China knows how to do potato.

It'll never, ever replace rice, though. I'm pretty sure a lot of Chinese people think they literally can't live without rice.

Time to invest all my money in potato ricers.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Forceholy posted:

Is Hihikimori a thing in China as it is in Japan?

Kind of? It's more like they don't leave net cafes rather than their bedrooms. My perspective is from a few years ago tho.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Hey serious question, has anyone been to China recently?

My wife wants me to drop off our son with her family and help her mom get a visa so she can help with our second child due in Feb. , also because she hasn't seen her family in ten years. I'm hearing 3-4 week mandatory quarantine which I'm not sure how I could manage/afford that with a toddler. And I'm guessing it will be like that forever?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Apparently the new life is strange game is getting review bombed for having the Tibetan flag in it.

quote:

"No game player cares about developers' political inclination but our nation's territorial integrity. Foolish developers ruined the game and brand."

"No one should challenge the bottom line of the Chinese people at any time"

"The game advocates the independence of Tibet.
Despite all its merits of sound, narrative, beautiful game scene or anything, I won't give it a like.
Because it is not allowed for any foreign studios to discuss or to interfere in China's internal affairs.
I really dig into 3A narrative-based games, for few game studios would spend a lot of time and efforts in producing a text-based game and it doesn't cater to the current gaming market.
However, I believe a good game should not get involved in any certain perspectives toward politics, religion or sex."

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah, that's one part of Chinese culture I've never got my head around: how some not-especially-active people can eat so many carbs at every meal.

I mean I don't even understand the physics of it. What are they doing with all that energy?

kntfkr posted:

Hey serious question, has anyone been to China recently?

My wife wants me to drop off our son with her family and help her mom get a visa so she can help with our second child due in Feb. , also because she hasn't seen her family in ten years. I'm hearing 3-4 week mandatory quarantine which I'm not sure how I could manage/afford that with a toddler. And I'm guessing it will be like that forever?

2 week quarantine at first port of entry IIRC, followed by whatever the rules for moving around internally are.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Brutal Garcon posted:

Yeah, that's one part of Chinese culture I've never got my head around: how some not-especially-active people can eat so many carbs at every meal.

I mean I don't even understand the physics of it. What are they doing with all that energy?

Carbs are just another form of energy. If you're not also mainlining liters of pepsi right into your veins each day and constantly snacking you can eat a fuckton of rice.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The numbers I found for 2017 from the International Diabetes Federation show that 25% of the world's diabetics live in China.

Lollerich
Mar 25, 2004

The little doctors are back,
they want to play with you!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

PUT IT IN MY MOUTH RIGHT THE gently caress NOW :ssj:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

McGavin posted:

The numbers I found for 2017 from the International Diabetes Federation show that 25% of the world's diabetics live in China.

what the gently caress america!!

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

McGavin posted:

How much of that is just raw numbers from China being loving huge though? According to the government, China has more christians than France does but it still is only like 2% of the population.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Megillah Gorilla posted:

a baked potato with chinese characteristics :stare:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

People eat a pretty staggering amount of rice. Normal at a restaurant to see a table of locals leave half their food uneaten but polish off several buckets of rice. I like rice fine but can't imagine eating piles of it instead of finishing the ganbian sijidou I actually paid for and has flavors and nutrition.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
You'll take my rice from my cold, dead hands. Rice for every meal! Rice is life! Rice! Rice! Rice!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eating the same thing at every meal also is one of those mental gaps I can't cross.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
peep the size of the meals and peeps in this one

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/history-of-korean-food

obesity diabetes and all that poo poo is a thermodynamic disease but its also an endocrine-regulatory disease, you know? theres a lotta fat regulation mechanisms in peeps bodies but theyre borked in modernity. who knows why

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Don Gato posted:

How much of that is just raw numbers from China being loving huge though? According to the government, China has more christians than France does but it still is only like 2% of the population.

A study in the BMJ indicated that the overall prevalence of diabetes in mainland China in 2017 was 12.8% using the ADA diagnostic criteria and 11.2% using World Health Organization criteria.

The prevalence of pre-diabetes was 35.2%. :wow: That's higher than the US value of 34.5%.

McGavin fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Eating the same thing at every meal also is one of those mental gaps I can't cross.

I'm half-Japanese, rice was a non-negotiable part of every meal.

McGavin posted:

A study in the BMJ indicated that the overall prevalence of diabetes in mainland China in 2017 was 12.8% using the ADA diagnostic criteria and 11.2% using World Health Organization criteria.

The prevalence of pre-diabetes was 35.2%. :wow: That's higher than the US value of 34.5%.

Jesus Christ superstar are they butt chugging corn syrup or something? I thought that was South Korea's job.

Don Gato fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 10, 2021