Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Austin and Minneapolis, those famously Appalachian cities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Golbez posted:

Austin and Minneapolis, those famously Appalachian cities.

Appalachia starts in the pyranees

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I can believe it.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

MeinPanzer posted:

Most road networks within those parts of Europe that were within the Roman Empire remained effectively similar to their Roman foundations until the early Modern period. It's hard to overstate how significant Roman infrastructure was in defining European overland transportation prior to the Renaissance.

Well to be fair, in a given topography there is not that much leeway for changing a road layout: you'll often follow the same river valleys, or cross the same mountain passes for example.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Chikimiki posted:

Well to be fair, in a given topography there is not that much leeway for changing a road layout: you'll often follow the same river valleys, or cross the same mountain passes for example.

Next you’ll tell me that the width of two Roman horses’ arses didn’t determine the diameter of the Space Shuttle’s solid rocket motors.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Chikimiki posted:

A lot of interstates (outside of the ones going over flat nothing plains) go back to pre-columbian routes.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!
Anyone is interested on my plan to reforest USA?

The idea is to use Blue Wisteria Chinese trees ( color blue ) and Red Arce ( color red )

(work in progress, I only have planned a few counties)

Once all the trees are planted and grown up. USA will be a giant USA flag easily to see from space or even other planets. Probably the largest USA flag in the galaxy. A 2,800 miles wide USA flag.

Edit:
forgot about the white parts.

Tei fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Sep 10, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If you can plant flowering trees that burst scarlet red across the whole US on May 1st I'm in

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Brawnfire posted:

If you can plant flowering trees that burst scarlet red across the whole US on May 1st I'm in

It don't looks like imposible, theres already a lot of trees with red or red-ish colors. It would only be a matter of some selection.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Doesnøt the US have labour day specifically to not acknowledge May 1st?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

That's what I've always figured, that it was a "subtle" way of breaking off US labor from the global labor movement and treating it as its own problem to be crushed underfoot.

I used to push back really hard on Fake Labor Day and go in on May 1st but now I'm like two days for Labor isn't enough anyways, labor should have every day, and also every community and all the money

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The funny thing is, May Day was chosen because on that day in 1886 began massive labor protests in the US, with like a lot of people dead in Chicago alone.

Actually now that I think about it, it kinda makes sense why the US politicians opted for september instead od may

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

that's what Cinco de Mayo (US edition) is for - can't have TWO holidays so close to each other, and people are pretty easily swayed by an excuse to get hammered.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Appalachia starts in the pyranees

Pee is stored in the Pyrenees

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Pee is stored in the

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Notice also the subtle changing of the focus of labor day. May Day is about fighting for your rights and so on (the Danish name for it is literally "international worker's fighting day", although it sounds a lot better in Danish), and it's usually celebrated (at least in Denmark) with red flags, leftist (in theory) political speeches and more or less sanctioned leaving work. It's getting to be more of a "blow off work and get drunk" day, but that's mostly because liberalism and especially proto fascism has taken hold of the working/lower class demographic.

In contrast, American labor day is about celebrating all the good American work done by the workers, and how it helps keep the country together and so on :911:
It's very American and very bad.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

What does this forestry plan remind me of...

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Rebel Blob posted:

What does this forestry plan remind me of...

The antidote to that:

wisconsingreg
Jan 13, 2019
This is confirming all my sterotypes about forestry workers

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Vasukhani posted:

This is confirming all my sterotypes about forestry workers

Their passion for restoring greater Yugoslavia is indeed legendary

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

To bring things back to maps...

https://www.reddit.com/r/imaginarymaps/comments/8p5t89/political_map_of_northeast_america_in_1778/

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

The Android/iOS app "World Geography - Quiz Game" hasn't been updated in a while. It's missing, for instance, the new Mississippi flag adopted in January. Anyone know if the developer is abandoning it?

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I was about to complain about Israel being disputed, but that is actually a huge wasps nest to talk about. Considering European Jews European makes a lot of sense, but the same people will also claim middle Eastern (Israeli) ancestry.

Turkey I get though.

It's also interesting to see how Eastern Russia has been populated by Europeans.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BonHair posted:

Notice also the subtle changing of the focus of labor day. May Day is about fighting for your rights and so on (the Danish name for it is literally "international worker's fighting day", although it sounds a lot better in Danish), and it's usually celebrated (at least in Denmark) with red flags, leftist (in theory) political speeches and more or less sanctioned leaving work. It's getting to be more of a "blow off work and get drunk" day, but that's mostly because liberalism and especially proto fascism has taken hold of the working/lower class demographic.

In contrast, American labor day is about celebrating all the good American work done by the workers, and how it helps keep the country together and so on :911:
It's very American and very bad.

please, instead of saying "Danish" or "in Denmark" you can just say "outside the US". theyre the ones who hosed up

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
a large fraction of Jews in Israel (like 40%) are of Mizrahi descent, plus there's a powerful undercurrent in Israeli Sephardic society that seeks to shirk any notion of a European identity for Israel.

not to mention all the, y'know, Arabs that happen to live there.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

please, instead of saying "Danish" or "in Denmark" you can just say "outside the US". theyre the ones who hosed up

Yeah, that's my feeling, but I don't want to make blanket statements when I actually only know my own local traditions. I'm guessing Russia and China have some different takes maybe?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Labour Day is not celebrated in the Netherlands and it's one of the few countries that doesn't.

Well, members of the Labour Party tend to do a small personal celebration but that's it.

The reason it's not celebrated here is supposedly historical. From what I read the reason is, in NL labour rights were won slowly, over time, by negotiating with employers instead of by loud protests. And since there wasn't a specific day when workers got rights, there's supposedly nothing to celebrate.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Western Sahara should have "no data", but otherwise perfect map

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

The Android/iOS app "World Geography - Quiz Game" hasn't been updated in a while. It's missing, for instance, the new Mississippi flag adopted in January. Anyone know if the developer is abandoning it?

Some Heads of State have been updated recently but yeah the Mississippi flag has been wrong for a long time now.

There was an update promised at the start of this month by the Facebook group mods which would add more sub-national regions but it hasn't been implemented yet. The developer himself hasn't posted in the FB group for over a year now though mods continue to run weekly bonus events for the game.

I've recently retaken the all-time single-day points records in this game :smug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can we just go ahead and abolish Europe? Fake continent imo

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can we just go ahead and abolish Europe? Fake continent imo

Maybe consider it a subcontinent, like India. Though even that is a bit of a stretch.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BonHair posted:

I was about to complain about Israel being disputed, but that is actually a huge wasps nest to talk about. Considering European Jews European makes a lot of sense, but the same people will also claim middle Eastern (Israeli) ancestry.

Well, a slim majority of Israeli Jews descend from Middle Eastern and North African Jews.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Randarkman posted:

Well, a slim majority of Israeli Jews descend from Middle Eastern and North African Jews.

Mizrahim. Flashbacks to that twitter main character who was pissed at ashkenazim for having "nazi" in the name.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Mizrahim. Flashbacks to that twitter main character who was pissed at ashkenazim for having "nazi" in the name.

Well, Sephardi is just as commonly used as an identifyer, because several centuries back a large part of the Jewish population of North Africa, Greece and Asia Minor came out of Spain and Italy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I always heard there were tensions between the different groups of Jews in Israel, but I assume that's subsided over the decades, as they've blended together more.

I really don't like Israeli policies, but it's been a really interesting experiment in nation-building.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Count Roland posted:

Maybe consider it a subcontinent, like India. Though even that is a bit of a stretch.

I have preferred "European subcontinent" for years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I always heard there were tensions between the different groups of Jews in Israel, but I assume that's subsided over the decades, as they've blended together more.

That's still more or less there, it's just that you don't have as extreme circumstances underpinning as in hte early years after 1948 where a very large portion of the newly arrived Mizrahi, Sephardi and Beta Israel populations were living in refugee/transit camsp for years on end and essentially provided a large pool (their arrival basically doubled Israel's population overnight so to speak) of cheap and unskilled (well not really, many of them were highly skilled, but that's the usual fate of immigrants and refugees...) labor for the newly created country.

Still though there are distinctions, and in the case of Beta Israel and others who are black or darker skinned, outright racism and discrimination that's often gone unadressed. Outside of that more extreme case there are still political and religious movements that for instance specifically cater to Sephardim, and there's something of a split in the ultra orthodox community between the Ashkenazi-descended groups and the Sephardi ones, one of the issues they've differed on is the issue of conscription and attitude to the Israeli state, with the Sephardi groups tending to be more open to compromise (i.e. accept conscription and more positive towards towards the state).