Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Bussamove posted:

:goonsay:

Blasters are basically particle beam cannons that fire bolts of energy made by superheating gas in the chamber. So the damage ends up being a mix of kinetic— which is why people go flying when they get hit— and heat which is why things sometimes get melty/there’s sparks and poo poo. The light beam is just a byproduct of the bolt, like the muzzle flash of a gun.

Stormtrooper armor is just intimidating, effectively useless paper mache. In the offshoot stuff there’s plenty of examples of armor that actually does its job.

IIRC, blasters are also apparently really inaccurate compared to say, contemporary rifles, though being basically gas and battery powered means they're still far more practical in-setting logistically than physical projectiles. Hence why you see some Clone Troopers dual-wielding blasters; if you're good enough with them it's genuinely better.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

In one of Star Wars cartoons, Rebels, I think, a clone states outright that only the first generation stormtrooper armour is any good.

Of course, they were a first generation clone, so they might be biased.

That would make a lot of sense, mind. Stormtroopers are in a lot of ways basically pretenders to Clone Troopers, and the Empire moved specifically into a 'quantity over quality' model of logistics, hence TIE fighters and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It 100% wouldn't surprise me to find out Stormtrooper armor automatically killed the wearer if they fell. Tie fighters had no shields so that you "became a better pilot"

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Gort posted:

I always wondered about the loudness of the bullet from a suppressed gun hitting a wall. Like a really fast chunk of metal hitting the side of a container's gotta be pretty loud, right? Though you might not recognise it as an "I'm being shot at!" noise, I guess.

Do modern military or armed police units make much use of silencers?

It was kind of wild hearing the subsonic .22lr bullet hitting the backstop & noticing it was about as loud as the pistol's report.

The US Marines will standardize the use of suppressors for all units, but at the moment it's mostly the higher-end special forces that get suppressors. Funny thing is that for the US military's requirements, sound suppression is on the bottom of the list of what they want suppressors to do; higher up is flash suppression, minimizing point-of-aim shift, and minimizing back pressure. Considering most units are still shooting bullets that travel faster than the speed of sound, you get the supersonic crack no matter what.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
We all know the main reason to use a supressor is that it looks cool.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That would make a lot of sense, mind. Stormtroopers are in a lot of ways basically pretenders to Clone Troopers, and the Empire moved specifically into a 'quantity over quality' model of logistics, hence TIE fighters and such.

I'm sure there are some more moments where Rex, a high ranking first generation clone trooper, insults stormtrooper armour, but this is all I could find with a quick google where he calls it "junk" and "garbage:.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toven40lH0g&t=9s

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 16:55 on Sep 10, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I did appreciate in earlier seasons of Game of Thrones where they'd have dialogue scenes set while someone was being helped into their armor. It was nice to illustrate the reality of how difficult it is and how much help you need putting all that poo poo on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Len posted:

It 100% wouldn't surprise me to find out Stormtrooper armor automatically killed the wearer if they fell. Tie fighters had no shields so that you "became a better pilot"

Was more that shields cost more money, and TIE fighters are as cheap as you can possibly get. Like, they don't have life support, hence why the pilots wear full-body spacesuits.

Interestingly, apparently TIEs were based on starfighters specifically designed for Jedi, which barely needed shields when you have a precognitive pilot.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, and subsonic .22 is a very small amount of powder.

We fired some primer-only .22s through my buddy's Gemtech on his Ruger Precision, and it wasn't even as loud as a sneeze.

Of course you could see the rounds arc downrange and they're probably hitting with about as much force as a paintball by that point.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

BiggerBoat posted:

Maybe I'm dense but this still doesn't track for me. If all the men are in on it and Frank is going to be dead anyhow than what difference does that make? And why invoke Michael's name?

Help a dumb goon out here. Thanks

To get Frank to (a) be afraid for his life and (b) feel betrayed by Michael so that he squeals on Michael to the Senate Committee and gets his criminal enterprise demolished by the government. In other words, Roth wants the government to do what he can't. The idea is that Frank *isn't* going to be dead anyhow, the hit was staged to drive Frank into the arms of the government and witness protection.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

flavor.flv posted:

The transformation warps Hulk's cornea and makes him very nearsighted. That's part of the reason he goes on unstoppable rampages, he genuinely can't tell which moving blur is friend or foe

That's also why it takes a character getting close enough to touch his face for him to calm down

I'm down with this explanation.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Looking forward to the storyline where Reed Richards builds some kind of Gamma LASIK

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

christmas boots posted:

Looking forward to the storyline where Reed Richards builds some kind of Gamma LASIK

Sadly, I don't think it would work given Hulk's powers of regeneration

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Grapes! posted:

So, is there ever a movie in which someone is shot and killed with a silenced gun but they scream really loud?

Like in movies people can be shout with loud guns and make loud screams, but when anyone gets capped with a silenced pistol they usually just grunt or die silently. Same thing with knives - getting stabbed to death has been movie/videogame logicked into being a Silent Kill but I've worked on a farm and butchered animals and those poor bastards can get mighty loud even with a cut throat.

Just once I'd like to see a movie with Super Stealthy Silent Operators who expertly chuck a throwing knife into a guy's chest and have him just start screaming bloody murder.

This is cheating, because it's a "nobody has heard of it" indie film my cousin made, but in Black Wine this is subverted. Somebody gets gut-stabbed and they spend an uncomfortably long time bleeding out and screaming, ala Mr Orange in the beginning of Reservoir Dogs. The stabber has to blast the stereo to mask the sounds so the neighbors don't hear it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm down with this explanation.

Hell, that would actually make a lot of sense, at the very least if the halfway-between Professor Hulk form has some downsides.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

flavor.flv posted:

The transformation warps Hulk's cornea and makes him very nearsighted. That's part of the reason he goes on unstoppable rampages, he genuinely can't tell which moving blur is friend or foe

That's also why it takes a character getting close enough to touch his face for him to calm down

Hulk is a moose

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
IIRC the WEG Star Wars RPG sourcebooks claim that the real purpose of Stormtrooper armor was protection from primitive projectile weapons and the environment. Obviously the former is dubious considering we see troopers in full armor beaten dead/unconscious by blind men with blunt sticks and stabbed to death by cannibalistic teddy bears with stone-tipped spears, but maybe there's some truth to the latter considering they seem to be able to function equally in their armor (with some modification) on all the various biomes we see, from frozen iceball to temperate rainforest to desert wasteland.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Hulk wears contacts.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC, blasters are also apparently really inaccurate compared to say, contemporary rifles, though being basically gas and battery powered means they're still far more practical in-setting logistically than physical projectiles. Hence why you see some Clone Troopers dual-wielding blasters; if you're good enough with them it's genuinely better.

I'm not sure about "inaccurate", at least in terms of Star Wars, but blaster bolts do move a hell of a lot slower than bullets. The Star Wars setting does occasionally have normal projectile weapons, called slugthrowers, though I can never remember why they're not used more often. I know sometimes shotguns get hauled out as anti-Jedi weaponry, on the basis of "deflect all these at once, you sorcerous rear end in a top hat."

Stargate SG-1 famously addressed the blasters vs firearms issue with the weapon of terror/weapon of war scene.
https://youtu.be/NjlCVW_ouL8

(I suspect gun people might chuckle about the P90 being presented as a "weapon of war", or about sawing the log in half with those bullets, or point out that having those two jamokes stand down by the logs is terrible range discipline)

Also I remember Babylon 5 using blasters because, unlike bullets, they weren't likely to punch through the hull and space everyone.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Prof hulk wears glasses cause banner wears glasses. He's farsighted and pops em on for reading/examining stuff. Prof is a mix of hulk and banner, so he might not NEED to wear em but feels more comfortable doing it.

Comedy option of wearing em cause no one will recognize him as the hulk until he takes them off, allowing him to eat his giant breakfasts in peace.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Lol operating on the same logic as Superman, I would love to see Hulk get a job as a cpa or something and just have it be unnoticed by everyone because “why would the Hulk have a day job?”

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Hey Sally, have you uh...you know Frank, right? Has anyone ever mentioned that he might, you know-"
"Tim you had better not say he's the Hulk or something. Why would the Hulk work here? That's ridiculous. Anyway HR brought it up before, it's some skin condition or something, he's really sensitive about it so try not to bring it up?"

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
In the comics he did have a job as a baseball player wearing blackface. He also wore body bandages and face bandages to also play baseball too, I think. There's a chance I'm messing up the sport/job in one of those though.

Thor was a construction worker for a bit, and so was juggernaut. Apparently in the marvel universe there are a workload of just extremely jacked, huge people.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Sep 10, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How does the Hulk wipe himself?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

christmas boots posted:

Lol operating on the same logic as Superman, I would love to see Hulk get a job as a cpa or something and just have it be unnoticed by everyone because “why would the Hulk have a day job?”

Don't start that again. Lance Hunt wears glasses, Captain Amazing doesn't!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Phanatic posted:

To get Frank to (a) be afraid for his life and (b) feel betrayed by Michael so that he squeals on Michael to the Senate Committee and gets his criminal enterprise demolished by the government. In other words, Roth wants the government to do what he can't. The idea is that Frank *isn't* going to be dead anyhow, the hit was staged to drive Frank into the arms of the government and witness protection.

Except...no (?)

The hit was set up to murder Pantangeli and was only thwarted and interrupted by the curious cop who happened to wander by during the murder, otherwise Frank is a dead man as planned.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Prof hulk wears glasses cause banner wears glasses.

Does he? I don't remember that in the movies but you could be right.

How'd he find a pair that loving big? Stark? Or are they home made?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Back to front

Cryte Lynn
Jul 25, 2005
Now serving pwncakes at the Roflhouse

Pilchenstein posted:

He is a policeman, in fiction there are rules for policemen.

ftfy

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

There’s an enormous amount of youtube comparing suppressed and unsuppressed weapons, although probably not of the quality used by special forces. I’ve heard tall tales suggesting you can suppress weapons enough that the action cycling is louder than the report.

Those are usually integrally suppressed firing special cold loaded ammo. Sticking a can on the end is going to have a lot less noise reduction than something designed from the ground up to be quiet with all sorts of super expensive fancy parts and a lot of maintenance. Even those remain pretty loud, people who don’t shoot often underestimate how loud working an action is. My downstairs neighbors can hear it clearly if I’m cleaning a rifle in my living room.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

On the upside, they're probably afraid to complain about the noise.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Anybody who's ever been to an indoor gun range (or, I imagine, been unfortunate enough to have been around guns fired indoors for a different reason) appreciates those few movies that take pains to show deafeningly loud guns fired indoors are. I can only think of a few movies that deal with the sheer volume of guns at all, indoors or out. Heat, famously. Black Hawk Down. That car scene in Snatch. Weirdly enough, one of the National Lampoon's movies? Also Archer doesn't sound realistic to the audience, but they frequently acknowledge how literally deafening shooting guns indoors is.

I haven't rewatched it in a long time because that poo poo is bleak, but I remember Children of Men seeming really realistic regarding gunfights. Every single bullet felt genuinely dangerous and the characters looked properly scared for their lives, even the ones who were armed.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Imagined posted:

I haven't rewatched it in a long time because that poo poo is bleak, but I remember Children of Men seeming really realistic regarding gunfights. Every single bullet felt genuinely dangerous and the characters looked properly scared for their lives, even the ones who were armed.

I rewatch that movie once a year-ish and it’s incredible. The long takes mean that the tension just keeps building and the way the characters are just increasingly burnt out makes it succeed at being a movie where the action scenes aren’t “gently caress yeah” but instead “gently caress gently caress fuckfuckfuckfuck”

I usually have someone who’s never seen it before watch it with me because their reactions remind me of what it was like when I saw it for the first time. Just an intense fuckin’ movie. My friends and I saw it in theatres and no one said a word for like twenty minutes after it was done.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

His sphincter gets tighter the angrier he gets, so it’s the first thing he does after reverting back to Banner.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

But then Banner has to take a Hulk sized poo poo

How I envy him!

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

Except...no (?)

The hit was set up to murder Pantangeli and was only thwarted and interrupted by the curious cop who happened to wander by during the murder, otherwise Frank is a dead man as planned.

Right, that's why I'm saying that theory doesn't make much (any) sense to me. The proponents are saying that the cop was part of the staging, showing up to conveniently thwart the plan and provide the excuse for how Frank escapes. That doesn't work for me, because the hit men sure don't act like they're expecting the cop to show up, the cop's not acting like he's in on it, and even blows away one of the hit men. I mean, it's one thing to say "Start to kill him, and then this cop'll walk in and you can run and start busting caps everywhere to make it look god." But that's not what happens. It's sure not the text.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Angrily.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

DrBouvenstein posted:

What I never liked about Demolition Man was everyone in the future acts like John Spartan/the 90's were SO LONG ago and everyone was a violent sex monster.

Yet...the captain of the precinct was probably born in the 80's or early 90's...we SEE Spartan's former partner working a desk job, so it's not like a good portion of these people have no experience with actual violence or weapons.

It really should have been set more like 100 years in the future, not 50ish.

My problem with Demolition Man is that it is set in a world that has completely eliminated poverty, hunger and homelessness and hasn't had a single violent crime in 20 years but we're supposed to identify with Dennis Leary living in a sewer eating rats because he likes to say swears. The only thing that makes San Angeles a dystopia is the existence of Rob Schneider.

Movie rules though. Too bad Wesley Snipes went insane and doesn't make movies anymore

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

800peepee51doodoo posted:

My problem with Demolition Man is that it is set in a world that has completely eliminated poverty, hunger and homelessness and hasn't had a single violent crime in 20 years but we're supposed to identify with Dennis Leary living in a sewer eating rats because he likes to say swears. The only thing that makes San Angeles a dystopia is the existence of Rob Schneider.

Movie rules though. Too bad Wesley Snipes went insane and doesn't make movies anymore

They haven't eliminated poverty, they've basically made it illegal. Denis Leary is a homeless guy who was forced underground with other people who were subsequently ignored by the rich people enjoying the utopia.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Android Apocalypse posted:

It was kind of wild hearing the subsonic .22lr bullet hitting the backstop & noticing it was about as loud as the pistol's report.

The US Marines will standardize the use of suppressors for all units, but at the moment it's mostly the higher-end special forces that get suppressors. Funny thing is that for the US military's requirements, sound suppression is on the bottom of the list of what they want suppressors to do; higher up is flash suppression, minimizing point-of-aim shift, and minimizing back pressure. Considering most units are still shooting bullets that travel faster than the speed of sound, you get the supersonic crack no matter what.

Also remember that a lot of the time, you want the enemy to hear they're being shot at so they take cover or run away. Suppressive fire is less effective if the enemy don't know they're being suppressed.

Morpheus posted:

Hey Sally, have you uh...you know Frank, right? Has anyone ever mentioned that he might, you know-"
"Tim you had better not say he's the Hulk or something. Why would the Hulk work here? That's ridiculous. Anyway HR brought it up before, it's some skin condition or something, he's really sensitive about it so try not to bring it up?"

As with so many things, this reminds me of a bit from a Seanbaby article:

quote:

"You must be the new resident. Welcome to Bellevue! Through here is our break room, where you can hear one of our surgeons secretly exploding into the Mighty Thor. Do your best to pretend like you don't notice. Oh, but if you're closer than 20 feet when he starts doing it, drop the act and just run."
I really like the idea that secret identities are just something the people around the superhero play along with. There was a Wolverine storyline where he was pretending to be some regular guy, and he finally had to reveal he was Wolverine in front of Spiderwoman. She basically replied "Well, duh." When he asked why she didn't say anything sooner, she said something like "When the guy with adamantium claws and anger control issues is pretending to be someone else, you go along with it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah that was Wolverine running around Madripoor as "Patch" a guy who looks exactly like Wolverine, except he wears an eyepatch.